Continuing On with My Life

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
DG Hear
DG Hear
5,711 Followers

When Kim looked at the bedrooms she noticed that two didn't have any furniture in them.

"Ed, what happened to your bedroom furnishings?

"After the death of Carol I asked the kids if they needed any of the bedroom furniture. I gave the beds to two of the kids and the dressers to the others. With all the grandkids I knew they could use it. I can always buy another bedroom suit. I was just happy I could help the kids out."

We looked out the back door and Rachel saw the pool.

"Ed, does the..." She was interrupted by Kim."

"Rachel, you should always say Mr. because he is an adult."

"I'm sorry, mommy. Mr. Ed, does the pool still work?"

I had to laugh. Apparently she didn't know Mr. Ed was a horse, of course. It was an old televisions show about a horse. I had no problem with sweet Rachel calling me Mr. Ed. She even had her mother smiling.

"If you and your mommy decide to live here, I'll open the pool as soon as possible."

"That was a low blow, Ed. Promising Rachel the use of the pool."

"I'll also pay for piano lessons for Rachel. I know one of the ladies of the church that gives lessons. She'll come here for the lessons and of course I have a piano for Rachel to learn on."

"Ed, it all sounds nice but there are other problems. We have no way of getting around. I have to get my furniture in storage or pay out more money. I just don't know, Ed."

"Please, Kim, hear me out. I've come up with a solution."

"Okay, Ed, I'm all ears."

"I'll take my truck and we will bring your furniture here. You can use your bedroom sets and you each can have your own room. We'll take the rest of your belongings and store it in the basement. If you do some light housekeeping and cook at least one meal a day, I'll give you a hundred dollars a week and free room and board. I know that's not a lot but it will help make ends meet. I'll also give you Carols car to use since I usually drive the truck. I'll take care of the upkeep but you have to buy your own gas. The vehicle's already insured, so you want have to pay for that."

"God, Ed, that's quite an offer. I don't know what to say. Why would you want to do this for us? I'm not sure I understand and it's bothering me a little."

"My kids want me to have someone clean for me. I didn't really like my choices till I saw you today. You are a great cook and I enjoyed the little bit of time we spent together. I guess I'm kind of lonely and miss having someone around. Rachel seems to be a sweet girl and I know she would be fun to have around. I promise to give you all the privacy you want. I guess that's about it."

"I would like a day to think about it, Ed, and talk it over with Rachel. Maybe we could go back to our apartment for tonight and let you know tomorrow."

"I want to stay, mom: a pool, a piano, my own room. Besides, I like Mr. Ed; he seems like a nice man," she was smiling at me.

"Listen, Kim, I know this is probably going too quickly for both of us. I don't want to take a chance on you not returning. The couch in the family room converts into a bed. You and Rachel can sleep in there tonight and make your decision tomorrow. If you decide to leave, I'll drive you to your mother's place myself."

"Okay, we'll take you up on the sleep over, but I'll make you breakfast tomorrow whether we stay or not."

I was so happy as I gave her a hug. Rachel was jumping up and down like a ten year old - of course that's what she was. We turned on the television and all watched it - well, maybe mostly Rachel watched it while Kim and I talked. I was growing more fond of her by the minute and I had just re-met her that day. I got them some sheets and covers for the sofa bed and bid them goodnight. I even said a prayer asking God for a little backup here.

I woke up to the telephone ringing. I didn't have a phone in my room but I heard Kim answer it. All I could hear was one side of the conversation.

"Jenkins residence. May I help you?"

"No, I'm sorry, that position has already been filled ... no, I know the lady wants it for sure. Yes, we'll keep you in mind; thanks for calling. Bye."

She's staying! I was smiling as I came out of the room. Kim was standing and smiling.

"Someone wanted to know about the position. I told her it was filled. What do you want for breakfast?" she smiled at me.

"Anything you make will be great. I don't even know what's in the fridge. As long as you're staying, cereal would even be good."

"Ed, there is one problem I have that you will have to handle before our agreement is final. You have to tell your daughter, Molly, that I'm living here. Just so you know, when we were teenagers I told her I thought her dad was a hunk and he could put his slippers under my bed anytime. It was just girl talk. Honest, we all used to talk silly like that but now Molly might think it's not so funny."

