Delights in Time

Story Info
Her husband gave her everything, but it wasn't enough.
10.7k words
4.24
216.1k
69
0

Part 1 of the 3 part series

Updated 10/29/2022
Created 06/13/2006
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
thecelt
thecelt
2,495 Followers

This is a story in three parts. They will be published on succeeding days. It is a Loving Wife story and is typical of those I have written before. It isn't a sex story even though there is some in the first and second parts. That is not the focus of this story. So you can decide whether you want to proceed.

Thanks to Angel Love for her comments, suggestions and editing. She is an inspiration for me.

The beginning:

Rosalind and Reese Delgorio had met and married 17 years ago. Reese was now 44 years of age. He was just over 6', 190 lbs with green eyes and black hair, beginning to turn gray. Rosalind, or Roz to everyone, was 38, 5' 4" and weighed just under 115. She had shoulder length wavy blonde hair and ice blue eyes. They had two girls, Jacey 14 who favored her father and Jada, her mother's daughter, 12. Both were active and intelligent and well behaved young ladies and they were loved by their parents whom they loved in return. They lived in a beautiful two story home on East Lake Shore Drive in Springfield, Il. The home was large, over 5,000 square feet and had 5 bedrooms and 5 baths. It had 2.5 acres of land and the back faced Lake Springfield. The large back yard sloped to the lake and had a pool and a small tennis court. They bought the home 12 years ago, just after Jada was born and had never regretted it.

Roz and Reese had money thanks to Reese's success with the stock options from the IPO of Hadley Controls, the company that he, with three other men, had started right out of college. Reese was an electrical engineer and had a mind for original design, so he combined his designs and ideas with three of his friends to form the company. Each of the four had a specialty and together they had made the company wildly successful. It had taken 10 years of his life and all of his money but it had paid off royally. When it had gone public 14 years ago, two of the partners sold out and left, but Reese and one of the other partners had backed off a little and took VP jobs to keep an eye on their investment and their remaining stock options. Unfortunately, Reese couldn't work just a little: he ended up working a full time job with Quality Control and he was reluctant to delegate work to others.

Roz was a stay at home mom for the first 10 years of Jacey's life and 8 years of Jada's. She loved her girls and loved raising them and seeing them learn to take care of themselves. She was a marvelous cook, and refused hiring any help, preferring to raise the girls by herself while taking care of their home. She watched happily as the girls became more and more self sufficient and able to handle the problems of girls their age, but once they were older and well established in school, she told Reese that she wanted to go back to work. She was bored being by herself so much since the girls were either in school or at one of their many functions: soccer, tennis, swimming and the like. She said she needed more to do and something to exercise her brain.

Reese was initially opposed but listened to her and finally suggested she consider starting a business she could run from home or at least, one where she could set her own hours. With the sale of some of the stock options, they had the money for a decent startup and he suggested her sister Sabrina would probably love to help her. She was always complaining about Paul leaving her alone so much.

As she considered Reese's suggestion, the idea grew and took root. She called Sabrina the next day and asked her to come over and discuss it. While Sabrina loved the idea, they couldn't agree on what they wanted to do. They finally came to a decision after weeks of arguing. They would start a catering business. Both understood good food, throwing parties and how important it was for everything to be perfect. They had many friends that held parties and they all complained about the lack of a good service to cater and organize their affairs. So it was that 'Delights in Time' was born.

'Delights in Time' was a success almost from its inception. They had come up with a major improvement on all of the other catering businesses: they organized everything. They got the guest list, they sent out the invitations, they set the times and places and they made sure that everyone that was invited had what he or she could eat. Special dishes for select attendees was guaranteed. Since they knew practically everyone in town, they were able to satisfy all of their customers. The business flourished and grew far faster and far larger than they had ever expected.

The only drawback that Roz could see was that she was seeing less and less of Reese and her girls. She was so busy that she was gone from dawn to dusk and usually worked just as hard on weekends. She hated missing her family but she loved what she was doing and she loved the business. She and Sabrina had never been so close and they worked so well together. She couldn't give it up but she knew she should make some changes, but as time went on she spent more and more time away.

