Cross Patch

Story Info
Edwardian scene.
3.7k words
9.4k
00
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Charlie sat alone on his window seat. He sipped gin. Dodgy stood at the bar.

"Bring a bottle over, Ted."

"What do you want?" Charlie said.

Dodgy tugged his collar. "Thought you . . . There's a poker game on . . . You know what Sam's like . . . "

Charlie glanced at Sam. Charlie knew what he was like. He'd known him for ruddy years, since they were born. Their mothers were best friends, walked the streets together.

Charlie sipped his gin.

"Can't say I'm that bothered, meself."

Sam joined them. "Game on?"

"Not that troubled, Sam," Dodgy said.

Sam nodded. "Can't say I'm up to losing me hide."

"What say we go down the front?" Dodgy said.

"To do what?" Charlie said.

"Have some fun."

"You humouring me?"

Dodgy jerked his head, Sam left. He reappeared with two women on his arms and another trailing with her arm looped through her friend. Dodgy glanced at Charlie, and waited. Charlie smiled.

"Oi, Sam. Over here," Dodgy said.

"Ladies, please sit." He stared at the little blonde blue-eyed woman—no reminders. He patted the seat beside him—Fanny's place.

"So what we having?" Dodgy asked, as he stood with his hands gripping the chair backs of the seated women.

"Gins for us, please."

"Oi, Ted. Bring a bottle of gin over."

Ted saluted.

"What're your names, then?" Dave asked.

Charlie placed his hand on Maud's knee. She had a mole above her upper lip. It looked like chocolate sauce. As if she needed to wipe her lips after a rich pudding. Charlie would clean it for her . . . lick it away. Charlie smiled. Jane giggled at every remark Sam made. The man was a ruddy comedian. Sarah hardly spoke, but sipped her gin with quiet resolve. Charlie hadn't seen these women before. Sam had brought them especially from London, fresh to market. Sarah was definitely fresh to this market, and guaranteed clean. They'd waited in a hotel room, but the card game off, Sam brought them to The Turtle. They'd return to London when they were no longer wanted. Sam would return the favour when he found new women.

Charlie liked novelty. This was the first time he'd bloody smiled in weeks. Course, if Emily had hung around Charlie may have found some comfort and relief from his feelings. He was unpredictable and foul tempered. Emily had given Sam and Dodgy nothing but grief since she'd left, and before that, when she arrived. Not so much as stand by your man, but scarper as quickly as possible, and leave them to pick up the pieces—not good.

Charlie stood. He held his arm for Maud, tipped his hat at The Turtle's door, and left. A collective sigh as the regulars expelled held breaths. Dodgy watched in case anyone said a word too much, but there was nothing he could do about their breathing heavily. Dodgy's arm rested along the back of Sarah's chair; he stroked her cheek, and she smiled slightly, glancing up at him from under her lashes—oh, sweet.

"Fancy a foursome, Dave?"

Dodgy stroked Sarah's neck. He looked at Jane and heard that giggle. Sarah's cheeks were much too red and her skin too white. She either tried to appear older than her years, or she was old, and the paint covered her age. But by her behaviour, unless she was a great actress, a possibility, he guessed, or hoped the former.

"No, mate, I'm up early next morning."

Jane giggled. Dodgy raised an eyebrow, patted Sam's shoulder, grabbed Sarah's hand, and steered her from the pub. On the cobbles he pressed her against the wall, hands either side of her head, as he leant over her. He placed his mouth to her lips—sweet breath.

"How old are you?"

"Old enough."

She smiled, and Dave placed his arm around her shoulder. Her choice. As they turned into Commercial Road, he heard that giggle. Sam left The Turtle, and fortunately he lived in the opposite direction.

***

Charlie woke. A pair of big blue eyes confronted him, and her tousled blonde hair flowed in waves over his pillow. "Good morning." Charlie rubbed his eyes, and took his pocket watch from its stand. "Tea. Coffee."

