Brian's Adventures Ch. 09

Story Info
The deal.
10.9k words
4.69
19.3k
2
0

Part 9 of the 17 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 03/16/2002
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
tempter
tempter
48 Followers

Chapter Nine: The Deal

It was not a long walk up the hill to Jealile's house but it seemed like forever to me because of the butterflies in my stomach. I was about to meet Jealile's Father for the first time and ask him for her hand. I knew that in this land it was not required but in this instance it was. For I was not only asking for the hand of his daughter, but a sizable dowry as well so the courtesy of a visit seemed in order. I was doubly nervous because I needed his help to get to Kincaid more than his blessing to marry Jealile. She was already intent on marrying me and would do so even if her Father refused to give his blessing. That much I knew and at least I took that small but steadfast comfort with me into this awkward situation.

As we rounded the last turn and headed up the street that her house resided on I could tell that this was the better part of town. Even on a strange island, some things are the same; the rich don't want to associate with the common folk. These houses were massive in comparison to the ones I had seen in other parts of the city. On average, houses in this area of Teroncia were about twice the size of houses that the common folk inhabited. I could tell by size and scope of the houses that if she lived here, her family had money and perhaps some power.

From a few blocks away she pointed out her house and I could see that it was as impressive as the rest of the houses in the area. The structure stood about three stories tall and again was gargantuan in size compared to the average man's house. Solid, strong, tall and intricately decorated her house was and any man would be proud to call it home. It was nestled in between two other massive houses and apparently faced both the front and back streets.

As we opened the door to walk inside, the warmth and light flooded the dark street where we stood. It took until a moment after we were inside with the door closed that my eyes adjusted to the bright interior. We stood in a small reception area and a hallway could be seen going straight off into the depths of the house. Lanterns hung along the hallway every few feet or so as to keep the walkway brightly lit. Rooms went off this way and that from the hall that ran to the back of the house.

The small entry hall or reception area where we stood looked grand but not excessively so. The room was tall and clearly was tall enough to encompass the first and second floor. Two staircases on either side of the room ran up and ended at a small second floor balcony. A door could be seen on either side of the balcony next to the top of the stairs. An elaborate ring of lanterns hung by a chain over the whole reception room, basking the area in light. Just then, one of the upstairs doors could be seen opening up and someone emerged from behind it.

"Hello dear, you're home finally." A tall, older woman whom I guessed was in her early forties said as she walked down the stairs towards us.

She was quite pretty and had maintained her girlish figure though her curves were a bit softer and rounder then they could have been. Her breasts had drooped a little, her face wore a few wrinkles that time gives to everyone, and a few gray streaks snuck their way into her proud red flowing mane. At a glance one might notice these attributes and dismiss her as a woman who was past her prime and strictly speaking, it may be so. However, I could see that in her youth she must have been stunningly beautiful and she still retained a great deal of that beauty. I suppose my view of her was a bit skewed because she looked like the older version of Jealile. I was relieved to know that Jealile would remain as beautiful as she was long into the future.

"Hello Mother, I'm sorry if I worried you. We all got to talking and you know how it is, time gets away from you." Jealile said as she rushed to hug and kiss her Mother hello.

"I wasn't worried, I knew you were out on the town with Yeoline and Brian. I trust you enjoyed your day together?" Jealile's mother asked while she still embraced her daughter as they walked slowly down towards me.

"It was absolutely wonderful! Brian got Kincaid as we had hoped and we had the most wonderful time exploring the city and shopping before meeting the gals for dinner and a few pints." Jealile said with a bright smile as the pair arrived in front of me. "Mother, I'd like to introduce you to Brian, Brian this is my Mother, Merandia." Jealile introduced us with a bright smile and I stuck my hand out to shake hers.

"That's not good enough, you're almost family son." Merandia said as she tossed her arms around me and hugged me tight in an excited embrace. "Jealile hardly talks about anything else these days, I feel as though I already know you." She said as she held my head in her hands just before she kissed me square on the lips with a friendly peck on the lips.

"Then you have me at a disadvantage Merandia." I replied with a smile, now a little more at ease because of Merandia's warm and friendly nature but not quite relaxed.

"Don't worry, I doubt I'll find the need to press the advantage . . . yet." She said with a playful smirk on her face.

