Chicago in the Autumn

Story Info
This firefighter has a warm side.
9.4k words
4.21
16.2k
7
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
ravenswood
ravenswood
109 Followers

As the sun was coming over Lake Michigan, I glanced over at this handsome man lying next to me in my bed. I had not slept a wink at all during the night. I had come to bed about 10:30 and had tossed & turned all night long. I wanted to sleep so badly but it looked like it wasn't going to happen; not tonight anyway.

Well I could hear him breathing in a deep rhythmic tone. You may be asking yourself, why is she talking like he is somebody new? Well, maybe that is because he is. Well, new to me anyway.

The gorgeous man that is sharing my bed is Chase McKenzie. We have been a couple for about a year now. I met him on the train home from the Loop here in Chicago, last fall.

It was a Friday afternoon and we were both on the way home from work after a long and strenuous week the usual 9 to 5 junk. I was just watching the scenery going by the window as Chase sat down next to me.

He said, "A penny for your thoughts pretty lady?" I jumped as I turned to look into his handsome face. Usually I do not just talk to a strange man on the train but there was something warm and comfortable in Chase's eyes. I don't know what possessed me to go against what I have always been told; don't talk to strangers. However, I did and it was the best thing that ever happened to me in my 23 years on this planet.

Let me tell you a little about myself. My name is Maggie Hallaren, I am 5'2" with auburn hair and green eyes typical Irish decent second generation. I work at the Chicago Tribune as secretary for one of the bigger reporters. Sounds interesting? No not really more or less boring but it's a paying job. I've been there for 3 years right out of college. I was not really looking for a man to complicate my life but Chase just walked into it and more or less took over.

That first night on the train, I was almost afraid to believe that I could fall in love so fast. He asked me to accompany him to dinner to the Wicker Park café that I had been to once before. I agreed only because I thought it would be fun to talk to somebody new and it was in public so no worries there. We took the train to the Wicker Park station and got off for a 2-block walk to the café.

It was a crisp fall evening and the leaves were just beginning to turn into there gold's, yellows and reds. We walked rather slowly the two blocks from the station just talking about nothing special.

Chase is a firefighter in Ladder Company 7 downtown. He lives out in Elgin and has been a firefighter for 7 years now. He went to Northwestern College out of high school and then did 2 years in the Army. As we walked and talked, I was catching glimpses of our reflections in the store windows as we passed. He is so tall or maybe it's me that is just height challenged I thought to myself.

As we approached the café, he took my arm and we entered the building. My first thought was, how quaint a gesture. The girl that was seating us asked if we'd like a booth or a table. Chase mentioned that a booth would be nice so she seated us to the back of the restaurant.

Chase asked if there was anything that I didn't like.

I just said, "No snails."

He laughed and looked at the waiter and repeated that. We both chuckled. This was a very interesting date, I must say. He ordered for me.

When I asked what he ordered he said, "I promise it's not snails."

He is a very versatile man this Chase McKenzie. He told me about his 2 years in the service and that he had spent 9 months overseas in Iraq. When he told me that I just could picture him in his camouflage uniform surrounded by mounds of sand; you see I have a THING for men in uniform. So he went from Marion Military Academy (uniforms), to the Army (uniforms) and now he is a fireman (more uniforms). Oh this is going to be promising I can see it now.

When our dinner arrived, I was completely taken by surprise to say the least. The waiter put a plate in front of me with an old-fashioned All-American hamburger and French fries on it.

I looked at Chase and he said with a smile, "I promised you no snails."

I just reached over the table and touched his arm as I said, "It looks delicious."

He ordered trout almandine and a salad. A very wide palate of taste this firefighter has, I thought to myself.

After our dinner, he asked me if I'd like a glass of wine or a cup of coffee. I choose the wine just because it sounded dangerous.

We talked some more about how Chicago had grown over the last few years. He mentioned that he had just bought a home out in Elgin and was in the beginning stages of a re-model. He said that he would like my opinions on colors and furniture and that I was welcome to come by anytime. My next thought was, "that sounds yummy."

He asked me about myself and I said that I had been born in Douglas, Michigan and that my parents had moved us to Wheaton when I was small and we still live there.

Chase asked me if I had any siblings and I said, "Yes, I have 2 sisters."

