Costume Drama

Story Info
Weak-willed young man takes his sister's place.
12.1k words
4.58
141.3k
98

Part 1 of the 2 part series

Updated 10/21/2022
Created 03/07/2011
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Dave933
Dave933
908 Followers

This submission contains male submission and male-male sex. Don't read it if these things offend you!

*

I had presumed that all would be as I remembered it at Croftworth house; the ancestral home of my family. We were a respected family, albeit of modest means, and I had not been home in two years. I had been away at sea; a junior officer on a mission of exploration to the land of 'Brazil'. It had been far more enjoyable than I dared expect. The minor privations en voyage were quickly forgotten in that beautiful place. The captain had little need of me, assigning me to 'supervise' some of the scientists, who quickly put me to work. I had thereafter spent months categorising flowering plants; pressing them into books, and painting watercolours of living plants.

My uncle had presumed that joining the navy would 'Make a man' of me, but I had been very lucky in avoiding the potential hardships of the high seas. And officer training had been little different than my time at the boarding school in London.

Mother had often pointed out that in temperament, my twin sister Evelyn and I would have done well to change places; she was as outgoing and vibrant as I am introspective and quiet. I would be inside reading or painting when she was out riding, or persuading Old Leatherneck Johnson to teach her how to fence. Not that mother had ever found out aboutthat!

I was most happy remembering their foibles as I reached the stables. Mark, the stable boy took Gulliver (my horse) to brush him down whilst I walked back to the front door. Mother would be terribly cross if I came in the back way, after all.

After ringing the bell, I waited patiently for our ancient butler Saul to open the door. It was flung open abruptly, and my sister bounded out with enthusiasm.

"Oh Edward, welcome home! It is so good to see you!" she said, bringing me into a most un-ladylike embrace. She hugged me tightly; her strong arms quite squeezing the breath out of me. She was ever the stronger of us; my delicate wrists and shoulders would have made me a feeble farmer had I been of lower birth.

"Gosh, I thought you might have grown!" said Evelyn with mock disappointment. "I do believe that I could pick you up, Edward"

To my great embarrassment, she proceeded to do just this, seemingly effortlessly lifting me with her arms about my waist.

"Put me down, you great goose!" I cried.

Evelyn laughed, squeezing me even tighter for a moment before dropping me to the floor. "Come in, Edward dearest. Have some tea, and tell us tales of tall ships..."

We walked in together, and went to the parlor where their mother waited for them.

The next hour was a confusing one, as my mother and sister asked politely about my travels. I could tell that there was something they were not telling me, but I couldn't seem to get control of the conversation. I did wonder where old Saul was; our dinner was served by a solitary young girl that I didn't recognise.

It wasn't until that evening after dinner that mother finally explained what was on her mind.

"Alas, Edward," she began, taking hold of her goblet of Sancerre, "Our family faces dire financial times."

"Why, mother. I had thought Father had left us well in order?" I replied. Father had died four years previously of dropsy.

"All seemed well, Edward. But although we were careful not to send our money overseas, the recent China Sea collapse has ruined most of the institutions we had investments in. Holmshead farm has been struck by disease, and is little more than running at a break, and theDauntlesshas not returned; feared lost at sea."

His mother paused for a swallow of wine, giving me a moment to digest these facts.

"These are grim tidings indeed, mother. How low has our income fallen?" I asked with grave concern.

"When your father died, God rest him, our income peaked at near nine thousand a year. If we take a thousand this year, it will be a miracle."

"Good God! Mother, that is... We cannot continue on under a thousand a year! We are bound to run up debts..."

"Three thousand, so far. If not, we should have lost Holmshead a year ago after the damp summer."

I swallowed nervously. These were grim tidings indeed. And what could I do; a poorly experienced officer, an artist of no great talent, a minor landowner with no gift for husbandry? We had no rich relatives - we hadbeenthe rich relatives, not so long ago!

"We should sell our house at Croftworth here; and live simply at Holmshead" announced Evelyn. "We could expand the farm greatly with the funds, and make it more profitable. I should like to drop the society side of life, and live in the country anyway."

Mother stiffened. "Never! We have cut staffing here already - almost half the household staff, and more of the groundsmen. I have sold four horses - and a tract of land across the river. We shall get by - and more, if you stop your childish behaviour and recognise your obligations!"