"Want me to make it?"

"No. I want you to tell me what you want."

"Cocoa."

Charlie smiled. How apt. That little chocolate beauty spot on her upper lip . . . Charlie pushed up his front window, shoved two fingers in his mouth, and whistled. The urchins weren't under his window; they were at the corner of the street. He'd normally just have to yell. His whistle pierced his eardrums. He ordered tea and chocolate, a couple of muffins and tossed a shilling to the first pair of grubbing hands.

"Lavatory's through the kitchen, turn right," Charlie said, without waiting for her to ask. "You'll need this." And he tossed her his dressing gown. He watched as she stood, her back towards him; she pulled the dressing gown on her arm. "Turn around." Charlie smiled. He'd keep her for a bit. His front door knocked. "Get the door."

***

Charlie grinned as he entered The Turtle.

"Good night?" asked Dodgy.

"Sam did a good job."

"He has his uses. Oi, Ted. Over here."

Ted saluted. Dodgy took his seat opposite Charlie.

"I'm going to keep her. Tell Sam I need the cost."

"Er."

"What's the, er, for?"

"Thought I'd hang onto Sarah for a bit."

Charlie grinned. "An expensive week."

Which is when Sam arrived, and they turned to him, and waited.

"What?" Sam asked.

"You're late."

"I know. Friggin', what's her name . . . "

"Jane," Charlie said.

"Couldn't get her out me house. Yours alright, Charlie?"

"We were just talking about that, Sam."

"Oh?"

"Get a deal, for both, on a week by week," Charlie said.

"Oh, right. Good. I'm glad you're both so pleased." Sam rolled his eyes.

"Not enjoy yourself then, Sam?" asked Dodgy.

"It was alright . . . although . . . "

Dodgy waited.

"It was her giggle. I mean, it's good someone thinking you're funny and all. But when you're about to get serious and a woman chuckles, it's not funny."

"No," said Charlie.

"No laughin' matter."

They cracked up. Sam frowned. He was sick to death of the sound of friggin' laughter.

***

Maud made him dinner; he'd given her ten shillings to buy food. No sooner had he lowered himself in his armchair, than she poured him a brandy, lit a cigar, and placed it between Charlie's lips.

"Nice."

"Dinner's ready as soon as you want it."

Charlie patted his lap.

"I boiled a ham."

"You did."

He shoved his hand under her skirt, and between her legs.

"I'm not a very good cook."

"No."

"I hope it'll be alright."

"I'm a big eater."

"I noticed."

Charlie smiled. "Your little friend's still here."

"Oh. Who?"

"Sarah."

"Met her at Waterloo Station."

"Dave's taken a shine to her."

"How long am I staying?"

Charlie thrust two fingers in Maud. "Haven't decided."

Maud pouted.

Charlie thought that pout wasted and unbuttoned his fly. She slid from his lap and knelt between his legs. He picked up his brandy and sipped while she sucked. When Charlie experienced an involuntary thrust, he pulled her hair, took a deep breath, and composed himself. She lowered her lips to him again and Charlie said, "Just leave it."

Maud rested her head on his knee, and stroked his thigh and asked, "What's the matter?" as she stroked his shaft.

Charlie sighed. He grabbed her hand, "I said, no."

"Why not?"

"Not yet."

"You're not fed up with me already?" One bloke was better than five or ten blokes a day. How many times could he fuck? Once, twice, if he, and she, were lucky.

"Not yet." Charlie struggled to button his flies. "Get your hat."

Maud took his arm. "Where we going?"

"The pub."

"What about me dinner?"

"You're not a very good cook."

Charlie smiled. Here was Dodgy, and there, Sarah. Charlie took his seat, with Maud beside him. Ted delivered a bottle of gin, saluted and returned to the bar. Charlie looked at Sarah. She reminded him of Fanny—dark eyes, snub nose.

"You look different today, Sarah," Charlie said.

