Deadly Sins Ch. 05: Lust

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I think it is truly a feat you've managed to live as long as you have, much less become an elder," Cael remarked idly, shaking his head. "And I don't think I'll ever understand how you managed to pull that off as the term signifies intelligence." He moved away from the wall, placing himself in a better vantage point in case he needed to interject in the bloodbath which was sure to erupt at any moment. "Which I am now sure you don't possess."

Wolf rearing at the prospect to let loose its aggravation, Thane kept his attention firmly trained on Alaric. "Think you can do better than me at running this pack? If so, I am more than happy to accept your challenge." His words were soft, calm. Only a fool wouldn't have been able to see they were a deceptive cover for what he was truly feeling. "And that was a challenge for my position, was it not?"

Visibly paling with the dawning comprehension he was about to be faced with a fight he had no hopes of ever winning, the other man stuttered, "T-t-that's n-not what I meant, my lord."

"He does have a brain," Cael interjected with mock awe. "The wisest man in Oz."

With a wave of his hand, Thane silenced his Beta. "Second time tonight you've questioned my hearing, Alaric." Taking lethal, measured steps, he advanced until he stood on the area rug directly in front of the man. "And I can assure you not only have I heard every word which has left your mouth this evening, I have understood each one as well."

Slowly, cautiously, with eyes downcast, Alaric lifted his chin, baring pale, veined, jiggling jowls. An act of submission. Although the man had most of the annoying tendencies of a yappy Pomeranian, at least he demurred to his wolf's instincts in this matter.

Breathing deeply, Thane let the male remain in the position for several long moments. Wisely, Alaric chose to keep his mouth shut, not making the mistake of putting his atonement into words any further...else, atonement or not, Thane might not have been able to calm enough to accept the elder's silent reaffirmation he accepted him as his Alpha. Although acute disgust for the man would prevent Thane from ever ripping the elder's throat wide open, he wasn't opposed to slamming a fist into his windpipe.

End result would be the same. And that was all Thane cared about.

"As I was stating before our tangent, I am already aware of the situation with the Harvey pack," Thane snarled, stalking to his desk where he slammed his glass in an exchange for the bottle itself. Back to his guests, he took his second shot directly from the source. Along with the third. And the fourth.

It was useless.

As if the problem of Rayn wasn't bad enough, to learn a group of five or so pups from the Harvey pack had decided to model themselves after the Kensingtons was the final destructive blow to a slice of serenity which had been nearly non-existent to begin with. Vigilantes is what Cael had informed him just within the past hour the little assholes were calling themselves.

The Harvey Beta had called to warn the group had already been responsible for the death of one of their own, a Harvey wolf suspected to have gone rogue that very evening, hunting and goring a human couple in their neighboring West Virginia. There had been no firm evidence of the wolf's wrongdoing, no proof; only the pups suspicions. And instead of bringing their concerns to their Alpha, they had decided to take care of the problem themselves.

Which hinted one of the moronic shits was calling big time shots, acting as Alpha of the little group.

And, oh joy, now they were on their way to Ohio to beg an audience directly with their hero, the Alpha of Kensington. They wanted to boast of their actions to the male mother werewolves across the globe made up bedtime stories about. And to pledge their allegiance to do their part in the never ending battle against evil.

Great. Just fucking great. Exactly the stress Thane needed. To deal with pups who were reckless and had flagrantly disregarded their pack's protocol. Like he didn't have enough to contend with as it was. Little idiots were playing with shit they didn't have the foggiest idea about and they would soon be renaming themselves Victims once shit went wrong.

And wrong was the way this whole situation was bound to go. The circumstances were just too right for it not to.

If, along their way to Kensington Estates, the unenlightened pups decided to play superhero again and tried to dispatch of the wrong entity, one of two things was going to happen. Either they were going to mistakenly kill an innocent. Or they were going to be brutally murdered in their attempt to kill a true evil.

And if they came across and caused harm to Rayn, their fate was signed, sealed and just waiting to be delivered to the Alpha of Harvey.