I laughed, "Thanks for the compliment and I will call Molly right after breakfast. So, you really said that?"

"Drop it, Ed. You're making me blush now. If you want some bacon and eggs you better take that silly smile off your face," she laughed.

"Since we're being honest here, Kim. I do think you are one beautiful woman and if I was younger I would ... never mind, I said too much already. Bacon and eggs sound great. I think I'll wake up Rachel." I left the room before she could reply.

After tickling Rachel till she woke up I went back in the kitchen. "Sure does smell great in here!"

"It's just bacon and eggs, Ed. You can stop the compliments, we're staying. By the way I found some hash browns also."

"The complements are all real, Kim, I meant all of them, and, yes, I like potatoes."

"Okay, Ed. Something else I need to tell you. My mom didn't know we were coming. I figured when she saw Rachel and me, she would let us in. You see, she got re-married recently and her new husband is just a few years older than me. I didn't think that would be a good move for Rachel and me but I was running out of options till we met you."

Later that day I called Molly and told her that I found a housekeeper and cook. She was really happy about it until I told her who it was. She had mixed emotions after I told her that Kim was going to be a live-in cook and housekeeper. I told her about Kim's husband getting killed and meeting them at the park. She felt better but I know she thought about the shoes under the bed thing, until I told her Kim mentioned it to me. She said she would be over later to see Kim whom she hadn't seen in at least ten years.

Molly showed up within two hours of her phone call. The minute she saw Kim it was like old times for them. I think seeing Kim put Molly's heart at ease. They started acting like two school girls.

Molly looked over at me and said, "Dad, you will be having a lot of company today. I called Gary, Mike and Lisa and they will all be here. I told them about Kim and of course they all wanted to come and meet her. Sorry, dad, I didn't think before I called all of them."

"It's okay, glad to have them all here. I think I'll put them all to work. I need help in getting Kim's stuff here. It's still in her apartment on the other side of town. So I guess it will be you they get mad at instead of me." I laughed.

Everyone showed up. It was like a family reunion. All my kids and their families, Kim, Rachel and, of course, me. I asked my sons if they would mind help me get Kim's belongings to the house. Between us we had three pickup trucks.

Gary looked at Molly and said, "You set us up, didn't you, big sister?"

"No, Gary, I really didn't. I first thought of dad with a young woman here and it bothered me so I called all of you guys on an impulse. I got here and saw Kim and Rachel and I knew everything was okay. Sorry, guys, but you should be helping dad anyway."

Kim spoke, "I've have an idea. I'm a cook so if all you guys go and get my stuff, I promise you a dinner you'll never forget."

"Is she really a good cook, dad? If I have to break my back I want the meal to be worth it," Gary said.

"It's worth it, Gary, believe me. I kind of hate to say this but she even cooks better than your mom and I always thought she was the best."

Ann, Gary's wife, spoke up. "Oh, no, I'm going to get compared again. Shit! Kim, will you teach me to cook. Gary says I'm the best in bed but the worst in the kitchen." Everyone laughed.

"Sure, Ann, anytime. In fact we'll have our fist lesson today. I could use a little help if this army wants to eat in a few hours."

Two of the women went with the guys to make sure all the stuff was packed neatly. The other two help Kim prepare a meal fit for a king.

We moved the bedroom sets into the bedrooms and took the extra stuff and put it all downstairs. We hooked up the extra fridge in the garage. Mike called it the new beer fridge. We also set the stove in the garage. No one wanted to carry it downstairs.

Dinner was ready about the same time the work was done. Everyone started eating. After every bite you heard, "Umm, umm, God, this food is great; even the bread sticks taste great. My gosh, Kim, you should do this for a living."

"Hold on, people, Kim's my cook. I just got her; don't take her away already."

"I'm not going anywhere, Ed. At least for now, I'm not even moved in yet" She smiled.

"Kim, your cooking really is an art form. I swear, I couldn't believe how quick you make a fabulous meal using the same stuff I have in our fridge. I have a feeling we will be visiting more often," said Lisa.

After everyone ate and got to know Kim, they were heading for home. My son Mike called me to the side asked me if our relationship was more than a housekeeper and cook.

