Chocolate Kisses Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

As much as it was becoming repetitious, she started interviewing workers again, this time from the produce department. Many of the older men never finished high school and the younger ones either had some college or graduated into this new economy with no better future in immediate sight.

The three young women that Bill had been abusing had all been re-assigned to other parts of the supermarket.

It was mind-numbing repetitious work: put stock on the shelf, put more stock on the shelf, come back later and 'face' the shelves with more stock on the shelf bringing everything nice and even for the next morning. Repeat the next day and the day after that.

Each day, she had decided, as long as the weather permitted, to take a walk during her lunch break. A few days, already, it had rained even though the temperature stayed warm. It seemed like it never was cold in Southern California, just chilly once in a while. Until, of course, it did rain and everything flooded. The flatlands of Los Angeles just flooded and flooded and flooded.

Getting out of the now scrubbed and painted office and away from the seemingly endless paperwork from seven markets and two department stores became a necessity as the days came and went.

She laughed to herself. She still didn't know what he was paying her and she no longer cared. Just being with him was enough. She had it so bad for him it was funny. Even Eliza had stopped talking about it.

"It's plain as the nose on your face, Bethany Rose; you're in love with him and there's nothing you can do about it."

The only answer Bethany Rose gave her sister was a shy smile, her imagination filling the gaps in her life... an impossible life... unless she was willing to be his mistress. Was she? That was the question. Bethany Rose knew Eliza already thought she was sleeping with James and she decided to let her believe it. It was easier than trying to deny it.

Inside the house, she already was his de-facto wife. The nightly sex in her dreams aroused and frustrated her. In her heart, it was the last piece to the puzzle of her life. Oh, she was so...

Once, early on, Eliza had commented about fresh sheets each day for her bed but quickly shut up after the look Bethany gave her. The sheets continued to be changed without comment.

She went down the next block and saw it: the answer to her question was staring her in the face. Frankenstein!

But, it wasn't the movie monster that attracted her; it was what the theatre was doing to bring in customers. A lottery!

Each Tuesday, there was a lottery for something. That was how to do it, she thought, but... more like a spin-the-wheel thing. She rushed back to the store to think it through.

The store was already getting ready for Christmas. It wouldn't be surprising to find retailers starting after Thanksgiving... no, that couldn't be right. Who would do that?

James was looking for something to make it special.

With Christmas falling on a Friday, he hoped to close the store for at least Saturday, also, maybe even Sunday but that would never happen. There would be parties of one sort or another all weekend and that meant having the store open.

The perfect calendar, of course, would have had Christmas on a Monday with an entire weekend of buying. Of course, with the economy as it was, it probably wouldn't have made any difference.

By that afternoon, her plan had come together. Shoppers would get a spin for every dollar they spent and they were guaranteed to take something home from the expensive foods that no one could afford. Even if it didn't bring in more shoppers, it should make those that did shop willing to spend just a little more... she hoped.

When she explained her plan to him that evening...

"That's a wonderful idea! We need to get some advertising on this. Tomorrow, I want to show you the other stores."

Late afternoon, Christmas Eve, 1931

Parsonage, Venice Southern Baptist Church

Reverend Hunt stared at the blank piece of paper on his kitchen table as he had since breakfast. It was as empty as his mind seemed to be.

Trying to reconcile the inconsistencies between Matthew and Luke... it was almost as there were two separate Christmas stories being told. He knew there was great debate concerning them but to his people, what difference would it have made? What difference did it make to anyone?

The meaning is behind the message.

How like Mary and Joseph had the country become, dependant on the goodwill and generosity of strangers.

He was depressed.

Even in what had been good times, most of his flock had little hope of bettering their lives. Times were never good for colored people for very long. He sought solace in the Old Testament. It seemed every time God's people strayed, He would smite them back to his righteous ways. 'From the Great War to now,' he thought, 'this country surely has strayed from God's own path.'

