Breaking the Rule

Story Info
Don't go out after dark.
3.5k words
4.39
21.6k
34
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
madmage
madmage
10 Followers

Don't go out after dark. That was the number one rule. Every man, woman and child knew that rule. Everyone could name a friend, a relative who had died breaking that rule. Because after the sunset, the demons had free reign. They walked the streets and flew through the skies. And they made war with the Fellowship. So why, Catherine wondered, was she running down the street an hour after sundown?

It had been a lovely date. Eric had taken her to her favorite restaurant. Afterwards he had taken her to see the new romantic-comedy that she loved, and knew he hated. He had spent the evening waiting on her hand and foot. He complemented her on her clothes and even noticed her new earrings. It had been a almost been a perfect evening. Except Catherine knew Eric only paid this much attention to her when he wanted her forgiveness.

"You're what!?"

"I'm joining the Fellowship," Eric repeated, "I already passed the initiate exam."

The Fellowship of the Light. Warriors against the Demon Scourge. Protectors of the People. Or so their propaganda said. In Catherine's opinion the Fellowship were a bunch of bullies who didn't pay attention to what they were doing. A good number of people felt there would be far less demon attacks if the Fellowship would stop trying to fight.

Eric ran his hand over his shaved head,"Look, Cath. I really don't think the Fellowship is that bad. If you would just..."

"Manhattan."

In the early days of the demons, the Fellowship had found a nest in the subways under the island. Resolving to burn out the infestation, they had sent in a team armed to the teeth. Hours later what was left of the team came out screaming. What had been advertised as a simple mission had turned into a firefight that spilled into the streets, with the Fellowship losing. People were evacuated, but it wasn't easy to get a million people out of a war zone. Many people people got out just fine. Others made deals with the demons to survive. And all too many, like Catherine's aunt got caught in the crossfire. The demons ruled Manhattan now. Of course some believed the propaganda that said the Fellowship stopped a demon invasion from taking over the entirety of New York City. People like Eric.

"Don't think your going to change my opinion Eric." Catherine seethed. "Dammit you know why I don't like them!"

"Cath, just because you know someone who died, doesn't make the Fellowship the bad guys."

"It's not just because I know someone who died Eric," Her voice was quiet, she rarely yelled when angry. Eric knew she was furious when he had to lean in close enough to see the emerald fire in her eyes."It's because they go and start fights in the middle of populated area's and don't care who gets caught in the crossfire. And you're joining them?"

"Look, Cath I don't expect you to understand but..."

"You're right Eric," Catherine interrupted, "I don't understand. And I'm leaving." With that she grabbed her purse and headed for the door.

Eric sat up at that, "Cathy wait, it's too late to be going out!"

"Goodbye, Eric."

There had been plenty of time until sunset. Or so she had thought. Instead she had gotten off at the wrong stop. Instead of getting back on the train she had decided to walk down the street for a bit. Then the streetlights turned on. She started to walk faster. She looked up.

Dark shapes stirred on the rooftop. Wings stretched and claws scratched on stone. One shape jumped from one roof to another across the street. The demons were awake.

Catherine started to run. Fear gave her wings as she raced down the street. She skidded around a corner and bounced off of a parked car. She ran and ran. She ran until she heard a gunshot ring out.

Catherine slid to a stop and stared at the body that landed in the middle of the street. The long mass of wings writhed on the ground trying to get back into the air. Another figure dropped on top of the demon and started tearing into its opponent. A grotesque distorted human face looked up from the demon's corpse, blood dripping from its fangs.

Catherine froze as the vampire crawled of its victim and headed towards her. She felt a scream welling up in her throat when a black bolt of power slammed into the monster, flattening it. Then the fight broke out in earnest. Humans stepped out of alley ways and from behind cars, guns raised. Vampires slipped their leashes to crawl up the sides of buildings. Armored demons dropped to the street swords in hand.

The same fear that had frozen her only moments ago now forced Catherine to move. Looking around she saw that she was standing next to a truck. Grabbing the handle, and pulling the miraculously unlocked door open, she crawled into the cab. Closing the door she hit the power locks and slid beneath the passenger seat. Flashes lit up the street as guns barked. The truck rocked as bolts of demon magic crashed down next to it. She buried her face in her hands, doing her best to muffle her cries.

Then it was quite.

