Crossing Moon Ch. 09

Story Info
...of a wolf's heartbreak.
3.2k words
4.64
19.7k
7

Part 9 of the 15 part series

Updated 10/17/2022
Created 06/27/2009
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Jayleen88
Jayleen88
545 Followers

***

All thanks goes to Izabella for editing the series!

Don't forget: VOTE and COMMENT! hahaha... thanks!

***

From Aveline Erickana Ruben's diary:

24th October 2008, 11.45 PM, my bedroom.

He wasn't in school.

Avvie

_ _ _ _

25th October 2008, 8.30 PM, my bedroom.

No Max.

Avvie

_ _ _ _

26th October 2008, 9.45 PM, my bedroom.

No Max again.

Avvie

_ _ _ _

27th October 2008, 11.15 PM, my bedroom.

Where are you, Max?

Avvie

_ _ _ _

28th October 2008, 8.05 PM, my bedroom.

He's gone. He didn't even say good-bye... How could he?

Avvie

_ _ _ _

29th October 2008, 10.45 PM, my bedroom.

He really is gone.

Avvie

_ _ _ _

30th October 2008, 6.20 PM, my bedroom.

Not even a single good-bye...

Avvie

_ _ _ _

31st October 2008, 11.50 PM, my bedroom.

How could he leave me hanging like this??

Avvie

From Carinelle Hynes Thorn's diary:

31st October 2008, 9.15 PM, my bed.

I know that I've been neglecting my journal for the past few days but really, what was there to say? My heart broke. I'm sick and tired of trying to pretend that I am OK with Alven being with HER.

Anyway, I don't want to speak more about it.

That's something really rotten that I don't want to deal with.

At least, I have good news though. Malcolm said I can go home for the school break and from there, if I still feel like staying, I could leave Lexton forever.

It's nice of Malcolm to be considerate and all but I don't need second thoughts. I'm burning here already.

And Aveline's been moping around the past few days. She didn't even want to run with me. And I thought I have problems...

Carrie.

***

School seemed meaningless now but Aveline knew that she had to keep her priorities straight. She didn't come to Aliaxia to find boys; she was here to achieve more than just being an Alpha Princess. She wanted to taste a life outside the pack and she was on her way on doing that.

But she couldn't help but to feel an emptiness gnawing within her. Like, something was missing. It was strange to feel this way, she had to admit that but she must ignore this. She knew that she had started feeling this emptiness the moment she realized that Max was gone.

She didn't even know where he had gone to.

She had been to Wolfy Cafe earlier, right after she had finished school. Somehow she already knew that she wouldn't see Max in school that day or even any days after that. She was furious with him, that was true but she wanted to know where he had gone to or at least, an answer to why he had left so suddenly.

Alven's human girlfriend was there at a counter, wiping the counter with a cloth. Yvainne looked up, smiling at Aveline. "Hi there, Aveline," she said to her with a big smile, "Origa Coffee, today?"

Avvie wasn't in the mood for any coffee but she nodded anyway -- she needed the props to be there, she sat down on the stool and watched her making her order.

She looked around; there were more customers than she had usually seen in the cafe. "Busy day, huh?" she asked her as she whipped up extra cream on her coffee.

Vannie smiled. "Yeah, ever since I ran the business, people keep on coming."

"Run the business?"

Yvainne smiled wanly, "Yeah, Adrian asked me to run the family business."

"Hmm." Aveline took a sip on her coffee.

"Anyway," Yvainne started, Aveline looked up at her, "I've been thinking about your brother and me."

"What about it?" seriously, she didn't feel like wanting to be involved with Alven's love affair.

"I really love him,"

"You just met him," Aveline said testily, "Don't be so melodramatic."

Yvainne looked hurt and Aveline wasn't sorry at all. "I DO love him but sometimes, I feel that there's this distance between us," she ignored Aveline's remark and went on, "Like, he wouldn't let me come close."

"Are you trying to be clingy?"

Yvainne blushed. "No, I didn't mean it that way..."

"Vannie, can you tell me something?"

"What?"

Aveline sighed, "Where's Max?"

She shrugged, "I don't know," she admitted, "They left so suddenly you know, it's like, the only thing that Max told me is they've got some family matters to solve."

