Boston to Birmingham Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
qhml1
qhml1
8,987 Followers

She had only one call to make.

"Aunt Daisy, I need your help."

She explained about Melissa, and how she wanted to make her life better. Daisy listened to her for about five minutes, before interrupting her.

"I think I've got it. I'll be over in thirty minutes. Have her ready to go out."

Without waiting for a reply she hung up.

She found Melissa talking to Mr. Hendricks about flowers.

"Honey, go freshen up. Your great aunt Daisy is coming by and wants to meet you."

..................................................

Daisy showed up on time, with Marcus. She didn't get out. Marcus rang the bell, and told them they were expected in the car. Of course they were in his Cadillac.

Daisy had Melissa sit in the back to 'get acquainted'. Gwen had no idea where they were going so she just decided to trust Aunt Daisy and spent the time talking to Marcus about history. He was lead intern on an excavation of a Civil War site, and was very excited about it.

They stopped in a part of uptown Birmingham Gwen had been through but hardly noticed.

"Why are we here?"

"Clothes. The girl needs school clothes, and our family has been buying clothes here for six generations."

It was a small shop, but Gen realized they were in the hands of experts and relaxed.

They measured Melissa from head to toe, making notes. When they were done they brought out a small selection of dresses they thought would be appropriate. Gwen, who had been dressed by some of the top designers in the world, was awed by the craftsmanship.

Daisy picked four without consulting Gwen or Melissa. She took Melissa by the hand.

Now, child, I've picked out the basics, you pick three more."

It took another hour of fittings and lively discussion before she had another three.

Daisy stood abruptly.

"Time to go. We got other people to visit."

Melissa was shocked.

"Aren't we going to take the dresses?"

Daisy laughed at her confusion.

"No, they'll be delivered later. They have to be tailored to your exact measurements. If your weight is going to change, make sure you lose instead of gain, it's easier to take in than let out."

Nothing was said about payment, so Gwen decided to ask Daisy later. Marcus was dozing in the car, saying he would feel more comfortable in a cave filled with rattlers than a dress shop. They left him, walking three doors down.

It was a shoe store, and they spent ninety minutes picking out four pair, two flats, two with one inch heels. The colors coordinated with the dresses. Daisy said anything higher on a young girl looked cheap, except for formal occasions. Once again, payment was never discussed.

On the way to yet another shop, Melissa worked up the nerve to ask Aunt Daisy why she needed so many dresses.

"Because the dress code at Pleasant Hill Academy states that you can only wear slacks on Friday, the rest of the week is dresses or skirts only. And slacks means slacks, not jeans."

Melissa and Gwen were stunned. Everybody who was anybody in the state wanted their children to attend Pleasant Hill, but the waiting list was three years long. The place was practically a leadership factory for the South.

"Aunt Daisy, how are we going to get Melissa in Pleasant Hill, you know how long the waiting list is?"

"I'm the principal financial donor, you have no idea how expensive it is to run. If it weren't for alumni support, it would have closed years ago. Our family has been attending the school since it opened. I never thought I would get to see another family member attend, you have no idea how much it means to me."

"Shouldn't we ask Melissa if she wants to go there?"

Daisy snorted.

"Your generation, too soft on your children! But let's ask her, see if she's willing to crush the heart of an old lady and blow the opportunity of a lifetime. Melissa Sue Wilkes, would you like to attend Pleasant Hill?"

Melissa had her head down, and her answer was barely audible.

"Yes."

Daisy tapped her cane.

"Speak up child, old ears aren't as good as they used to be."

"I'd love to go to Pleasant Hill, Aunt Daisy, but I'm just a little redneck girl with no manners. What if I don't fit in? What if they're mean to me? What if they make fun of me?"

Daisy gave her a severe look.

"No one will make fun of you or be mean for long.

You've got Howe blood and money behind you, Canaday money behind you, and if we have to pull out a big stick, we've got Hardy Wilkes behind you. Nobody is dumb enough to buck that combination for long. Now, give your old aunt a thank you kiss."

Melissa kissed her cheek and held her hand the rest of the way home, talking quietly and listening intently.

When they arrived home. Daisy gave Gwen and Melissa both orders. Melissa was to visit Daisy twice a week for instruction in the proper behavior of a Southern lady, and Gwen was to be there for at least one session a week.

