Bound by Pride Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She reached forward and rested a hand on his shoulder. "I know..."

He shook his head and cut her off as he stepped away. "How can you know what it's like? You can't."

She grinned but it was one of melancholy, "Yes I can, a few years ago I was in your shoes."

He glared at her, "You are a woman how can you not know about your own child?"

"Because Fate chose and still chooses to keep me in the dark about her, I gave birth to her... I don't know where... I don't even know who the other woman is or how I came to be pregnant. But I have a grown daughter, grand children and if Tarval gets his way great grand children. I accept that I had no hand in her childhood and that all I can do is be there for her here and now." She explained, it had taken her years to reconcile this knowledge in her mind but she had done it and she knew that he too would be able to come to terms with this.

"Did I hurt her?" He asked softly. "Is that why she fled?"

She sighed, "It's not like that. Imagine finding the man you love, the one man who makes everything else seem pale and insignificant. Then imagine the wildest night she had ever experienced only to have it all snatched away before she even had a chance to come to terms with it all. Then while she grieved your loss, more shock, she's pregnant. She had to lock all that pain away, had to stop grieving and start living if only for me."

"I didn't mean to leave her, I didn't mean to die," he admitted.

She nodded, "I'm sure she knows that. Seeing you again has brought all that pain back. Give her time Da." She steered him back to the bus where Electra was waiting. He watched her surprised.

"You... called me Da." He couldn't describe it, that warm protective feeling that coursed through his veins the moment she called him Da.

"Would you rather I don't, I can do that if you want?" She asked hoping that she hadn't done something to upset him.

"No... I mean yes, you can call me Da." He corrected himself quickly.

She smiled, "Amy, my daughter, she found it hard to call me Ma to begin with, we both had troubles with it, I had just met her and she hadn't long ago lost her adopted parents. But now she calls me Ma, she doesn't exactly treat me as her children treat her but I don't mind."

"I would like to meet her." He told her.

She smiled; "I'm sure she would love to meet you as well." They made it to the bus and climbed in. Electra waited for them to get settled, and then nodded to the driver telling them they were good to go. Electra sat in the seat in front of them. Rhiannon smiled at turned to Lupa who was beside her, "Electra meet your great grandfather Lupa, Da... your great granddaughter Electra."

Electra smiled and held out her hand, "Hi, welcome to the family." She told him pleasantly as he took her hand and gave it a firm shake.

****

Electra woke with a groan as her eyes were assaulted with light. She groped blindly for her visor, which she had put on the side table. She wanted to roll over and get a better reach but she felt another body crammed in beside her, almost underneath her it was so close. Her fingers found the curved shape of her visor and she crammed it on.

She opened one eye slowly just to be sure that this visor was indeed hers; it was and filtered out almost all of the morning light. She glanced down and focused on the body that was pressed up tightly against hers. Her eyes ran down the girl beside her and saw the cast on her leg. This was the girl from the first pen, she thought to herself. Seeking comfort and safety from the woman who comforted and freed her.

There was a gentle knock on the door and a woman popped her head in, she smiled as she watched the little girl wrap her arms around Electra. Sorry about not warning you, she wouldn't settle, Lupa and several women suggested putting her with you to sleep. She was out moments after she was put down.

It's okay. Were you looking for me?

She nodded, Yes some men from the FBI are looking for you.

Electra sighed and went to crawl out of the bed. There was a strangled cry and the arms around her tightened. "It's okay... you can come with me." The arms loosened letting Electra get up; she pulled her shoes on and laced them quickly. She then slid slippers carefully onto the girl's feet. She was squinting as Electra moved her into position to be picked up, though she was a little big to be carried around her leg and body were not up to moving around under her own steam. Her condition was testament to the fact that she had been kept for a long time, she may have even been born into this life. It was no wonder she didn't want to let Electra go.

Electra glanced and spotted a smaller visor, which she had knocked, onto the ground; she picked it up and slid it on her. "I'm Electra... what's your name?"

She didn't answer she just looked straight at Electra. Electra put her hands under the girl's arms and lifted her easily onto her hip keeping the broken leg out the front. She pressed her face to Electra's shoulder and her arms wrapped around her neck.

