Defiance Ch. 15

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Tate released a choked cry and pressed his hands firmly against his mouth. He felt tears stream down his cheeks as he pressed his back against a cold stone wall. He felt himself slide down the wall, crumpling into a heap at the bottom. "I made him this way." He gasped between his hands.

Time passed, enough for him to notice that his skin had become chilled as he lay against the ice stone floor. His head pounded and his eyes stung from fallen tears but he knew he couldn't delay any longer. Christian would likely have already noticed his absence and Tate didn't want Rose left alone with the deranged prince.

He picked himself up and ran his hands irritably against his eyes. He tried the bottom door and found it locked. He banged it twice and after a short moment it was pulled open. The scarred tinker gave Tate a thoughtful look but thankfully stepped aside without comment. Tate ducked his head and hurried past him as he made his way towards the prince's chambers.

"Ah, here you are." A sly voice declared as a solid figure fell into step besides Tate. A tight hand griped the Halfling's upper arm and pulled him close. "The prince has been looking for you, bastard." Tate couldn't muster the energy to so much as sneer as the tracker marched him steadily back to the princes rooms, however this hardly fazed the wolf from reacting to him. "I brought a present for you. I've left it with the prince. He's playing with it now."

"What have you done?" Tate finally responded as he remembered the prophets warning that Christian planned to hurt him that night.

"That would ruin the surprise." Tate spared the tracker a brief glance and received the familiar wolf like grin. "Just wait and see."

***

He drew back his foot as he prepared to kick the wretch when a guard opened his door to announce the tracker and Tate.

They entered the room together, though Tate kept a weary distance between them as soon as the tracker released the tight hold on the smaller man's arm. The half-blood looked confused when he saw the tinker. Clearly he couldn't see the creatures face. "My prince?" He said questioningly, looking directly at Christian with reddened eyes.

The gypsies head shot up at the sound of the Halflings voice. Their eyes met and Tate gasped as both of hands rose to cover his mouth. He shook his head in denial as he stumbled back.

Christian felt sudden and searing jealousy at the dismay he saw in his beloveds face. The tinker, the dirty, filthy unworthy beast did not deserve Tate's love.

Christian grabbed the small man by his arm and dragged him towards his diseased gypsy lover. The Halfling tried to resist but he was pathetically weak in Christian grasp. The small mans legs kicked out in an attempt to find purchase. He stumbled once and lost his footing. Christian did not stop to wait for him.

He caught the nape of Tate's neck and forced his head down until it was on a level with the tinkers. Instead of the adoration he expected to see in the gypsies eyes he saw only loathing. The older man actually tried to lash out at Tate and Christian was forced to haul his beloved back to avoid him being harmed.

"This is your fault!" The tinker screamed, not at Christian but at Tate. "You did this, you and your lies. I knew, I always knew!"

Tate shook his head wordlessly as he struggled in Christian's arms. "What is he doing here?" he whispered as he turned to look up at the prince.

"I had him bought here of course." Christian answered, allowing the venom he could feel to be heard. "I thought I would reunite you. You have been parted so long."

Christian could not quite contain his shock as Tate fell heavily to his knees before him and grabbed the prince's trouser legs. "Please Christian, do not do this. This man has done nothing to you. He is innocent!"

It took a moment for Christian to overcome his shock before he lashed out and struck Tate a stunning blow. "Innocent?" He roared, bending down to his knees as he gripped the Halfling's hair and shook him violently. "None of them are innocent. They are parasites, one and all. None of them deserve to live." He gestured to the tinker with obvious disgust. "Least of all this disgusting piece of shit that YOU allowed to touch you." He gave one last shake before he rose to his feet and pulled out his dagger. He gestured to Richard and the Tracker, who pulled the battered tinker into a standing position between them.

"Christian, I'm begging you." Tate got slowly to his feet and had his arms risen in appeasement. "Please, if you care for me at all you will not hurt him."

"I do care for you Tate." Christian said as he allowed his eyes to glide over Tate's beautiful and stricken form. "And it's because I care for you that I am going to remove this piece of filth from our lives." He looked at the tinkers bowed form and spat at him. "He will no longer be capable to come between us. I will live; we will live together for always."

