Cast Adrift - Book 03

Story Info
1815: A few storms later, Caroline finally arrives in port.
12.5k words
4.84
36.9k
29

Part 4 of the 4 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 04/21/2008
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
MarshAlien
MarshAlien
2,702 Followers

CHAPTER NINE

"Yes?"

Caroline paused, thankful that the knock on the door had not caused her to smear the fair copy she was making of the letter in front of her. The paper that the Duke's valet had given her was far too expensive to permit her to use any more than she needed.

The door swung open and the smiling face of James Stanhope appeared. Caroline rose to her feet.

"James! When did you return?"

"No more than ten minutes since," James answered. He stepped forward to give Caroline a light kiss on the cheek. "I understand that I missed my brother in London. Shopping, of all things."

Caroline blushed.

"I think it wonderful news," James continued. "And I have two other pieces of news of my own. First, Father commands me to inform you that supper will be ready precisely at five o'clock."

"Your father actually intends to prepare our supper," Caroline said with a disbelieving shake of her head.

"I assure you he does. It was a tradition when we were youngsters. All the servants were given the night off on New Year's Eve. Father would roast a lamb. It appears he has forgotten a great deal, though. He meekly accepts instruction from your Lucy as if the woman had a whip."

"Oh," Caroline exclaimed. "I should allow Lucy the evening off as well."

"Lucy, my dear, is not a servant in this house. She is a guest. Father made that quite clear to both of us when Lucy asked just now if I should like some water. I was told in no uncertain terms that I knew where the pitcher was, and that if it was empty I also knew where the well was."

Caroline laughed.

"So, we will sup in three-quarters of an hour. My other news is even better. England is at peace."

"At peace?"

"Our representatives concluded a treaty with the Americans in Ghent on Christmas Eve. The news reached His Majesty's government as I was preparing to depart to assist in the final negotiations. With the Congress in Vienna on extended pause, I am delighted to find myself completely out of work for the moment."

"Peace," Caroline echoed. "Oh, James. How wonderful."

"Indeed. At peace with America. Napoleon in exile on Elba. No more fighting."

"If only William and Matthew were here."

"I imagine they would not be in quite as celebratory a mood."

"Why ever not?"

"The Royal Navy will have need for far fewer post-captains and coxswains. William will have his half-pay, to be sure, but in any event it is not the money that they will miss."

"It is the sailing," Caroline said.

"It is the life," James said. "They are not used to living as we do. Oh, don't worry, my love. I know my brother. He will bemoan his fate for a time but it will not take him long to find a new interest. And he will not let Matthew suffer."

"I should hope not. Matthew and Lucy are to be married next month."

"Are they?" James clapped his hands. "That is even more good news. We have much to celebrate tonight then. Shall I bring you down to supper?"

"That would be most kind, James. I do so hope that he and William will be here before the night is out. Really, they should have been here by now. But before you go, may I read you something?"

"Certainly," he said. He took the seat that Caroline indicated.

"Obviously, I shall have to change this letter now to note the peace between our country and your sister's . . ."

"Courtney!"

"Yes, your sister and I are engaged in a very strange correspondence. I last wrote her in July when I was promised to Sir Edward. I very meekly expressed regret that she would be my sister no more. Yes, please laugh all you like, James."

"Your pardon, madam."

"She evidently received my letter in October," Caroline continued, "and wrote immediately to wish me well and assure me that we would be forever sisters. Do stop laughing, James."

"It is simply too much."

"Yes. May I continue, dear brother?"

James was still laughing, but indicated that she should go on.

"I received her letter last week and started a response of my own. ‘Dearest sister: My topsy-turvy world has rotated once again. First, however, I must give you good news. Your father's mental faculties have been restored for the past two months and he charges me specifically with sending you his dear, dear love.'"

"She will be astonished," James said.

"I'm quite sure," Caroline agreed. "Then I tell her briefly of the trial and of your father's astonishing appearance. And of your brother's heroic appearance."

"And of Matthew's comic appearance, I trust. That was the best part."

"I doubt I can do it justice," Caroline said.

James waved his hand.

"I will write a letter of my own. Pray remind her who I am so that my letter does not come as a complete surprise. Oh, and pray do not look at me as if I were an ogre. I was teasing. I have written twice this year, even though as an employee of his Majesty's Foreign Office I could be hanged for corresponding with an enemy."

"James!"