One of the things that she did from time to time was go to some of the many seminars that applied to her business. She and Sabrina had been to two or three and had enjoyed them all. Most were two or three day meetings and many were close by in Chicago. That meant that they could take a commuter flight and be there Monday morning for the registration and home by Wednesday morning. Just two days and nights away from home.

Reese was usually busy as well and at first, had no problem with her taking a few seminars. When she did, he had his mother come over and stay with the girls. She had her own room and she loved being with the girls. His dad had died many years ago and she lived by herself by choice. While Reese had offered, she had declined. She was content to visit often and stay with the girls when Reese and Roz went out, but she wanted to be able to go home when things got to her. So, when they needed her she was there, fixed dinner for them all and made sure the girls had someone at home when they came in. All in all, it was a perfect arrangement.

Trouble began sometime in the third year after 'Delights in Time' was fully operational and just becoming widely known. Roz and Reese had a serious argument about her time away from him and the girls. She knew he was right: she had been working non stop on three major parties and the demands were excessive. The problem was that the prestige of these parties would make their business well know to so many very important people that their reputation would be cemented. It was so important that she and Sabrina had worked well past midnight on at least 5 straight nights. To make matters worse, she had to drive around the state to make arrangements with some of their suppliers and that had her gone all day. This meant that either Reese or his mother had to be there for the girls since she wasn't. But it had all been worth it when the three parties delivered on three successive weekends were wildly successful. The society pages raved about the style, the food, the guests, and proclaimed them "in". She and Sabrina were ecstatic.

It was the week following that last party that she had mentioned to Reese that she and Sabrina were going to a seminar in Chicago at the invitation of one of the party hostesses. It was a very important seminar and she couldn't miss it. When she told Reese that she was going to be gone two days straight after being almost invisible to him and the girls for over a month, he hit the ceiling.

"I can't believe that you're leaving now that everything is over. All I heard for two months was that everything would be back to normal after the parties. The parties were over last week and now you want to take off for two or three days. What the hell's going on?"

"I told you things were getting better but this seminar is so important that we can't turn it down. Some very important people will be there and we need to meet and hand out cards so that we can make the most of it. You have to understand that."

"No, I don't have to understand that and neither do the girls. They keep asking me where you are and I have no answer for them. What do I tell them now? Mom has to go meet people that seem to be more important to her than them?"

"Reese! That's just cruel. I have to do this and you need to understand and support me. This is just temporary. It will be over after next week. Just one more week."

"That's what you've been saying. Just temporary. I also noticed that you haven't been available to me at night either for the last 7 weeks. Every time I suggest it, you are either too tired, too sleepy, too excited, too involved in something else. You have made excuses every time I ask. What was it last night? Oh, yea: your mind was working overtime and it was hard for you to think about something silly like sex. Working hard is one thing, but what you are doing gives me reason to question what else may be happening. Since sex with me is 'silly' maybe you've been finding someone else not so silly."

"Stop being paranoid! There is no body else! You know how hard I have been working on these dinners. You know how important they were to our business and you know that I had to give everything I had to making them a success, but I never thought of anything else other than finally getting this finished so I could have the time I needed to be with you. I know that I have been neglecting you and the girls and I will make it up to you next week. From then on, things will be different. I promise."

"I've had your promises up to here. You do what you have to do and never mind the girls and I. You just take care of you. That's been your attitude now for several months so nothing's changed. I just want you to remember what we promised each other so many years ago. Do you remember? Regardless of what happened in our lives, we said that we'd always make sure that we were there for each other. What happened to that promise?"

"Go to hell. You have no reason to talk to me like that and no reason to say those things to me. I have to go on this seminar and that's all there is to that. Just deal with it!"