Dave grinned in amusement as Electra walked up to them. "Who's your friend?" He asked in a friendly manner trying to seem as non-threatening as he could. He patted his pockets and came up with a lollypop, one of many he kept in his pockets to help keep his smoking kicked. He gave it to Electra sensing that the little girl would freak if he went to give it to her directly.

"I don't know." Electra used her teeth to tear the wrapper from the sweet; she sucked on it for a moment then offered it to girl who was clinging to her. She slowly released Electra, freeing her left hand she reached for the sweet, which Electra let her take. She then popped it into her mouth and sucked. At first, she was cautious but she quickly started to enjoy herself, her teeth crushed the lolly to pulp quickly, her body craving the sugar and limited nutrients it contained.

Director Johnston was beside Dave, "I just wanted to ask how you wanted to proceed?"

"How did the other raids go?" She asked, curious.

"The last ones are being carried out as we speak. Global raids started a few hours ago, you wouldn't believe just how big this is." Johnston said with a shake of his head. "So how are we doing this?" Others had pestered him on what to do now, he had ideas but he wanted to run them pass Electra first, she had first hand knowledge in how to proceed correctly without pissing off already angry Alpha's. Normally he wouldn't be turning to an underling but so far, everything she had suggested had been spot on.

"You have the perps I'll take the victims." She answered. "As for what you should do to keep the Alphas from getting pissed, as long as you act firmly with the perps the alphas won't get angry."

"Anything else I should know?" He asked.

Electra smiled, "Yep... a phone number." He got out his pen and a pad, she rattled off the number. "It belongs to my Ma. If you have any questions ask her, she's not really that intimidating and she can help you out in ways you couldn't imagine."

He nodded and tucked the number into his top jacket pocket for safekeeping. "Okay I'll leave you to it." he turned and went to leave.

"Wait..." He turned back to Electra who continued, "you'll want to warn the DA that the Alpha's will accept nothing but a minimum sentence of twenty years for everyone involved, no deals or reduced sentences for early pleas. Our informant doesn't count since he helped bring this to an end." She informed him.

He watched her for a moment. "What would have happened if a Were was caught doing this," he asked curiously.

She considered his question for all of a nano second, "That's easy... they did it to my biological father and his pack, their lives would be forfeit, no questions, no trial, instant death." She explained with almost no emotion, it was simple fact and nothing would stop that from happening. Johnston blanched at her answer but wasn't completely surprised with it, there was no Were jail and he knew there were Were criminals just like with humans.

Electra turned to the bundle in her arms, "How about we get something real to eat?" She asked her bundle who nodded in response. She turned to Dave, "I'm sure we can find something for you to do."

He smiled and held up a little blue book with silver leaf, "I have a book to read and a post to man." He walked off.

She turned and followed her nose to the mess hall. She wasn't the only one wanting a feed, the night before they had managed to free seventy-three people from the auction house and almost all but the really bad cases were in the mess slowly eating the food on offer. Electra spotted Rhiannon and Lupa and went to join them; she gently sat the girl down.

"This is my grandma Rhiannon and my great grandda Lupa; I'm just going to get us breakfast." She slowly backed away, if the girl freaked she would be back quickly. She made it to the serving benches and grabbed a tray, she grabbed a bowl of porridge, which she loaded with honey and cream, and then she grabbed a bowl of fruit salad and a cup of juice. Electra returned and put the tray down before her. "Eat slowly," she warned and went to get her own breakfast.

A woman joined her at the counter. Electra turned and studied her; she had been one of the women in the first pen. The woman glanced to the table then back to Electra. "How is she?" the woman asked.

"Scared, do you know her name?" Electra asked.

She shook her head, "No, I even asked around, but I haven't found out about her. Most barely noticed she was there."

"Don't beat your self up; you were all in a bad situation. When she's ready she'll talk." Electra grabbed her breakfast and put it on her tray; she then grabbed a coffee and returned to her table.