"When will they come back?"

"They didn't say," she said, and then paused as she went to greet another customer.

Aveline took the time to think and digest what she had told her. So far, the only thing that made sense to her was the Adams had left to solve some family matters.

"Are they coming back?" Aveline asked once Vannie returned to her.

"Of course, I'm just running the business here on a temporary basis," she smiled.

"Really?"

"Yes!" Yvainne laughed, "Really, Avvie, you sound like your life depends on it."

"I don't think they're really coming back, Yvainne." She didn't feel like calling her by her nickname.

"How would you know that? You don't even know where they've gone to!" She snapped at her.

"Then, why did the school registrar said that Maxwell Jay Adams had transferred school?" Aveline told her with sheer annoyance.

"You're lying! You bitch, don't you dare to make up stories!" Yvainne shook her head, "They won't do this to me."

Aveline stood up and fished out some money from her bag. "You know what, Yvainne? You might be dating my brother, but you're starting to get on my nerves." She turned and started to leave.

Yvainne sighed, looking at the money on the counter, "Aveline, wait!" Aveline stopped, and looked at her sharply. Yvainne paused for a moment, "Look, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be so rude -,"

"And potty mouth, don't forget that." Aveline added.

Yvainne managed to smile, "Yes, I was being irrational."

Aveline sighed and then went back to sit on the stool, "Do you know how to contact them?"

Yvainne shook her head, "I wish I had, I really do, Avvie."

"So, what are we going to do now?" Aveline asked her.

"They'll come back," Yvainne said reassuringly, "They promised."

And Aveline just stirred her cup of coffee silently, somehow doubting it.

***

Life in Thorn Estate was definitely new and in some way, fulfilling. Malcolm wasn't kidding when he said the life in a pack was gratifying. It turned out that since Alexander had considered Adrian as a part of his family, both he and Max could stay in Alexander's home quarter, even if the two of them were still low ranks.

Their status in the wolf hierarchy did not change much. They were still low ranks by name but were excluded from low ranks work and instead, now, Max and Adrian had got to do tasks similar to what the in-commands offspring had done.

His father's room was a few doors down the corridor of the quarter.

Elizabeth had told Max that the room next to his room was their daughter's old room -- the Alpha Queen of Ruben Pack.

"I'll take you there," Elizabeth had said happily, "Gracie would love to see you."

"Oh, there... as in to Ruben Pack?"

Elizabeth laughed, "Yes, and maybe you'll get to meet my grandchildren!"

"Grandchildren?"

"Yes, my dear precious Ave-,"

But Elizabeth didn't manage to say her words as Alexander popped his head into the room, smiling, "Max, you have a visitor."

"A visitor?"

The visitor turned out to be Michael, the third-in-command of Thorn Pack and now, he was giving Max a little brief on what he has got to do in the pack.

Michael was bossy and proud and it was irritating to walk with him along the long corridor of the Thorn Estate but he knew that it wasn't wise of him to pick fights. He was a newbie here, an outsider to the pack system even if the Alpha Thorn had acknowledged him and his father.

"Now, you should know that Stevenson's father had retired last summer and had given the in-command torch to him so it's just you and Haylie left," Michael told him.

"And so?" Max still didn't get why he couldn't just get to the point.

"Well, Haylie is the Alpha Queen's beta so she's kind of excluded from the in-command thing." Michael continued.

"Basically, what are you trying to say here, Michael?" Max asked impatiently.

"Well, I've asked the Alpha about this matter and your task in the pack will be given later," Michael paused, "So, for now, I think it's best you try to familiarize yourself with the Estate's surrounding."

"How about school? Don't I have to go and find one?"

Michael looked at him as if he was crazy. "We don't go to regular schools."

"What?!"

Michael laughed, "Seriously, man, I know that you lived your life as a human but still, we as wolves, we have our own world."

"But the Alpha's children..."

Michael cut his words, "The Alpha Princess is an exception," he paused, "And the Alpha only has one daughter, get your facts straight, Maxwell."

"I lived among the humans all my life, Michael," Max said to him, irritation building inside him. He was so tempted to hurl that posh and proud wolf into the bin, "I can blend in well."