Every thought always had to return to her, didn't it. Every concern. Every consideration. Every emotion. Every every-fucking-thing. The side effects of being bonded were really starting to become a pain in his ass. More so than Alaric even, and that was saying a lot.

And it blatantly violated the foremost rule an Alpha was forced to abide by. The wellbeing of one never took precedence over the wellbeing of the multitude.

Thane took another long swig of the liquor, finishing it off.

"My lord, if you already knew of this problem, then why didn't you disclose the information to us?" asked Nicholai, who shared not only the space on the couch beside Alaric, but traditionally also the other elder's inclination to question Thane on matters which were none of his concern, albeit a bit more tactfully.

But tact be damned at the moment. Thane wanted to hurl the empty vodka bottle at the male's forehead. And hopefully get a two-for-one if it rebounded onto Alaric's.

Instead of playing whack-a-elder, he tossed the bottle in a trash receptacle. Rolled his shoulders. Cracked his knuckles. Faced his audience. Then leaned a hip against the desk.

"Because-" To emphasize the importance of the next words which would leave his mouth, Thane locked eyes with each of the elders. He started with Nicholai then moved on to Alaric and Natasha before concluding with Amina, who was the only one to give him a small smile of encouragement. "-I didn't have to. Your place as elders is to educate and enlighten members of this community in our ways, our missions, our curse. Not to be fucking involved in any issues which transcends Kensington. Dealing with other packs is firmly in the realm of my duties as Alpha. Got it?"

Nicholai nodded his head thoughtfully. "Understood, my lord. And, as I've expressed before, if that is truly your will, then I have no choice but to accept it. However, I would like to point out in the past-"

"And as I've established long ago, Nicholai, we are no longer in the past anymore, are we?"

Mouth tightening into a thin slash, he agreed, "No, my lord, it appears that we are not."

Smiling grimly, Thane offered, "Glad we were able to reach that understanding. Again. Let's all try to all remember it this time so we don't have to revisit this subject anytime soon."

Since becoming Alpha of Kensington, there had been a shit load of changes initiated by Thane. Of them all, enforcing the boundaries of the roles of the elders had been the biggest. And the most difficult. The only one to nearly give him gray hairs when he'd acceded at the tender age of twenty-six. The preceding Alpha, a weaker minded Alpha, had given the elders too much power, relied on them for advice in issues which were out of the elder's range of authority.

How to handle problems within the pack...elder territory. How to handle problems outside the pack...not a Lucifer's chance in hell at redemption.

After all the adjustments had been orchestrated, the elders had been left with limited power to be used solely for the negotiating of disputes within the pack. Their new, lower status granted them only a fraction of the power they'd enjoyed before, but it was all they would get. End of story.

Because being given too much power brought out the worse in any wolf not a born Alpha. Inherently, werewolves not born in wolf form couldn't handle supremacy over others for any extended length of time without abusing their leverage in some form or manner. It's just the way it was. The way it always had been.

Just look at Saddam Hussein. Perfect fucking example of a non-Alpha in a position of leadership.

As far as Thane knew, none of the elders of Kensington were born Alphas. They'd all been birthed as humans, same as Saddam. Therefore, it had been more of a necessity rather than a choice which had forced him to wrench their power from them, relegating them back to the positions of teachers and educators of the mass, despite their vehement protest to the otherwise.

Thane had taken their power and made a return to the ways of old, the ways the prior Alpha should never have deviated from. He'd taken the elder's power and bequeathed it to his brothers, his tight knit group of handpicked advisors. Who were all born Alphas, but possessing of no interest in leading packs of their own.

Only another born Alpha possessed the knowledge essential for making decisions which would be for the right of the pack as a whole; it was ingrained in them from birth, honed with time. And only should another born Alpha be allowed to share their thoughts and opinions at the ruling Alpha's request, to influence the Alpha's decisions.

And if any of his advisors weren't in agreement with him, they were each allowed the right to challenge him for his position.

It was all a huge checks and balance system. His advisors were his friends, brothers. And it was this brotherhood which prevented strife from festering within their ranks, allowing them all to remain clear and levelheaded. The only time they would ever challenge him for his position of power was when circumstances dictated it could absolutely, positively be no other way.