Electra sat next to her young charge and watched her play with her food, as if she didn't know what it was. Electra took her spoon, dipped it into the porridge, and put it in her mouth. "Needs chocolate sauce." She told them as she stood and went back to the counter to ask one of the servers for chocolate sauce. She returned and poured some into her porridge then mixed it in.

Rhiannon pulled a face, "Why... why do you have to have almost everything with chocolate sauce?" She asked with a slightly disgusted look, she was eating the porridge as well and she knew it was some of the best she had ever tasted.

"Because it's good." Electra said as she dug in. She watched her charge from the corner of her eye, she was watching her eat, she dug out a bit and offered her a taste. "Try it, if you don't like it then you don't and that's okay."

She carefully took some into her mouth; she chewed and tasted for a moment then pulled a face but forced herself to swallow.

Rhiannon laughed, "See I'm not the only one who thinks your eating habits are bad."

"Eat your porridge, it'll build your strength and help you heal." Electra told her gently trying not to be too firm or demanding on the little girl.

She started to eat but slowly. A woman stopped by and put some berries in, "Try it, I think you like it."

She looked up and then down at her bowl, she scooped some up some of the berries with the porridge and put it in her mouth, chewing cautiously. The flavours danced across her tongue, she found herself craving more and went for another spoonful.

"Here." The same woman dumped some more berries into the bowl and some into the fruit salad then walked off.

"Slow down, you'll make yourself sick." Electra reprimanded her gently. "There is plenty of food, it isn't going to run out and it isn't going to be taken from you."

She forced herself to chew this mouthful and swallowed slower.

"Try the juice." Rhiannon prompted gently.

She reached for the glass and lifted it to her lips, she sipped at the orange juice and found herself wanting to gulp that down as well, she forced herself to stop after the second mouthful and put the glass down. The cooks had gone to the healers for help with a menu that would help the recently released Weres heal faster. The healers suggested easy to eat foods, not spicy but rich in carbohydrates and vitamins. The cooks had then gone on to create a menu that was simple but well crafted. Breakfast was porridge and fruit salad, lunch was going to be a thick hearty beef stew with mashed potatoes, and dinner was going to be a yummy chicken and corn soup with crusty bread. Snacks would be on offer day and night, they would be denied almost nothing in the way of food.

One of the healers approached Electra, "I need to speak to you."

Electra stood and turned to her charge, "My grandma will watch you while I'm gone, be good for her."

She nodded.

Electra stood and followed him out of the mess and into the wing of the haven, which was the medical side of the setup. He walked her into a room and closed the door. "I set that girl's leg, gave her a once over and found this." He handed her a photo, branded into the small of her back was what appeared to be an arrowhead and a horseshoe. "I hoped that we could trace the brand to someone who would know more; we found one other with the same brand only hers is on her cheek and... she's not going to last much longer." He told her regretfully

"Take me to her." She asked.

He nodded and led her to the critical ward; four others were in the beds being watched around the clock. He walked her to a woman who was so thin her body barely showed in the sheets. A machine beeped slowly, indicating that her heart was still beating. Electra felt her heart go out to this woman, "Does anyone know her name?" She turned to the healer who had brought her here.

"Madeline Koravic, a member of a small pride of snow leopards called Frostbite, they live in the Rockies. Declared missing nearly thirteen years ago, she was fifteen." He handed her a file, "She has a distinctive birthmark so we could match her easily to those in our missing files."

"How long?"

He shrugged, "Something is making her cling to life, we don't understand how she can still be with us."

She sighed, she knew what had Madeline clinging to life so desperately, only a mother had this kind of will, she needed to know her child was safe and free, and she was fighting the fates to do so. She sat on the bed and took the frail woman's hand. Her eyes opened slightly.

"She's safe..." Electra told her.

Sudden strength surged through the woman and her grip on Electra boarded on painful. "You... only... you..."

Electra nodded, "I'll take care of her." She promised sensing that Madeline was losing this battle. "Her name?"

The strength started to leave her grip, "never..."

"Okay... who did this?" Electra asked quickly.

"Nate... Archer..." Madeline's heart stuttered; her grip faded further.

