Coming of Age

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Amy nodded and Serenity turned to the selection and picked out her favourite.

Haley walked in with a tray of food, she placed it before Vlha, "Could you stand for a moment? I just need to get some measurements so I can get some clothes that will fit." Vlha stood and as soon as he was up right she started to whip a measuring tape around his body.

Once Haley was done she left, Vlha watched her leave slightly bemused. "Have Were changed so much that they have no fear of Vampires, and since when have Vampires been able to stand sun light." He asked.

"Take a seat and I'll explain," Amy said.

Vlha went to sit next to Destiny, "Don't forget your lunch," Serenity said as she pointed to the tray.

Vlha lifted the tray on which an empty glass waited as well as the food.

"Come on Ghan... either come in and sit or go away." Wolfgang said knowing that whatever danger Vlha might have caused was over. Ghan walked in with a nod of his head at Wolfgang and sat in a vacant chair.

"Where is Keira?" Amy asked knowing Ghan rarely let her out of his sight even at the manor.

"Playing with Maddie," Ghan answered.

Amy nodded and focused on Vlha, "Were have changed, however not when it comes to Vampires, the only reason they don't fear you is because we have vouched for you." She explained.

"You don't even know me," Vlha said shocked that a Were would vouch for Vampires.

Amy sighed, "I do, Judas and a bunch of new borns attacked you and bled you dry before placing you in a magic infused coffin made of marble, they then threw you into an abyss." No one reacted, they simply couldn't not with Serenity keeping their rage and anger in check. "You left Destiny in the care of the conclave although you had no intention of leaving her there, you went to find Crystal, furious with what Judas had done and not willing to leave her out in the world alone and angry, afraid actually of what she would do."

"How do you know that?" Vlha asked.

"I'm complicated, but for now you can call me Ancient." Amy answered.

"Judas is going to die," Arianna said firmly, she could feel her anger but because she wasn't letting it go any further than a gentle simmer Serenity was leaving her alone.

Susan walked in with a little bounce to her step, she walked over to Crystal and dropped her keys into her hand. "When I was riding your bike I found the brakes were sticking a little but I fixed it and filled it up. She's a beauty."

"Susan," Amy said with a mischievous grin. Susan turned just as Amy made a gesture sending Susan's body into Destiny's. Wolfgang chuckled as he knew what was going to happen next.

Susan turned to Destiny to apologise for Amy, a scent tickled her nose making her take a deep breath. She growled and pressed her nose to Destiny's skin. Destiny didn't know what was going on until Susan growled out one word. "Mine." Susan was suddenly on her feet and had flung Destiny onto her shoulder.

"Vampires don't mate," Vlha said as he watched Susan carry Destiny from the room. Wolfgang couldn't help it and just started to laugh at the shocked expression on Destiny's face.

Amy grinned, "who said Destiny was a Vampire, because she isn't."

"Well if she isn't a Vampire what is she then?" Vlha asked.

"That is the million dollar question." Amy replied.

"Is there a phone I could use, I need to make a heap of phone calls." Arianna asked.

Wolfgang got control of himself and gestured at the desk, "feel free to use my desk." He then turned his attention to Vlha and Crystal as Arianna walked over to the desk. "Ghan is claiming kinship to both of you and in a left handed kind of way to Destiny as well. Welcome to Wolf Haven Pack, you three are members for as long as you wish."

"Just like that?" Crystal asked stunned.

Wolfgang nodded, "yep... just like that... how do you think I got you to sit." He said as he stood and scooped up his daughter, "let's go for a run." He told her before he carried her from the room.

Amy stood and stretched, "Ghan can you show them their rooms. Arianna," Amy said just before Arianna picked up the phone, "feel free to attack the library during your stay and when you have made your calls please ask someone to show you where you will be sleeping."

"May I ask what kind of blood you have on offer?" Arianna asked.

"Any kind of blood you want... as long as it is animal." Amy replied.

"I can't go hunting now... and how is it I am not burnt to a cinder." Arianna asked.

"No UV can enter the house, and we have a blood synthesiser which will make any kind of animal blood for you." Amy explained.

"Black bear?" Arianna asked as it was one of her favourite kinds of animal blood.