Although Thane's position remained uncontested by his brothers, it was not uncontested by all. As the system only applied to his advisors, it didn't stop born Alphas from other packs from challenging him. Nor did it stop born Alphas within his own pack who weren't a part of the brotherhood from issuing a challenge.

His strength of mind and raw physical power prevented those problems from cropping up too often.

In the eight years since his triumph over the previous Alpha, Thane had managed to do what most considered impossible. He'd restored order to a pack roiling with tension. A pack eventually headed towards self-destruction.

A pack whose very existence was crucial to the survival of the world.

And he sure as hell wasn't about to start backsliding now.

"Meeting's adjourned." Striding to the door, Thane swung it wide. "Out."

The office emptied of elders, save Amina. Gazing up at him with concern blazing bright, she said, "The matter of the pups must be handled with care, liege. Else we will find ourselves at war with the Harvey pack."

Thane gave a curt nod of acknowledgement. "The other matter?"

"I've spent the day with Natasha combing through the compendium of our history. I've gone back three centuries." Her expression was grim.

"Nothing," he hazarded.

"Nothing positive," she confirmed wearily. She reached out a hand, stroked his cheek. "Want my advice, Thane? She's your mate. Quit fighting against that fact and embrace her." Her words were tender. Maternal. "Because this is the only opportunity you and your wolf will ever have to be happy, truly happy. Even if only for a few days. I suggest you forget everything for the time being, lock yourself away with her and make every moment you two share count."

Relief flooded his wolf now that the human half was finally given the green light to accept the inevitable. Rayn was his mate. His to take. His to mark. His to care for. His to love.

And his responsibility to kill when the time came.

"As always, you're right, elder. I defer to your knowledge in this matter." Thane covered her hand with his own, then gave it a soft squeeze. "But I want to do this the right way, Amina. This will be the only time I'll ever take a mate, so I want to keep with tradition. I want a ceremony."

"It'll be my pleasure to arrange it, my lord. And the timing couldn't be better. The full moon will bless the night skies tomorrow. This will be an event to rival the one I've planned in my head for years for you and Katya." Her smile was sorrowful. For she knew not long after organizing the jubilant event, she would then be responsible for planning a joyless one.

Amina departed, leaving Thane alone with Cael. His Beta edged closer, watching him concernedly, frowning. "T, somehow we'll find a way to make this work."

"Get your head out of your ass, I've already removed mine. There is no other way." Thane faced Cael and placed a hand on the male's shoulder. He stared into his eyes. "You know what you have to do. Don't fail me, brother."

Thane turned away, heading back to his desk. And ignored the agony on his brother's face left in the wake of his fatalistic words.

*****

She awoke yet again to the pitch black.

Pushing through her pain, Adriana eased out of bed and slowly made her way to the chair. Picking up her purse, she searched through it, searching for her phone...only to discover it was missing.

Fuck! she thought frantically. Now what?

Find a way out, that's what. With that intent heavy in her mind, Adriana slowly continued on her way pass the chair down the wall of her room. Her short term goal was to hopefully find an in suite bathroom without toppling over and causing more damage to her person. Her long term goal was to stay mobile long enough to then scope out all the doors and windows of her room to see if escape through one was a viable option. And her all consuming goal was to accomplish everything before one of the werewolves reappeared to stop her.

Halfway to her short term goal, her all consuming goal was thwarted. The main entry to her room opened, allowing weak light from the corridor beyond to spill into the dark interior and to silhouette the huge male form stationed in the doorway, face cast in shadows.

Adriana's breath hitched in her throat. There was no need to see a face to know her visitor's identity. The towering height, vast shoulders spanning frame to frame and imposing presence were all the indicators she needed.

Mesmerized, she watched until Cael closed the door behind him, cutting off the sole source of illumination. Then she relied on her ears to give the details of his slow journey to the bed. He was light on his feet, his gait quiet, as though he didn't wish to disturb any sleeping occupants.

Well, well, well, aren't you about to receive an unexpected surprise.

