Charmed to the Tenth Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Oh dear, I can see we're going to have to blend a great deal here." Eva pulled her charm out and rubbed it like a talisman. "We seem to be very different people."

"Of course we are. I'm a man and you're a woman. And that's a good thing Eva, trust me on this. Remember you're new to this relationship thing. I'm not a girlfriend here, we're not going to be crying together watching chick flicks. We're going to argue over who controls the remote for the TV, and what color scheme for the bedroom. I'm going to be messy, and you're going to complain about it. I'm going to slay the insects that enter our home and you're going to tell me what to wear when we go out."

"That makes sense in an odd way. But I do trust you, even if I don't understand you."

Jeff laughed again. "Naw, you'll have me figured out in no time. But I'll never understand you. That's the way it works, or so I've been told."

"Good to know one of us knows how to do a relationship. I've got to head back. I'll do my best to be walking out the doors in an hour, but I can't guarantee it. Please be here?"

"Shotguns, silver bullets, a machete and a chocolate bar, be on my way as soon as I have all that rounded up."

Eva clicked off and pressed voice mail on her cell. At 10:23 a.m. the first message was recorded.

"Eva? It's Gail Surgie. The pups are fine but, well my mother isn't. She absolutely insisted she see you today. Today she says you have to come today. I... don't know what to make of it, she isn't usually a demanding woman. Eva? This feels really important. I can't explain it but, well, please call as soon as you get this message?"

The second message was recorded at 10:58 a.m.

"Eva? It's Gail again. Listen I'm sorry to bother you but really, this is so important. My mother is becoming very agitated; she is crying and begging that I get you to come see her today. She says it must be today. Call me when you get his message?"

The third message came at 11:15 a.m.

"Hi Eva, this is Gail... AGAIN. I'm here with my mother and she would really like you to come and visit her here today. She says it's very important. Yes Momma, it's Eva's answering system, I told you she didn't pick up the phone, yes I'm sure it's Eva's number. Oh for goodness sake Mother, I told..."

The fourth message was recorded at 11:19 a.m.

"Hello? Is this Eva LeMere's answering machine?.... Yes? Well then I'll leave a message myself. My name is Anna LeCompt, you know my daughter Gailie? I must speak with you Eva, today. The charm Eva, it's about the charm. They're coming Eva. You must come see me now."

Eva slowly closed her cell phone and put it back in her purse. She stood perfectly still, slowly breathing in and out, in and out. Never had she felt such fear, because this time, it was all hers.

"Ms LeMere? Are you okay?" Jo stood in front of Eva waving her hand in front of her face.

Eva blinked. She had no recollection of Jo coming down the hallway, standing in front of her or speaking until just now. Eva had no idea how long she'd been vacant or what that momentary lapse was all about.

"Oh, yes, sorry Detective. I just zoned out thinking about this case and what it means. I sometimes do that. So are we ready?" Eva sensed she hadn't convinced Jo there was nothing wrong with her, but she had allayed most of Jo's concern.

At 2:00 p.m. Eva walked out of the interview room exhausted. She still had to brief the Detective on what they'd learned. "Detective, I really don't feel well. I'll give you another ten minutes then I must leave. There are few points you might be able to use for tomorrow."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jeff pulled out his cell and opened his new text message. "Plse can barely stand be out front at 2:20"

He had plenty of time to get out of the parking lot and drive into the giant U in front of the hospital. There he waited for a parking spot to open up in the patient loading and unloading zone. As he pulled into the space a mini-van was exiting, Jeff saw Eva stumble out the front. He raced around and grabbed her. He wrapped his arm around her waist and escorted her to his truck.

There was another man with aviator glasses and a little black wire that went from his ear to the temple piece in the glasses, who brushed by Eva, just as Jeff grabbed her. There were a lot of people around so the man kept on walking. He lifted his hand to scratch his head and mumbled a few words. The man began to walk very fast toward the parking lot.

Jeff pulled out and asked Eva where she lived.

"Have to rest; wake me when you cross the bay bridge." Then Eva closed her eyes.

Jeff pushed the pedal to the metal as soon as he got on Rt 301, a double lane divided highway. He slowed down near the Crownsville exit and sure enough a radar trap was set up. "Hah, still got it." He glanced in the rear view mirror and saw a black Ford Taurus a good distance behind him but gaining on him. He saw the lights go on from the state trooper's car. They pulled out just behind the Ford Taurus and tailgated until the Taurus put its right blinker on. "Oh man you are so busted."

They would be crossing the bay bridge in another five minutes. Eva was out cold. He stole glances at her as she slept. He thought it odd how he really had no idea who this woman was but felt as if he'd always known her.

He reached over and lightly stroked her cheek. It was nearly time to wake her. He wanted to give her enough time to be more alert so she could direct them to her home. She began to stir and within seconds was completely alert. She told him where to turn off and within another fifteen minutes they were pulling up in front of her house.

The Ford Taurus, having long passed the exit where Jeff and Eva turned off, continued eastbound on RT 50 for another twenty-five miles. It slowed, put on its left blinker and made an illegal U turn, back toward the bay bridge.