"If you're so eager to mingle among the lower race, then be my guest!" Michael growled, "Go! Ask the Alpha! See if he'll let you do this idiotic thing! I should have known! A half blood such as you is no worthier than a piece of rock. Mingling with hum-"

He never did manage to say what his words as Max snapped, growling, he hurled Michael on the hem of his expensive collar shirt and smashed him to the wall. "First of all, the humans are not lower race, you psychopath," he said to him sternly, "And I am proud of my heritage, at least, I am not a discriminating moron like you."

Michael growled, "Take your filthy hands off me, you insipid mutt! I am your in-command!" he pushed his hands off him.

"You're only the THIRD in-command! Don't get your head too big about it!" Max hissed.

"And you are just a filthy half blood who's more suited for a life as a meaningless low rank!! It is beyond me why Alexander chose to consider your traitorous father like family!"

Max's eyes went wide. "Don't you dare call my father that way!" and he lunged for Michael's throat, phasing into his wolf form without his realizing it.

Michael and Max rolled across the marble floor. Max, already in his wolf form, did not give Michael the chance to phase into his wolf form. He took a healthy bite on Michael's biceps, making him scream in pain. Rage filled his veins as he continuously attacked Michael.

Michael gave a good attack, hitting Max on the head with his strong arm and then kicking him under the belly but regardless, Max was full of anger and irritation. He forgot where he was at the moment, not caring on what he did. Ever since, he gave in to his wolf instincts, he never really got a good grip on handling his temper. He needed to learn on controlling his wolf side.

Michael managed to get his hand on a fallen vase and smashed it directly onto Max's head. Disorientated, Max released his iron grip bite off Michael's bleeding neck. There was one thing to admit submission to a wolf in a battle, but it was entirely a different thing to admit defeat to a half blood!

Michael took the chance and phased into his wolf form, leaping onto Max and both wolves rolled and hit their backs to the wall. The other low ranks heard the commotion and were now witnessing the fight.

It won't be long till the in-commands or worse, the Alpha gets here.

Michael might be proud but he was an extremely good fighter and the fact that he had embraced his wolf side ever since he was born certainly added to his advantage and within minutes, he had Max pinned on the floor with his teeth sunk deep into Max's neck, demanding him to submit defeat. Max felt pain surging in him but he didn't want to back down.

Michael increased the pressure on the neck, growling, demanding him to admit defeat. It was better for him to admit defeat than wait the arrival of the other in-commands or the Alpha. The pain was just too much. His inexperience of controlling his wolf side made him admit defeat. He stopped moving and a minute later, Michael released his grip on Max's neck. He phased back into his bleeding naked human form and said, "Do not mess with me, half blood," as one of the low rank scurried to his side and gave him a silk robe.

Max phased to his human form, bleeding profusely, he knew that he might need some stitches.

"You're a jerk." Max panted as he sat up and thanked the low rank who gave him a silk robe. He put it on and put pressure on his neck to stop the bleeding.

"This is how the pack works," Michael scoffed at him, "If you can't deal with it, you might as well just go away."

Sure enough, Alexander and Stevenson arrived.

Alexander, seeing Max bleeding on the floor, looked at Michael and chastised him, "Michael, there is no need for violence here; you know full well that Maxwell is new with the wolf world. Give him a little time to adjust life in Thorn Pack."

Michael scoffed, "Alexander, I respect and look up to you, but I do not let anybody pushed me around."

"He was being exceptionally rude about my heritage." Max growled as he stood up, tightening the silk robe to his body.

Alexander shook his head, "And yet, it still does not justify for violence here."

"I'll let this whole thing off, Alexander," Michael said, "Besides, I won the fight." Max growled but seeing Alexander shot a disapproving look at him, made him docile.

Michael smiled, "Honestly Max, do not worry, it is certainly fun to flex my wolf muscles," he grinned, "I think we'll be good friends."

Friends, my ass! Max thought to himself and this time, he could control his thoughts.

"Now, I think it's best for the area to be cleaned up," Alexander signalled a few of the low ranks to start cleaning the 'battle field'. He went to Max and then examined his wounds. Michael was already long gone into his home quarter at this time.