That was that. They turned away from each other and went their separate ways for the next several days. Roz was not going to apologize and she certainly was not going to cancel her plans. Reese was just being selfish and he had his nose bent out of shape but he would come around once she was back home and things went back to normal. She felt a little twinge of guilt from time to time but she buried that deep down where it didn't bother her, much. She had to do this for her business. Sabrina was counting on her and Paul didn't complain. Of, if he did she never heard Sabrina mention it.

At lunch the next day, she asked Sabrina about Paul and how he took her working.

"Paul is actually much happier with me out of the way. We haven't been getting along very well for the last few years. We live together but we don't have much of a relationship any more. I guess we just tolerate each other. I think we're heading for a divorce. I sure don't have what you and Reese have. God, Roz, you have it all: a husband who adores you, two wonderful girls, and a gorgeous home. There isn't much you don't have. I envy you."

"I guess you're right but Reese is giving me a hard time about the seminar. He's upset that I've been so busy that I've neglected him and the girls and I know he's right but he simply refuses to understand how important this seminar is to us. He's mad and he doesn't want me to go. I told him I have to and that's when we stopped talking to each other."

"But we don't both have to go. You can stay here and I'll go for both of us. It isn't that important. Certainly not as important as your marriage and your family."

"I think it is. I need to have my own life. I've given up so much for Reese and Jacey and Jada. It's time now for me. I know I have everything, and most women would give anything to have this life. But something is missing Sabrina. Something is lacking in my perfect life and I don't know what it is. When we're busy and making things happen, I seem to be happy. When I'm at home, I just can't seem to relax. I can't explain what I'm feeling but it's important to me to do this."

"I guess I understand and maybe I agree but I'm not sure Reese does. He's the one you have to worry about. Don't mess this up Roz, I'll telling you."

"Reese will come around. And if he doesn't, that's too bad. He's not being fair."

"I wish you wouldn't talk like that. I'm beginning to worry about you and some of the things you're saying or thinking. I hope you don't do anything foolish to push Reese away. Promise me that you won't be foolish Roz."

"I promise. Stop worrying about me. It's silly to think I would do anything to push Reese away from me. I could never do that."

Nothing more was said at home about the seminar and things went from bad to worse for Roz. Reese was furious, the girls were disappointed and she felt excluded from her own family. None of them would talk to her and she finally took to going back to the little store front they used as an office in the evenings. It was a 20 minute drive from home.

Things stayed that way for several days until one evening Reese got a call from Sabrina.

"Hi, Reese, can I talk to Roz? I need to ask her something about an order."

"Well, you could if she were here. I thought she was with you. She's gone almost all the time anymore so I can't keep track of her."

"Oh, well I guess she's at the storefront. She does go there quite a bit to work. I wish she'd just slow down. I offered to go to Chicago by myself but she feels it is important to her. Just be patient Reese. This will all be over very soon."

"Oh, I agree that things will be over, but probably not the way you do. Goodnight Sabrina."

Reese hung up the phone with a bad feeling in the pit of his stomach. Where was his loving wife tonight? Her sister didn't seem to know and Roz never told him where she was going. What was the attraction wherever she was? Was it something or someone? Maybe he should find out. His thoughts took a direction that he had never anticipated they would have to go and it shook him to his core.

The girls had gone to a concert at the school with the mother of one of their friends whose turn it was to carpool. They would be home later, so he had some time to himself. He decided to make a couple of phone calls. The first was to the storefront office. After 5 rings, there was no answer. He next called her cell phone and again, no answer. So, she was not where Sabrina thought she was and her cell was turned off. It became clear to Reese that she chose not to be found. Well, so be it. Reese made another decision that he would put into effect at work.

At the storefront, Roz was working on a new menu for a party that she had booked for later in the year. It was far too soon to be doing this, but this was preferable to sitting at home with Reese while he punished her with his silence. Since the girls were out, she would just stay there till time for them to come home. As she worked, the phone rang but she ignored it. She didn't want to talk to anyone, especially Reese or Sabrina. After a few rings it stopped, but just seconds later, her cell rang. Again, she ignored the sound and continued to work. After about two more hours with no further interruptions, it was time to go home.