Catherine held still to scared to move. Afraid of what might still be out there. Tapping on the windshield made her look up. A skeletal shadow loomed in the truck as a vampire scratched at the glass. It saw Catherine looking and hissed.

"Who's in there?" A voice shouted, a man's voice. At the sound of that voice Catherine almost relaxed. Almost. She could still see that vampire scratching at the truck's windshield. "Come out now!"

She still didn't move. There was something in that man's voice that chilled her. She didn't trust that voice. Didn't trust the vampire that scratched at the glass. She didn't move. She couldn't move.

"Come out now!" The vampire leapt from the hood to the top of the cab. Another figure appeared through the windshield, this one fully human. Catherine stared down the muzzle of the rifle pointed down at her. "Come out now, or I will fire!"

Still, Catherine didn't move, terror holding her in place. Then she found her voice, "Please. Someone. Anyone.

"Save me."

Why are so many humans fools? The dark lady looked down at the wrecked street. Cars lay on their sides or completely overturned. More than one was a blazing ruin. Bodies, demon and human, lay broken among the wreckage. And none of this would have happened if the cursed Fellowship hunters hadn't shot down a harmless messenger.Her eyes fell on the shredded body. Truly harmless, even without the Pact. And by killing it the human had opened itself to retaliation. Its fellows had defended it of course, leading to the devastation below.

Her gaze was drawn to a human and vampire team at the edge of the destruction. The human herded its vampire over to a truck that had somehow survived the battle. She watched as the vampire crawled onto the vehicle. The human seemed to be getting excited. It brandished its weapon and said something at the vehicle. It brandished its weapons again, before giving a command to its vampire.

The creature moved out of its master's way as the human climbed on top of the vehicle. It yelled for someone to come out. Then she heard something. A whisper even her ears shouldn't have been able to detect.

"Save me."

Before the sound faded, she was already airborne, dark wings swept back, magic assisting her flight down the dark street. The human never saw her coming. A taloned hand tore him open. The vampire lunged for its master's killer, but a fiery blast threw it back. She dropped to the street as bullets screamed past, grunting when one grazed her arm. Turning back to the truck, she severed the door from the vehicle with a flash of fiery magic. In human strength sent the door spinning into the Fellowship hunters gathered against her. Another bullet bounced off her armor as she pulled the limp figure out of the truck and into her arms. She launched herself into the night sky, disappearing into the darkness.

A ledge halfway up the tall building sat wreathed in shadows. A perfect place for her to perch and study the human in her arms. Clawed feet easily held her in place as black claws brushed a lock of strawberry blonde hair out of the woman's face. Something stirred in the demons heart as she looked down at that face. It wasn't love. She had lived too long to mistake it for that emotion. But it was there. An infatuation that could become more. The demon's heart leapt as emerald eyes fluttered open.

Catherine first became aware of the strong arms cradling her. Then she opened her eyes. Looking down at her were black eyes set in a face of darkest crimson. Above those eyes were rows and columns of horns instead of hair. She was in the arms of a demon. And she was not afraid.

Her heart hummed in her chest. But it wasn't with the fear that had sent her flying down a dark street. It wasn't the fear that had made her tremble as a battle raged around her. It wasn't the fear that had held her frozen when another human had pointed a gun at her. She couldn't quite place the feeling that raced through her, but it wasn't fear.

"Hold tight," Before Catherine could respond to that soothing whisper, a sharp drop mad her wrap her arms around the demon's crimson neck. And then she was flying.

The demon beat her wings, rising above the skyline. Catherine looked down to see the streets racing past below as the demon glided to her destination. Landing on a roof, the demon gently set Catherine on her feet. Straightening, Catherine turned to get her first clear look at her rescuer.Slightly taller than Catherine's modest height, she had black talons on each finger resting on the massive bicep of the opposite arm, folded across a blackened steel breastplate. A leather skirt covered muscular legs ending in clawed feet.

"You saved me."

"Yes."

"Why?"

"I don't know," she looked down at her talons, "I heard your call and acted. I cannot explain why."

"Oh," Catherine felt the night catch up with her. The fight with Eric. The run through dark streets. She had to sit down, and she pulled her legs to her chest. Then she thought of the man with the gun. "Did you kill him?"

The demon didn't need to ask as she sat cross-legged next to the human. "Yes. Does that bother you?"