"Mother!" Jealile warned with a disapproving smirk as her Mother loosened her embrace on me.

"I'm only playing with him, give me a chance to have some fun. Your Father has no sense of humor and keeps me on such a short leash these days." Merandia sighed with an attempt at a playful remark but I could see under the surface there dwelt some truth in her comment, and some pain too.

"If you're anything like your Daughter, I find it hard to believe that anyone keeps you on any sort of leash." I replied with a smirk of my own to which Merandia laughed.

"Now you're clearly trying to win the favor of an old woman!" Merandia laughed with a hearty laugh and smile that I could tell had not been on her face in some time. "Be careful of your charms dear Brian or I may snap you up for myself." She said with a playful smile and air about her as she gave me another peck on the lips and held me by the collar tight.

"Mother!" Jealile warned again with another uncomfortable look about her.

"Don't worry dear Daughter, your prize is safe from me." Merandia said with a warm smile as she loosened her embrace on me and kept one hand around my back and put her other hand around Jealile's waist. "I am only delighted to see you happy and that this man of yours does in fact exist." Merandia finished as she started to lead us down the hall, away from the reception area.

"Mother." Jealile groaned in a futile and weak hearted attempt at a scolding.

"Come my dears, Perriolich wishes to see both of you." Merandia chuckled as she squeezed her Daughter tighter, "Honestly, I don't remember raising such a prudish spoilsport." Merandia chuckled as she squeezed Jealile.

"You're antics aren't at all funny Mother!" Jealile said with a drawn expression.

"Yes they are." I chided in, in the light-hearted spirit of the moment and Merandia laughed with me.

"Don't you start, keep this up and you'll be walking to Kincaid alone funnyman!" Jealile snapped, now a little perturbed.

"It's all in good fun sweetheart." Merandia said while kissing her daughter on the cheek just as we approached an entryway that glowed with warm light up and on the left.

"Honestly Father, I don't understand why I need to be here." I heard a younger man in the room up ahead say as we neared the entryway.

"Veronoule you must learn that when you are as wealthy as us, all kinds of people will come at you in all kinds of ways. People will do just about anything to get some of your money, watch and learn how you deal with them Son." An older man also in the room up ahead said just before we passed through the entryway.

It was a good-sized sitting room but not overly large and had a comfortable feel to it. A fireplace was on one end with roaring fire in it, warming the room and casting its glow on everything. Fine chairs along with some small tables were scattered throughout the room, arranged in conversation areas. Some books were in a modest bookcase on one wall and fine paintings and decorative rugs adorned the walls. Seated in the grandest chair by the fireplace was an older, shrewd looking man. Slouching in a chair next to him was a man about my age who looked quite disinterested by everything.

The older man looked to be in his late forties and had dark brown hair with a touch of gray streaks that gave him a distinguished look. He did not look overly tall and was considerably plump, as one expects of a rich man. Otherwise his facial features were quite fine and well defined, appearing almost delicate, but his plump disposition could be seen in his face. His gaze constantly examined everything about you and told you that nothing you did would get past him unnoticed.

The younger man had blonde hair and blue eyes and appeared to be quite handsome, tall and slender. I guessed that he would be popular with the ladies with his natural good looks and all. However, he had an air of dissatisfaction and disdain for everything and everyone around him. It almost seemed that he hated his life and the direction it was heading in. I felt no pity for the 'poor little rich boy' and I surmised that few others would counter my opinion.

"Look who finally found her way home dear?" Merandia announced with a proud smile as soon as we entered the room.

"Good to see you dear. I trust you enjoyed your day on the town?" Perriolich said to Jealile with a smile, not even passing a glance at me.

"Yes Father, I had the most wonderful time with Brian and Yeoline." Jealile said as she leaned in and gave her Father a hug and quick kiss on the cheek.

"Oh Father, what do you get when you dress up a Beggar in fine clothes?" Veronoule asked Perriolich while not taking his disapproving eyes off of me.

"That's simple Son, a well dressed Beggar, nothing more." Perriolich replied calmly, with disdain in his eyes that never left mine. My blood boiled but I kept my cool for Jealile's sake and ignored the comment completely.