He said that he was born up in Traverse City, Michigan and has a sister who is an interior designer and two brothers that are carpenters up there.

I smiled at him and said that, "It must be good having that much talent in the family. Can never have too much of a good thing in one family."

He just said that he had been around carpentry all his life and it was just assumed that he would go on into business with his Dad and brothers but after he went to Iraq he decided that being a firefighter was more his style.

As the waiter brought us the bottle of wine, he asked me if I had a full-time man friend. I laughed a bit when he said that; he sounded so old fashioned.

I said, "No not really. Just kind of going from day to day, nothing permanent."

He poured the wine and I was just about to ask him the same question when he offered the information on his own.

"I haven't really taken the time to settle down in regards to finding a girl friend myself so tonight when I saw you on the train again I thought I could at least ask you out. All you could say would have been 'no thank you'. But I can say now Maggie, I am so glad you said yes" he said with a big smile.

I took my wine glass and put it to my lips as I looked into his beautiful dark brown eyes. It was a rather sweet tasting wine. I don't know anything about wine, myself; all I do know is what tastes good.

It was dark outside when we left the café. Fall in the Midwest it usually gets dark early. As we walked to the station, Chase asked me if I had plans for the weekend.

"No, nothing really why, do you have something you'd like to share with me there Mr. Fireman?" I said with a broad smile.

"Well," Chase began, "I'd like to see you tomorrow. Maybe we could go to the park, the lakefront, or maybe the Museum. Any idea of where you'd like to go?"

I smiled as we approached the train station. What are the odds that I could meet such a handsome man on the 'L' no less and have it pan out into something good and juicy?

We stepped onto the next train and he took my arm as we walked to the back of the car. There weren't very many people on the train, which was fine with me.

"I have an idea," I said as he was checking his watch. He glanced up and the twinkle in his eyes made my stomach turn to Jell-o.

"So you have decided that we should go where tomorrow?" he said softly.

"I'm thinking the lake front for a picnic. How does that sound?" I said as he was looking past me out of the train window.

"It sounds good to me so let's firm up the plans, where should we meet or would you like me to come to your house to pick you up?" Chase said with a smile on his handsome face.

I mentioned that I'd like him to meet my sisters so he could pick me up at the house. I gave him the address and we set a time of 11:00 a.m. so we could have a long lunch at the lakefront.

He asked me if I had any objection to him putting his arm around my shoulder tonight.

I smiled up into his face, as I said, "No, I'd like that."

Chase raised his arm and slipped it around my shoulder as the train picked up speed. My stop would be in about 20 minutes and then his stop was about 15 more minutes from there.

I hadn't had a male companion since I was in high school and I must admit it felt rather nice to have a man pay attention to me.

I got off the train as it pulled to the platform and turned to watch Chase wave to me from the seat were I had just been sitting next to him. I turned toward the escalator and before I knew it I was on the sidewalk.

I could have been mugged because I wasn't paying any attention to my surroundings at all as I walked home.

I climbed the front steps as I looked into my home. It was so warm and cozy looking. It seemed that every light was on in every room. Megan must be home I thought.

I opened the door and called out, "Hi guys I'm home." Maddy was sitting in the parlor as she looked up from her book, Megan came down the stairs and asked me just like a big sister, "and where have you been missy?'

I very proudly said, "I had a date tonight...with a fireman". The emphasis was on "fireman" as I smiled. I continued with, "...and tomorrow he is taking me on a picnic to the lake front". With that all out of my mouth, I turned and just about ran upstairs to my room.

Just as I was about to close my door Maddy knocked on it and asked if she could come in?

"Sure, sis, make yourself at home" I said. I took off my coat and hung it on the back of my door.

As I opened the drawer where I keep my jammies, I pulled out a pair of long flannel pants, one reason being my legs were cold. Maddy and I had always shared secrets, where-as Megan being the oldest, she was more the parental figure.

"So tell me about the HOT fireman, sis," she began. So I told her I had met him on the 'L' and that the reason I was late tonight was because he'd taken me to dinner over in Wicker Park. I told her that he works in the Loop and that he has a house out in Elgin that he is re-modeling. I continued with the carpenter stuff and that we were both born in Michigan.

