Dark Serenity

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Th.... thank you sir."

"And another thing whenever a man of such class like myself, you should be grateful that he is talking to you, and stop trying to runaway from him." He said jerking her forward "Its very rude of you, especially when you are beneath me. You didn't even apologize for your rudeness." She was scared now; he had grabbed both of her arms and pulled her so close to him she felt like she was suffocating.

"I am so sorry sir please may I go now. I promise my rudeness will never happen again."

"I am pretty sure it won't." as he let go of her arms he grabbed her face and kissed her hard.

She was struggling for release, struggling for air, and just plain struggling. Despite him being a beautiful man, his breath smelled awful, like he was drinking whiskey non-stop, and his kisses tasted even worse. In any other setting she would have loved this, but not now.

He tasted and smelled like whiskey and she kept smelling smoke on him like he had been somewhere with a lot of fire. She started beating his chest to let her go, but it was no use. She was a 5'1" petite black woman that weighed 94 pounds trying to fend of man that stood over her at 6'6" and out weighed her by well she didn't know how much he weighed, but he felt heavy.

He was tall, big, and very strong. He looked like he could hold a horse over his head if he wanted too, he felt that strong. She knew one place he wasn't strong yet she thought to herself and with all the strength she could muster she kicked him in his groin just like she did in her dream.

He released her and let out a loud, painful scream while doubling over. She stood surprised that she could do something like that. She hurried to the bedroom door trying to let herself out but she felt a large hand grab her ankle making her fall to the floor with a scream and a thud.

"Why you ungrateful little bitch. You disrespectful little niggalet of a Jezebel, I was giving you what I know every black woman wants, and you go and hurt me like that, how dare you." He said turning her to face him. She was scared, tears in her eyes.

He climbed over her small body and started fumbling with her maid uniform trying to take it off. This could not be happening to her. Her use to be dream man was going to take advantage of her. 'He can't do this to me; I will not let that happen.'

She knew her struggling wouldn't do anything to this man but make him giggle, she took her free hand and clawed at his face with her long nails and kicked him in his groin again.

This time he was in real pain with his face and groin hurting. With no time to spare she got up and ran out of the bedroom.

By the time she ran down the hallway and reached the stairs she saw the Smiths and Vermont's making their way the stairs. "What happen we heard screaming?"

With tears still in her eyes she did her best to explain what happen. "he...he.. tried to...'

Before she could even finish Jackson ran out of the room towards them. "The little jezebel attacked me that's what."

"NO! I did not he tried to rape me."

"You are a fucking liar and you know it. She came on to me offering sexual services, and when I turned her down she attacked me, see look at my face, the little bitch scratched me." When they saw the scratch marks on his face they gasped.

"How could one so little do harm to such a big man." Mrs. Vermont said

"I'll tell you how. The mark of Jezebel, all black women have it, my father has been telling me this since I was a child. I have tried to ignore it for the longest time and thought of it as untrue but looking at my little brother right now, my father was right."

"But I didn't do anything please believe me I have no marks of this Jezebel woman whoever she is." Eliza said crying.

"SHUT UP AND STOP CRYING" Mrs. Smith yelled at her. "You have caused enough trouble for the day and enough pain for this family. You are lazy, you can't cook, you day dream all day long, can't work fast enough like we tell you, complain to much, and your sewing skills are slipping."

"What do you mean slipping the dress she you and Sally Ann were beautiful, did you not hear the compliments you received last night?" Mrs. Vermont said

"It does not matter, she and her mother needs to go now. Go get your mother and the both of you leave my house this instance. Your services are no longer needed."

"What about lunch and dinner." Her husband asked.

"You wouldn't want her want cooking darling. You see how she attacked your brother, god only knows what she might do to our food she could poison us for all I know."

"Well you been eating her cooking you didn't want to let them go after they cooked?" Mr. Vermont said.