"Yes even black bear, I'll have Haley bring some in for you." Amy said as she left the room leaving Ghan, Crystal, Vlha and Arianna to do whatever they pleased.

~*~*~*~

~present day~

Now Serenity understood everything about Crystal, Crystal's hesitation and difficulties with such a large group, the odd dynamics between her, Destiny and Vlha. She smiled when she heard Crystal's slight snore. She got up carefully, she hadn't meant to put Crystal to sleep but it would help her get over her emotional out pouring. Draping the black throw, that had been folded at the end of Crystal's bed, over her body; Serenity silently left the room. She wasn't even irritated that Crystal hadn't answered the question that had started the conversation.

Walking directly across the hall she went to her room, Thais was perched on her bed. "So what now?" She asked her brother.

"She's begun the process to heal," he shrugged, "however it will take time."

"Is there a mate out there for her, will having a mate help her heal?" She asked as she crawled onto her bed.

He grinned, "everyone has a mate Ren. They'll find each other when they are ready and Fate wants them to."

"You are such a pain... when?" She asked as she curled up, she could do with a nap.

"I can't tell you." He told her as he cuddled up to his sister.

"Why?" She asked and yawned, the afternoon sun felt great against her body.

"Because there are some things I just don't tell people, no point in pushing something forward, she will find her mate when she is ready to, not because you want her to." He tweaked her nose then wrapped his arms around her.

He watched his sister for a moment, glad that their funky bond didn't allow them to use each other's abilities. He had enough problems dealing with what he saw and keeping it a secret, he knew so many things, but he knew that most of the time he wasn't meant to change those events or he would rewrite the entire time line. Besides most of the time he wasn't given the option to change it, only to be aware of it and lessen the damage.

Hey why wasn't I invited? Temperance said as she appeared.

Get in the bed already. He told her and she did, she cuddled up to her sister and like any good cat promptly went to sleep. He chuckled and closed his eyes. It was not uncommon to find them napping together even at this age. They were at their most comfortable together, which was one of reasons they had all chosen this school even though Serenity had been accepted to Julliard, Temperance to Harvard and Thais to Oxford. They had chosen together to come here, the programs were good allowing them to follow their passions yet still be together. Besides they had forever to learn whatever they wanted, why rush it.

He wondered for a moment what would happen if Fate ever decided to separate them to do her bidding, how they would cope with the separation. He had coped, kind of, when he went to the other universe his ma was in to alter an event, but it had been really unsettling not having his sisters in his mind. Mind you he got to know his da's ma and Aunt Garnet and those memories were worth the discomfort. However he also knew it wasn't in their futures, Fate wasn't going to part them, not after his experience, but Fate had a funny effect on the future so he wouldn't be surprised if he didn't see it. He took a deep breath and relaxed, what will be will be and if that was their fate he knew it would make them stronger people.

****

Serenity bounced a little as she left her first class with Crystal. "Our next class isn't for a few hours." She said to Crystal, "want to work on our first assignment?" She asked.

"You are a freak... that assignment isn't due for four weeks." Crystal said, "but I want coffee so... may as well." They followed a group of people from their own class to a café. "Grab a table I'll get us drinks."

Serenity nodded and grabbed a table near the windows. Crystal joined her with a number stand. "Got us some nibbles so what do you think?"

"I should have gone to Julliard, this seems so simple." Serenity answered as she looked at the class outline for the semester.

"Honey you and your siblings went to the Julliard summer programme for six years before you had to start your Beta training, of course this is going seem simple to begin with, it will get harder." Crystal said.

"Yeah but Temp really wants to go into teaching history and Thais... he loves nature more than he loves music." Serenity explained.

"So why didn't you split up?" Crystal asked as their coffee and food arrived.

Serenity sighed, "we don't like to be apart, it's painful." She explained with a slight shudder, she could still remember those few minutes when Thais went to that other universe, it had been minutes for her but weeks for him and it had changed them all, they DIDN'T EVER want to go through that again.

Crystal frowned, "I don't understand." She said seeking an explanation as she stirred some sugar into her coffee.

"It's hard to put into words." Serenity said. "We are a litter... we are bound together."

"But litters can be split up, happens all the time." Crystal said, Han was a member of a litter and he was fine being away from his siblings, in fact he had almost volunteered for this to get away from them.