Then I said, "He is coming by tomorrow about 11 and we are going to the lake front for a picnic. So you and Megan can meet my mystery man," as I laughed.

We talked some more about her job that she hated at the restaurant and I asked her what her thoughts were about meeting Chase.

She said, "Oh so his name is Chase" that's an interesting name there baby sister". We laughed as another knock came to my door.

Must be Megan I thought she's the only one that's not at this party. I leaned over and opened the door as she came storming in.

"How many times have I told you both to not talk to strange men on the 'L'?" she said as she plopped herself on my cedar chest.

I looked at Maddy and we both shrugged our shoulders and said, "I'm not sure maybe 10 or 15 times I'm guessing," I said. Maddy was just about ready to bust out laughing as I looked at her.

"Or was it 20 times now Maggie?" Maddy chuckled.

Megan got up to leave and said, "Just remember it was me that told you that men are dangerous," she said to both of us.

I smiled and turned to her as she was at the door and said, "No problem, sis, I will remember...as they put my lifeless body on the slab in the morgue," and then Maddy & I both laughed.

"Why does Megan have to be so bossy?" I thought. She's not the boss of me.

I left the door open just so she wouldn't think we were talking about her.

Maddy and I were talking about her latest adventure in dating with Levi. Well his real name was John but Levi suited him much better since he was always wearing them. Seems that she has a date tomorrow also with him.

They are going to Milwaukee to see his parents. "Nice long drive," I said "Plenty of time to be alone". Since Levi had a car, they could go places that the 'L' didn't go. In a way, I envied Maddy that privacy. However, maybe the public-ness of the train would just have to do for a while.

It was already 10:00 so I said that I was going to hit the sheets early since I wanted to get up and wash my hair before I went out tomorrow. Maddy said good night and as I went to close the door

I called out to Megan, "Good night big sister." I heard her mumble something so I just let it go at that. I climbed into bed and grabbed my book as my eyes began to lower.

About 3:00 a.m., the phone on my nightstand rang as I turned to answer it.

"Hello?" I asked rather sleepily.

"Maggie is that you?" it was Chase. What a surprise. My eyes popped open at the sound of his voice.

"Yeah it's me," I whispered.

"I need to talk to you, now. Do you think you could come down stairs? I'm outside," he said softly.

"Sure I'll be right down," I said as I hung up the phone. My first thought was, "what have I gotten myself into?"

I looked out the window at the side of the door to see him standing out on the sidewalk. I opened the door as I stepped back in to motion to him to come inside. He came up the front walk to the porch and stepped inside.

I didn't want to wake my sisters so I said that we should go out to the conservatory and close the doors.

He looked rough around the edges maybe he wasn't sleeping very well either.

I closed the doors and turned on a small lamp by the settee as he sat down next to me.

"Ah-h-h it's not 11:00, Chase," I said as I smiled at him through my hair all in my face.

He put his arm up on the back of the settee and lowered his eyes as he began to talk, "I know, Maggie. After I left you at the station I have been fighting with myself all evening,"

I looked at his face as I brushed the hair out of my eyes. I asked him, "Why were you fighting with yourself, Chase?"

He looked up into my eyes as he said, "Maggie this is a first for me, and I just want you to know that."

"Okay Chase I am on the same page here," I said with a smile.

He reached to my shoulder with his hand as he said, "I have come to the conclusion that I am in love with you."

"Ah-h-h Chase we just had our first date tonight how can love enter the picture? You don't really know me yet," I said quietly.

"I know Maggie," he began. "I've been telling myself that ever since I saw you standing on that platform."

"Is there anything else you have forgotten to tell me Chase?" I asked him as I sat back.

"Oh Maggie, you must totally feel like I'm some kind of a lunatic showing up at your house in the middle of the night professing my love for you," he said.

I shook my head no, as I look over at him.

His hair was so black he made the yellow of his jacket look like a wet rain slicker. His eyes were so dark brown they looked almost black. He had lips that any woman would liked to have pressed to hers. He needed a shave but that was fine with me, I love a man with a 5 o'clock shade.

I sat there with my heart on my sleeve. I always put it out there when I meet somebody new. I don't know why either.

"Chase, are you alright?" I asked him is a soft whisper.

"Physically yes, emotionally I'm not sure yet," he said with a smile.