I sat back as Mother and my sister argued pointedly at each other. I had learnt long ago not to step between these headstrong women! Soon, I learned what Mother's plans were to restore the family's fortunes. She was negotiating a match with a Mr. Thomas Graves of London, a businessman of great repute and greater pocket. Risen from poverty in Lancashire, a match to our own well-respected (albeit slightly impoverished) family would enhance his standing in society, and that of his children.

Unsurprisingly, Evelyn was resisting with every fibre of her being. She had been reading literature from the colonies, learning of a far freer society and had no desire to be wed to a man twelve years her senior, particularly not one who saw her mostly as a chattel. Indeed, on his sole visit to Croftworth, he had only spoken six words to her; otherwise negotiating entirely with our mother.

Both women clearly wanted my moral support, and I hurriedly excused myself, pleading a need for fresh air. This could not have been more untrue, as in truth I craved a cigarillo; a habit I had picked up in Brazil. I plucked out my silver cigar case with slender fingers, and lit one on a lantern at the door before walking into the moonlit garden.

I circled the garden, deep in thought. It was clear that the losses the family had endured threatened our very society. Mother's solution was very practical, and exactly what she would have expected to do herself in such a circumstance. Evelyn too, had a sensible plan that clearly horrified their mother. It was a difficult choice that I faced - the selfish side of me really wanted to continue our life of (relative) privilege, but the thought of my beloved sister having to take a man she clearly disliked into her bed...

I sighed deeply, taking a puff on my rapidly diminishing cigar. There was nothing for it, as there seemed no other way to restore the family's fortunes. Evelyn couldn't really expect the family to sell Croftworth, where we had lived for nearly a hundred years! She had a duty to the family, as I had when I joined the navy - it had filled me with horror at the time, but I had acquitted myself quite well.

"Edward?" came my sister's voice. I turned to see her a few feet away in the gloom.

"Evelyn. I am so sorry for the jumble our lives have become. I can see your apprehension about - "

"No apprehension, brother!" She interrupted. "I am quite resolute in this - I shall not marry Mr. Graves - or anyone else; whoring myself simply to provide for my mother's dotage!"

"But Evelyn, it is -"

"Oh!" Evelyn actually stamped her foot in anger. "I should have known better than to expect you to take my side. You always were Mummy's boy!"

Evelyn turned with a swirl and rustling of skirts, stamping off down the garden path in a proper fury. Yet, what could I do? We were bound to do our duty for mother, and for the family.

I sighed, and made my way inside. Mother had already taken herself off, and so I took a brandy and sat in the library, trying to think through our predicament. It seemed that only thedeus ex machinareturn of theDauntlesswould suffice to save Evelyn from the need to marry Mr. Graves; and that chance seemed most remote. I could think of nothing that I could do. Had I been a heroic soldier, a man of repute, I might have chanced society, hoping to marry a young heiress; but I was no such catch.

That night, I slept uneasily. The next day was long and stressful, dragging the hours out as my mother and sister continued their argument. It seemed that Mr. Graves was due to visit once more in three days time, and the matter would be finalised. I did my best to comfort my sister; but she would have none of it, almost as angry with me as she was with Mother.

Ah, but this was not the welcoming family bosom I had been expecting! But I knew not then how quickly things could change!

The next day, I rose late. Painting in the garden - a favourite activity of mine - I saw naught amiss until evening, when my sister did not attend supper with us.

"She is probably sulking in her room," sniffed Mother disdainfully.

I kept my peace for a moment, eating the cold cuts of pork and beef with quince jelly and pickled cabbage. Still, I felt that I had to speak.

"Mother, Evelyn is simply distressed. She will come to in time; she simply does not want to see it now. We all must put the family first, and Evelyn knows it as well as I."

Mother made a rude 'Harrumph' sound, and returned to her dinner. I knew not if I had truly mollified her, but at least she complained no more behind Evelyn's back. Neither of us, it seemed, truly understood how headstrong and passionate my sister could be; but we would come to find out the next day.

Wondering where Evelyn might be as it grew dark; I spoke later to Maryanne, the scullery maid.

"Why Sir, I have not seen her since this morning. She was away to her friend Charlotte's with a picnic."

