David & 'Lyssa

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

'Lyssa was a blur seen vaguely out of the corner of his eye as David opened fire with the.45. Not that David had any real hope of doing any significant damage to the huge dragon with his popgun. But he was not about to give up without a fight.

David fired at the throat, the underside of the dragon's jaw, and then held his ammunition to aim at the underbelly of the beast. David noticed something hanging down between the hind legs of the dragon as it reared up on its back legs. David never knew whether he consciously thought "Balls!" before he acted. He pumped out several rounds rapid fire into the dangling protrusion. Since he had happened to put the clip of G.I. surplus tracer ammunition in his .45, David could follow the path of his bullets as they hit the belly of the dragon, then struck whatever that was that was hanging down. Whatever it was that he hit, the results were gratifying. There was a shattering roar from overhead as the beast gave voice to its rage and pain.

Then there was nothing at all, no dragon overhead, and no dragon in the rear view mirror.

Nonetheless, David sped on as fast as he could and still retain control of the car. Ejecting the spent clip, David steered with the wrist of the hand holding the .45 as he snatched up one of his spare magazines from the holder on his harness and rammed it into the magazine well of the gun. David hit the slide release to chamber the next round and flicked on the safety. Starting to put the gun away, he looked over at 'Lyssa.

David froze, not letting go of his gun. The 'Lyssa sitting in the seat next to him was NOT the 'Lyssa he was used to.

This 'Lyssa was only vaguely humanoid. She was covered in coarse greenish-gray scales. He ears were pointed and lay close to her skull. The arms seemed to have too many joints and terminated in hands that bore long sharp talons at the fingertips. The legs were likewise multi-jointed and ended in feet that would seem more at home on that dragon that he had just passed. And the mouth was full of fangs and sharp pointy teeth. 'Lyssa grinned at David. (A truly chilling sight.) She was enjoying his reaction to her new appearance. Oh shit! Thought David. He measured the distance between them, estimating on whether he could get his gun around in time to stop those fangs and talons. 'Lyssa read his thoughts and laughed inwardly. There was a chance David might be able to get his gun turned, but it would end in a tie, and besides, 'Lyssa had no intention of harming David. At least, not just now. She needed him. 'Lyssa blurred in David's sight, and solidified into the 'Lyssa shape that David was used to. "Sorry about that" Said 'Lyssa. "When he appeared, I reacted instinctively, shifting to my battle form." "OK, Who the hell WAS that?" Demanded David. "You recognized him. I can sense that much of your thoughts already. And you DO need me, at least for the moment. So spill it." 'Lyssa frowned a bit. She was not used to being spoken to like that in her realm. But the fact that David could apparently read her thoughts to some degree disturbed her. Best to go slow until she knew more. "That was one of the mid-level bosses here. I am not sure exactly which one." said 'Lyssa after a moment. "Will he be back?" asked David. "Not likely." replied 'Lyssa with a grin. "I think you spoiled his whole day with those last few shots." David looked at 'Lyssa for a long moment. 'Lyssa knew that David figured that she was not telling him everything. "What now?" Asked David. "I don't know." was the reply. 3 'Lyssa was thinking hard and fast. Her powers were back as far as she could tell. She had been able to cast a fast spell on the bullets in David's gun so that they would be able to penetrate the scales of the dragon form. The shots to the gonads however had been a stroke of genius that was all David's doing. 'Lyssa took a small mirror out of the glove box and used it to do a minor spell to let her scry into David1s realm. This enabled her to see what was in the corresponding space in David's realm that the car occupied in her realm.

As the car moved, so did the images in the mirror. 'Lyssa gave David directions until the Caddy was on what would me the highway in David's realm. Then she simply opened a gate into David's realm, sealing it behind them as soon as the car had passed through. David blinked to find himself back on the highway, a few miles from where he had left it.

David slowed the car down to a saner 65 mph.

'Lyssa was back in fully human form. But David remembered all too vividly the "battle form" that 'Lyssa had been during the dragon encounter.

David shielded his thoughts as best he could. He had friends in Deming.

If he was going up against Dragons and Demons, he wanted more firepower and better protection than a measly .45 and a fighting knife. David was silent the rest of the way to Deming. He carefully kept his mind on other things rather than on what he wanted to do. David had always been good at multi-tasking. He had once been told that he could follow up to 4 threads of thought at the same time. This was handy in business and in combat. It was even more useful here where he needed to keep a telepath from knowing his plans too early. David grinned to himself, sometimes reading that "nonsense", as his parents had called it, came in very handy indeed.