"I'm not sure," Catherine confessed. Her feelings were definitely confused. While she had no love for the Fellowship, it felt strange to think that one of their members would have killed her. In contrast the demon, a supposed enemy of mankind, had saved her life. A long silence passed between the pair. Then Catherine reached over and put her hand on the demon's knee. "I don't even know your name."

The dark lady smiled revealing sharp teeth. "My true name is impossible for the human mouth to pronounce. However, I find Valkyr to be an acceptable substitute."

"Valkyr." Catherine let the name roll in her mouth. She liked the way it felt. "My name is Catherine Hedgekins. Thank you for saving me Valkyr."

You are welcome." Her smile turned into a frown. "Why were you out at night by yourself? Let alone in the middle of that fight."

Catherine hesitated, embarrassed to bring up the argument with Eric. Especially with a demon. "I had an argument with my boyfriend. About him joining the Fellowship. It didn't go very well. So I was going home."

Valkyr couldn't believe what she was hearing. "You mean to say that a man who believes in the tenets of the Fellowship let you walk out his door after nightfall? And he is supposed to care for you? Did he even try to stop you?"

"Well it wasn't dark out when I left his apartment." Catherine said, "I thought I could get home before sunset. I was pretty angry. Eric tends to avoid me when I get angry."

Valkyr cursed, The demonic tongue ringing strangely in Catherine's human ears. "If you were mine, I would have made you stay."

"Made me?" Catherine raised an eyebrow. None of her boyfriends had ever had the courage to make her do anything. "What makes you think you could have made me?"

Valkyr's didn't hesitate. She rolled on top of the human woman, pinning Catherine beneath her. Black eyes looked down into a sea of emeralds, "What makes you think I couldn't?"

Catherine's heart raced. Mere hours ago, she had been on a date with her boyfriend. Now she was on a rooftop, where she didn't know, flirting with a demon. Her heart skipped a beat with the realization that she was flirting. She looked down from the black eyes to Valkyr's lips. She wondered if they were as soft as they looked. Then she noticed they were getting closer. Her own lips parted as the demon pressed herself against the human.

Sparks flew. Catherine felt little flashes burst inside her, unlike anything she'd ever felt before. She had kissed girls before, but something was different this time. No one, man or woman had sent a fire racing through her like Valkyr had with a single kiss. A tongue probed at her lips and she opened to let it pass. Long and slender, it somehow filled her mouth, taking her with a passion she'd never felt from anyone. Suddenly she was no longer on the ground, but in Valkyr's lap, looking down at the demon as their kiss continued, feeding the fire that was building inside her.

Valkyr could feel that fire burning in the human woman. It was building in her as well. It called seductively, whispering a promise of passion, of power. It promised a bond they would tie the two women together for the rest of their lives. With a groan, Valkyr pulled herself from the kiss. Catherine whined, and tried to resume the kiss. Valkyr stopped her, a million things to say racing through her mind. Catherine had to understand what was about to happen, or else it couldn't happen. So many things to be said but before Valkyr could speak, two words fell from Catherine's lips.

"Save me."

It was enough. Valkyr lunged, pressing her lips against Catherine's neck. Magic flowed from that point, racing down the human's chest.

Catherine moaned, digging her nails into her lovers flesh, marking Valkyr, as the demon marked her with the fires of their passion. Then, as the raging fire reached its peak, she threw back her head and screamed her climax into the night sky.

The persistent buzzing of her alarm woke Catherine up. She sat up, rubbing the sleep out of her eyes. Looking down she noticed that she was still wearing her clothes from last night. For a moment she looked at them confused. Then the previous night came rushing back. The fight with Eric. Running through the streets. The vampire on the truck. Valkyr. The fire on the rooftop. The flight through the night sky.

She got up and walked over to the mirror. Catherine opened her blouse and looked at the mark Valkyr had left on her. The black swirling pattern covered her from just above her waistline to just below her collarbone. She studied it a bit more trying to trace the pattern. She gave up, the pattern kept changing.

She decided to take a shower. She stripped off her clothes and was heading down the hall in nothing but a towel. when she heard a sound from the living room. Catherine slowly tiptoed over and looked around the corner. In the middle of the living room was a small creature climbing up a precarious stack of books, one stool and a chair. The creature stood on top of the pile and reached for the ceiling fan. Catherine rushed over to catch it as it promptly toppled its perch. Green eyes blinked up at her. "Hiya!"