"Oh. Well, thank-you, Maryanne." I dismissed her. Evelyn's friend Charlotte Bryant lived four miles away, and they had long been friends. She may stay there a night or two, I thought; glad she was happy somewhere and not simply sulking in her rooms.

When the next day came though, Mother was quite cross with Evelyn for leaving without announcement.

"Does the foolish girl not remember that Mr. Graves will be here tomorrow with his solicitor? You must ride over after breakfast, and bring her back!" she snapped.

"Of course, Mother." I said dutifully. I would be glad to get out of the house; she and Evelyn had made the atmosphere of Croftworth quite unbearable. I finished my devilled eggs on toast, and left quickly.

The morning ride really was most enjoyable. Gulliver was clearly enjoying being in the country; he had been rented out to a cloth merchant's wife whilst I was at sea; and I am sure she rarely went further than Hyde Park. His long legs kicked up clods of fertile soil as we cut across meadows and marshes, taking the direct route to Morningdew; the country house of the Bryants.

I took Gulliver to the stables there, and presented myself properly at the front door. In due time, I was brought through to meet with Charlotte, in the stern company of her governess. There, I received a most unwelcome shock - Evelyn was not there!

"But what do you mean? She rode over here yesterday morning!" I demanded.

"Indeed she did, Edward" replied Charlotte coolly. "But after picking up some bags she had me keep for her, she left soon after. She left a letter for you, sealed. I shall fetch it for you directly."

My blood ran cold as Charlotte left the room. What could this mean - Evelyn gone a day and more; takings bags and leaving letters...? My stomach knotted as I waited.

On Charlotte's return, it was as bad as I feared. The letter read as follows:

My dearest Edward. As you have no doubt realised, I have taken my leave unannounced. Think not ill of me in this, I beg of you! I cannot bear to hobble myself to a man unloved, simply for the sake of a house and lands that I care nothing for.

I go to seek my fortune in the North, in the cities of Liverpool or Manchester. I should rather scrub tables in a low-cut blouse or wait on gentlemen in a club than molder in a mausoleum with no other task than spreading my legs to provide an heir for a man who loves me not.

I have some small coin saved, and am sure that I can make my way in the world. I have my clothes, my horse, and a sturdy sword to protect me. Wish me well, Edward. I shall write in time, God willing. Evelyn.

Gone! My sister has run away!

I can remember little of excusing myself, and the slow ride back to Croftworth. I was most fearful of Mother's reaction, but knew I could not delay a moment once I was back.

Steeling myself, I kicked Gulliver into a gallop half a mile from home; so that my return not seem unhurried. I sought out Mother in the front room, where she sat with her brother, he reading whilst she did needlework. As soon as she saw my face, she could tell something was wrong.

"Mother! Evelyn has left us!" I cried, thrusting the letter at her.

She was very still as she read, and then passed the letter to my uncle. She sat, her face as unyielding as porcelain.

"My God!" cried uncle Silas. "Evelyn! Gone! Mallory, this is terrible news!"

"Of course it is, you fool. Edward, what do you know of this?"

"Nothing, Mother! I missed Evelyn yesterday, but was told she had gone to visit Charlotte, as I told you earlier at breakfast. But according to Charlotte, she left Morningdew House before ten of the clock yesterday. Charlotte said that Evelyn had come early, emptied the chest she kept with Charlotte and bid her goodbye." I explained.

"The engagement!" cried Silas. "It cannot be! We are ruined!"

"That is surely of no concern!" I retorted. "My sister is gone, unescorted into the North where she could fall prey to... Scoundrels, and footpads, and, and worse!"

Mother raised her head defiantly. "It shall not be! Brother, you shall travel North in pursuit of Evelyn. Edward and I shall convince Mr. Graves that Evelyn is... indisposed, and buy time for you to return with her!"

My mother would brook no disagreement, and in less than an hour, my rotund uncle Silas was riding north with my own horse, Gulliver, and a pocket full of coins. We had kept everything from the servants, knowing that gossip could destroy everything. Silas came and went often, and little would be thought of it.

Once he was gone, mother ordered me to wash and shave, that I be presentable. It seemed an odd request, but knowing her mood I jumped to obey. I yet grew no real beard, but had a soft blonde moustache which needed removing perhaps once a week. Mother appeared in my room as I finished wiping the shaving cream flecks from my face.