"You've got pretty decent manners when your Yankee upbringing doesn't get in the way, this will just fine tune the details. Now that I got the important wardrobe items out of the way, she needs normal teen casual clothes. Nothing too trashy or revealing, remember who you represent, girl! You two can bond over that. Now, give me a kiss and hug, and I'll see you soon."

When she left Gwen apologized to Melissa.

"I'm sorry, baby. I just wanted a little advice, I didn't mean for her to take over your life."

Melissa looked at her like she was crazy.

"Are you kidding? I just got a whole wardrobe of custom tailored clothes, a guarantee into the most exclusive school in the South, and hopefully the love and backing of probably the two richest women in the state. The luckiest day of my life was when I met you. Thank you. I'll do my best to make you proud."

The hug was intense, Melissa was trying to put love and gratitude into every cell.

"Well," she grinned, "what are we gonna do the rest of the weekend?"

Gwen had been thinking about it. The first thing they did was take the Hendricks to a car dealership, after asking if they had a brand preference. Mr. Hendricks liked Chevrolet, so the stopped there first. When they left, he was driving a three quarter ton pickup, his 'company truck'.

Mrs. Hendricks had always admired her sisters' Dodge van, so they went there and bought a top of the line Town and Country. She could use it to take Melissa places when she wasn't available.

Then, they tried out four wheel drive SUVs until she settled on a Range Rover. She had purchased her beloved little Focus, and she secretly thought it would make a great starter car for a teenage girl.

................................................

They managed to go to some upscale department stores for her 'casual' clothes, and she started to wonder if she could use another closet. All the clothes she had owned her whole life didn't add up the volume she had now.

Gwen took her to a salon to have her ends trimmed and hair conditioned. They also got manicures and pedicures while they were there, a first for Melissa.

Sunday night Gwen heard noises from her room and went to check on her. She was lying across the bed, crying.

She rushed to her side.

"what's wrong, baby?"

She sniffled.

"I'm afraid. Afraid this is just a dream, and I'll wake up in my old trailer. Afraid if I wake up and I'm still here no one will like me at school. I wasn't raised rich, I won't know how to act."

"Honey, honey, it is a dream, but it's mine. You'll do just fine. Remember, you're representing two of the oldest families in the state, Wilkes and Howe, and their blood runs in your veins. I've read a lot of history on both sides, and cowardice doesn't seem to run in the family. Now, go to sleep, I want you rested for tomorrow."

...............................................

She was escorted to school the next day by both Daisy and Gwen, and the headmaster all but threw roses in front of them as they walked.

"I can't believe it, a Howe back in Pleasant Hill, order is restored to the universe!"

They reviewed her academic records, and it was agreed she would spend half the day in regular classes, half being tutored privately, to get her back in the right grade for next year. She proved to be bright, willing to work hard, and goal oriented. Her biggest fear was disappointing Aunt Daisy and Aunt Gwen.

She cautiously made friends. Aunt Daisy had developed her self confidence by taking her out to meet her friends, many of whom were grandparents or great grandparents of her classmates. She actually met some of her schoolmates at their homes.

Melissa was an intelligent child, and the old maxim about being silent and thought a fool versus opening your mouth and removing all doubt stood her in good stead. She said little at first, watching and learning. Soon she had a circle of friends and was doing very well. The fact that everyone knew how much money and power was backing her, and that she was just plain 'hot', helped considerably.

After a few months, Gwen hired a private investigator and tracked down her mother in Florida.

She appeared at her trailer door one day and gave her a choice, sign over permanent custody or come back to Alabama and be prosecuted for felony child endangerment and abuse. If she signed, a small cash exchange would take place.

Her mother remembered her as an a.d.a., and quickly signed. Before Gwen left she gave her a picture of Melissa, and one of her in a group at Pleasant Hill.

"She has a good life now. If she wants to see you I won't stop her, but I will watch you like a hawk. Here's her cell number."

As far as she knew she never called.

Right after Thanksgiving she asked her if she'd like to see her mother. Melissa didn't even look up from her homework.

"I see my mother every day."

Gwen barely made it back to her bedroom before the tears started. When she settled down she took Melissa out and bought her a top of the line smart phone with matching tablet.