"I promise, she will be safe." Electra told her hoping to give her comfort as she passed. Madeline's heart beat once then a long gap, the machine monitoring her heart started to alarm as she flat lined, there was one last beat as her heart tried to keep going but it lost his fight and her heart stopped. The healer turned the machine off to quiet the alarm.

Electra took a deep breath and stood. "How quickly can you perform an autopsy?"

He thought quickly for a moment, "We can start within the hour; we can have her burning before dusk." He followed her movements with his eyes as she pulled the sheet up to cover Madeline.

She snatched her visor off to rub her eyes as she stood up; she ran her fingers through her hair. She slid her visor on and hit the wall to vent her anger leaving an imprint of her fist on the brick surface. She glanced up and spotted the camera, which was focused on Madeline's body.

"That has audio right?" She asked nodding in the direction of the camera.

He glanced up at the camera and nodded.

"I need a copy of it." She told him.

"Within the hour." He told her. She went to leave, "What will you call her?" He asked.

She turned to him, "The obvious... she will be named for her mother... Madeline." She stood in the corridor that ran down the middle of the room, her eyes rested on the other three, two were women and one was a man. Lupa found her there ten minutes later, she hadn't moved, her eyes were too busy cataloguing everything she could see, everything that had been done to them. Nothing her father had ever done to her measured up to what she knew these people had been through. She had suffered everything that they had, but still she had been treated better then them. Her father had known how to keep her without killing her if she had been mortal, had allowed her time to recover after each act.

Lupa rested a hand on her shoulder, she turned to him then back to the man who was getting infected wounds cleaned. "And they called us monsters."

He sighed, "It's not like that and you know it," he told her quietly, "I've had a long time to study humans, and have come to the conclusion that humans are not much different to us, they have a beast, a darker side which can take control of their lives... it lives within them. Most humans, the good ones fight that darkness within them but they can never get rid of it completely. But there are those humans who don't fight it and they become twisted. The same can be said for Were, but I believe that we are the lucky ones, we accept the beast within us and can release it without causing harm, humans shun their beast and are only half alive because of it." He turned her away and started to walk her from the room.

"I read a anecdote somewhere that there are two wolves inside of every person's heart, one called hate, one called love who are constantly at war with each other, fighting to be the only one who lives in the heart. A young man asked his father when he was told this, who would win, his father answered, the one you feed," he told her as they stopped just outside the mess, where Rhiannon was showing little Madeline a card game. "Do not feed Hate, you haven't the time for it, that little girl needs you."

She nodded.

He watched her for a moment. "I've also found that the paths immortals lead is always a hard one. Yours is no harder then some I have seen, it is how you cope with your path that matters not what obstacles are thrown in your way."

"You sound like my Ma; she compares life to a rose, the good and the bad living side by side. 'Life is like a rose, you have to take the good with the bad, like the thorns on a rose', she says. She then smiles and says, 'have you noticed that the rose with the nastiest thorns has the sweetest scent.'" She told him with a sigh. "Should I tell her about her mother, that she clung to life to ensure that her daughter got the freedom she wouldn't have." She asked him.

He shrugged wishing he had the answers for her, "I don't know, I'm new to this family scene." He paused for a moment, "It depends, but I would ask your Ma. She seems to be wise in ways I am not."

She nodded and gestured him to go ahead as she pulled her phone out of her pocket. She stepped away from the door and dialled her mother. It rung twice before her mother's stressed voice greeted her.

"Hi Ma... what's wrong?"

There was a chuckle, "Jesse is making a pest of himself, demanding to see his Alpha. I'm tempted to kick his arse just to prove that I can and tell him to back off."

Electra frowned, "Why not be honest with him, he will be able to help diffuse any problems that might arise for when they do find out. You won't be able to keep it from them forever, they'll see the evidence the first time she shifts in front of another."

There was silence for a few minutes, "Damn... you're right, why I didn't think of it that way."

It was Electra's turn to chuckle, "Because you are protecting her for me, keeping people from her until she is ready." Electra took a deep breath, "I need to tell you... a woman just died."