Chance: A Day in May Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Without volition from him his hands gently pulled her to him. Wrapping his arms loosely about her he rested his chin atop her head. He held her, waiting while she cried. It seemed hours but finally he turned with her still in his arms and half led, half carried her to the sofa. There he sat, lifting her onto the sofa on her side, her upper body half-lying across his, her head on his shoulder.

Lovingly Duncan held her, his hand tracing slow comforting circles on her back. There they spent the night, Helen bundled against his chest, her arms folded between her and his chest. After awhile, when he knew she was asleep and was sure it wouldn't awaken her, Duncan carefully pulled her hair away from her tear sodden cheeks. After drying her tears with a tissue he relaxed back into the sofa. Throwing an afghan over them he made them comfortable for the night.

As she slept he memorized her face. Occasionally Duncan leaned forward to give her a kiss; on the forehead, on the tip of her nose, her cheek. The kisses were soft, gentle, carrying love but no promise of passion. He had no hope of passion again. She had been through so much and he had been in the center of it. She would not be able to separate Duncan from the rest of the catastrophe. All he could hope for was friendship.

If that was all that was possible, that was all he would give. He'd be satisfied with that, never asking for more. He wouldn't add to her problems.

Holding her there, watching, he saw tears again beginning to track their way down her cheek. Duncan responded by cuddling her closer, whispering his love to her. Helen shivered, stirring in her sleep. She relaxed to the sound of his voice, sinking back into deeper, less restless sleep.

Seeing her relax Duncan rested his head against the back of the sofa.

Soon he dozed. Occasionally he woke long enough to be certain she was fine, but there he stayed the long night through.

When he woke at last, sunlight was painting the room a wonderful gold and he knew she was awake.

12