"Mother!" I cried, lifting my towel to hide my chest.

"Don't be a fool, boy!" she snapped. "I birthed you, suckled you at my breast, and you have nothing I haven't seen before! Put that towel down."

Shocked, I did what she said, revealing my slender and almost hairless chest.

"Edward, we must needs perpetuate a most deep deception. It may take weeks for Silas to find your fool sister and return with her. There is no way we can put off Graves so long without arousing his suspicions. He knows how much we need his money."

"Mother - what can you mean? Can we not tell him that Evelyn is ill? Or has been called away for family reasons?" I questioned her.

"Tell the man his potential bride is ill? And what sort of illness did you have in mind? And would he not wish to see her? As for your other notion, what business could possibly call her away and not you or I?"

My mother sighed, and her voice softened. "Be sure Edward; I have considered every possibility thoroughly. There is only one good solution - you must take Evelyn's place."

"What? Mother?" I was stunned at the suggestion, as any man might be.

"You and Evelyn have always been almost identical, Edward. In fact, you are probably more slender and graceful than she is! You have most delicate features, and are as softly-spoken as she."

"But I cannot pretend to be awoman, mother! I am a man!" I protested.

"I have seen actors most convincing at the theatre," said Mother firmly. "Mr. Graves will be here with his solicitor tomorrow. He will likely spend very little time with you - perhaps a turn around the garden - ten or twenty minutes at most!"

She paused to let me digest this fact before following it up. "If you do not do this Edward, we are lost! We will need to sell Croftworth and move to Holmshead - we cannot afford to run Croftworth for long - your sister was quite correct about this - blast her! If Mr. Graves realises that your sister has run away, he will abandon all thought of marrying her! We shall never hear from him again!"

My heart was racing, fit to burst; and my stomach seemed full of eels as I considered her words. It was, I supposed, just acting. Like the men in the theatre, as she said. They pretend to be women every day...

Mother of course, knew exactly how to control me in those days, as ever. My lack of self-reliance meant I trusted her judgment more than my own - as I still do, really! In any event, my feeble protests grew feebler still; and soon she had me walking to my sister's room clad in just my breeches and a vest. Little did I know it, but my life was about to change most markedly, and in a most unusual way. I would literally never be the same again!

---

Mother sat me at Evelyn's dressing table, and proceeded to pull out Evelyn's chest of drawers. She hurriedly pulled out several items of clothing, and laid them on the bed.

"Take your underthings off and change into these" said Mother firmly. "I shall return in a few moments."

She left abruptly, and I stood up. Hands trembling, I approached the bed. Several of Evelyn's undergarments were laid out on the bed. In shape, they were not so different from my own, but these were far finer and softer; and trimmed with pale blue ribbon. I picked up a pair of undershorts; prettily frilled and lacking a fly. Surely I did not need to wear these? Certainly no-one would be seeing them! I determined to rebel, but this determination lasted but a moment. Mother would surely chastise me vigorously; and knowing myself, I knew that I would end up wearing them anyway. At least if I were quick, I need not expose myself to my mother's eyes!

Quickly, I stripped off my vest and breeches. Under these were my plain undershorts, and I took these off to stand naked in my sister's pretty bedroom. I took up the pretty undershorts and pulled them up my slender legs. They fit snugly, cupping my sac and shaft neatly. The material was soft against my skin, and I smiled slightly.

Next, I picked up a thin chemise and slid it over my head. The fine cotton smelled slightly of lavender, and I breathed deeply. The chemise was long enough to overhang my undershorts, at least giving me some decency for once my mother returned.

Three items remained on the bed - a pair of stockings, and a plain white underskirt. It seemed sensible to put the innermost layer on first, and I sat on the bed to pull on the cotton stockings. Pale blue, and very fine (aside from a tiny area that had been darned on one toe), the smooth material slid effortlessly over my slender and finely-muscled legs. There was a sparse pattern of fine blonde hairs over my calves and thighs, but these did not penetrate the fine material. My legs were a little longer than Evelyn's, and the first stocking reached to my mid-thigh. It was fixed about the top with a strong blue ribbon, which I tied as tightly as was comfortable. Mother returned as I pulled up the second stocking, placing several things on the bed behind me. Once I had tied up the second stocking, she bade me stand up before her.

Dave933
Dave933
908 Followers