The discovery of her absence was signaled with a low, growled, "Where the-"

"Here." Adriana hobbled away from the wall.

She knew she could've attempted to remain hidden. But it would've been no more than an attempt, never a success. No matter the effort put into blending in with the drywall, there was just no way she could ever convince herself Cael wouldn't have found her immediately. And, at least by revealing herself to him rather than having him find her, she had the upper hand.

"Jesus, luv," he asked gently, "why are you up?" With that, he was at her side, sweeping her feet off the floor right along with that upper hand she'd been so proud of. He gathered her to his chest, his powerful arms lending the strength her battered body lacked.

This has to be a dream. Cael was intimidating, unnerving. Not tender. But his gentle hold and the soft kiss pressed to her forehead as he tucked her close contradicted all earlier assessments of his character.

Dazed, she whispered, "I am really losing it."

"Losing what?" She felt the question rumble through his chest against her cheek, more than actually heard it.

Her mind. Her sanity. Nobody had treated her with such kindness since Marcus during her childhood, before she'd become privy to his true nature.

And wasn't Marcus a good of a reminder as any as to what nastiness could be shrouded by an attractive exterior. As was she herself. The Lady of Wrath. So she'd better not allow herself to get caught up in this romance novel moment and forget Cael was a killer.

Which wasn't really all that bad in and of itself...it was his dedication to the eradication of her kind which gave pause for concern.

Placing the hand not smashed between their bodies flat on his chest, she pushed away. "My bladder if I don't relieve myself. Soon."

He hugged her tighter, bringing her cheek flush with his muscular chest again. "Then by all means I must assist you with getting to the bathroom. Cute as you are, waterworks just ain't my thing."

Supporting her as though she weighed no more than a doll, he took several long strides then stopped. He stood her on her feet, back pressed to a solid surface containing a small fixture which jutted uncomfortably into her lower back. He leaned close, enclosing her between two forearms she knew rippled with ropy muscles.

"Don't take too long," he murmured, nuzzling his cheek against hers. Each word was a soft, tingling gust of warm air against her neck. "Else I'll be forced to come in there after you."

Adriana ducked under one of the tree trunks, nervously grabbing the door handle which had been digging into her back. She kept her flaming face lowered, aware that, unlike her, Cael could see in the dark.

And if his wolf was anywhere near the surface right now, not only would he have a front row view of her heightened color, he would be able to feel it as well.

Once inside the safe confines of the bathroom, door shut and locked, she flipped the light switch. Only to be confronted by the reflection of her grossly discolored face in the mirror above the vanity. Lightly, Adriana traced the purplish half moon bruise under her right eye while staring at its twin under her left. Rage filled her at the throbbing brought on by the miniscule amount of pressure. She was going to kick Marcus's-

"What's wrong?" The handle rattled as Cael tried to open the door. "You need some help in there?" The rattling became more earnest, punctuated by loud knocks. "Hey, can you hear me?"

Holy hell...had she, shit, had she unwittingly projected some type of vibe or something? That he picked up on? She couldn't have, she thought wildly, gripping the counter hard, she wasn't twenty-five yet. She could only access minute amounts of her power...and only when she put forth a conscious effort to do so.

"If you need help, open the door so I can tend to you." Cael's voice carried easily through the thick wood.

But Adriana didn't answer, her mind still whirring with a magnitude of frightening possibilities. He must've heard her gasp unintentionally, she finally decided. Yeah, that was it.

And it was just as she reached that comforting conclusion she heard him say, "If you can, try to move away from the door, luv. I don't want to hurt you."

Puzzled, Adriana tried to figure out...oh, no, he was going to burst through the door. Knowing he was more than capable of reducing the wood into millions of toothpicks if she didn't provide a placating answer, and get her emotions under wraps, Adriana took a deep, calming breath. She released her death grip on the counter. "If you don't mind, I would greatly appreciate it if you stopped trying to get in here with me. And your supersonic hearing needs to take five steps back."

A long silence ensued. Adriana held her breath, hoping he wouldn't argue. She released it only upon his response of, "I'll be waiting by the bed if you need me."