'Lyssa saw the pleased grin on David's face and wondered uneasily what he was so pleased with himself about. Surprisingly, 'Lyssa found that she could not read his thoughts clearly, even when she tried to go deeper than the usual scan of the surface thoughts that usually sufficed.

Neither of them knew it. But the sojourn into 'Lyssa's realm had changed them both far more than they could imagine.

Pulling into Deming, David headed towards his friends place on the North side of town. Pulling into his friend's driveway, David sat still in the car, making no move to exit the Caddy until the door to the house opened and his friend came out and recognized him. David's buddy Mike was a good friend, just a bit paranoid.

Of course that same paranoia was what drove Mike to collect a wide variety of weapons and armor and other useful gadgets. Warning 'Lyssa to behave and not ask any questions, David opened the door of the caddy and stepped out. "Hi Mike!" "Hi Dave. What brings ya to this neck of the woods?" "Need a favor Mike. Things are getting tight just like the old days." "Come on in. Umm, is the lady cool?" David knew that Mike was asking if 'Lyssa was an immediate danger. If he gave an answer that indicated that 'Lyssa posed any kind of threat, there would very likely be a very noisy and lethal reaction from Mike. "She's fine." David said. Which told Mike that she was not trouble, but not to be too open in front of her.

David beckoned 'Lyssa to join them. 'Lyssa stepped out of the car looking cute and sassy. Mike's eyes narrowed a touch. He sensed a bit of tension between his friend and this skirt. But as long as David did not give a high sign, he would just wait and watch. "Mike, this is 'Lyssa. 'Lyssa, this is my best friend Mike. "The man who taught me to survive in a war zone." "Pleased to meet you Miss." Said Mike. "Same here." Replied 'Lyssa. "You sit here in the shade on the porch, and I'll get you something to drink."

David and Mike went inside as 'Lyssa sat on the porch swing. A few moments later, Mike brought out a pitcher of ice tea and sat it on the table next to the swing along with a tall glass full of ice cubes. "Help yourself 'Lyssa." said Mike. 'Lyssa poured herself a drink. Mike nodded and went back inside.

After about 20 minutes, Mike and David came back outside carrying several cloth wrapped bundles and placed them in the Caddy's back seat. The men went back inside for another load, then went up and sat down on the porch with 'Lyssa. The three chatted about minor things until it was time to go. Mike shook David's hand, but avoided contact with 'Lyssa without being obvious about it.

"One more stop to make before we go too far, then we are off for home." said David. Back on the interstate once again, the trip to Lordsburg was uneventful. Exiting the interstate, David drove to a shack on the outskirts of town. "Here is $50.00. GO across the street to the cafe and get us some food to go. You pick."

David handed the cash to 'Lyssa and watched her walk off. David turned and went into the shack without knocking. Once inside, David faced another old friend. Randy was an Apache about 90 years old. He was the finest silversmith that David had ever seen. "You have the bullets prepared the way we discussed on the phone?" Asked David. "Right here." Replied Randy. "You be careful. I don't know what you have gotten yourself into, but no one wants silver bullets blessed in the sunlight and the moonlight without being in some serious shit." "No worries." Smiled David. "I thank you for your work and your blessings." He paid the old Apache and went back to the car to find 'Lyssa waiting for him with the food. "We'll eat as we go." Said David. He started the car and headed back out on the interstate again. David felt much more secure now that he had a few surprises for any more un-friendlies.

He shouldn't have been so cocky.

David started out on 1-10 again heading toward Tucson. There was a rest area up ahead and he planned to stop there to prepare his arsenal.

'Lyssa could sense an aura of power coming from David when he got back in the car. But she couldn't tell exactly what the power was. This disturbed her greatly. 'Lyssa decided that maybe showing her battle form to David was a very serious mistake. Now David was on his guard against HER, and she needed him on guard against the threats that she could sense all around. David for his part was mildly regretting taking 'Lyssa under his protection. But he had been raised to value honor above all else, as outmoded as most people seemed to think of that attitude these days. So he would stick with 'Lyssa and protect her to be best of his ability, at least, unless or until 'Lyssa turned against him and attacked him or tired to act against him.