He noticed then the way the tinker was looking at Tate and felt a deep sense of hatred that the creature had dared to touch what was his.

"Christian, please!"

The screamed cry registered at the same moment Christian forced his dagger into the Tinker's heaving chest. The piece of filth gave one last shuddering breath before the light faded from his eyes and he finally, finally died.

****

Tate felt strangely numb as he watched Robert's lifeblood spill out over Christian's fine marble floor. The tinker's violent death was clear in his expression. There was no peace there, only anger and betrayal.

Tate lent down beside Robert and gently closed his unseeing eyes. He smoothed the tinkers sweat drenched hair and offered up a silent prayer up to the gods to ease the gypsies passing.

The blade Christian has used to slay Robert still lay within the thick pool of the tinker's blood. Tate reached for it unthinkingly as he straightened to his feet. He started towards Christian, raising the blade as the princes eyes widened in sudden understanding. He opened his mouth to call out a warning even as Tate thrust the blade towards the princes black heart.

It never struck. The tracker parried the blow and stepped protectively in front of Christian. Their eyes met for a moment before Tate abruptly threw the blade away in disgust. He stepped past the tracker and the shocked prince and made his way to the door.

"Where are you going?" Christian asked in a small and unrecognisable voice.

"To collect Rose. I won't allow her to see this."

Tate hurried to the kitchens, barely aware of the glances he was receiving from the men and women that cluttered the hallways. He had only one thought in his mind and that was to prevent Rose from seeing her brother's dead body. She had already been through so much, far more than any child should endure.

It's because of you, a softly insistent voice whispered in his mind. Your fault your family now live in disgrace, your fault the gypsies were killed and enslaved, your fault that Rose is scarred, that Robert is dead, that Lukas has sacrificed everything. It is your fault that Christian is insane.

Tate found her washing dishes in her usual spot. He noticed the kitchen master watching him intently as he went to collect the little girl.

"Tate!" She said excitedly before seemingly realising where she was standing. She dipped her head but continued to smile at him. "Are you here to collect the prince's supper?" Her eyes suddenly flickered to his wrist and widened in horror. "Tate, your hand. Are you hurt?"

The halfling looked at his hand and saw that it was covered with Robert's blood. He very slowly allowed a shudder to run through him before he plunged his hand in Roses steaming bowl. The water was almost unbearably warm and Tate wondered how the little ones tender hands could bear such heat. He snatched her up suddenly, pressing her head against his chest as he swept her away from the wretched place. No one tried to stop them, after Tate's last visit they probably didn't dare.

"Tate?" Rose's voice was smothered as she pressed her face firmly against his chest. "Are you well?"

"I'm fine." He said, aware that his lie did not sound terribly convincing. "I thought you might like to spend some time in the gardens with me."

"Wont the prince miss you?" She whispered.

"Not for a while. We can go to the library if you don't want to visit the gardens. I could read to you?"

"I've never been to the library." The little one said excitedly.

"It will certainly be warmer there." Tate said absently.

They walked the rest of the way there in silence and Tate found a familiar corner of the library where he settled down in a comfortable chair. Rose settled on his lap and stared in amazement at the books stacked high in every direction. They were silent for a time before Tate spotted a harmless book of maps and pulled it down for Rose to inspect.

"Are there any story books?" She asked.

"No, my father's people do not read for pleasure." He smiled and pulled her into a tight hug. "They think such pastimes are frivolous."

"My ma told the best stories." Rose said wistfully. "Lukas was always really good too." She dipped her voice low. "When he's saved us I'll ask him to tell you the tale of the Otter and the sea serpent."

Tate pressed his head back against the chair and released a deep breath. "I have a story." He sighed. "It's about dragons. Would you like to hear it?"

***

It didn't take long to find the halfling. His presence was so well know within the castle that every servant recognised the man on sight. Richard spotted him in the library, curled up on a huge armchair with the little tinker brat asleep on his lap.

The man's golden eyes glowed eerily in the dimly lit library. He looked dispassionately at Richard.

"The prince has commanded your presence. You have been gone long enough."

