Demon's Grace Ch. 44-46

Story Info
I pulled open the door to the bar.
4.2k words
4.74
10.1k
9

Part 18 of the 19 part series

Updated 10/30/2022
Created 03/13/2012
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
akbunny
akbunny
191 Followers

CHAPTER 44

I pulled open the door to the bar and immediately saw Taurin sitting at a raised circular table across the way. He was talking to Severin, an Ice Dweller I met at this bar. They both had beer glasses in front of them. He didn't look around as he talked in my mind.

'Come to me?'

My anger dissipated and my insides turn soft as I walked to him, 'Yes.' When I was close enough he held out his hand and I took it.

"I remember you. Your eyes changed," Severin said, smiling at me.

"Yes, we met briefly," I said, my eyes leaving Taurin for a second to glance at him. Taurin slid off the seat and placed a hand under my chin. I looked deep into his blue eyes as he bent closer to my face. We kissed, in public, and I didn't mind. It was one of the most lovely kisses I had ever received from anyone. I felt precious and loved through it and I ached to give him the same feelings.

Severin gave a low whistle and we turned our attention to him. His face was serious, "Best of luck with that Taurin."

We watched him walk down the stairs and then looked at each other with affection. "He's talking about the crazy thing isn't he?"

Taurin gave a non-committal shrug, "It could be because you're ummm... what are you, oh yeah, a demon hunter." He laughed at me.

"Yeah, well, there is that."

"Are you ready to go?" He asked.

"Please." We walked out hand in hand.

It was after one am when we stepped into the alley. I inhaled the night air deeply. "Who was that demon who grabbed me in the bar?"

"I've never seen him before. I asked Ezra and he didn't know either."

"Is that normal? I forgot to ask Zanzibar."

"Not necessary. I was there for the lecture remember. Zanzibar had no idea who he was either, despite that my brother knew who he was. As for us not knowing each other, it happens, rarely, but still."

I changed subjects, "Is Daemion that much of a bad ass?"

Taurin turned to give me his full attention, "Honestly, we're all surprised Zanzibar's still alive."

I paused and decided to table the discussion about longevity for later, with Ezra around. Instead, I focused on another avenue, "Oh, so you don't know his real name either?"

"No. Never cared."

"Hmm," I responded as we kept walking in the heat filled night towards the jeep. My heart rate accelerated when he turned me around and pushed me up against the jeep. A cascading warmth permeated my body as I happily accepted the start of a passionate kiss. The front of our bodies pressed up against one another and I hastily wrapped my arms around his neck. I reveled in the length of his body against mine and the cage of his arms enveloping me. We were interrupted by a nonchalant voice.

"Attempting to make me jealous?"

Out of my periphery vision I saw two small flames dance across Ezra's hand.

"Maybe. I'm tired of always being the jealous one." Taurin spoke with his lips against mine.

I stared deeply into his iced over eyes as we shared breaths.

Ezra continued blandly. "Did either one of you stop to think about Oldavai?"

I would have backed up at those words if the jeep wasn't in the way. Taurin didn't though, two of his fingers gently caressed down my lips.

"I'm not the one lying about my feelings." His intense blue gaze moved from my lips to my eyes.

"This distraction makes you both easy targets." His flaming hand came down hard, an inch from where my head rested.

Taurin grabbed me by my waist and pulled me away quickly. He gave me a quick kiss on the lips as he twirled me around behind him. "Yes, Ezra," he said dispassionately.

Ezra moved in close to him, until they were almost touching. "You can do better than this Taurin," he hissed.

His flaming eyes looked over at me, but he didn't say anything. I could almost hear the accusation, 'and so can you'. But he didn't, because he wasn't so sure anymore, and Ezra didn't say things he wasn't sure about. I was starting to agree with him, because it never once occurred to me to question whether I was being influenced by Oldavai.

Despite the ache in my back I decided to drive back to the hotel to help me from being distracted by Taurin. I kept glancing in the rearview mirror at him anyway. He never acknowledge me as he looked out the window, but he had a slight satisfied smile on his face. I wanted to be with him, it had to be Oldavai, only I didn't smell or feel any indication of it.

"How could he have gotten to us?"

'Are you sure it's 'us',' Taurin asked in my head. I ignored him and glanced at Ezra, who was also looking out the window.

"I have no idea," Ezra responded.

"Could he have been that demon who was pushy at the bar?"

There was a weighted silence coming from Ezra. I waited, knowing him well enough that he was figuring out what to say.

"I know Oldavai."

I raised my eyes at that. "And you didn't think that was pertinent for me to know?!"

"I met him when he was a young incubus. I know the feel of him in my mind. I also told you that he is good at illusion."

We sat in the jeep at the hotel as I digested this bit of information. "So, it could have been him."

"Only if he can change his actual self."

"I wouldn't classify that as an illusion then."

"Exactly, I would know him no matter what form he choose to wear." Ezra said with satisfaction since I understood what he was saying.