The weekend passed without further agitation. Reese seemed to have accepted her need to go on this seminar and he was almost normal towards her. She relaxed somewhat and tried to encourage his acceptance by staying near home Saturday and Sunday. Sunday night, she made the effort and she and Reese made love. While it was good, as always, it lacked something. She felt that both of them were still a little tentative from their earlier argument but at least they found the time to be together. Maybe things would really be better when she got back.

Monday morning, Sabrina and Roz caught the commuter to Chicago as planned. They got a cab at the airport and checked into the hotel just about an hour before the initial registration began. They unpacked and went down to the lounge to meet and greet. Coffee and snacks were available and they spent an enjoyable hour meeting some of the vendors that represented companies they were interested in.

At the registration, Sabrina met some friends from Round Lake, a suburb of Chicago where she had lived for some time before moving to Springfield. She introduced Roz but then decided to sit with them for the first session. Roz wandered around for a while before spotting Ted Hill, a salesman for Walker-Phillips Wholesalers, a company she and Sabrina did a lot of business with. She had always liked Ted and she was happy to accept when he asked her to sit with him. They went into the meeting room and the presentations started.

As the morning and afternoon meetings concluded, Ted asked her if she and Sabrina would like to have dinner on him that evening. He had made plans to go to the Tavern on Rush for steaks and she had never been there so she accepted on the spot. She would ask Sabrina later when she saw her. Ted left her to make arrangements while she went back to her room to change and find Sabrina.

As she entered the room, she found Sabrina already getting ready to go out. When she told her of Ted's offer for dinner, Sabrina said that she had already made plans to go with her friends. She had assumed that Roz would go with her so she had simply forgotten to mention it. Roz was a little upset that Sabrina would just assume for her so she said that she would just as soon go with Ted.

"Rosalind, you have no business going to dinner alone with Ted Hill. He is a sweet man but he is single and you aren't! You need to come with me so that's settled."

"I beg your pardon? Since when do I have to get your permission to have dinner with a friend? Isn't that what you are doing? Dining with friends?"

"Yes, but my friends are all female and yours isn't. Do I need to say more?"

"No, and I resent your implication. I'm having dinner with Ted at the Tavern on Rush and that's that. Have fun and I'll see you later."

"Roz, I really wish you wouldn't do this. What are you going to tell Reese when you get back. 'I'm sorry Reese, I had dinner with a single man without Sabrina'? After what you told me a week ago, I'm worried about you."

"Don't be. Reese and I are fine and I have no intention of doing anything except enjoying steaks at a famous steakhouse in Chicago. Have fun and enjoy your friends."

Sabrina left a few minutes later with a bad feeling in her stomach. She was really worried about Roz and wished she had been more involved with her today. When she found her friends she was so pleased to spend time with them that she completely forgot Roz for most of the day and never noticed who she was with. Ted was a nice guy but he had a reputation as a playboy and he was certainly good looking and very charming. Normally Roz would not be vulnerable to someone like him, but now? Sabrina wasn't sure. She would have a talk with Roz tonight after dinner.

After Sabrina left, Roz calmed down and considered what she should do. On one hand, she knew she should not go to dinner alone with Ted, but on the other hand, she wanted to go out for a nice dinner but not alone. She finally decided that there would be no harm in accepting Ted's invitation. With that decided, she dressed very conservatively and went down to meet Ted.

They went to dinner and Roz had a wonderful time. The Tavern was great and they ate outside since the weather was nice. They had their picture taken and she now had a nice souvenir of the occasion. Ted had been great company and a perfect gentleman and she had accompanied him back to the hotel for drinks. It was the perfect end to a great evening. As they sat together, her with a glass of wine and Ted with a mixed drink, her cell phone rang. As she pulled it out, she could see that it was Reese. Even though she was irritated, she felt she had to answer it since it could be something about the girls.

thecelt
thecelt
2,495 Followers