I leaned over and put my head in my hands as I began to try and think.

"Chase, you don't know me yet, I could be a total witch and go psycho on you in a New York second," I said while I laughed.

Chase stood up and held out his hand to take mine. "Will you have this dance with me pretty lady?" he said.

I took his hand and stood up as I said, "Chase there is no music to dance to."

"I know," he said "but just let your mind drift as we dance, ok?" he whispered into my ear as he put his arm around my waist.

"Okay Chase," I said as I took a step over closer to him.

His jacket was wet as I felt my t-shirt get damp but you know something. I didn't care one bit. This man had the most intriguing demeanor of anyone I'd ever met. I don't know what happened that night but I think it was contagious because by the time 6:00 a.m. rolled around I had fallen and fallen hard for this hot firefighter.

When I heard the grandfather clock in the foyer chime 6 times, I knew that Megan would be awake soon. Even though we are all three grown up, I still felt like the baby of the family. What would she say if she knew I had a man in the house for 3 hours and we had danced to music that no one could hear but us?

I stepped back from my dance partner as I said, "It's breakfast time, aren't you hungry?"

As I took his hand to lead him to the kitchen he said, "As a matter of fact I am."

He stood leaning against the island as I made coffee and grabbed some eggs to scramble. I slide some bread in the toaster as I put the frying pan on the stove to make the eggs. Chase just stood there and watched me.

Even though Maddy was the one in the restaurant business, I was the one with the passion for cooking.

As I set the kitchen table for Chase and myself, I asked him what he'd like with his eggs, bacon, sausage, or grits.

"No eggs and toast and a cup of Joe sounds good to me," Chase said as he watched me from the table.

I poured the coffee and brought it over to the table first. It seemed that he needed that more than the eggs.

As I served him breakfast, I heard the boards on the front stairs squeak. I turned to tell Chase that one of my sisters would be joining us. Just as I finished saying that in the door came Megan.

"Good morning baby sister," she said without even seeing Chase to her right.

"Ah-h-h Meg we have company for breakfast," I said with a smile. "Megan Hallaren this is Chase McKenzie".

She turned to face him to say 'Good Morning' but had her arms across her chest.

He said, "Good morning big sister," as he smiled.

She turned her back to Chase as she took her coffee and adjourned to the conservatory. When I asked her later why she had turned her back to Chase, she said her nipples were pocking through her shirt. Wise idea I thought ,big sister.

Chase asked me if his being here had caused a problem I said no that she was always like that before her morning coffee.

As I sat down at the table, Chase smiled at me. What beautiful white teeth and such a sensitive smile for a man. He acted as if he hadn't eaten in a week. I asked him if he wanted seconds on the eggs but he declined. But, he said he'd have another cup of coffee if it wasn't too much trouble so I took his cup and poured him another.

As he stood up and walked over to where I was standing in the corner of the kitchen; he reach around my waist as he brushed my hair from my neck and planted a warm sweet kiss on my shoulder.

I almost dropped the coffee pot when I first felt his hand on my waist. I set the cup down along with the coffee pot and asked him, "What are you doing Chase?"

"Maggie, just being this close to you is driving me crazy," he said with a smile in his voice.

I turned to face him and then I saw the beautiful twinkle in his eyes as I came close to his face with mine. "What do you do when you are this close to such a handsome man," I thought to myself.

His lips where just inches from mine, as I lowered my eyes he pressed his face to mine as our lips touched.

My hands were on his waist as I felt him so close to me, I ran them up his body to encircle his neck as we stood kissing in the kitchen. His mouth opened and I could feel his tongue press against mine. What a fabulous sensation this was. As our lips parted, I kissed him back with everything I had inside of me.

Well the inevitable was about to happen as I heard a gasp from the butler's pantry I knew it must be Maddy. She caught us kissing in the kitchen.

I stepped back from Chase's lips as I said, "Maddy this is Chase McKenzie, Chase this is the middle sister Madeline,"

He turned toward her and said, "The top o'the morning to you lassie," as he bowed from the waist.

"Well, the elusive Chase McKenzie how do you do?" she said

I turned toward the counter and handed him his coffee cup as Megan returned to the kitchen for another cup herself.

ravenswood
ravenswood
109 Followers