"Stop it, Alexander." Max sighed, "You don't have to fuss about this."

"You might not be of my blood but we are still family regardless," Alexander told him. "Come now, let's go and take you to the Pack Doctor, I think you need some stitches."

What could Max do but just nod in agreement?

***

Aveline was depressed. Malcolm noticed that. It was pretty difficult to keep a smiley face when one's heart felt like it was being torn and trampled.

"Is there something bothering you, Alpha Princess?" he asked her, one evening during dinner. Alven, as usual, was already on his second plate. Carinelle, on the other hand, looked equally morbid like Aveline herself.

It was like somebody died here.

Alven seemed to be the only one who was content, although deep inside, he was actually troubled to see that his best friend and sister were unhappy.

Aveline barely touched her plate but she took a sip from her orange juice. "I'm all right." She whispered, a little hoarse.

"You don't sound so convincing, Aveline, and this applies to you too, Carinelle," Malcolm said steadfastly, "Is it this place that's bothering you two? Do you miss home?"

Carinelle nodded her head eagerly, "Yes, Malcolm," she said, "You already know full well that I want to go home,"

Malcolm pondered for a moment, "When will the semester ends, Alpha Prince?"

"Two weeks from now, I suppose, we already did some of our tests," Alven replied.

"I guess we can go home earlier than the schedule permits," Malcolm said.

Carinelle brightened, "Honestly? You are not joking, are you Malcolm?"

"Dear Carinelle, have you ever seen me joke?"

Good point, Carinelle thought with amusement.

Aveline stood up, "Excuse me, but I feel rather full."

"Sit down, Aveline," Alven snapped, "You barely touched anything on your plate!"

Aveline scowled but she obeyed her brother anyway and picked up her spoon and scowled again to her food.

"Eat," Malcolm ordered, "Or I'll change my mind about us going home early."

That made Aveline and Carinelle snapped their senses and start eating. Alven shook his head. Whatever was going on with these two wolves? He thought.

Malcolm seemed to think about the same thing too.

Perhaps the idea of experiencing life in the human world was a big mistake -- something that both Aveline and Carinelle seemed to agree upon. Except for Alven though, he had a blast.

***

Max winced as the Pack Doctor applied some alcohol on his wound. It was starting to heal but having stitches would help the wound heal even faster.

"So, Maxwell, am I correct?" the Pack Doctor asked.

"Yes, and you are, Doc?"

He grinned as he threw the piece of cotton into a bin next to him and then examined the stitches he had done earlier, "Daniel Roshern Thorn," he told him.

"Doc Danny?" Max was amused.

"Yes, you could say that."

"How is it that you become a doctor?"

"Simple," Daniel said as he put the bandage on top of his wound, "I went to medical school."

"That moron said -- and I quote, "We don't go to regular schools" and only "The Alpha Princess is an exception" -- God! Where's the fairness?!" Max demanded, wincing again as he accidentally made his stitches moved.

"Ah, Michael can be a bit of himself sometimes," Daniel agreed, "But he's a good fellow."

"He is still a moron to me."

"A moron perhaps but he is of your senior rank, have some respect, Maxwell," Daniel said wisely, "You are no longer living in a human world, this is the Pack, learn to live by the rules. Know your place in the system and you'll be fine."

"It's still not fair," Max groused, "I was raised in a world where I can speak and do with my own free will."

"The same goes here, Maxwell but I have to admit, there are still some parts in the Pack System that you need to obey and follow without any question." Daniel paused, "All right, it's done, just make sure that you get enough sleep tonight and by tomorrow, your wounds will heal perfectly."

Max stood up. "Thanks, Doc."

He was about to leave the clinic when Daniel stopped him, Max turned and looked at him expectantly ;Daniel smiled and said, "Welcome back home, Maxwell."

Home? Is this really my home? Max thought secretively to himself but he smiled again anyway, appreciating the fact that at least someone did care of his existence here in Thorn Pack.

He only wished he could see Aveline once again, to have her in his arms. He sighed. He knew it was impossible.

***

TO BE CONTINUED...

***

Jayleen88
Jayleen88
545 Followers