We all got out of the jeep. "Every day I feel like I get the short end of the stick. And you know what?" I said to no one in particular, "It all started the day my mother was murdered."

Neither replied and I was happy they didn't. I didn't want pity, not that I'd get that from them.

When we got into the hotel I was irritable and antsy. I wanted to be with Taurin, in his embrace. I was positive it was Oldavai. I'd never felt this way before. Sure, the two of us were getting closer, but I didn't think feelings would just jump this way. Would they?

I paced in the bedroom and thought about throwing Taurin out, but I couldn't say the words. I could hear the two of them talking in demon behind the closed door of the adjoining sitting room. I wondered briefly for the hundredth time why I never bothered to learn the language. Probably because I thought I was only going to kill demons and not live with them. I scoffed and laughed sourly at myself, so short-sided Dove.

I decided to focus on getting ready for sleep and practically threw myself down on the bed when I was finished. If Oldavai was in Seattle then I needed to try to hunt him down. I thought about getting back up and preparing a circle, but decided to toss and turn instead.

I stared up at the dark ceiling as I thought about Taurin. I looked towards the bedroom door as I felt air push inward. My finger tapped on the mattress as it opened. Taurin stood behind Ezra. God, this sucked. I thought I really was starting to like Taurin more and didn't want Oldavai to fuck with my feelings. Ezra came closer to the bed. The fierce red glow from his body made shadows on the wall. His hand pushed back the hair in my face.

"I don't know what to do," I stated, refusing to look at him. I couldn't stand to see what he was feeling in his eyes. I wouldn't know what to do with that either.

"I know," he replied.

"Is it just me?"

There was a long pause before Ezra responded, "Taurin says he is not affected."

"So, I'm the weakest link," I whispered.

Ezra nudged me over with his hip, "What are you going to do next?"

"I'm going after Oldavai with everything I have."

"Good."

I glanced at him, "You kept the gun from the wolf attack?"

"No one tries to shoot ordinary bullets into a demon thinking it will kill. I kept the hand gun, but there was a rifle that Taurin found in the woods. The magazine was empty. I let him sell it. Now you need to tell us what you found out."

It was then that I realized I hadn't told them yet. I was distracted... by Oldavai. Oh, he was good. So, I told them what I learned from Punk. Ezra chuckled when he heard about where the magic came from. Then I told them about Laci. Neither demon said anything out loud, but I could almost hear the buzz between their minds at the mention of her name. I opened my mouth to ask what they were talking about when Ezra interrupted. Probably on purpose.

"I take it you are starting tomorrow?"

"Yes." I said with determination.

Ezra stared at me, "If that is what you wish."

"Bad PR for demon hunters if you manage to find him in a public place," Taurin said from the doorway.

"I don't care anymore."

Ezra gave me a blank look and redirected the conversation. "You need to get some sleep. It will help you heal."

"I know," I turned and stared at the shrouded window, wishing that Taurin was on the other side of me.

"Will you sleep if Taurin is next to you?" Ezra asked blandly.

I swear he read my mind with that question. Fragilely I whispered, "I don't know."

I felt Taurin move from the doorway and my body unclenched itself. He flowed towards the bed feral like even fully clothed. I watched him, my eyes only for him. I barely registered Ezra moving me over more to lay down next to me over the blanket. I held my breath as Taurin and I stared at one another, his eyes completely iced over. The silence pervaded the room, cloyingly thick. The click of the air conditioning prompted me to exhale and with it all my fears. I reached for him and he crawled under the blanket to be closer to me. He held me and pushed my head on his shoulder. He wasn't as cold as I was used to.

Taurin bent towards me, "We're reasonably sure he doesn't know who Ezra is and therefore hasn't been able to focus his magic on him through you." He continued with a matter-of-fact tone, "You remember that he's trying to make one of us kill the other or each other, even without his knowledge of Ezra personally."

It was on the tip of my tongue to say I didn't care, but I forced myself to stop. I collected my thoughts before I replied, "You won't."

Taurin hugged me closer and said, "I'm glad you're full of conviction. It keeps us safe."

Ezra reached over and touched my back like I was his touchstone for restraint. A little dragon inside of me whipped its shimmering tail back and forth.

CHAPTER 45

I slept late into the day. I guess I needed more healing sleep than I realized. Taurin stayed with me the entire time and I felt blissful because of it. This only caused me to worry. I was awake and thinking rapidly as I wiggled every part of my body deeper into his embrace.

"Your eyes are closed, but I can hear the clamor of you incoherent thoughts," he whispered into my ear.

I crinkled my nose and kept my eyes closed, "Then tune it out and stay out of my head."

Taurin laughed softly. "Are you ready to hunt, IshaDove?"

I stretched, focusing on the lack of suppleness on my back, but I'd live. I looked over at him and asked, "How are you feeling?"

"Each day I feel better. I think that if that magic stayed in that we'd die. As it is, I keep wondering if I got it all out of my system. Ezra believes so."

My mind wandered over something he said and I replied distractedly, "Ezra only deals in certainties."

"He could have changed," he said with serious.

