Buster's Story Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Jaisen
Jaisen
691 Followers

"To Big Joe. You saved my ass in France and made sure most of us came home," said Brian. He took his sip and passed the glass.

Everyone there took their turn toasting the life of Big Joe. Sally refilled it as needed. The last one to take the glass was Big Joe's wife, Martha. She shuddered with the effort not to cry. "Joe, I love you. I loved running in the woods with you beneath the moon. I loved you even when we fought. I'll miss you you bastard," she said and drained the last of the beer and held onto the glass.

The men lowered the coffin into the grave. Once it was in the ground, Martha leaned in and put the glass on the coffin. Sally poured the last of the beer into the glass as best she could. The rest of the beer went into the grave as well. Then the family walked back to their houses. The children would be put to bed while the adults shifted and ran out their grief. Brian, Daniel and Alexander filled in the grave, taking care not to tip the glass. When it was filled in, they set a marker at the top to be replaced by a stone as soon as it could be carved. Then they walked down to join the others on the run.

As the shifters changed and began to run, a solitary wolf crept out of the forest and across to the new grave. The wolf was scruffy and thin. He walked as if each noise in the night was a threat. He sniffed and walked around the grave. The wolf with the lopped ear sat at the end of the turned earth, pointed his nose to the sky and howled.

*

"Alice Davy! You come here right now!" hollered Brian across the lawn. He growled and snarled, but Alice just kept running. She was faster on two legs than most shifters on four. Shifted, there was no catching her. The tan and gray form flitted into the trees followed by an all black wolf. Brian started to leave the porch to follow when Natalie's hand grabbed his shoulder.

"Brian, you can't keep her from shifting or being in heat. You sure ain't keeping her from runnin' off with that Jacques Moreau. He's a handsome one and she's thinkin' with her body not her brain. Plus, it didn't work with Jenny, why you think it work with her?" asked Natalie.

Brian looked at her with half shifted eyes and just growled. "Don trus thha Jaks," he growled.

Natalie just smiled and tugged his arm until he came into the house. Her papa had been the same way. She just kept walking until they reached the bedroom were she shut the door and dropped her bathrobe. At forty-one she still had a fine figure. She stretched out on the bed and waited for Brian to decide which way he was going.

Brian stretched and let the bones in his head shift back to more human positions. Then he undressed as best he could and lay down on the bed with Natalie. She was right, he couldn't stop Alice any more than he had Jenny. It just frustrated the wolf inside and he still hadn't learned to deal with it. Marie would be sixteen in two years, and he'd probably react the same way with her.

Natalie grabbed his cock with her hands and began to stroke him. Brian shuddered with the gentle touch and began to relax. She stroked him until he was rigid. Then she licked and sucked his cock while he began to touch her.

"Mmm," she crooned as she licked the tip of his cock. Brian's fingers played up and down her thigh and then across her clit. She was wet and as he slipped his fingers into her, she took him deep into her mouth. They played until Natalie ached for Brian to fill her. She moved around and straddled him, letting Brian's cock slide into her. She settled herself and then rocked back and forth.

Brian reached up and cradled her breasts in his hands as Natalie increased the pace of their lovemaking. He let her call the pace this time, and smiled as he watched her face. He loved her so much. Loved the way her face softened just before she came, or the flush under her skin right above her breasts. Most of all, he loved the way they felt making love.

The two wolves ran in the forest. Wolf chased his mate, the scent of sex leading him by the nose. She stopped suddenly and he looked to where her head pointed. Deer. Slowly, they circled the deer in the meadow and then leapt onto the back of one deer. He grabbed the neck and as he swung down over the top, the spine broke. She had grabbed the deer by the hindquarter, keeping it from kicking her mated.

They ate well and with full bellies began to wrestle and drag the carcass back to the village. The deer was a little worse for wear by the time they'd dragged it back, but Wolf didn't care. They left it on the porch and went running again.

*

Brian helped his brother-in-law Daniel reorganize the metal foundry after Big Joe's death. Alexander helped with the paperwork and dealt with the non-shifters that were owed money. It made life easier. The lumber mill was running at full speed most days as pulp mills and the building trades increased their demand. Brian noticed that more non-shifters were moving into their valley. Still Metis, which made life a little easier, but as people began to marry into families there were problems.

"How you tell someone you love that you shift?" Henry asked his Papa.

"You better be honest. They gonna laugh. They don' believe, you shift. Simple," said Brian. "Or, better yet, you stick ta family."

Henry didn't like that idea, but at eighteen, he wasn't too worried. He was in love with Maggie and their first born was due anytime. He was worried about Marie, who kept flirting with all the new loggers. He didn't tell his Papa, as he didn't need Brian ripping off heads. Papa was some protective about his girls. Here it was nearly eight months later and he still wouldn't talk to Jacque Moreau, Alice's mate. Alice was eight months pregnant as well. She and Maggie were making baby clothes.