"Well, son, if it wasn't for the age difference the answer would be yes. She is a beautiful and nice woman. I can't see where she would want a relationship with an old guy like me. You're my son and I wouldn't lie to you. I think she is one of the nicest women I've every met. I just wish I wasn't so damn old."

"Dad, for the record, I hope everything works out for you. I really love you, dad, and I'm behind you, no matter what you do." I saw a tear in my son's eye.

Everything went on great for the next few months. I opened up the pool and you would have thought Rachel was a fish; she spent so much time in the pool. Kim got in with her at least once a day. She wore a one piece bathing suit but I needed a towel in my lap when I saw her in it. Then she would always smile at me. A few times I had to get in the pool myself, just to hide my emotions, so to speak. Life was really good.

Someone in the family would show up just about every weekend. The kids played with Rachel and the woman helped cook with Kim. She just liked cooking for everyone. You could just see the love she put into it.

Kim and Molly became best friends and went everywhere together. Molly kept trying to fix Kim up with different guys. She actually went on a few dates but always came home early. It was kind of funny in a sense. I really cared for her and watched her leave for a date. I always watched Rachel for her. Rachel became like a daughter to me. We played in the pool. I listened during her piano lessons. Yes, I kept my promise and let her take lessons. She was actually doing quite well. We played board games together. I got her computer games but she said she wanted to spend time with me.

One evening she asked me a question. "Mr. Ed, can I call you, dad? You do everything for me that a dad does and I get tired of telling my friends you're Mr. Ed. Some of their parents even laugh when I tell them who you are. Something about a horse. So, can I call you dad?"

I had tears in my eyes. "Rachel, sure, you can call me dad. It would be an honor to have a daughter as sweet as you."

She came over and gave me a big hug and a kiss on the cheek. "Thanks, dad, I love you."

Wow! I didn't expect that but children don't usually hide their feelings. "I love you too, Rachel," I replied.

We were finishing a game of checkers when Kim came in. Boy, she looked nice. I gave her a nice smile and asked how her date went.

She said it was fine and then asked Rachel why she was still up.

"We were just finishing our game, mom."

"Well, honey, it's time for bed now and I need to talk with Ed. So say goodnight and I'll see you in the morning, okay?"

"Okay, mommy," she turned to me and said, "Goodnight, daddy, see you in the morning." She gave me a kiss and a hug; then turned to her mom and said, "Goodnight, mom. Sweet dreams," and headed off to bed.

"Daddy? Ed, she called you daddy."

"Yes, she asked me tonight if she could. She told me it made her feel better, so I told her it was alright with me unless you object."

"No, I don't mind but it was quite a shock. You are the main father figure in her life and I know she really likes you. She tells me all the time."

"What is this you want to tell me?"

"Ed, I have something I need to discuss with you."

"Sure, Kim, what is it. You seem a bit nervous?"

"You know how much I love cooking and it's what I've always wanted to do."

"Yeah, you're going to leave me, aren't you? You've gotten one of those good offers, didn't you. I knew it was going to happen some day. I just didn't know I'd feel so bad."

"Ed, hold on a minute. Give me a chance to talk with you and explain."

"It's okay, I understand."

"No, you don't understand. Please let me explain. I don't want to leave you."

"What is it then, Kim?"

"You are right; I did get a number of job offers but I turned them all down till I could talk to you. I have an idea but I don't have the finances. Would you like to go into business with me? I thought about it and thought about it. We could start our own catering business. You have to put up the finances, because I don't have enough money. We can hook up my stove and refrigerator in the garage and I will use them to prepare the food. We can split the profits fifty-fifty. The overhead would be low and I could stay here and still do the housekeeping for you. We would be partners."

"So you're saying I put up the start-up money for food and whatever. I would be responsible for the utilities. You would do all the cooking and catering and we would split the profits. Is that about right?

"Please say yes! I want to be a cook so bad but not at the cost of our friendship. Besides, Rachel would never want to leave here. She cares for you too much and I think she feels like you're her dad."

"So this is all about Rachel not wanting to leave. What do you feel?"

"Ed, these last few months have been great, for both Rachel and me. I don't want to lose you either."

"Okay then, it's settled. You can start your business anytime you like."

"Good, we have a birthday party set for Saturday and a baptism reception to do on Sunday."

"How did you know I'd say, yes?" I smiled.