The half-blood looked down at the sleeping girl. "Is the body gone?"

"Of course." Richard grinned at him. "The blood was a little harder to clean up. Christian's rug was positively ruined."

"A tragedy." The halfling said, his voice soft and wooden. He got to his feet, stumbling slightly under the girls weight. Richard instinctively reached out to steady him and the smaller man flinched back. "Don't" He snarled, voice still quiet. "Don't touch me."

"But you're so delightful to touch." Richard hissed back. "So pretty and decedent."

The halfling brushed past him, the girl held firmly in his grasp. The brat continued to sleep, not even stirring from the sudden movement of Tate's steps.

"The tracker told me who the tinker was." Richard said brightly as they left the library. "I can't even begin to imagine how you must have felt as you watched your beloved killed before your very eyes. It's all terribly tragic." Richard allowed himself to grin when he saw the halfling flinch. "I must say though that he wasn't terribly happy with you. He looked like he would have liked nothing more than to strangle the life out of your graceful little neck. What did you do I wonder, to make him hate you so much?"

More silence. The halfling didn't bother to acknowledge Richard except to increase his step. The captain kept pace with him, moving closer and noticing with some amusement the way the younger mans shoulder brushed the nearest wall in an attempt to create distance between them.

"There are whispers you know." Richard said, keeping his voice low as he leant towards the half-blood. "After the stunt Christian pulled in front of our intended queen it's been said that you will need to be disposed of." He watched the halfling for a response and to his chagrin he received none. "I told you, didn't I? Your time is coming to an end and I can promise you that I have an end planned for you that will make your dead lovers demise look peaceful in comparison. The things I will do to you..."

The halfling stopped abruptly and turned to face Richard. His expression was unreadable as he looked back at the taller man. "You think I fear you?" He asked, his tone as soft as ever and Richard realised the halfling was trying not to wake the tinker bitch. "What can you do to me that he has not already done?"

"I could kill you." Richard hissed as he found himself unintentionally leaning into the half-blood's space.

Tate looked up at his with his beautiful and sinful face and smiled back at him without even a hint of fear. "It would not be unkindness." He ducked away quickly and continued back to the prince's chambers.

After a moment's pause Richard made himself follow. "And what of your tinker brat? Who would care for her with you gone?"

Tate did not respond and Richard could not provoke the smaller man any further as they had reached Christian's chambers. He bowed to the prince and watched in bemusement as the halfling stepped past Christian without acknowledging him. Tate disappeared into the small room he shared with the girl.

He emerged moment later and approached the prince. Before anyone could raise a hand to prevent it the small man punched Christian squarely in the face. A loud crack sounded and blood began to flow down the prince's nose. He let out a pained howl, doubling in two from the pain

Richard caught the halfling first and pinned the small man's arms firmly behind his back. "You've really done it now you stupid little slut." Richard whispered into Tate's ear as servants helped the already enraged prince to his feet. "He's going to crucify you."

*** Four days passed before Tate was able to undertake his regular duties as the prince's squire. He had missed the dead king's funeral but he heard the bells ring as he lay unmoving in his bed. He heard people enter in and out of Christian's inner chamber but aside from Rose and an occasional visit from the healer he was left alone. Notwithstanding the pain in his broken ribs it was a welcome respite.

"I'm going out." Christian suddenly announced, his eyes intent as he looked at Tate. "Phatilia's parents arrived earlier and I'm holding a banquet to welcome them." His eyes hardened. "You will remain unseen. I won't be back until late so you may spend the night in your room with your pet."

Since Robert's murder the already poisoned relationship between Tate and the prince had considerably soured. His hatred of the younger man had twisted into a feeling Tate had never known before. He wanted to kill him. He had imagined taking the dagger from the prince mattress and stabbing it through the bastards black heart. He thought about it as he watched the younger man sleep. He had found himself daydreaming about the act, imagining the satisfaction it would bring him.

He couldn't force himself to do it. He was not a murderer and although he could handle violence easily enough the act of killing another person was not something he was capable of. He mollified himself with the thought that he was cautious because he was protecting Rose. He dreaded to think that would happen to her if he was taken away for murdering the prince. He couldn't risk her life, not when Lukas was devising a plan to take her away.