One unexpected side effect for Gwen from Melissa moving in was her father. He loved her, and visited a lot more often now that she had the big house. He even took her to Boston for a holiday. She came home with a paper, showing them together at a charity event. The byline identified them as Greg Canaday, with granddaughter Melissa Sue Wilkes. She framed it and hung it in her room, and from that day forward he was grandfather.

He saw Hardy from time to time, mostly for business. He was thinking about opening his own office, and Greg talked him out of it.

"You've got a good life. Why try to fix something that's not broke."

Hardy didn't have a good life. He had family, he had friends, but he was alone. He had finally filed the divorce, when Gwen got the final notice she cried for two days. He could never seem to find anybody that measured up to what he had with Gwen, and he had pretty much stopped looking.

Gwen finally starting dating again, even allowing one man into her bedroom while Melissa was on a sleepover. Other than physical relief, she felt nothing.

They both wandered aimlessly through life until, as usual, cataclysmic events threw them together again.

..................................................

Gwen was sound asleep when Melissa burst into her room crying. She immediately hugged her.

"What is it? What's wrong?"

"Grandpa Hardy had a heart attack. Aunt Hildy called, she must have dialed my number by mistake.

They're airlifting him here, he should be arriving soon."

They were up and dressed in a flash, breaking speed limits to get to the hospital. Hildy was there, practically in hysterics. She clung to her

like a drowning person. It was five minutes before she could understand her.

They were having a hard time getting him admitted because he was on Medicare. The bulldog negotiator in her surfaced with a vengeance as she literally charged the desk.

"You've got my grandfather here. What's this bullshit about admissions? Never mind, here."

She took a checkbook out of her pocketbook and signed one, handing it to her.

"Fill in the blanks later. I want the best, top of the line, you hear me? If I find out he didn't get the best care possible, I'll pop so many lawsuits on you this hospital will go under."

A deep voice spoke from right behind her.

"And when she gets done, I'll start. Now get your ass in gear!"

She turned and buried her head in Hardys' chest, sobbing. He gently stroked her hair and back.

"It's all right baby. We'll get him the best care possible. Now, can you go help Aunt Hildy settle down? I think she has Melissa Sue scared to death."

Joshua had triple bypass surgery four hours later, as soon as the team of specialist were flown in.

So many relatives showed up they almost had police direct traffic, and filled waiting rooms on every floor. The staff marveled how a simple old man could be so loved.

Gwen was shocked to find out he was eighty one, she thought he was much younger.

He asked to see Hildy, Gwen, and Hardy before surgery.

"I wanted to make sure I talk to you , just in case. Hildy, you were the daughter I lost, I don't know why you chose to stay with a grumpy old man, but thank you. I love you very dearly."

Hildy collapsed, it was the first time in all the years they were together he ever told her he loved her.

"Gwen, if any one ever told me my favorite granddaughter would be a Yankee, I would have laughed. But you are, and you've become very important to me. I love you."

Gwen let loose with her own torrent of tears.

"Hardy, son, I'm proud of you. I tried to teach you right, and more than once it didn't take, but you turned out just fine."

Hardy has his own tears.

"Now, just in case I don't make it, Hardy, Gwen, I need to tell you something."

"You guys are idiots! I've never seen two people more in love, more foolish in my life. You love each other, you're miserable alone. Why else haven't you guys remarried? I won't be vain enough to try to get you to make promises to an old man who might be about to die, but think about it. I hope I live long enough to say 'I told you so ' when you remarry. There! I've said what the whole family has been thinking since you both moved down here. Now, let me get a little rest before they gut me like a deer."

They were silent when they left, looking at each other with unspoken questions and hope.

Joshua survived, but was in the hospital for an extended time due to infection. Gwen and Hardy spent as much time as possible with him.

They started eating dinner together, keeping conversation to safe topics, Melissa Sue, Joshua, Hildy, the family. Hardy likened the time to kissing a porcupine. Going very slowly, avoiding the quills.

Gwen was hopeful, Melissa even teased her about getting a new dad. Weekends at the farm became the norm, where Gwen assumed the role of Hildy while she was at the hospital.

.................................................

Hardy was starting to smile more. He started looking forward to evenings with Gwen. Josh would grin and tell them to spend time with each other instead of a stubborn old man.