"Now dear, mind your manners Brian is a guest in our home and Jealile's betrothed." Merandia scolded her husband with a light-hearted cover to her obvious aggravation and objection to his attitude. She sat in another decorated chair on the other side of the fireplace from her husband.

"My dear wife, it was a hypothetical question and directed at no one in particular." Perriolich replied with a satisfied smirk. "Unless you know someone who fits the description, my dear I should think nothing of it." Perriolich said with a broad smile at me and took a sip of his wine.

"Of course dear husband, I know you would never be such a rude and insensitive host as to insult our guest." Merandia said as she directed Jealile to sit in a chair next to her and me to sit next to Jealile.

"Father, I would like to introduce you to Master Brian Westlock." Jealile said proudly while doing her best to keep her cool presence in tact. I already knew her well enough to know that she was not at all pleased with her Father at the moment.

"Master? Master of what, the Jailhouse Rats?" Veronoule laughed heartily at his own joke.

"Now, now dear boy, our esteemed Mr. Westlock here is an Estate Master." Perriolich lightly chuckled yet kept a scolding tone in his voice that was lightly veiled in a condescending manner.

"Really? What Estate, pray tell?" Veronoule inquired with his best attempt at holding in a smirk and chuckle but he was not good at it.

"Kincaid no less." Perriolich replied with as straight a face as he could muster with a mock impressed look and yet kept his condescending air.

"Kincaid!" Veronoule laughed out loud and then checked his laughter quick. "How long have you lived there?" He asked me curiously with a superior attitude and a smile to match.

"Just awarded it this morning." I replied feeling a little less proud than before but more aggravated and insulted by the way these two were carrying on.

"You're still breathing so I guessed that you have not even laid eyes on it. You're not a real Estate Master are you? You're only a 'Paper Master' of Kincaid, true?" Veronoule finished in an unveiled look of snobbish disgust.

"Veronoule!" Merandia snapped.

"Paper Master? What do you mean by that?" I asked plainly, having a good idea of what he meant but still wanting him to explain his comment before everyone.

"You don't really possess Kincaid do you Brian?" Perriolich asked plainly and respectfully as he leaned in.

"Well sir, the Estate Clerk says that it's mine and I have the paperwork to prove it!" I said as I indicated the parcel that the Estate Clerk had given me.

"But don't you see? Right now that's all you possess. That parcel of papers gives you claim to the title of Kincaid but someone at the Estate must recognize and accept your claim before it is anything of value." Perriolich sat back and let his words sink in for the moment and I knew he was right. I felt it in my bones all along but had refused to acknowledge it until now. What if those at Kincaid refused to yield to me, and to my claim to the Estate, what then, take the Estate by force?

"I see your point. But nonetheless I will go to Kincaid and claim what is mine!" I said with confidence. "If not for me then for those I love." I said as I gave an obvious glance to Jealile.

"Well go claim it then." Perriolich said dismissively as he pointed at the door. "Come back once you've claimed it and truly made your mark on it. Only then can you truly call yourself an Estate Master. Until that point you will remain nothing more than what you are, a 'Paper Master' with his hand out." He finished with a dismissive look down his nose at me.

"That may be true Father but everyone must start somewhere will you yield that at least?" Jealile said as respectfully as she could but still managed to let her dissatisfaction show in a manner similar to her Father's.

"Yes of course my dear, everyone must start somewhere I will give you that. However, why must that place be with me?" Perriolich returned with the same dismissive look unmoved by her comment.

"Sir, I love Jealile and will marry her at the next Harvest Festival, sooner if it were possible. But time is crucial and it is slipping away from me. The Estate from what I understand it is in some state of disrepair. The true nature of the repairs that are needed will not be known until we are there. Naturally the trip to the Estate and the estimated repairs all cost money." I said as respectfully as possible and paused to take a breath. Before I could continue I was cut off.

"So naturally you come to me with your parcel of papers and my Daughters heart full of dreams with your hand out." Perriolich said with a sarcastic tone as his eyes burned into me.

