Cupid's Revenge - Charlie

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
JakeRivers
JakeRivers
1,057 Followers

Jim, a very scared Jim, nodded at her to go ahead and tell him whatever she had to say.

"When Marie died of the drug overdose, I was in the hospital in Germany from a car crash. Not being able to go to her funeral, to say goodbye to her was hard on me. You can understand that, can't you?"

Jim nodded but didn't say anything.

"So I internalized everything. I came to believe that I owed her something: that whoever was responsible for giving her the drugs should have to pay. I wasn't totally honest about why I joined the police force. Part of the reason was to be more able to look at police files.

"I started investigating, going over the files, talking to anyone that might have some information. I talked a lot with my sister, Doris, since she was closer to what happened than I was. She did some work on her own to find the man with the drugs. I talked to her about everything, and together we came up with a name. I looked into it more and satisfied myself that this man was the guilty one. And so the first Cupid killing happened.

"I tracked him for weeks and saw him – I have a cigar box of photos – well, he gave drugs to kids and vulnerable people for free to get them hooked. I saw the lives he ruined. I saw how he had ruined Marie's life.

"I started planning. I knew in general how to get away with it but I didn't want to take any chances that something would go wrong. As it turned out I only made one mistake. I told Doris everything I found out. She knew all my plans."

"Could I have another brandy? And a glass of water?"

Numb, Jim acceded to her requests, saying nothing.

"I looked at every detail. I made alternative plans and I made contingency plans. Finally I was ready to go. I reviewed everything with my sister and she couldn't find any fault with it.

"Finally, on the night I chose, I got there a half hour later than I had planned because I'd received a tip that the target had a party to stop at. I had my parking spot all selected and when I got there I saw Doris' car! I hurried up the back way of the building which had accidently been left unlocked. When I came out on the roof I could see someone standing at the parapet with bow in hand.

"I crept closer and I could see the bow string being pulled back. Taking a chance I whispered with a voice that would carry, 'Doris, don't!'

"It was Doris and she was able to stop the shot. I argued with her to go home and take care of her family, that maybe this wasn't such a good thing to do. She left – I told her I'd check and make sure nothing was left behind – and waited until I knew for sure she was gone. I edged over to the wall and saw the target standing there. I'd brought my favorite bow with me and without thinking I shot the arrow at his throat. I knew from shooting thousands and thousands of arrows where it went so I didn't stop to see what happened.

"I left and went home. I killed that damn drug dealer and I don't feel a bit bad about it. I know I might have lost your love but I couldn't marry you without telling."

Jim sat there staring at her, putting things together. Remembering little things, small niggles of suspicions, reactions, etc. He looked at her and she had a small, sad smile on her face.

"What?" Jim asked.

She handed Jim one of the small plastic coated cards they used to read from to give the Miranda warning. "You'd better use this in case I say something from here on that you might want to use as evidence against me."

"Damn," Jim thought, "a stupid rookie mistake." But then he thought about the big picture: The wedding in a few hours, how much he loved her, what was important in life.

Jim took her hand and led her to the bed. They crawled under the covers and fell into a deep sleep … at least Charlie did. Jim lay there, wide awake thinking, "Why did you tell me, Charlie? Damn, I wish you hadn't!"

The next day the wedding went off as planned and everyone migrated over to the hall where the reception was. Jim seemed to drink more than normal, but hell, it was a wedding. When Jim was pretty close to three sheets to the wind on late evening of Valentine's Day he found himself dancing with Doris.

"Jim, when you have a chance I have a small confession to make to you."

JakeRivers
JakeRivers
1,057 Followers
12