Nothing happened as David cruised up to the rest stop just shy of the Arizona border. The rest area was pretty much deserted this early in the evening. Most of the travelers on the interstate preferred to travel during the cool of the evening. David parked not too far from the restrooms. "Last chance to hit the can if you need to go." Said David. "I don't want to risk stopping again until I get us to my place." 'Lyssa said, "I would really like an escort to the restroom. I really don't want to be separated from you any more than I need to be." David gave her a look, then got out of the car and walked with her to the restroom.

David waited outside the door as 'Lyssa went in. Once alone, David took the silver bullets that his old Apache friend has given him and loaded a clip from his .45 with them after taking out the regular bullets. Chambering a round, David felt a little safer. Provided old Randy knew what he was doing, these rounds aught to raise merry hell with anyone from 'Lyssa's realm.

'Lyssa was feeling a bit queasy. This was, to say the least, highly unusual for her. 'Lyssa had not felt like this since early in her first century. 'Lyssa tried to adjust her form to compensate for the discomfort. To her horror, 'Lyssa was unable to change a thing. None of her powers were working. She sat on the toilet to think. Without realizing what she was doing, she stood up and shoved her pants down to her knees and sat back down on the John

She had already pissed and shit before she realized what was happening to her. 'Lyssa felt like an observer in her own body, stunned as she wiped herself and pulled up her pants and fastened them. Then she was back in control of herself. Shaking, 'Lyssa stood at the sink staring at her reflection in the mirror. Blue eyes stared out of a cute face framed by strawberry blonde hair. 'Lyssa drew the blade that David had given her and made a small cut in her arm. Red blood welled in the cut and 'Lyssa almost fainted. She managed to sheath the blade before she staggered to the door.

David saw the look on 'Lyssa's face and caught her as she collapsed. Seeing the blood, and her reaction, David assumed that an attack was underway. He took 'Lyssa over his shoulder in a fireman's carry and drew his .45.

Back at the car, 'Lyssa woke up from her faint. Fainting! Her, fainting like a human girl! 'Lyssa was disgusted with herself.

In response to his urgent questioning, 'Lyssa spilled out the explanation of why she had blood on her arm, and why she was so upset. However the reaction from David was not the one she had expected. He leaned against the car, roaring with laughter. 'Lyssa did a slow burn, how dare he take her so lightly! Then she started to see his point of view. 'Lyssa got out of the car again and went to sit on a boulder a few feet from the car.

David started setting up his toys. A Barret Model 82 Rifle. .50 BMG caliber. 11 shots. Semi-auto. Loaded and ready. Ingram M11 Cobray .45 Submachine gun, Loaded. 6 White Phosphorus grenades. David figured that the heat from the Willie Pete Incendiary grenades would put the hurtin' on any uglies that dropped by. And a variety of other lethal and nasty hardware. David shrugged out of his shoulder holster and took off his shirt. Picking up a Second Chance Ballistic vest, David strapped it on. Then he put his shirt and holster back on. Now that felt better.

'Lyssa watched the preparations with mixed feelings. Yes, it was nice to see all the hardware. But she had to wonder how much of that would be directed her way if David perceived her as a threat. And right now, she was far more vulnerable than he was. She had never felt so defenseless and powerless.

David called 'Lyssa back to the car. He was getting that hinky feeling again. 'Lyssa was also getting that feeling of imminent doom. David did not relax until they were back speeding down the road. Just a few more hours is what David thought.

Thanks to Mike's paranoia, there were 2 pack in the back seat complete with water, MRE's, folding shovels, tarps rope etc. David was about to be profoundly grateful for his friend's foresight.

This time, there was no flash of light. There was just a minor bump as the car transitioned from paved road to rutted dirt path.

65 miles per hour was much too fast for this place, so David hit the brakes gently, not wanting to lose control. Flicking on his headlights, David saw figures scrambling out of the way of the car. Glancing at 'Lyssa, David saw her still in her human form.

'Lyssa was trying frantically to shift her form again. No joy. She was stuck like this for now. But some of her other powers were working again. 'Lyssa cast a quick spell on the car to shield it from outside magic. Of course, it would not stop anything truly powerful, but it would at least deflect enough so that the occupants should survive. And it would warn her of anything lesser.