"No they need to leave now. You and your mother have ten minutes to leave this property, or I will have your black asses thrown in jail do understand me."

"Yes" she said crying.

This is just so unfair, why would they believe him over her, she was the one who got attacked first and almost raped. She was basically being fired for defending herself. Before she went downstairs to get her mother she caught a glimpse of Jackson. He had this little smirk on his face that made want to vomit.

How can a beautiful man like that turn out to be such a monster on the inside? She thought puzzling. She walked downstairs with tears pouring from here eyes like a river.

She went into the kitchen where her mother was and told her what happened. Her mother was also upset at the outcome of things and grabbed what little they had; said their goodbyes to the wonderful Romanian woman and left. This was the only job they had that helped pay the bills and now they had to struggle to find more work.

They held their heads down as they walked back home.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Josephina liked the new friends she met today. They were sweet, warm, and full of life. Despite the many things they endured from people day in and day out they remained upbeat and positive and the young one was so naïve about life.

She actually thought it was funny that the little young one got mad when she didn't think her twenty-five years of age on this earth wasn't old. She might have thought of herself as old but when you live as long she had, then you can consider yourself old.

The girl was still just a child that had to learn more about the world. She could tell the girl was sheltered, what with her father being a pastor living off the tithes of the good church people. She was only let out to cook, clean, and make clothes for a family that hated her for her skin color. On top of all that to almost get raped by a hung-over man.

She wasn't surprise when the lady of the house took up for the man who had the stench of blood on him. She had been trying to get rid of Eliza ever since last night when that man had been ogled her the whole time.

She just found the perfect excuse to do so. "Josephina what is taking you so long with those damn steaks hurry up I am hungry." Mrs. Vermont yelled. Letting out a chuckle Josephina was thinking of the outcome of the things that would happen in the very near future.

The two arrogant families that she is so freely 'serving' and the vile disgusting people she had met will have another thing coming to them when the time comes.

"Coming Mrs. Vermont your dinner is served."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Eliza sat in the front row of church with a bible in her hands praying for a better day to come. She still felt sick to her stomach at what happened two days ago. She cried until her eyes were sore. Not only was she fired, but she was fired for being almost raped.

Her father was outraged when he first got wind of this. It was the first time ever that she had heard him curse like a sailor, and wanted to hit something. But deep down she knew her father could nothing about it, do nothing to protect the women he loved from those who meant them harm. He tried calling the NAACP but they were always too busy with the big time stuff such as race riots, living conditions, and fighting against Jim Crow laws.

But no matter how hard they tried the NAACP couldn't be everywhere all the time. He had even written them letters about all the horrible things that were going on in South Carolina but he never got a response. They were working hard for better conditions for colored people, but they were just one organization trying to help millions of people in an extremely racist world.

"I will no longer idly set by while they continue to harass our women and get away with it. I will no longer walk by an oak tree and see my fellow black man hanging from it. I will no longer keep my head down every time a white man talks to me. I shouldn't have to be accused of raping a white woman just because she said so. Me and five other black people should not have to set on the last two seats in the back of the bus."

"That's right pastor, preach" one woman said from the congregation.

"I shouldn't have to go in the back of restaurant to eat, I should not have to be the one to think of myself as less than a man to make them feel better about themselves. This has to end and I will do my damn best to do it. We are equal, and we should be treated as such. Our mistreatment will end today at whatever cost necessary." Charles shouted with tears in his eyes. Eliza was proud and also very scared for her father.

The whole congregation went up in a roar. They all cheered with newfound hope that their church leader finally gave the colored people of Charleston, South Carolina. In fact they were so riled up they failed to realize an onlooker was peeking inside through the window and had heard everything that went on.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The old farmer was too conflicted with all the thoughts that went through his mind. One side of his brain was saying that this was a bad idea, and he had no place eavesdropping like he did and the other part was telling him to go to the authorities about the possible danger of a hostile black man.