Gwen teased back when Hardy wasn't around, telling him he might just live long enough to say I told you so.

Crystal Anne had finally given up on Hardy, and had started dating a fine young man her age, a state trooper.

She had dropped some forms by his house, and was getting her pistol, a Charter Arms thirty eight, a five shot revolver she could easily slip in her purse, out of his gun safe. Hardy bought it for her when she moved into he own apartment, taught her how to use it, and she turned out to be a pretty good shot. She and her boy friend were going to the gun range.

The doorbell rang and he called out to Crystal, telling her her beau was here.

"Don't out shoot him, girl. He'll never live it down."

He opened the door to come face to face with Ronnie Wilkes. He looked terrible, dirty, malnourished, wild eyed. That he was on drugs was a given. He had dropped out of sight for awhile, taking the money Don Vincente had given him and hiding in Mobile. He started doing drugs to ease the bitterness he felt and before he knew it was hooked. He fumed and obsessed over Hardy, blaming him for all his problems. When the money ran out he did strong arm robberies, picking on the old and the weak. The police were starting to look for him when an old man wouldn't let go of his wallet and he hit him a little too hard. The old man died on the street. He had to get out of town, so he knocked off a drug dealer and boosted his car, taking his drugs, money, and a nine millimeter he found in the dash.

The first thought Hardy had was to warn Crystal, but before he could speak, Ronnie fired into his body four times. Hardy fell to the floor, and Ronnie took deliberate aim at his head.

Crystal had rushed to the living room after hearing the shots, and took everything in at a glance. She didn't hesitate, didn't aim, just raised her pistol and fired. She missed, but not by much. The bullet left a burn across his arm.

He ran from the house. Crystal didn't chase him, dropping to the floor beside Hardy, screaming. Flipping out her phone she called 911, and her boyfriend.

He was almost to the house when the car went flying by him. He called it in while he parked. Crystal had blood all over her as she tried to stop the flow. He knew he was looking at a dead man.

...............................................

But he lived, barely. Air lifted to the same hospital Josh was in.

Gwen heard the chopper, she was used to it by now. She glanced at the clock, Hardy was late and hadn't called. She went down to the main lobby to wait on him.

She heard the nurses chattering as she passed their station.

"I heard they don't expect him to make it, he's lost a lot of blood. Said he'd been shot like a dozen times"

"If anybody can make it he can. That's the toughest man I ever saw. Somebody needs to tell his ex wife, they're always in here about now to see his grandpa, that grouchy old man in 412."

Time slowed as she turned back to the desk. One of the nurses saw her and clapped her hand over her mouth. Gwen twirled and ran to the emergency room.

They could hear her screaming down the hallways as she ran. She got there just as they wheeled him in. Despite their best efforts, blood was seeping around the bandages.

She bowled over two paramedics and an orderly, fighting savagely to get to the gurney. He was still, motionless, even he blond hair seemed listless. For one brief second she thought he was already dead, but his hand fluttered like he was reaching for something.

She immediately latched onto it, refusing to let go. He was trying to say something. They hadn't restrained his arms, and he pulled out the ventilator.

His eyes were open, but he wasn't seeing.

Blood was frothing on his lips, one bullet had punctured a lung.

"Tell Gwen.............tell............."

He lapsed into oblivion.

Gwen remembered screaming she loved him over and over until she became incoherent. She felt a prick, and collapsed.

Awareness found her in a bed, strapped down. Hildy, Daisy, Melissa, and countless relatives were clustered round the room and halls.

"WHERE'S HARDY?" she screamed, struggling with her restraints.

Hildy and Daisy went to her side, trying to sooth her.

"Calm down, child. He's in surgery, will be for awhile."

"How long have I been out?"

"Three hours, they had to sedate you to treat Hardy."

She started trying to get them to remove the restraints.

"Compose yourself, you're not doing anybody any good strapped down. Your young'un is scared to death, look at her. Now, be strong, be calm, and they'll let you go."

"You have to promise not to try to get to Hardy, he won't know you're there, and you'd just fret yourself needlessly."

"Go see Grandpa Hardy, I'm sure he's wondering why neither one of you has been there."

qhml1
qhml1
8,987 Followers