"Oh, it's quite true. Go on, though. Before the constables arrive to arrest me."

"Very well." Caroline turned to the letter. "But you take altogether far too much advantage of my ignorance, James. In any event: ‘Since the trial, we – myself, Michael, my servant, Lucy, William, and his coxswain, Matthew – have been ensconced in your childhood home at your father's express invitation.'"

"Demand, more likely," James interjected.

Caroline gave him a look that wiped the smile off of his face.

"‘He delights in playing with Michael and is filled with regret that he chased you – and most especially your children – across the sea. He took more delight in Michael's Christmas presents than Michael did, who, after all, is not yet even two years of age.' Oh, I wish you had been here then, James. It was truly delightful."

"Father has always enjoyed Christmas," James said quietly.

"Now here is the important part. You must tell me if I have the tone quite right. And, of course, I will have to add the news about the peace, which clearly is now the most important."

"Oh, clearly."

James had a smirk on his face. Caroline frowned at him and continued.

"‘The best news, however, is that I may once again call you sister without any hesitation. William has indicated his intention to propose marriage, and has left for London with his coxswain to get your grandmother's ring resized in order to formalize our promises. I cannot tell you the joy with which this fills me.'"

"William as well," James said. "Marrying into wealth."

"Your brother will be the Earl," Caroline responded sharply.

"And a very, very happy Earl," James said as he stood to kiss his sister-in-law once again. "Father told me your news when I came. ‘Peace be damned,' he said when I told him my news. "Your brother is to be married.'

"As for the tone, I believe you have captured it perfectly. It lacks only the halting, stammering speech in which I'm sure my brother delivered his – not his proposal, mind you, but his intention to propose."

"It was quite charming," Caroline insisted, blushing all the while. "And he wants to have the ring when he proposes. I told him it was unnecessary, and that I felt guilty that it is not in the possession of your sister. But he informed me that its gift is a prerogative of the eldest son and that you had very kindly passed it to him."

"And the delay also gives him several more days to rehearse his actual proposal. No, my dear, I could not be more delighted for you. And for my brother. What a glorious year this has turned out to be for the Stanhopes. Now, if you will excuse me, I must get ready for supper. I will return in fifteen minutes time."

"Fifteen minutes?" Caroline uttered a commonplace shriek. "I cannot possibly get ready in fifteen minutes."

James quietly pulled the door shut behind him as Caroline scurried about the room.

**********

The Earl of Prescott's formal dining room contained a long table exquisitely wrought of native walnut. It also contained a much smaller mahogany table where five settings of the Earl's splendid silver service had been laid out. At the head of the table was a recently built highchair, and it was there that Caroline deposited her excited son. James pulled out the chair to Michael's left for Caroline and claimed the chair next to her for herself.

"Are we ready?" the Earl growled from the servant's hallway a few moments later.

"Yes, sir," James said.

The Earl entered with a vision on his arm. The gown was absolutely gorgeous, a confection of green velvet and brown silk. Caroline blinked three times before she spoke.

"Lucy?"

Lucy flushed a deep scarlet.

"He made me wear it, Caroline," she said.

"You mean he forced you into his room and stuffed you into that dress?" James demanded.

"It was my late wife's," the Earl said. "James's mother's. I told Miss Lucy that I should very much like to see it worn for another New Year's Eve."

"It's lovely, sir," Caroline said.

"Thank goodness that Matthew isn't here to see me," Lucy said. "I would never hear the end of his teasing."

Pleased with the beginning of the dinner, the Earl left to begin bringing in the dishes.

"It is beautiful dress, Lucy," Caroline said. "Forty years old, I would guess."

"Just fancy," James added, "it might have been to Court."

"It has pockets," Lucy said doubtfully. "Only servants' dresses have pockets."

"Oh, Lucy," Caroline said with a laugh. "You have every right to wear such a lovely dress."

"That would be my mother," James said. "Never saw a ruffled dress that couldn't hide a pocket. Never saw a pocket that couldn't carry a spoon. Never saw a spoon she couldn't use to slap our hands when they got too close to the pudding."

"You obviously grew up in a state of great privation," Caroline said.

"Voilá!"

The Earl had finished bringing in his dishes and finished with a flourish by taking the cover off a beautiful roast lamb.

"My Lord, it looks delicious," Caroline exclaimed.

"Miss Burton provided most of the instruction," the Earl said with a bow to Lucy. "I merely carried out her orders. I did select the wine, however. A Chambertin from 1779."