His ignorant side won when he went into the police station to report what he saw.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Are you sure about this John?" the police sheriff asked

"Yes sir I am very sure. He seemed like such a good man, but now for some reason he has completely changed. I wasn't eavesdropping on him on purpose, but when I heard him ranting on when I was for my dog Bo Bo. If you don't mind me asking sir, but what will happen to him, I mean he hasn't bother anybody til now."

"You don't worry about that John, now go back to your farming, I have to make a few calls to the boys."

"Yes sir."

With that he got up and headed to the phone and started dialing. He waited for a few seconds until the person he wanted said hello.

"Jackie boy I need you to get everything ready for tomorrow night, we have something to get rid off."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Despite everything that what happened to Eliza, today was a new day. Her father gave a good sermon yesterday. When she finally arose from the bed the sun was shining through her windows down upon her. She gave out a good stretch and headed to freshen herself up for the day.

She made her way downstairs to meet her mother who sat at the kitchen table with her grandmother and dad.

"So what are we going to do about money, we are probably to loose our home because of what happen few days ago. Charles I mean you and Eliza are the most educated ones in the house right now, and that will damn sure get us nowhere but lower then the bottom. My sewing skills can only get us so far."

"Martha you need not to worry about such things. Look the only thing we need to worry about is making things better around here. Do you know how hard it is for a colored person to get a job around here, and get paid a decent enough amount of money?"

"Ray is happy making almost a dollar day. Now I know that the church can't keep a roof over our heads, but if need be we all can just move into the church if we have to."

"And what about Charles and Martin when they come back from Canada. We all are going fit in that one little church. Charles we are a poor black family that's made up of nothing but females, we are going to starve to death." Martha said crying

"Martha sweetie look—" whatever he was about to say was cut off by a knock on the door.

"Eliza honey, get the door." She rose from her seat and left the room. At the door was the middle age Romania woman. Eliza squealed with glee. It was so nice seeing the older woman again, she had become friends with her on the day that they met, and couldn't help think about her ever since.

"Hello there um, I never knew your name."

"Its Josephina child. I stopped by to see how are you doing sweetness, umm are you going to invite me in?"

"Um sure come in. and yes I am doing just fine despite what happened to me, can I get anything like food or something to drink?"

"Oh you are such a sweet child, you stay so positive and don't let the bad things get to you, I going to keep you if you keep this up darling. You would be a wonderful addition to my family."

"Oh no ma'am I don't think my parents will allow that. They already have two sons in Canada and I pretty sure they don't want to loose their daughter next."

"Oh well can't say that I tried, my little cher."

"Are you still working for the Vermont's?"

"Yes I am. That's another reason why I came over, tonight will be my last night working for them and the Mayor and I want something very lovely to wear, do you have anything by any chance?"

"I sure do, wait right here."

Eliza went into her room to get the garment she had already made. Eliza loved making clothes but she didn't like doing it in a rush. The dress she pulled out was beautiful. It was made from a black velvet material that she cut into a shoulder strap, v neck dress that came to the knees. It had gold trimming around the collar, and gold trimming at the bottom of the dress.

She ran the dress back downstairs for Josephina to see. When she presented the dress to her, Josephina had a big smile on her face. To say she loved the dress was an understatement. "Oh thank you so much cher." She said hugging Eliza.

"Oh damn our visit have to be cut short my sweet little child until next time. You stay sweet as you are."

"I will Ms. Josephina"

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

As the day turned into night Eliza helped her grandmother and mother sew a quilt. While her father was out handling man business like he usually did. Stitch after stitch the quilt they were was slowly becoming a masterpiece. Her mother and grandmother were busy talking while the sun began to set.

They talked endlessly about the town peoples, the rumors that came along with those towns' people and Charles of course. They knew this new plan of his would get him killed if he didn't stop. They continue their sewing until it was the grandmother's bed time.

