Choices and Consequences Ch. 04

Story Info
To thine own self be true.
1.9k words
4.59
13.2k
2

Part 4 of the 5 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 08/05/2008
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

One Month Later

Aidan sat staring blankly at his computer screen. He had been searching for a new place to live for hours, and he was beginning to get a headache. His parents had no idea of his plans to move, or of his recent employment at the mechanic shop across town. He knew his mother would have a heart attack over that.

But Lili had inspired him to make changes in his life. To take on responibilities and to do something he loved for once. He was tired of the same old scenes; the stuffy parties, the fake smiles, the rude comments...all of it.

He wanted simple. He wanted to come home, change into a pair of shorts and watch the game without having to worry about the next dinner engagement, or keeping his high maintenance fiance entertained.

The last thought gave him a stab of guilt. Although she was definitely annoying, childish and high maintenance, he still felt like an asshole for getting carried away with Lili. He had never done anything like that in his life, but Lili...she set his soul on fire like no other woman had. Or ever would.

He wanted her more than ever. He needed her like he needed his next breath.

He loved her.

He rested his elbows on the desk in front of him and put his head in his hands, and he truly admitted that to himself for the first time. He thought he may have loved her before, but now he knew.

But how was he supposed to tell her when they both had so many changes going on in their lives? How was he supposed to tell her that he wanted to come home to her every night, and wake up next to her every morning? How could she not be frightened away when he told her just that?

His cell phone ringing broke his train of thought. He picked it up, looking at the caller ID.

Olivia.

He set it down, ignoring it and went back to his search. He came across a one bedroom for $900 and decided to call the number. It was now or never.

He picked up his cell to make the call, and it began ringing in his hand.

Olivia. Again. She had this annoying philosophy of blowing up his phone repetitively, thinking he would answer eventually.

If I didn't answer the first time, and I didn't call you back, what makes you think I'm going to answer this time?! he thought.

He hit ignore and dialed the number for the apartment on the computer screen. An older man picked up on the other end, just as his phone beeped in his ear, indicating a call waiting.

God, he hated that. Yes, now was definitely the time.

------------------

Lili sat at her desk at the museum next to one of the head curators, Maria. She was in her mid-40's, calm, quiet and had a great sense of humor. Along with developing an instant friendship, they had also attained a sort of mother-daughter relationship. Lili had taken a liking to her immediately. And today, someone like Maria was exactly what she needed.

Maria looked up from her notes at Lili, frowning. "What's the matter with you today? You're quiet and your mind is obviously somewhere else."

Lili sighed and recanted yet again the past few weeks and the encounter with Dave. "It's not so much the disowning me that's upsetting, it's the fact that they couldn't even say it to my face. They really must not love me...and they obviously have no respect for me."

Maria reached out and put her hand on Lili's. "I'm sorry, dear. Life has a way of cutting out bad relationships or excess baggage sometimes. Look on the bright side, all they would have done is just brought you down, belittled your dreams, and forced you to do what they wanted you to do. Now they're gone, and all the doors are open to you. And you have people like me and your best friends to help you along the way."

Lili smiled. "Thanks, Maria."

"Besides, I'll bet Dave was a terrible lover."

"Maria!"

"He was, wasn't he?! I knew it. You can always tell. Men that have no passion for life, never have passion for their women. Lame, moving on! Now about this Aidan fellow..."

Lili just laughed. "What about him?"

"What do you mean, 'what about him?!' He obviously cares about you! Take the initiative, talk to him, and tell him how you feel."

"I don't even know how I feel. And besides, we're both taking care of our issues."

"Excuses. You know how you feel, and why can't you be together and help each other deal with issues? There's no reason why you can't be together, and you know it."

"Except Olivia."

"Oh yes...I forgot about her. OK, well I'll hold her and you punch."

Lili burst out laughing as her boss came through the door.

"Ms. Donovan? Can I see you in my office please?"

She scrambled out of her chair. "Yes, sir."

He shut the door behind her as she sat down. He handed her a brochure on the way to his seat.

"I called you in here today to give you the opportunity of a lifetime. In that brochure you will find that the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York is giving students the chance for a two week internship with some of the best curators in the country. I've already given them your name with the highest regards and they should be contacting you to see if you're interested. If so, you may take one other person with you, all expenses paid."

Lili stared at the brochure, speechless. She felt like she was dreaming.

Her boss gave her a curious look. "Ms. Donovan? Is this something you would be interested in?"

She looked up in amazement and said the first thing that came to mind. "Is this...real?"