"Let's just say I had my fingers crossed and was praying real hard. Thank you, Ed, you're the nicest man I has ever met. I want you to know that."

Her business took off great. She had parties and receptions just about every weekend. She would buy the groceries she needed during the week and start her cooking on Thursday. One thing was for certain. We ate great! What ever she made for her parties, she always made a little extra for us. I was one extremely lucky fellow. No one ate as good as I did.

After about three weeks of me helping her load her little car with food I decided to surprise her. I bought a new van for her. Well, actually it was a used van but new to us. I traded in Carol's little car. Boy, was Kim ever surprised.

On Thursday I asked her to drop me off at the car dealership. I didn't tell her but we needed to take the car for the trade in. So, Kim, Rachel and I got in the car and Kim asked what I needed from the dealership. I mumbled something until we got to the business. We got out and I told her to wait for me, and I would be right back. I went in and got the keys to the van. Rachel and Kim were looking at the vehicles in the lot when a garage person started taking off her license plates.

"Excuse me, sir, those are our plates," Kim said.

"I know, that's why I'm removing them and putting them on your van." replied the garage man.

"There must be a mistake. We didn't buy a van."

I walked out and looked at Kim. "Yes, we did. I can't have my partner delivering food in that teeny tiny car. This van should make it a lot easier for you. It may be in my name, but it's your van."

Kim started crying again. She came to me and hugged me.

"God, you're wonderful. You always say and do the right things. I really care for you, Ed. I want you to know that."

I loved her and was hoping she felt the same. Neither of us ever said it. We got in our van and headed home. She told me how much more convenient it was using the van. She usually took Rachel with her to help carry the trays in. Rachel was one smart little girl. Whenever they needed more help, she had Molly or some of their friends help out.

Kim usually turned down big weddings and the like. She preferred the smaller, easier to handle parties even though people begged her to do them. One of her clients convinced her to do a three hundred person wedding reception. She asked me if I would mind helping with it.

It actually felt good helping. We had to use both stoves because of so much food. I swear that woman knew her shit. She cooked for all those people like most people cook a Thanksgiving dinner. I also helped her load up and serve. She dressed especially for this big wedding. She, Molly and a couple of their friends all dressed alike. I wore a vest and tie that matched the outfits. Everyone complemented Kim on the food and she received a number of future parties.

The only thing that bothered me was that a number of men hit on Kim. She handled it well. I asked Molly if that happened often and she told me, "If there were men at a party, then Kim would get hit on." She said, "My God, dad, she would be a great catch. She's pretty, smart and a hell of a good cook. What more could a man want?"

I couldn't tell Molly how much that really hurt me. I felt that way about Kim too; only she was twenty years younger than me. Damn, it was hell being older.

Molly did tell me that for some reason Kim rarely accepted any dates, even from the single good looking guys. I know she had a right to her own life but as I mentioned earlier, I was in love with her but because of our age difference and friendship I kept quiet. I started helping her a lot more after that wedding.

At one small wedding, one guy kept hitting on Kim. I stayed out of it but I could tell she was a bit annoyed. After the party was over I went to the lot to get the van. Kim was waiting by the door when the man who was hitting on her came out to talk to her. I heard her tell him to leave her alone and to please just leave. I could tell he was a bit drunk. He grabbed hold of her arm when I jumped out of the van and grabbed hold of him and pushed him up against the building.

"Ed, no, don't! Please stop," cried Kim."

Right then a police cruiser pulled up and two officers quickly got out of their vehicle.

"What's going on here?" asked one officer as the other just listened.

The drunk spoke, "I was out here with this young lady when this old man grabbed me and pushed me up against the wall."

The officer asked Kim, "Is that true, were you with this man and the elderly fellow interfered?"

I gave a mean look at the officer and Kim looked at him totally confused. "Um, oh, um, officer, I was waiting for my boyfriend to come back with our van when this man began harassing me. My boyfriend jumped out of our van and grabbed the man. He was just protecting me."

"Your boyfriend? This old guy is your boyfriend?" The drunk asked.

The officer spoke, "Well, it doesn't look like any real harm was done here." He looked at the drunk and said, "I suggest that in the future you listen to the lady. No means no. Do I make myself clear?"

DG Hear
DG Hear
5,711 Followers