Serenity took a deep breath, just thinking about being separated from her siblings was enough to cause pain, she wondered how Thais had dealt with it when he went to that other universe. She felt Thais and Temperance in her mind, soothing it away, when their sister was calm they left her conscious thoughts. "You don't understand, the bond between us... its different than the bond between normal litters. I know even now everything that goes through their minds, everything I hear, see and do, they do and reverse. We can escape into each other's minds, we are three parts of one whole." She said struggling to explain the bond the siblings had.

Crystal watched for a moment but knew Serenity had struggled so didn't push for more, "what does your ma say?"

Serenity chuckled, "Nothing, she believes we were born this way for a reason, a reason we haven't figured out yet. Da doesn't really care, he is just happy we are growing up healthy, happy and with as normal a life he can provide. Grandma is a little concerned but she concedes that there has never been a litter of part Ancients before and this may just be a part of that. Most of the Ancients side with her assumption." She said before she popped some cake into her mouth.

"Most?" Crystal questioned before sipping her coffee.

"Yeah, Noah..." Serenity said as if that explained everything.

Crystal frowned, "I don't know Noah do I?"

Serenity shook her head, "Nope, he isn't welcome in the house." She answered.

"Why?" Crystal asked as to the best of her knowledge the Ancients were free to come and go whenever they pleased and the Manor had become a second home to them.

Serenity watched her for a moment then nodded, "That's right you wouldn't know... We keep it to ourselves."

"We... as in the plural We... as in all Ancients." Crystal questioned.

Serenity nodded, "Yeah... Noah is very rigid in his thoughts and beliefs." She explained stirring her coffee, "He tried to kill grandma when she was a new born."

Crystal's jaw dropped, "no way!"

Serenity nodded, "He believes we are freaks and that we shouldn't exist. Which is wrong because if Fate didn't want us to live or be ancient we wouldn't be here and we wouldn't have Her gift." She explained taking a sip of coffee. "He doesn't trust us..."

"I though Ancients were meant to be open to everything." Crystal stated.

Serenity nodded, "Yeah... we are... we are meant to be flexible and willing to change. Thais says Noah will ascend soon."

"Ascension? I didn't think that was possible for Ancients." Crystal said.

"It isn't... not normally but Fate can no longer use Noah, so she'll ascend him because he has nowhere else to go, which also means he'll have his soul scrubbed clean and he'll begin the reincarnation process again." Serenity explained.

Crystal sighed, "Let me guess, when it comes to Ancients I've barely scratched the surface."

Serenity nodded. "Now... the assignment."

Crystal snorted, "Freak."

Serenity smiled, "You know... this friendship should be fun."

Crystal chuckled agreeing with her, she had known Serenity since she was a child but had never really gotten to know her, children held little interest for her and her work for the pack often took her away. Which didn't bother her that much as it let her adjust to a large group of people, granted they were all Non-human, who didn't fear her and who wanted to be her friend.

"Excuse me..." both turned to the hesitant voice. Their eyes focused on a woman around Serenity's age, with light brown hair with natural golden highlights that fell in waves to her shoulders, her eyes were a pale blue and she had a sprinkling of freckles across her nose. She was lightly built and thin, she stood several inches shorter than Serenity, she wore a black jacket over a grey shirt with faded blue jeans. "Hi, I noticed you in the musical theory class, I'm Sky." She offered her hand and got firm shakes.

"Crystal and Serenity." Crystal said introducing them.

"Although most just call me Ren." Serenity added.

"Hi Jasmine," said the woman beside Sky. She had rich dark skin with dark wiry hair which was straightened. Her dark eyes were expressive, she wasn't thin but she wasn't fat either, voluptuous was the best way to describe her, she wore black dress pants with a light purple sweater over a collared shirt. Crystal and Serenity shook her hand.

"May we join you?" Sky asked hopefully as the waiter came with the rest of the food Crystal had ordered. Crystal and Serenity nodded without even glancing at each other. Sky and Jasmine grabbed chairs and tucked their bags under the table.

"Wow you ordered enough for four." Jasmine said as she sipped her coffee.

Serenity chuckled as she picked up half a club sandwich, "nah... this is just a snack."

Crystal chuckled as she checked her turkey sandwich had no pepper like she asked. "Were... complicated." She said in explanation pointing first to Serenity then to herself.