"This is not an area I am familiar with." Said 'Lyssa. "But I know generally where we are at." "How much trouble are we in?" "More than I want to think about. I can't open a gate to get us back home. I tried." "Shit! Any ideas on what we are going to run in to?" "Well, remember that dragon form we ran under earlier?" "Yeah?" "Some of what lives around here are much worse."

Reaching into the back seat, David picked out a Ruger .357 Magnum in a gun belt that also held several speed loaders. The pistol was already loaded. "You know how to use this thing?" "I think so." "Point it at the bad guys and keep pulling the trigger until it quits going boom. " David showed 'Lyssa where the cylinder catch was and showed her how to swing out the cylinder for loading. 'Lyssa caught on right away, and strapped the gun belt on. David propped the Barret on the seat between them, and put the satchel of white phosphorus grenades on the seat close at hand.

There were black scraggly looking trees showing bare branches against a charcoal gray sky. There was no moon, nor were any stars visible. There was a reddish glow off on the horizon. David was just as glad that they were not heading that way. "If we can get back to the plains, we stand a better chance of getting back to your realm." "Any other routes? Just in case we can't get back to the plains?" "There is a route through the mountains, but it is very dangerous. And even if we can make it through, the gate there can only take us through to your world somewhere I can't control."

About that time, David hit the brakes hard. The Caddy skidded to a stop just shy of a cliff that stretched across where the road should have been. Twin stone pillars stood at the lip of the chasm, showing where the bridge had once stood. "This is as far as we go in this direction. Can we go back the other way?" "NO!! Not even if I was at my full power would I go that way. Neither of us would live a moment if THEY noticed us and decided to sport with us." 'Lyssa was openly terrified of going back, and David could clearly see that. "OK, we abandon the Caddy here. You are the guide from here on."

David and 'Lyssa exited the comforting confines of the car. Both shrugged into the backpacks. David slung the rifle over his shoulder and strapped the satchel of grenades to his waist. 'Lyssa had her revolver and a slightly smaller pack. The sneakers that David had bought her what seemed like eons ago were well suited for hiking. And the jeans and t-shirt provided good freedom of movement. But 'Lyssa still felt naked without her battle form or any of her other forms. Anything but this human shape.

David settled a set of night vision goggles on his forehead where he could drop them over his eyes with a toss of his head. After a bit of thought. David took an H&K MP5K and a pouch of loaded magazines and handed them to 'Lyssa. "This will help. Here is the safety. Push it off with your thumb and press the trigger. A red dot will show you the point of aim up to 40 yards. Here is the magazine release. Push it when you need to change magazines." David cocked the subgun and 'Lyssa put the strap of the sling over her head like David showed her. She cast a spell of enhanced vision on herself so that she could see around her as if it was brightest day.

Already the lesser creatures of the area were returning. It was time to go.

David reached into the car and started the engine. He leaned further in and pushed the shifter into drive, then jerked back as the car started rolling toward the cliff edge.

"Why?" Asked 'Lyssa. "I figure that I don't want to leave it behind intact for someone to use against us somehow." David watched impassively as his beloved El Dorado reached the brink and disappeared over the edge. There was a series of crunching noises as the Caddy tumbled down into the depths of the gorge. Then a final crash as it hit bottom, a long long way down.

David turned to 'Lyssa and motioned for her to take the lead. He reasoned that she at least had some idea of where to go. And after what he had seen the last time that they had visited this realm, he wanted her in front of him where he could see her at all times.

David was soon feeling back in his element. He had been a Marine, and then he had done some mercenary work in Central America and in Africa. David tossed his head to flip the night vision goggles down for a moment, he wanted to conserve the battery, he had only one charged spare, and no way to recharge them.

There was a brief stutter from up front as one of the creatures edged a little too close and 'Lyssa gave it a brief burst. David grudgingly admired the way she had cut the burst of fire short. Most newbies sprayed off a whole magazine before learning how to control the length of the burst.

In any case, the creature thrashed on the ground for a second, then was still. David glanced at it as he passed, and was glad that he could not see it any clearer than that. It was enough to turn his stomach as it was. It looked something like a cross between a hairless rat and a small tyrannosaur. Too many teeth and a coating of slime completed the glimpse that David had of the critter. If he had seen what stopped to devour the creature after he had passed, he probably would have filled his drawers.