He laughed aloud. "It's quite real and - oooff!" His words were cut short as Lili had launched herself from her chair to hug him.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you! This is a dream come true, I don't know how to repay you!"

"Just impress them, that's enough for me," he laughed.

"Oh I will," she replied, practically running out the door to where Maria sat.

She showed Maria the brochure, barely containing the urge to dance. Maria smiled broadly.

"Congratulations, dear!"

"Will you come with me?"

Maria laughed, "Oh no, I can't go. I am a single mother after all. I think you should take Aidan."

Lili stopped moving. "Maria..."

"Don't 'Maria' me, and don't be ridiculous. You know you want to invite him, and you'd have a great time and amazing sex."

Lili grinned widely. "You know what, you're right. Why the hell not?"

"Of course I'm right. It's about time you learned this. Now go call him. Go!"

"Alright!" she laughed. As she left the museum, she felt elated. Happiness and excitement for the future gripped her mind and her heart like it never had before.

---------------------

Aidan woke up to the sound of his cell phone vibrating on the table in front of him. Thinking it was Olivia again, he almost chose to ignore it without looking at who it was.

He had gone to look at the apartment, and signed the lease on the spot. He knew that's where he wanted to be, and he had already begun packing his things. Then Olivia had called again, and he and he had picked it up and invited her over. Feeling rather bold and ready for change, he had dumped her upon her arrival.

He didn't expect her to take it well but he didn't quite expect her to scream, cry and throw anything she could find at him. She wasn't sad, she was furious and when she tried to hit him, he shoved her out of his house. She had just stood there, with a rather insane look on her face, breathing heavily.

Then she had said, "You'll be sorry, Aidan," and left in a hurry.

Now, as his phone was ringing again, he prepared to push ignore. He was done talking to her. But the caller ID said Lili, not Olivia.

He sat straight up on the couch he had been napping on, and quickly flipped his phone open.

"Hey, Lili," he said as casually as he could. In truth, his heart was beating a million miles a minute. He loved and hated that she did that to him so easily.

"Aidan! Hey, I have some news for you."

"Oh yeah? I actually have some news for you as well."

"Really? OK, you first then."

"Well...I found a new place to live. I move in next week."

"That's great! I'm so excited, I can't wait to see it."

"And..." he paused. "I broke up with Olivia."

There was silence on the other end for a moment.

"You did...? How did she take it?" Lili asked slowly. She was in shock. She was definitely not expecting to hear that.

"Not very well. In fact, I think she would literally kill me if she could."

"Uh oh...I'm sorry."

"What for? I'm not. I couldn't be happier. Now what's your news?"

A broad smile crossed his face as Lili invited him to go to New York with her.

"Hell yeah I'll go with you! What could be better than spending two weeks with you in New York?"

"Really? Awesome. Mind if I come over and hang out for a bit?"

"Not at all. There's somethin' else I want to tell you anyways."

Lili giggled. "OK, I'll see you in a bit."

She hung up the phone, resisting the urge to scream for joy like a 12 year old. This was it, she was going to go over there, tell him how she felt, and make a move. No reason to feel guilty anymore, and nothing to stop her.

-------------------

Aidan hung up the phone with a smile. He had it all planned out. He would meet her at the door, and just kiss her, tell her he loved her, and finally...finally, make love to her. The thought made his cock stir.

He began frantically cleaning up the house. Thank God his parents were out of town, she would be here any minute.

--------------------

Olivia sat in her car across the street from Aidan's house, watching his front door. He wouldn't answer her calls, so she had decided to wait for him to show his face.

She looked at what she held in her lap. There was no going back; she had told him he would be sorry.

She looked up to see a car pulling up to his house. She recognized that car...rage filled her as she saw who got out.

Without thinking, she exited her own car and walked towards her, murder in her eyes.

--------------------

Aidan heard the car pull up and got up to open the door. His heart began to beat wildly in his chest when he saw Lili getting out of her car. They made eye contact and she gave him a big smile as she started up his driveway.

He heard the two gunshots before he even saw anyone else. He watched as shock appeared on Lili's face, and two dark red stains bloomed on her chest. She fell to the ground, not moving.

"NOOOO!" He ran towards her, but laughter made him stop short.

"You know, I had every intention of using this on you. But when I saw your new little girlfriend pull up, I just couldn't resist. Plus, I figured this would hurt you so much more....I told you you'd be sorry, Aidan..."

Olivia laughed again, and began walking away, leaving a stunned and terrified Aidan fumbling for his cell phone to call 911, and a bleeding Lili lying on the sidewalk.