"Micah?"

"Yes, Ruby?" 'I hope that she has some sweets. She's been baking all day and the smell has been driving me crazy.'

"Mr. Ewart's here, Micah... and, he's got a colored girl with him."

"Colored girl? Another abandoned child? How old is she?"

"There's nothing abandoned about this one and she ain't no child, either, Micah... no child, at all."

"What do you mean?" As much as he loved his wife, Ruby, sometimes she had a habit of making him drag it out of her. He got up from the table. "Ain't no..."

He stopped talking, looking out the window. "Oh, my..."

"Oh, my, is right. You can stop staring, now."

Ewart and two men were unloading the truck, carefully stacking cases of ham, fresh vegetables, bags of potatoes, flour and sugar out of the sun near the back of the little white church.

Micah hurried outside to help but Ewart refused. As the reverend turned back to the parsonage, he saw his wife to talking to Ewart's colored girl.

If she was his housemaid, no... too well dressed for that and why would he bring her along? If she was a friend, no... what white man had a colored woman as a friend, unless...

Micah was shamed. Why did he so quickly think she was his...

Listening to the women talk... her diction was better than his.

"Micah, this is Bethany Rose Carrolton. Bethany, this is my husband, Micah."

"Good afternoon, Bethany. Welcome to our little church."

"Reverend Hunt. Jimmy... Mr. Ewart says he's known your for a few years?"

Ruby looked intently at her. 'Jimmy... oh, God, there's only one reason a colored woman would be calling a white man...'

"Yes, we met at the trial."

She nodded her head. Christmas Eve was not the time to open that Pandora's Box. Everything always led back to the murders and the trial.

"You brought candy?"

"Wouldn't be Christmas without a little candy, Reverend."

James handed him an envelope.

"I've told you, you've done more than enough."

"Listen, Reverend, I don't know how long I can keep doing this, so take it while I still can."

"Thank you, then, my friend, thank you. We will surely pray for you. Would you like something to eat or drink? Ruby? Where'd she go?"

"Bethany Rose, what a nice name."

Bethany sat there with an expectant look on her face.

"I suppose you'd like to know how we met James?"

The ease with which she spoke... she must have known him for a long time.

"We met at the trial. He got a good lawyer for our two boys."

Bethany tensed. Oh, God. Bethany dropped her glass of lemonade and the sticky fluid covered the table.

"What time will people come by?"

"Pretty soon, now. You know how people are."

He understood the unsaid sentiment. 'Nobody's coming as long as we're here.'

"Being poor is nothing to be ashamed of. Whole damn country is poor.

"Well, then, I guess we better be going. Merry Christmas, Reverend."

"Uh..."

"What?"

"The girl..."

"What about the girl?"

"I, uh... never mind."

"She's a friend, Reverend, that's all. She's my bookkeeper and her sister is my housekeeper. There's three little children, too.

"And, no, I'm not sleeping with her. Anything else you want to know?"

"I'm sorry, it's just..."

"Strange? Look, I don't want to argue with you about who's living in my house with me and we might or might not be doing.

"You and I have been through too much together for that, all right?"

Silence.

"Reverend?"

"You're right, I'm sorry."

"It's... never mind."

They went inside the house to find his helpers sheepishly eating ham sandwiches and drinking lemonade.

James motioned them to stay seated. He saw Bethany leaning against the kitchen counter, her arms folded across her chest.

'Jesus, all that does is make her...' He shook his head to rattle the thought out of his head.

"Merry Christmas, Mrs. Hunt. You wouldn't happen to have one of those wonderful ham sandwiches for me, would you?"

"Why, of course, Mr. Ewart, please, sit down, take this chair."

The two men thanked the Hunts for the food and returned the store.

While it was Mrs. Hunt who offered the food, it was Bethany who made and brought it to him, none of which was lost on either Micah or Ruby.

'Bookkeeper, my...' Micah thought. 'Indeed.'