"Wrong... we are both complicated, easier to just say non humans," Serenity corrected.

"Whatever," Crystal said with a shrug.

Sky chuckled that did explain the 'snack.' "So what did you think of the class?" She asked as she stirred some sugar into her tea.

"Boring." Serenity said once she swallowed.

"Freak..." Crystal said before she bit into her sandwich.

"Takes one to know one," Serenity retorted childishly.

"How long have you..." Sky asked waving a hand between the pair, "been a couple?"

Serenity nearly choked on her mouth full of coffee and Crystal snorted. "Oh no... we aren't a couple... I've known Serenity since she was like... four."

"Five!" Serenity said indignantly after willing the hot brew out of her throat, "we've known each other since I was five..."

"So you're older?" Sky asked Crystal trying to figure these two out.

"Yep," Crystal asked but decided not to get specific and say several thousands of years older. "How long have you and Jasmine known each other?" she countered quickly to divert attention.

"Four days... we're dorm mates." Jasmine answered. "Which dorm do you live in?"

"We don't, we share a house with four others." Serenity answered.

"Man you have all the luck." Sky said with envy.

"Depends, one house mate plays her drums whenever she feels like it and the other does the same with his cello. You can't play those instruments silently." Crystal complained but there was nothing in it, all the rooms were sound proofed to Were standards.

"Are they majoring in music too?" Sky asked.

"Nope, two are doing a biology major the other two a history." Serenity answered then smiled, "hey, don't spread it around as technically we aren't allowed to throw parties in the house, but come over Friday for a 'house warming'." Serenity invited.

Sky and Jasmine nodded their acceptance and the four quickly swapped contact details.

****

Sky and Jasmine frowned at the front gate a few days later, it was Friday and they had come to have a small party. On the front of the gate was a plaque, beware of dogs, the dogs part of the plague was crossed out and underneath was written neatly tigers and wolves. The girls shrugged to each other and opened the gate. The house was magnificent and screamed money but that was to be expected, after all Serenity was the President's daughter.

Together they approached the front door. Jasmine went to knock but the door was suddenly open, Jasmine swooned as her eyes focused on Thais, who just smiled.

"Hi, I'm Thais you must be Crystal and Serenity's invites." He said pleasantly as he stepped aside to let them in. They walked in and glanced around, there weren't many people here but they were early. Jasmine offered their contribution to the dinner, a big bowl of coleslaw. Thais took it and smiled, "thanks."

He walked the food off and gestured for them to come further into the house.

They walked in and noticed Temperance and immediately mistook her for her twin. "Hey Ren." Sky said hoping to get Temperance's attention, Temperance ignored her. Just as Sky thought she may not be welcome, Serenity wrapped an arm around her.

"Hi guys..." Serenity said with a smile. "See you've mistaken my sister for me."

Temperance turned and rolled her eyes. "If we don't answer switch names." She advised. "Or wait until you can find our identity tag." The twins tapped their names, Serenity touching her choker while Temperance touched her necklace.

"Yeah... even ma can't tell us apart, only Thais can but we have a bond which means he can never mistake us." Serenity explained.

Thais shrugged as he put down some chips and dip. "Help yourselves; by the way the others in the room are Myth and Han."

Crystal walked in drinking a beer, she handed the other two bottles in her fingers to Myth and Han. "Thais when is the pizza arriving, I'm hungry."

"Four minutes..." he answered automatically, "I've got it." he said and went to the front door and opened it before the doorbell could ring.

"You get used to it, Ren... go get your Badget I want some music." Crystal said.

"Get used to what?" Sky asked as Serenity went to get the device in question.

"Me," Thais said as he walked his guests in. "These are my invites, Chase and Rachel." He said gesturing to the man and woman who walked in with bottles of cool drinks.

"I don't get it?" Sky said aside to Jasmine.

"Neither do I." Jasmine answered.

Myth chuckled, "the triplets, they are freaks, just accept everything they do and don't question it." She explained, "even the weird stuff like Thais hovering over a phone and picking it up as it rings or Serenity suddenly stopping and closing her eyes. Or Temperance suddenly going off to beat her drums, you just get used to their..." She hesitated as she didn't know what word best fitted.