Sarah blushed. Is it that ruddy obvious? Sarah thought.

Charlie raised an eyebrow, smiled, and looked at Dodgy, who shrugged.

"You look prettier without the paint," Charlie said. "Foursome, Dave."

Dodgy looked at Maud and nodded. Sarah rested her hand on Dodgy's knee. Charlie smiled at that gesture. She wants his protection—sweet. But, if you're on the game, you best be a good player. Dodgy pushed his bowler to the back of his head. Charlie wouldn't have pressed it, but Dave was fine. Good.

"Oi, Ted, bottle of Don Perignon."

Dodgy sighed.

"I do have whisky, Dave."

"Good, something for me, then."

"You Dave, can have what you like." Charlie grinned; an eyebrow raised.

Dodgy nodded, grabbed the bottle from Ted, held his arm to Sarah, and followed Charlie from the pub.

***

"What the fuck is that?" Dave shoved his hankie over his nose and mouth. Charlie left the front door open. Dodgy followed Charlie to the kitchen, and shoved up the window.

"Give us that cloth." Charlie launched the pot in the yard.

"What was it?" asked Dave.

"Dinner, she said she wasn't a good cook."

"Didn't say she was an arsonist, though?"

"No, Dave. She left out that detail."

After the air cleared, Charlie rolled a cigarette.

Dodgy poured champagne in three glasses and a whisky for himself.

"You like champagne Sarah," Charlie said.

"I do now."

"Had it before?"

"Just once."

"Just once." He pulled her to his lap.

Maud frowned. Dave placed his arm around Maud's waist and drew her towards him. It wasn't what Maud expected when she was booked for the duration, but still . . . Charlie removed her hat, withdrew the grips, and ran his fingers through Sarah's loosened hair.

"Maud."

"Yes, Charlie?"

Charlie struck a match against his boot. "Undo these hooks and eyes." He handed Sarah to Maud and swallowed his champagne. Dave refilled his glass, and sat on the chair the other side of the fireplace. He leant across and whispered to Charlie.

Charlie shrugged. "Her corset."

Maud gave Sarah's laces a sharp yank, and tossed the corset to the floor.

"Pick it up Maud. Put it on the chair."

Dodgy topped his whisky and took a cigar. He leant back, and cut a pack of cards to the ace of diamonds. "Your choice, Charlie, drawers or that vest?"

"That Dodgy is a chemise." Charlie smiled at Maud. "If you please."

"The shift?"

Charlie sighed, and nodded. "Sarah, help Maud."

"Take off the drawers too," Dodgy said, as he exhaled a plume of smoke.

"Blimey, Dodgy, you smoking that, or impersonating her culinary skills?"

Dodgy smiled. Now he saw through the smoke. "Very nice."

Charlie had to agree. His trouser bulge would have outed him as liar, had he contradicted. "Maud, help your friend. Touch her breast."

Sarah looked to Dodgy. Charlie smiled. Whatever he did, or said, to her last night she believed it had a deeper meaning. Dodgy was like that. He fell in love with women at the drop of his hat. He'd love Maud, as soon as he shoved his dick in her . . .

"You've a very light touch Maud."

"She does," Charlie agreed. "Dodgy, show Maud how to suck a nipple."

Dodgy took Sarah in his arms, took her chin in his hands . . . her expression delightful, so full of hope. She gazed into Dodgy's eyes. His mouth on her neck, just enough to mark her. He leant to her, his lips on her breast; he licked her nipple, and sucked. Dodgy was now without composure, he'd quite forgotten where he was. He slid his hand between her legs, her mouth on hers.

Charlie snapped his fingers, and pointed Maud in Dodgy's direction. She stood behind him and unbuttoned his fly. At Charlie's direction, she slid between Dave and Sarah, placed her mouth to him, and sucked. Charlie loosened his tie, unbuttoned his fly, and stood behind Sarah. Dave took his hands from Sarah. The last thing he wanted to hold was Charlie's dick. Besides, what Maud was doing down there was too distracting. He pulled Maud to her feet—not so fast. His fingers thrust between her legs.