Ruby was smiling, further shocking her husband. 'Men,' she smirked, 'so foolish when it came to that. Something every girl over the age of please, please, please knew.'

With Bethany ready to leave after promising to visit again, James drove his car back to the market.

With the store closed tomorrow, it made no sense to keep the fresh holiday food and he planned to give it all away to the employees. At least, that's how it started but over the years had become a tradition and each year he ordered enough extra food to take care of everyone.

Each store manager was responsible for what went out the door and knew to keep detailed records. He knew there was going to be some pilferage but times were bad and people desperate. He was willing to over look it once a year. Sometimes he thought he didn't care if the stores stayed open or not.

As the last shopper left the store and the doors were locked, each employee was given a list of approved items they could take.

At the top of everyone's list was everything for fresh turkey dinner and the bakery had worked all morning to bake extra pies and cookies.

There were some that still thought he was giving away what he couldn't sell but most knew the truth. They had seen the extra food come in each year and watched the bakery girls pull pies and cookies out of the ovens all day long.

Almost the last thing before leaving was a box of Good Humor ice cream bars. James was the only one in Los Angeles that had a franchise for a store and he every opportunity he had to give away ice cream bars to children in the store.

Bringing Bethany Rose and her family into his home had brought him back to life. The love and memories for his family would always be in his heart but he found out that his heart seemed to have more room than he believed possible.

And so that Christmas, as each person left the store, Bethany Rose handed out their pay envelopes with an extra bonus of twenty-five dollars.

'Old' John was one of the last ones to leave. He had no family and didn't seem to have any friends, either. He had an unfriendly opinion about everyone and everything and some thought he was in the Klan.

And yet, when he took the envelope from Bethany, he was actually polite which amazed those waiting behind him.

James wasn't sure if he could continue the practice next year or not and wasn't even sure if he was still going to own the stores.

He was tired of the constant problems they brought even in good times and with the Depression now in its second year it was becoming even more upsetting.

If he did find a way to cash out and move... he was going to ask Bethany Rose to come with him.

She deserved at least that much from him.

Evening, Christmas Eve, 1931

That evening, Bethany Rose and Eliza listened to Amos and Andy while James worked in the library. Bethany Rose felt she was missing something and then knew it was him. She already loved him more than an employer, more than a friend... and she still didn't know how much he was paying her and she still didn't care.

Today, alone, he had given her family more than they ever had in their entire lives.

John was still watching the Lionel train, its colorful yellow and orange cars chasing the little steam locomotive around and around.

Mary Lizbeth was playing with her new doll, serving her tea and the new chocolate-chip cookies. Her face was smeared with melted chocolate and Eliza was so happy she didn't even care.

One-year-old Glory didn't get anything special. She was already fast asleep upstairs in the crib that also magically appeared.

And that bedroom stayed locked. Bethany Rose now knew what memories lay behind that door and was content to let them rest.

When the show was over, Eliza kissed her sister goodnight, got the children and went to bed.

Bethany Rose looked at the light under the library door. He was probably still reading, she thought.

After going to the kitchen and making some hot chocolate with the Hershey's syrup, she put some of the chocolate cookies on a plate and knocked on his door.

"Jimmy?" He shouldn't be alone on Christmas night. Knowing his history now, it would be cruel to leave him alone. He deserved more than that.

She heard a shuffle as his slippers almost dragged across the rug and then the door opened. His tired face immediately smiled and he opened the door wide.

"Bethany Rose." It sounded like a prayer, the way he said it, a mix of joy and... love? Was she reading too much into it, putting her own desires ahead of common sense?

She put the tray on his desk and turned. "James, I thought..." She never finished. He took her into his arms and kissed her. Not a 'lustful, you better have sex with me' kiss, but a gentle 'I think I love you' kiss.

His lips teased hers as he gently pressed against her, his arms holding her to him, caressing her back. As tall as she was, he was still taller and easily entrapped her in his affectionate embrace.