"When Father received his peerage," James added.

"I have so few left," the Earl said quietly. "And so few left to share them with. Allow me to pour."

"No, no," Caroline said as he began to pour for a delighted Michael. "Milk will be fine. Lucy, is there any milk?"

"Nonsense," roared His Lordship. "There are no milksops in the Stanhope family."

"Just a sip, daughter," he added in an aside.

He had already won her over.

"The Stanhope family." Caroline spoke as if hypnotized.

"The Stanhope family!" The Earl raised his glass.

"The Stanhope family," the rest echoed.

"Including those not here," the Earl said.

"Amen," Caroline added.

It had been, Caroline reflected later as she tucked her young son into his crib, a glorious supper. The lamb was perfectly cooked, the pudding done to a fine turn. The wine was everything that the Earl's enthusiasm had promised. When she returned downstairs, she found Lord Prescott pouring glasses of port.

"Your Lordship," she said, raising her glass again when he had finished. "You may come to work for William and I whenever you say the word."

The company laughed heartily, a sign of the acceptance that Caroline and her party had felt upon their arrival. They were enjoying yet another laugh when Lucy excused herself to go upstairs.

"Be a dear and check on Michael," Caroline said. "His constant turning worries me."

"I shall turn him right back, Caroline," Lucy answered patiently.

"There is nothing so easy to turn as a sleeping babe," she told the men with a smile.

Lucy had no more cleared the staircase that led from that room to the second floor and turned down the hallway than the Earl heard the tinkle of glass from the nearby French doors.

"What is the meaning of this?" the Earl growled as three men entered the room. All three held pistols.

"Do ye not recognize us, yer Lordship?" the one in the middle asked.

"Certainly not."

"It's him," Caroline whispered. "From the trial."

"Wright?" the Earl asked. "You miserable sot, Wright. How dare you invade my home?"

"I warned ye, did I not, yer Grace, that I would be back to collect the wages for meself and me associates."

"You will leave at once, Wright."

The Earl advanced on the ringleader as if he meant to physically throw him from the house. One of the others lifted his pistol and slammed it into the old man's temple.

"Father!" James cried as he watched his father crumple to the ground.

"Stand back!" Wright ordered before rounding on his assistant. "Chase, you stupid git! How's ‘e going to tell us where the money is?"

"He can tell us," Chase said, waving his pistol at James.

James lifted his lip in a sneer.

"I assure you, gentlemen, I have not been in the house for years. You have assaulted the only man with access to the money and you will hang for it in the New Year."

Wright sneered back.

"Well, perhaps her Ladyship will share from her riches what's owed to us."

"She will do no such thing," James said quickly to forestall Caroline's agreement. "If you intend to steal from us, go ahead and do so."

"You said we weren't stealing," the other man said. "Stealin's a hangin' crime."

"Shut up!" Wright screamed. "We're collecting. Now give us the money."

He pointed his pistol first at Caroline and then at James. Neither one spoke.

"Shall I cut her?" Chase asked. He put his pistol on a side table and pulled out a long knife.

Wright looked once again from Caroline to James.

"No," he said slowly. "Cut him. Trent, hold the gentleman's hands behind his back."

Trent put his pistol on the table as well and grabbed hold of James.

"You'd best tell us, yer Lady," Wright said to Caroline, "or your financy here won't be fatherin' any children for ye."

Trent had little trouble wrestling James' hands behind him. James was nearly as tall as William, but a life of desk work had taken its toll. Chase shoved Caroline into Wright's grip as he advanced on James with his knife and reached for his trousers.

"Stop!"

All three intruders turned to the source of the sound.

CHAPTER TEN

Lucy Burton stood haughtily at the top of the stairs.

"What is the meaning of this? Unhand my maid."

"I thought you said this was ‘er Ladyship?" Trent demanded of Wright as Lucy slowly descended.

Wright looked from one woman to the other. The two women were remarkably similar.

"It don't matter," he said finally. "They can both watch him cut. Just gives us one more to squeal."

"Oh!"

The men turned again to watch Lucy slip down the last three steps and land on her rear end in an inglorious heap the floor.

"Lucy!" Caroline wrenched herself free of Wright's grasp and went to Lucy's help as the three intruders roared with laughter.

"What are you doing?" Caroline whispered as she reached for Lucy's arm.

