Crabapple Cove Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Sure, Hawkeye. I do." They took a sip of coffee and looked away for a moment. Looking deep into his eyes, she said: "How are you, Hawkeye? After that trouble in Korea at the end?"

He looked at the wall. "Nobody knows back home, that I broke down and spent time at the funny farm. Sid Freeman came to visit last January, guess it was my 5000 mile checkup, and he pronounced me healed. But I can't tell anybody, haven't even told Dad about it. If it gets out the I spent time in a psych ward, I'm a marked man. It's hard to keep a secret."

"I know what you mean. I used to be the party girl, buddied up to all those Generals. Can't tell anybody about Frank Burns. Other than the fact that he's a creep and a hypocrite and only cares about himself. But you can't tell anybody you've had an affair with a married man, not even your best friend. If they know, you're a marked woman."

They looked into each other's eyes, ignoring the food, letting the coffee get cold. The door opened and shut, again and again, letting in waves of heat. He looked at his watch: "We've got to get back, the morning session's going start in 15 minutes."

She put both her hands on both his. "Just a minute, Hawk, there's something I've got to say, and even thought it's taking a huge chance I've got to say it. I know what's missing in my life: you. Ever since that night in the hut with the artillery shells bursting around us, nobody has come close to you, not Scully, not anyone. You're still the wisest, most compassionate man I've ever known."

He looked back from the depths of his brown eyes. "I've never known anyone like you either, Margaret. You have such a passion for life, and you give life so freely. I've known a lot of women in my life, lived with one for a year, but none of them match up. All the women back home can't hold a candle to you."

"All the men in Texas, all the men in the Army can't hold a candle to you. I love you and I think I'll always love you."

Hawkeye sat there speechless for several moments, in rapt attention, unable to speak. At least, he blurted out from a deadpan look: "I just thought of something."

"What?"

"Let's skip the morning session together."

"I thought you've never ask."

***

"We went straight to his hotel room and didn't come out until it was time to go home. I think our clothes were off 15 seconds after we closed the door, we barely got the DO NOT DISTURB sign on the handle. When we weren't busy we ate room service, talked and slept. We agreed what our future would be together after we wore each other out that week and I've never regretted it."

Maggie sat with her mouth open, a tear trickling down her cheek. "That's so beautiful. I can hardly say anything."

"Went back to Fort Sam Houston and resigned my commission. Got to Maine with a duffelbag full of memories as soon as military transport could get me here, and we got married at the courthouse as soon as we could get a license. Six months later, I became head nurse at this hospital, and a year and a half after that your Uncle Alvin was born. We were off to a life together."

"Gosh. Damn. Hell, Major. I never knew you had a relationship with a married man. Never realized that happened back then."

Margaret touched her granddaughter's hand and smiled sadly. "Of course it did, do you think your generation invented it? I was young and stupid, and I'm lucky things didn't turn out worse. It was a good thing I ran into Donald Penobscot: at least he got me away from Frank. That's why it was so hard on us when you had that affair with that married professor when you were in college. At least Frank Burns didn't get me pregnant, and thank God people are less judgemental now than they were back in the 50's. It's not easy when people you love make the same mistakes you did, you feel so helpless. But you've come through beautifully, like a Houlihan woman should, and I'm proud of you."

"My God, Grandmother. It's like a fairy tale, you lived happily ever after."

"Well, don't go that far. If it weren't for Father Francis Mulcahy, we might have broken up ten years later. I'll save that story for now, first we need to check on Hawkeye, then we need to see if your son's awake and hungry. You may need a nap as well. Ready to go?"

"Yes. Where do we pay. . ."

"I have an account here, don't worry about it. 50 years of being the Head Nurse gives you some perks in a small town hospital, especially if you're a part owner. Move out, little soldier."

They walked back up to the third floor and checked with Candi. "Mark Larsen was here two hours ago, and didn't change any orders," she said. "We've kept a close eye on Hawkeye. Mark wants to talk with you and Alvin tonight."

"What did the tests say?"

"I don't think I can. . ."

"Yes, you can Candi. I trained you and you know how to read a report as well as any doctor here. I know it's not procedure, but tell me."

The younger woman took a breath. "He's not going to make it. If he survives, he'll be paralyzed, unable to speak, and will need a feeding tube. If we take out the breathing tube, he'll last a while, but you know as well as I there's no telling how long."

"So that's it?"

"Yes. Sorry, Margaret."

Margaret stood still for a moment, digesting the news, then went into the room and sat beside her husband, holding his limp hand for a long time without speaking. Maggie stood watching the tears run down the older woman's face. She slipped out of her heels to give her feet a rest: the floor felt cold under her feet.

Suddenly, Margaret let go, stood up, brushed the tears aside, and moved toward the door. "Follow me. We've got to get home." They passed the nurses station, and Margaret told Candi: "Tell Mark I'll be back at 1800 and we'll make the decision then." As they rode down the elevator, she swallowed heavily a couple of times, but as the doors opened she turned to her granddaughter and said: "We've got things to do. I'll tell you the rest of the story later today; it's time you heard more. When we get home, I'll call Alvin, feed Bennie, let you rest and get out Hawk's funeral file. A nurse's work is never done; don't forget that now you've become a doctor. Move out."

12
  • COMMENTS
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
3 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 13 years ago
I do

not often comment on Celebrity stories,since in my opinion the majority are assholes,but with this story I felt that I was meeting up with old friends.I look very much forward to continuing the visit.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 13 years ago
Good story so far

This is a great idea and well written however there are some errors in the history when relating back to the events of the actual show. Example:

Donald was a Lt. Colonel, not a Major.

And it wasn't Trapper helping Hawk put Donald in a body cast but rather B. J. Trapper had already left by then as well as Col. Black being killed.

Minor details, otherwise this is great and I look forward to more!

ginmarsniginmarsniabout 13 years ago
...where are the martinis?

I do so hope you'll be able to incorporate something about Hawkeye's predilection for martinis in forthcoming stories......

...remember his quote....

"I’d like a dry martini, Mr. Quoc, a very dry martini. A very dry, arid, barren, desiccated, veritable dustbowl of a martini. I want a martini that could be declared a disaster area. Mix me just such a martini."

Benjamin Franklin (Hawkeye) Pierce (M*A*S*H)

Share this Story

story TAGS

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES

Similar Stories

Her Son's Best Friend Husband was too busy, but her son's friends fulfil her needs.in Mature
The Forcing of Nicole Her shame was in not regretting what happened.in NonConsent/Reluctance
The Flintstones: Wilma Goes Wild Wilma is home alone and has WILD sex.in Celebrities & Fan Fiction
Batgirl Enhanced Ch. 01 A real eye-opener.in Celebrities & Fan Fiction
Failed Nurse A home nurse falls to victim to her depravity.in NonConsent/Reluctance
More Stories