"Best be honest. Worst, you leave. Move. Let everyone think you crazy, aye?" said Brian. He was trying to figure out how to house his family. The original cabin had run out of room. Two of the additions had collapsed during the winter. Jenny and Henri had taken in Marie, George and Quintus until they had been able to make repairs. As it was, Marie stayed with Jenny while George and Quintus returned home. Natalie had suggested that they move into Grandma Davy's old house that she used as a clinic, but Bryan couldn't let go of the cabin he grew up in.

"Guess you are right Papa. I think I go home check on Maggie," he said and gave his Papa a hug. Brian hugged him back and headed into the office. Alexander was in there finishing up paperwork.

"Brian, you know some man named Burke?" Alexander asked.

"Non," Brian said straight off.

"English, stuffy, said he know you long time gone," said Alexander.

Brian thought for a moment. "Oh! Burke the Captain in the Great War. What he want?" asked Brian.

Alexander handed him a letter. It was a request for specific lumber. Cuts to requirement. Brian read the letter and then sat down. He remembered this list.

"What's wrong?" asked Alexander.

"This order. This is for barracks. I recognize it. Did it twenty years past. Why for they want more barracks? What they know that they don' tell people?" Brian asked.

"I don know. May be we need listen to that radio for more than music," said Alexander. In truth, he knew what was going on in Europe and Asia. Japan invaded China and there was a massacre in some town called Nanjing. October had seen thousands of Chinese die. The Americans even lost a ship to Japanese bombers. Hilter was stirring things up in Europe as well. Jews were being attacked and their possessions taken. The Great Depression in the America had hit Canada as well, but those who lived off of the land had done okay. However, like so many of the shifters, Alexander felt people moving in too close for comfort.

"May be you are right. May be it is time to stock up again like in 1913," said Brian.

"Wasn't alive then, but I remember my parents saving up and making sure they had things they needed," said Alexander. "You placing his order?"

"Soon as I see money. Don do nothing without it. Not now. Too much family. Too many people to take care of," said Brian. "I think I go talk to Natalie. You, you listen that radio."

Alexander nodded.

*

Brian took a walk over to the clinic and talked with Natalie. He was surprised to find that many of the women, Natalie included had felt the same thing. She showed him the storage room with all the herbs. Twice as many as normal and there were other supplies as well.

"Natalie, why you no say anything?" he asked. He wasn't upset, just puzzled.

"We... we thought at first it was just nerves. Being silly, so I say nothin'. Then, that Jacque, he drive down to that Montana for a while, listen to things and he bring back some of this," Natalie said. She pointed to fabric and salt. "Then I talk with the women in the valley and we all feel this way. Didn't think about talking to you, you have so much to do as it is," she said.

Brian nodded and took her into his arms. "Bad times coming," he said.

She nodded.

Over the next year, the families stocked on on everything they could. Brian did the job for his captain and used the money to fix up the lumber mill and send some of the family south into Montana. No one checked the border, so no one knew who lived where. More people moved into the valley and running at night was getting harder. Hunting slacked off too.

There were happy times too. Alice and Maggie had their babies nearly a day apart. Brian loved rocking his new granddaughters on the front porch. He even started talking to Jacque.

*

It was a quiet September morning. Natalie had made a big breakfast for the family. Potatoes, eggs, ham and biscuits. Quintus walked up to Brian and Natalie at breakfast. He had an envelope in his hand.

"What's this Quintus?" Brian asked.

"Marie, she ask me give you this letter Papa," Quintus said softly. Even at 12, he was a small boy. Wiry and a shock of black hair that defied any comb. He handed over the letter and sat down to eat.

Brian looked at the envelope and opened it. There was a letter inside.

"Dear Maman and Papa,

I know you will shout and growl, but I love him. So, I leave early this morning when I know you are gone hunting. Don' be mad at Quintus. He don' know where we go. I write when we find work and a house. Love you ver much,

Marie.

Brian read the letter and tears streamed down his cheeks. He tilted back his head and howled. Natalie took the letter from him, read it and sat down as well. She would go talk to Jenny in a bit and see when Marie fell in love with this nameless man.

Brian went to work with a heavy heart. He felt like his world was crumbling. Business was good, but he knew that the lumber was heading east, to build army camps. His children were moving away and he had already begun to lose count of grandbabies. He felt tired. When he got to work, Alexander had the radio on and was listening so intently that he didn't hear Brian enter.

"Morning Alexander," said Brian.

Alexander didn't move.

"Alexander, what's wrong?" Brian asked.

"Canada has declared war on Germany. They are calling it World War II," he said in a hoarse voice. "Britain declared war on Germany on September 3rd, seven days ago."

Brian blinked and sat down. Alexander turned up the radio. "The Great War was meant to stop wars," he thought. "How, how can this be happening?" he asked out loud.