Lucy grabbed Caroline's wrist and jammed it into her pocket. Caroline felt her fingers wrap around a wooden grip. She looked up to see her friend's eyes drop toward her other pocket, letting Caroline know that Lucy had another pistol there.

"This is better than a show," Wright said, waving his pistol about. "Now for some blood. Boys."

"Let him go," Caroline said coldly.

Wright looked over to see two pistols pointed at him.

"Or you two ladies will both try to shoot me?" he asked with a sneer. "We're in trouble, boys. No telling where those bullets might go."

Chase and Trent joined him in laughter.

Wright smiled for a moment as he decided which to shoot. It was clear that he wasn't going to get the money this way. Perhaps he should just shoot the only man left; hat would still leave two women for entertainment. Perhaps, in the agonies that would follow, one of them would break.

His pistol moved no more than a fraction of an inch before the women's two pistols rang out. Wright died immediately, a bullet through his left eye.

"Oh, no," Lucy said, pulling a third pistol from her pocket and aiming it in the general direction of the other two men. "It don't matter to me which one of you dies. Whichever goes for his pistol first.

The two men were paralyzed as Lucy addressed James.

"Perhaps you would pick them up, er, sir."

"My pleasure, love." James squirmed from Trent's unresisting grip and moved around Chase to pick up the pistols. "I wonder whether Mr. Cooper realizes quite what a treasure he is getting."

*********

Mr. Cooper and his captain entered the drawing room twenty minutes before the beginning of the New Year. They found Caroline and Lucy sitting on the couch listening to James read from one of the various periodicals that Lord Prescott took.

"Is Father quite alright?" he asked.

"Darling, you quite frightened us," Caroline said. "Do you not know better than to sneak up on women like that?"

"I beg your pardon, my dear," William said as he absently kissed Caroline on the cheek. "I saw father as we passed through the kitchen on the way in from the stables. He has quite a lump on his forehead. He claims to have fallen."

He looked around. James's attention was riveted on his magazine. Lucy was looking adoringly at Matthew. Caroline was looking at her feet.

"Did anyone see him fall?" William asked.

He looked from James to Caroline to Lucy. Lucy was the one who finally cracked.

"Caroline killed him."

"I most certainly did not," Caroline said.

"You most certainly did so. She did, sir."

"You were the one who killed him," Caroline insisted.

"Killed who?" William roared.

"Whom," James corrected him.

"I say no more," Lucy said.

"I will kill someone myself if this goes on much longer," William said.

James sighed and put down his magazine.

"Oh, very well. Three gentlemen broke in and demanded money from Father. He resisted, of course, and they struck him. He is fine, by the way. He reports no headache whatsoever. In any event, Miss Lucy, who was upstairs, managed to come down with three pistols in the pockets of her dress. I never asked how you knew where they were, dear?"

"Which I saw Matthew a-cleaning them one day," Lucy said with a blush.

"Of course," James said. "Anway, the leader of the group, a Mr. White –"

"Wright," Caroline corrected him.

"Mr. Wright, then. He is dead. As to who killed him, I would point out only that Caroline's bullet left a very neat hole in the Gainsborough over on the east wall."

Caroline stuck out her tongue at Lucy.

"The remaining gentlemen have been given quarters downstairs," James said. "We will call the sheriff on the morrow. Now, don't you have something to ask Caroline before the day is over? Before the year is through?"

Under four pairs of eyes, Captain Sir William Stanhope decided that his curiosity would not serve him any further this evening. He fell to one knee and pulled a small box from the pocket of his waistcoat.

"Caroline, would you do me the honour of accepting this ring as a token of the love that I shall bear you throughout our married lives together?"

"Oh, William," Caroline answered. "Of course I will, darling."

They beamed at each other as William placed the ring on Caroline's finger.

"Bravo, William. That was exceptionally well put. Rehearsed it all the way up, did you not?"

"Very well put indeed," Lucy said with a significant look. "A girl should be quite fortunate to hear such a proposal from her suitor."

"Matthew?" William asked. "Did you not ask Miss Lucy for her hand?"

"Which I already did," Matthew protested.

"Which all you did was point out that marriage was a joyful state," Lucy said.

"And which you agreed," Matthew responded. "Sufficient to announce our engagement, at any wise. Which Mrs. Woodward gave me some cake in celebration. Because you told her of it."

MarshAlien
MarshAlien
2,702 Followers