"Very well." Tate said, finding it difficult not to spit at the larger man. He bowed his head and averted his eyes. "Do you require anything else?"

A few tense moments passed before Tate risked an upward glance. He was relieved to realise that he was alone.

Alone for the whole evening. An interesting prospect, should he have the courage to venture out of his cell. He thought of Robert's unseeing and dead eyes. He thought of Rose and the very real danger she was in.

There wasn't really any choice. He needed to go.

*** "Tate?" Lukas's whispered, not daring to believe that the halfling had finally come to meet him. He felt his heart start hammering in his chest as his beloved crept from beneath a shadowed alcove within the confines of a low hanging willow tree. Tate's hair glistened with frost and water as he made his way cautiously to Lukas's side. When they came together he hesitated for a moment before resting his head on Lukas's shoulder. Lukas heard a tired sigh and felt Tate's entire body shudder. "How long have you been out here?" Lukas asked him, chaffing the slight man's arms to try and restore some heat to the chilled limbs. "God's, you're soaked through."

"I wasn't sure when you were likely to pass by next." He raised his head off Lukas's shoulder and looked up at him with weary eyes. "I needed to see you."

"Well here I am." He wrapped his arms around Tate, feeling a moment of dismay when his beloved stiffened. He stubbornly kept hold and eventually Tate's rattling frame relaxed against him. "But what of you? You're nothing but skin and bones." He pulled back slightly and caught Tate's chin in his hand. "And your face! So many bruises."

Lukas couldn't fathom it; he truly and honestly could not understand how anyone could hurt another person, especially when that person was practically defenceless. Tate was such a fae creature, so small and slight that hitting him seemed downright malicious.

The half-blood wouldn't meet his eyes. That worried him considerably. Tate had never looked defeated, even when they had first met and he had been injured and surrounded by people he had then called his enemies, he had always seemed so terribly prideful. So prideful that Lukas had found him tiresome on more than one occasion. But the defeat and tiredness he saw now petrified him.

"Have you seen Rose yet?" Tate asked, pointedly ignoring Lukas's questions as he slowly snaked his arms around the tinker's waist. He put his head back on Lukas's shoulder and seemed quite content to leave it there as the tinker reached up and slowly stroked the half-blood's saturated locks.

"From afar." The image of her pinched face and haunted eyes made him remember how much she had changed from the cherub faced little imp he had once cherished. "She was kept as a whipping girl wasn't she?"

"Yes, for a time." Tate let out a shuddering breath. "I put a stop to it."

"And in quite a spectacular manner if the rumours are true."

Tate leaned back to look at him and despite Lukas's playful tone his face was solemn. "They beat a little girl and somehow think they're the superior ones." He shook his head. "Christian doesn't even think of her as a person. She's a thing to him."

He didn't know how to react to such news. Did it make him angry that they considered his sister as something less than human, of course? Did it surprise him, no? He had grown up in a world where even the lowest peasant thought themselves better than a tinker. All they could do was endure. He would free his sister and he would take her away from the prince, but for all that they were he could not shield her from the ugliness of the word. "Where is Christian?" Lukas enquired and immediately regretted it when Tate broke violently from their embrace. His eyes widened dramatically as he twisted his head in every direction. He looked back at Lukas with an almost crazed expression.

"Do you see him?"

"Of course not." Lukas said in what he hoped was a soothing tone. "I asked because I didn't want you to get in trouble if he's looking for you."

Tate let out a strangled laugh and collapsed onto his knees. "Never fear then. He's with his intended wife tonight. They're being chaperoned of course." He looked up at Lukas with a hateful expression that he dearly hoped was not meant for him. "As if they need one. Christian won't touch her until has to procure his precious heir."

"It's rumoured that he enjoys women and men." Lukas said gently. "He may yet become taken with her."

"He won't." Tate said with total confidence. He gave his head a rueful shake and whispered, "It's my fault."

Lukas blinked at him. "What do you mean your fault? How could you possibly be to blame?"

Tate covered his face with his hands. "I'm cursed." He whispered.