"Germany, that Hitler, he invade Poland and all over Europe, countries say they won' fight. Listen," Alexander said and turned up the radio.

"This morning, Prime Minister Mackenzie King vows to secure Canada's defense, and take "all necessary measures" to curb Germany's "lust for conquest." ,said a radio voice.

"They will call for men. We must bring everyone together and decide what to do," said Brian.

"Aye," said Alexander and headed out to ring the bells at the community hall.

Natalie looked up from the dishes when she heard the bells. They only rang when there was a death or a disaster. Unless there was a wedding. She knew there were no weddings today. Wiping her hands, she ran out of the cabin and looked down the valley as people began heading towards the hall.

"Quintus, you stay here. Jenny may come soon with the babies. You take care of them," she said.

"Yes Maman," said Quintus. He gathered quilts and set them on the chair and waited. It wasn't long before his sisters came with babies in their arms. For being so small, Quintus was very good with the babies.

*

The saloon was full of people listening to the radio. The broadcast from the CBC repeated the program. Canada was going to war again to help defend Britain.

"What we do Brian? Some of us too damn old," said one man.

"We have to make a choice. Some of us can't hide a shift. Others, like that Martin, he shift like water pours. Not so easy to hide this time eh?" said another.

"No, it isn't easy to hide," said Brian. "That's why we gotta think this one out. Those that think they can do this thing, they go. Others may have to disappear and some, some of us have to sweat and hope they don' have no trenches."

There were plenty of nods and fists banging on tables in agreement. Alexander stood up, and the room quieted down.

"We are family. We hunt together an work together. Some of us have non-shifters in our families. They do okay. Those that don', they go away and sound crazy. People don' believe in 'werewolves'. That is okay. Like in the Great War, you shift, you work with dogs and watch out for each other. You don' shift so good, you help keep calm and stay with family if you can, I join as chaplain," he said and sat down.

There were nods and murmurs around the room. Conversations started up again and when it got a little loud, Brian held up his hands.

"Okay! We go to war. Who fights?" he asked. Hands went up around the room. Brian nodded and motioned for those men to step over to the left side of the saloon. "An who gonna stay home, pretend they not here?"

Fewer hands went up, and many of them were older men. Brian remembered them from the trenches. Men who still cried out in the night or ran in the woods more than they slept in their beds.

"You men, you take care of the families?" Brian asked.

"Aye Buster!" called one of them. Buster had been Brian's nickname in the Great War, when he'd been caught as a dog. Some men still called him Buster.

"Good! Cause I'm going again. Someone got to watch over all you crazy wolves," Brian said.

That brought some cheers and laughter. Fighting was never easy. Even harder when you had to hide a dual nature. Brian then realized that Natalie was standing next to him. The look in her eyes said everything.

"I don' want you to go," she said.

"I don' know as I have a choice. Been listening and they are calling for men from eighteen to sixty. I go, probably never cross the ocean. Stay in Canada and teach men. That is probably what they will do with us old men," said Brian. It was what he hoped.

Brian and Natalie went up to their meadow for one last time together. Shedding their clothes and shifting, they ran through the forest.

Wolf loved the smell of his mate and the forest. Smelled right. Smelled good. His mate wagged her tail like she was in heat. Panting, he came up behind her and mounted her. Thrusting deep while his forelegs gripped her sides gave him the leverage he needed. His mate growled and crooned as he felt the knot form and he came. Felt so good. Panting, they curled up and slept.

Wolf woke. A noise. Looking around, he saw another wolf at the edge of the meadow. Wolf knew the other wolf. Thin, dark, missing part of an ear. He yipped at the wolf who nodded and ran off into the forest. Wolf curled around his mate and slept.

*

Natalie tried not to cry as Brian packed up his stuff to go off with the other men to the train station. This time it wasn't her brothers and Brian going, but her sons and son-in-laws as well. Henri, Henry, Jacque and her little brother Luc were all going with Brian and probably 40% of the men in the valley. She remembered how hard it was during the Great War and knew that there would be many babies in the summer to keep women occupied. After that though, nothing. Nothing but waiting and listening to the radio while they knitted socks and read letters cut up or blacked out.

Brian had told her he'd seen Bizzet on the edge of the meadow and to keep an eye out for him. Brian didn't think that Bizzet would be stupid, but he wasn't sure. Kent had decided to stay with the lumber mill and keep things going. Some of the men who couldn't cope would help as well.

"It is time," said Brian walking up to Natalie. They hugged, kissed and then Brian picked up his suitcase and headed out the door. Natalie watched him join up with the others and climb into the lumber truck that would take them to the train station. She stood on the porch and let the tears stream down her face.

"It will be okay Maman," said the soft voice of Quintus beside her.

"I hope so," said Natalie. She hugged her youngest child to her and rocked in place.

Jaisen
Jaisen
691 Followers
12