When her mother eventually got tired as well, she finished what she could and picked up the remains and put them away. She looked over at the grandfather clock to see it four thirty pm. Her father said he wouldn't be at home til seven so that means she could have an hour nap before super.

She laid her body on her comfy bed and went to her dreamland.

She was so caught up in her dreamland; she ignored the awful stench of something burning in the near distance.

"Eliza, Eliza wake up, honey please wake up." She heard mother frantic cries. She woke the instant she heard her mother's desperate pleading. "You gots to get out of here now."

"What?!? What's going on? What's happening?"

"They're here, they are trying to get your father out the house. I knew he was causing trouble around, I just knew all his preaching would turn out bad. Eliza get up and let's go."

Without a word Eliza jumped from her bed with her heart in her throat. She started to panic with so many thoughts running through her mind. Her mother grabbed her hand rushed her down the stairs. Once she came down the stairs her heart dropped from her throat to the pit of her stomach. In her yard was a burning cross. She stood frozen in place as reality hit her.

Her mother shook her out of her frozen palce "Eliza please they are going to kill your father and maybe us too please for the love of god head to the woods."

"Wait. What about grandma what happen to grandma?"

"She died from fear as soon as they came an burned that damn cross calling out Charles, she had a heart attack. Now please stop asking questions and go."

Martha continued to push her daughter to safety. "You will find safety in the woods, once you are safe go too your brothers and tell them I love them please Eliza. I love you."

"Huh? What about you why aren't you coming with me please mamma."

"Because I am an old half-breed woman that has nothing to offer the world besides cooking and cleaning, plus my mother is dead and my husbands going to die I have nothing else to live for."

"But." Eliza said protesting

"But nothing hurry leaves this house and leave this town there's nothing but hardship for you here. Now I am going stay here and be with my husband 'til death do us part', now please go." Her mother said with tears in her eyes.

"I love you mamma, tell daddy the same." With that she turned and headed out the back door. She wasn't outside for a good two minutes when she heard windows shattered and another stench of something burning. She wanted to turn back and get her mother, but even now, as grown woman she still obeyed her parents every wish.

She ran bare foot on the hard earth of the woods with no sense of direction. Twigs and rocks kept digging into her feet as she ran, her tears almost blinding her vision, but she didn't let that stop her, she continued to run.

When she stoped for few seconds to catch her breath, she could hear cheers of success and screams of pain. Ducking behind a large tree not to far from her house, she saw her father on the ground in a fetal position protecting himself as he was surrounded by six Klansmen beating him to within an inch of his life. She heard more screaming from her mother as she was being dragged out of the house by her hair, kicking and screaming One man grew tired of the screaming and slapped her into unconsciousness.

"Hey boys are you ready for some midnight sun." The only response he was got whooping and hollering from his fellow Klansmen. The speaker grabbed some long rope and started swinging it around while the others drank from a whiskey jug. It was then Eliza couldn't watch any more, she couldn't watch her parents get murdered. She turned around and ran again.

She had ran for a good a distance until she grew tired again and leaned up against a tree to catch her breath, and process everything that just happened. She sat there with so many thoughts running through her mind. She couldn't understand why this had to happen to her, why she couldn't be born a different person, why couldn't she do anything to stop those people.

She cried for what seemed like forever. She kept crying until there were no more tears to surface. She cried so hard the sound of someone approaching didn't come to her realization until that person grabbed her. She struggled for her freedom but whomever this was way to strong.

"Woo hoo calm down my sweet nappy haired cherry pie, don't struggle so much you are going to make me hurt you even more." Her nostrils smelled the familiar stench of bad whiskey breath. She only got up close and personal with somebody with whiskey breath once before and now that person was probably responsible for killing her parents.

Now not only was she in emotional pain, scared she had to face Jackson again.

When she tried to run away from him he just grabbed her like he did that day she got fired. His eyes were blood shot red, and his breath not only smelt of whiskey but smoke as well with his Klan robe on.