Charlie grabbed Sarah's hand, "You coming Dave?"

"Not yet, mate."

"You two go up. Front right."

Charlie grabbed the champagne bottle. Dodgy swallowed his scotch, and refilled his glass.

"It'll hurt her. Fuck, I hurt her," Dodgy said, and grinned.

"Blimey," Charlie said.

Dodgy kissed Sarah's neck, and shoulder. His finger ran down her spine; he drew her to him and held her against his chest. Charlie kissed Sarah's nipple, and sucked; his hand between Maud's thighs. Maud had an idea where this was going, and was glad it wasn't her. With a bit of luck they'd forget about her. She would retire to the front pantry, roll a cigarette, and have a drink. She'd receive money for being retained. All good, but for now, his fingers functioned between her legs.

Maud stroked his cock—show a bit of willing. God, he was huge, poor girl. Charlie seized her hand. Tender. It also prevented her stoking his cock. Charlie placed his dick between Sarah's thighs, and kissed her cheek, her neck and sucked . . . another mark. Dodgy pulled her towards him. Maud slid from the bed, and closed the door.

Charlie wrapped his arm around Dodgy and pulled them forwards. Sarah cried. Charlie told her to, "Shh," and kissed her forehead. Dodgy suddenly thrust Sarah towards Charlie. Her nails scratched Charlie's back, and he stroked her hair.

Maud heard her screams. She hoped the neighbours wouldn't call the coppers. She rolled a cigarette, and tobacco dropped from the paper, aided by her shaking hands. Men, why did they always do that to the new girls? Maud didn't know this girl, but she knew what she was going through. Men paid extra for that privilege, but these two paid just a retainer, and fucked her for that discounted rate. Maud drew her knees to her chin on the armchair, exhaled cigarette smoke, and sipped champagne. She wouldn't dress; they may call for her.

Charlie shoved his head around the door. Maud smiled.

"Sorry about that."

"It's okay."

He sat on the arm of her chair and stroked her hair. Dodgy followed ten minutes later.

"Should I go to her?" Maud asked.

"No," said Dodgy.

Dodgy followed Charlie to the kitchen.

"Don't think I'll be able to take her home."

"Leave her there."

"I'll stop, if that's okay. I'm pretty fucked."

Charlie shrugged.

"Not sure Sam's going to be too pleased."

"No."

"He'll have to pay for the damage."

"Use Harold's old room."

"Maud?"

"Take her with you. Don't want her creeping about."

Charlie turned the key in the lock of his bedroom. He didn't want Sarah sneaking about, either.

***

Charlie placed a cup of tea, on his bedside table.

"Morning, sleepyhead."

Sarah stared at him and drew the quilt to her chin. He wiped away her tear with his finger. "I've brought you a cuppa." He sat on the side of his bed. "Sit up."

Sarah slid slowly up the bed, dragging the blankets with her, and tucked to her chin.

Dodgy stood in the doorway. "Alright?"

"She's fine." Charlie rubbed what he assumed was her knee. "Tell Maud to run a bath." Charlie turned his attention back to Sarah. "You'll take a bath. Help you relax." He patted her thigh.

Maud heard Charlie and Dave go downstairs. She left the bathroom to tiptoe across the hall, and slowly opened the bedroom door. Charlie and Dodgy looked up at the ceiling.

Charlie rolled his eyes. "Women, always creeping about."

Sarah jumped when the door handle turned, and shook as the door slowly opened.

"It's me. You alright?" Maud whispered.

Sarah nodded.

"I'm running a bath, rose or lavender?"

Sarah frowned. She'd no idea what she meant.

"The fragrance for the bath salts?"

Sarah shook her head.

"I'll do lavender, then."

"Maud."