"Father, it was my idea to come to you! All my life you have taught me that something worth anything is worth earning. From the moment I was able, I joined the Guards and earned my own money. I have bought my own things with my own money and earned everything I have, asking you for nothing." Jealile said forcefully yet was able to keep her manner from straying to the disrespectful. "Now, when I fall in love with a man with a claim to an Estate and we ask your help to realize that claim you spit in my face." Jealile finished with a distasteful sneer of her own. "Yet at the same time you give my Sisters fistfuls of coins to buy dresses and other frivolous things. Where is the justice in this Father, tell me?" Jealile finished with a sneer.

"I know that you have chosen to work and earn your own way through life and I am proud of you immensely for that." Perriolich said with a warm and glowing, proud smile before his face chilled to a cool expression. "Think of this logically my dear Jealile." Perriolich said with a sigh. "You met this man in prison while guarding his cell. You even risked your life to stop his execution. Then when he has an Estate to claim and finds out that your Father has money, naturally he proposes!" Perriolich finished with a disappointed sigh trying to get Jealile to see me in the light that he saw me in.

"It's not like that!" I said as I took offence to his comment I almost stood up to leave or hit him but Jealile's hand on mine stayed my hasty move.

"I don't think ill of you dear boy. It's probably something that I might try were I in your shoes." Perriolich said in a sympathetic tone. "But this is my Daughter we are talking about and I will not have you make a fool of her or me!" Perriolich finished with a tone of warning.

"What can I do to prove my intentions to you sir?" I asked sincerely.

"Go now and claim Kincaid on your own and once you have settled in, you may select her at the next Harvest Festival with my blessing." Perriolich replied with a condescending tone.

"Father, I've never asked you for anything." Jealile said and paused for a moment. "I'm asking you to help us get to Kincaid." Jealile said with a firm tone and a tear bordering on leaving her eye.

"What guarantee do you have that he will marry you?" Perriolich asked curiously. "What's to stop him from using your money and skill to get to Kincaid, claim it and then toss you aside?" He finished poignantly and waited for a response from his Daughter.

"We love each other, Brian wouldn't do that to me. It's not in his nature, I know it." Jealile finished with a hurtful growl in her voice.

"Love has nothing to do with it dear girl, it's not personal, it's business." Perriolich said plainly, in a manner like he had already expected her to understand.

"Please Father, if you will not give Brian the money, then give it to me, I will pay you back I swear!" Jealile said with a waver in her voice that she tried hard to quell. A tear rolled down her cheek as she waited for his response.

"No dear, you will only give it to him and you will be left owing me the money and have nothing to show for it. It's for your own good that you see him for rogue that he is now, rather than later only after he has spent your money." Perriolich said firmly yet with a tender tone as to let Jealile see that he cared.

"Heartless bastard!" Jealile shouted as she was now in tears and got up and rushed out with Merandia right after her. I stood to go after them as well but Perriolich stopped me before I left the room.

"It's best to give them some space boy. It will also give us a chance to talk." Perriolich said as he released my arm. "Come, it's late and I'm sure you're tired, let me show you to your room." Perriolich said with a forced smile and we slowly walked down the hall to the main entryway. "I understand that you're doing what you feel you must but we're both grown men here. Can't we come to some agreement?" Perriolich said with a warm, inviting smile as we walked up the stairs to the second floor.

"What did you have in mind?" I asked curiously as we passed through one of the doors on the balcony and entered a closed courtyard that was open to the sky.

The courtyard had doors packed close together with small windows in between them in all four walls of the courtyard. It extended one more floor higher and a second floor and similar ring of doors and windows could be seen. A covered balcony and roof covered a walkway that ran in front of the doors on the edge of the courtyard. Stairs ran from the courtyard floor near where we were walking to the top floor balcony/walkway. Another set of stairs ran to the top floor exactly diagonally across from where this set of stairs ran.

"I will loan you five thousand here, tonight. That's more than enough to get you there and set you up handsomely. All I ask is that you pay me back when you can and leave Jealile alone! She does not understand the ways of men and business. She does not deserve the pain that you have in store for her. Is it not better that she hurt a little now than much more, later?" Perriolich said and paused to read my reaction. "This way is best for everyone, it's a business deal, nothing more. You get the money you need, I make a little extra coin, and my Daughters heart remains somewhat in tact." Perriolich said in a tone that urged me to 'do the right thing' and accept his offer.

tempter
tempter
48 Followers