"Are you sure..." she asked, wondering the same thing of herself. Ever since he had treated her like a person instead of a thing, she became more and more his. Even if he looked like a toad, she would have liked him but she had left 'like' so far behind it wasn't even in her mind.

"James, James..." she didn't want him to stop and her kisses became more passionate as his hands moved lower on her dress, moving below her waist and cupping her to him, pressing his arousal against her. Things were rapidly moving out of control... she almost didn't care, almost welcomed what could come, eager to finally sleep with a man that cared for her. She felt herself become so wet it shocked her.

"James, we can't... you're white and I'm..." Oh, why am I stopping him? I've wanted this since almost the day I've met him.

"Shhhhh, Bethany Rose. I'm in love with you, don't you know?"

He held her tighter, almost painfully so. There was no doubt, his erection was rock hard and as her hand moved down to it, she was startled. My God, oh, my God... although the nurse in her knew that it would eventually fit and oh so nicely, the girl in her was hesitant... almost scared.

"But, Jimmy, it's against the law. There's nothing we can do. We can't..." Oh, Jesus, don't stop touching me.

They had moved slowly across the room and he sat down on the overstuffed chair in the corner, bringing her onto his lap, her arm around his shoulders.

They continued to kiss, his hands continued to explore, her lips opened and she searched for his tongue while he began to unbutton her dress.

And then, she stiffened and pushed him back.

"James, I'm not going to be your whore." Oh, Shit! Shit! Shit! Why did I say that? He doesn't deserve that? "Oh, Jesus, Jimmy, I didn't mean that."

He stopped, his breathing ragged.

"Bethany Rose, I've never thought of you that way... ever. You should know that." His hands moved just a little but seemed to have lost their enthusiasm.

He stopped, again. "Forgive me, Bethany, I just am so stupid, I..."

She stopped whatever he was going to say by kissing him back.

"Jimmy," she quietly whispered, kissing him again, starting to cry, "I love you but I don't want to ruin what we might have. What you want to do, what I want to do, nothing can ever come from it. You know that and I know that. That's just the way it is.

"And even if we do love each other enough to be lovers, once we cross that line you know there's no going back, ever. You'll be different, I'll be different... we'll be different, Jimmy. What if it destroys what we have here? What if I get pregnant? What if you want me to leave? Then, what?"

He sat there with her still on his lap, her arms around his neck, her full lips so close to his... he sat there, thinking about everything she said. His heart was still beating hard and she could feel his erection pushing against her butt, its pulsing rhythm joining hers as they both slowly descended from their mutual arousal.

She leaned her head against his, her teary eyes closed, her lips finally closing as her breathing slowed.

"Goodnight, Jimmy." She tried to get up but he wouldn't let her. No, no, no... don't get up, please, don't get up. He refused to let her go. No, no, no...

"You haven't had your hot chocolate and cookies. Please, don't try to run away from me, the house isn't that big and I know all the hiding spots. You're going to make Santa feel so bad he'll never get done tonight."

She laughed. It sounded like the wind chimes that hung outside. Bethany Rose slowly picked up a mug and brought it to his lips and carefully tipped it up.

"No marshmallows, huh?" No marshmallows...

"No, all chocolate." Just like me, Jimmy...

She took a sip from the same mug. Scandalous behavior throughout the country... but not in here, his country, her country, their own private country. No damn stupid laws, here.

"More chocolate?" she playfully asked but in the back of her mind, she wasn't sure what chocolate she had in mind. If her grandmother could see her, now, born a slave and here she was, kissing a white man while sitting on his lap. Grandmother would just say nothing's changed, child, nothing's changed.

"Jimmy, I better leave before I can't. Please, let me get up." 'Please, beg me to stay...'

He released his hold on her body but not on her heart. She looked back at him for just a moment as he watched her leave. She shut the door behind her and ran upstairs to her room.

12