"Charlie! I was just asking what scent she wanted."

"I know. Fetch my dressing gown." Charlie had second thoughts. "I'll get it." He didn't want a whore in Fanny's bedroom. He'd not have it sullied.

***

Charlie had a bathroom, with a basin and a bath. He had no idea why anyone would have a lavatory inside the house. Crapping in your own backyard . . . Or, in Charlie's case that was exactly where it was housed, but it was his own private privy. Maud sat on a wicker chair and waited for the tub to fill. Lavender scented the steaming air. She dunked her hand to check its temperature. Perfect. Sarah looked five in Charlie's dressing gown; the hem brushed the floor, her hands lost in dangling sleeves.

"Once you're in, I'll scrub your back, how's that?"

Sarah nodded. Maud winced, and they weren't her bruises. "Just lie back." Maud moved the wicker chair to the end of the bath, and slowly and gently brushed Sarah's hair. "If it gets cold, we can top it up."

Sarah nodded. The front door slammed and Sarah jumped. "That's them going out. Heard them talking about a business appointment. You can take as long as you like." Maud twisted and pinned Sarah's hair to a topknot. "Give us that sponge." Lavender lathered soap burst through her fingers. "Sit forward; I'll do your back."

Livid bruises crossed Sarah's back; her skin wasn't broken, though. Men like pack animals, competing for top dog. Maud held the towel for her. Her thighs, were the most badly bruised, with long red scratches for added contrast. Her neck bore many love bites! Maud helped her dress. "There, almost as good as new. Take me arm."

They walked downstairs. One-step at a time. It took five minutes to reach the front room. "I'll get you a drink." Maud poured two large gins and sat in the chair opposite. "You have to decide whether you can do this. You've experienced something, one of, but not the worst . . . "

Sarah's big brown eyes grew bigger.

"Maybe it's not for you; depends on your alternatives."

"I ran away."

Maud topped her glass.

"Me dad died."

Maud nodded. She'd let her talk. First word she heard her say since yesterday.

"Me mum had eight of us."

Maud nodded.

"Shoved us in the workhouse. The master's son wouldn't leave me alone . . . "

"Took you, did he?"

Sarah shook her head. "I ran away before . . . "

"So why are you here?"

"I met someone. He said he'd look after me. Give me a room for the night."

"Oh?"

"He reckoned it was best . . . I leave town, and the wardens wouldn't find me. He put me on the train. I came here."

"Oh, goodness'. You've never been with a man?"

Sarah shook her head.

"Dave, was your first bloke?"

"He said. He loved me. He said . . . He'd find me a husband, to look after me."

"Who did?"

"The man at the station. He needed a wife for his business."

"Who needed a wife?"

"David."

Maud couldn't believe it. She couldn't believe Sarah believed it. Blimey, they must have paid a fortune for her. It explained the handing over at Waterloo, and the: Make sure she arrives safely. I hold you responsible. Why the hell didn't she say something? Mind, if she had, what could she have done? They'll never resell her as a virgin. How could that Dave do this? He knew. He must have known, the bastard. Maud topped their glasses

***

The front door opened and slammed shut.

"Just smile. That's all you need do. Let me do the talking."

Charlie filled the doorframe. "Ladies, excuse us."

Dodgy waited in the kitchen. Charlie withdrew a roll of notes from his jacket pocket. Counted out fifty, and handed them to Dodgy.

"Thanks. What do you want to do with them?" Dodgy said, as he rinsed his raw knuckles under the tap.

"I'll keep her. She's paid for. Sarah?"

Dave shook his head.

"Best get her on the train, then."

The men joined the ladies in Charlie's front parlour. Sarah smiled. Least Charlie thought that's what she did.

"Sarah, you'll go with Dave to the station," Charlie said.

"What do you mean?" asked Maud.

Charlie smiled, and said, "Am I speaking Greek?"

Maud shook her head.

"You understand me?"

12