"Hi," Catherine examined the creature she was holding. It, she, Catherine thought as she took in the three rows of breasts, looked mostly like a three foot a tall human with black hair and pale skin. "What are you?"

"Imma Kitty Cat!" With a twist the "Kitty Cat" drops down and raises her arms above her head, showing her nude body to the confused human. "I've got kitty ears." She twitched the pointed ears that sat on top of her head, "A kitty tail." She turned and shook her rear end. "And kitty teeth!" She grinned, showing her needle teeth. "Imma Kitty Cat!"

"A "Kitty Cat" with glowing red eyes?"

"They are?" She ran over to the sink and pulled out a pot. She peered into the curved surface. "They are! I wonder why?"

Catherine reached over and plucked a yellow sticky note off of the cat's back. "What's this?"

The cat looked at the note. "It's a sticky note. Oh! You're supposed to call that number! Mistress said to tell you that."

"Mistress? Who is Mistress?" And why am I taking this so calmly? Catherine thought.

"Mistress is Mistress!" The cat said brightly. "She's really tall! As tall as you! And pretty like you too!"

Catherine felt flattered, though she did think that cat's opinion might be biased. But she did start dialing. They picked up on the first ring. "Hello, Catherine."

"Hello, Valkyr." She smiled. Now it made sense, "Why is there someone claiming to be a "Kitty Cat" in my apartment?"

"That is an imp. A thing created when a demon transfers some of its blood and power to a dying animal. in this case a young cat." Valkyr explained. "I won't always be near you, so I assigned a guardian to keep you safe Bonded." Catherine made an odd noise, "Catherine?"

"She...she's licking herself." Catherine whispered in a tone that was equally shocked and amazed.

"She is a cat," Valkyr was confused, "It is normal for cats to do that. Yes?"

"Not like this." Catherine couldn't help but stare. "She's licking herself between her legs." The cat imp had one legs in the air and was going to town on herself. She had an expression of pure ecstasy on her face and showed no signs of stopping anytime soon.

"She's...Oh, I see." Valkyr amused laugh came over the phone.

"It's not funny," Okay, maybe a little, Catherine thought. "How am I supposed to deal with a naked cat demon any way?"

"She can shift her shape into that of a large domestic cat." was the explanation. "Though you will eventually need documentation for her to accompany you into most public facilities. If you like I can bring them to you later today." An image flashed into her mind of her coworkers seeing the demoness walking through the office. It had an odd appeal.

"I suppose you can bring them over," Catherine said, happy at the thought of seeing Valkyr again. "Are there any other things I should know as your Bonded?"

"Nothing that should arise within the next forty-eight hours." Valkyr replied. "Is see still doing it?"

Catherine glanced over at the imp, "It looks like she's slowing down."

Valkyr chuckled, "Have a nice day Catherine."

"You too, Valkyr." Catherine smiled. Then she looked over at her new cat. "I'm going to take a shower. You had better be done when I get out."

The cat did in fact finish by the time Catherine got out of the shower. When she came back out she found the creature helping herself to a bowl of cereal. "Hello pretty lady. Would you like some too?"

"Yes, thank you." Catherine smiled. The imp's good humor was infectious. It didn't hurt that the cat kept calling her pretty. She needed to come up with a better name than "the imp" though. She thought it over as she worked her way through a bowl of cereal. A number of names came to mind but. ""Do you have a name?"

"Kitty Cat!"

"I know you're a Kitty Cat," and not very bright, Catherine thought. "But what do I call you?"

The imp frowned in concentration. "Pussy?"

"I am not calling you Pussy." The association of that word with the imp brought certain images to mind. "Try again."

"Cunt!"

Catherine choked on her cereal. Startled the imp jumped over the table to pound her on her back. Need to work on her word association, Catherine thought. Leaning back in her chair, she looked directly at the cupboard that concealed her candy stash. "Kit-Cat. How about Kit-Cat?"

"Kit-Cat?" The newly named imp smiled. "KIt-Cat! I like it."

"Great!" Catherine got up and started busying herself with putting breakfast away. "Now I need to get going. Valkyr, your Mistress, said you can change shape. Can you..." Kit-Cat dropped to all fours and changed into a perfectly normal, if somewhat large, black cat. Except of course for the glowing red eyes. "Good enough. Lets go."

madmage
madmage
10 Followers