That pulled me out of my meanderings and I replied, "What do you mean?" Quickly followed up with, "I know what you mean, but, what do you mean?"

Taurin laughed and hugged me closer. "I only meant to imply that maybe he would like me to believe him and not concern myself anymore."

I squirmed out of his embrace and looked at him, "You're saying that he would deliberately lie to you."

He shrugged and moved off the bed, "It's just a thought, Dove."

I rolled off the other side and went towards the bathroom, voicing a noise of skepticism. He left the bedroom to give me space to get ready for the day. I was adjusting my sheaths when I finally walked into the sitting room where they were.

"If you can maybe die with these bullets why do demon hunters chant a death incantation when we kill?" I looked up to find them both staring at me. They were completely stone faced. Suddenly Taurin broke into a wild laugh.

"You don't know! Are all demon hunters as-" He abruptly shut up.

Shutting up was not at all like him, but I didn't care. Ezra was already in front of me with a death grip on my wrist that was pulled back to fling a dagger. I twitched my head when I noticed smoke coming from where Ezra bit me. I closed my eyes briefly, so frustrated at this point that I couldn't even swear. He slowly placed his hand where the scales were hidden by my t-shirt and looked steadily at me. I took a deep breath and stared into his eyes.

"It would be best to relax." His hand slid up my neck until his fingers brushed behind my ear.

I fought his other hand that was forcefully bringing my arm down. A subtle movement and he was even closer to my body. I finally eased into him and sheathed my dagger. "I'm going to kill him. Kill him for messing with my emotions. Kill him for making me think that I actually want to be with that." I motioned to Taurin still sitting on the couch.

Taurin slowly got up and walked to the door. Little by little his head turned to us, his hand on the door knob. "Shall we go?" He asked as coldly as the breeze he was making waft though the room.

I raised my chin and cocked my head at him, "Yes."

Ezra mouth sided up to my ear, "You can kill him. You would not do it though."

I closed my eyes and knew he was right. Whether he was talking about Taurin or Oldavai I had no idea.

Ezra wisely convinced me not to go on a rampage with an empty stomach. Taurin kept giving me side glances and small smiles. That probably had to do with the fact that he could feel my compulsion to be closer despite my anger at him. Because of that I purposely asked for a table with chairs.

That also was the reason that I ended up tearing pages of the phone book as I agitatedly flipped through it looking for vamp bars, helpfully highlighted in red. I paused in thought and looked up Zanzibar's. It was highlighted in black with red letters. I laughed. I was surprised they didn't have it black on black or that it was even in the phone book. Demons seemed to be thought of as the worst of the worst. I laughed again and said my thoughts out loud. Ezra simply agreed. Taurin continued to annoy me with foot nudges under the table. I handed the phone book to the hostess, paid the bill, and we left.

We hit the vamp clubs that stayed open during the day for meetings. Mostly for people booking events or those who were nervous about visiting them at night and needed reassurance. Watching a human woman practically dragged into a club by her boyfriend made me wince. If you had that much anxiety over the idea then I say ditch the guy and stay away. At that thought I looked at Taurin and wished I could take my own advice. I continued to be antsy as a live wire due to Taurin's behaviors; his casual brush ups, impish smiles, and fast touches. I couldn't decide if I wanted to kiss him or punch him.

It was the fourth club that we never got into because I screamed a sound of fury in his face. "You have got to stop! Just stop!" I pushed at his chest. "I am not doing this!"

His mouth stretched into a huge smile and his body moved as if he was laughing, but no sound came out. I felt the air move towards me and he grabbed me. His hand secured the back of my head and I was being kissed with a fiery passion.

I was lost immediately. My heart beat erratically and I latched on to him, responding in kind. Emotions I never knew I possessed poured out of my kiss. We were smashed up against one another and my hand was running through his hair. His hold on me felt like a safety net that I didn't want to leave.

A little dragon shrieked a battle cry so loud inside of me that Taurin and I both jumped back in an instinctive move. My heart beat from desire to fear in less time than it took for me to draw breath. I turned to my left very slowly, afraid of the sight I would see. He stood there, propped up against the wall, arms crossed. Still as a statue except for the flickering flames swirling in and out of his body. My attention was all for him, as his seemed to be for me. I doubted it though. I would bet he was aware of every movement from Taurin on my right.

A man stepped out of the front door of the club. I cautiously turned my head from Ezra to the man. He wore jeans and a t-shirt and he wasn't smiling. He had an unassuming face with a stylish cut of brown hair. I figured him to be in his thirties, but the way he regarded us didn't fit with that age in human terms. His gym shoes tapped on the pavement.

"There's a lot of magic going on outside this bar." His eyes focused on me. "I take it you're the one looking for Laci. Your message is being passed around. Zanzibar started asking for her last night."

Before I could speak Ezra moved next to me. He gently placed his hand on the small of my back. I glanced at him in astonishment at his soft touch after such an air of anger surrounding him. He surprised me again when he spoke to the man in what sounded like Dutch.

The man responded in kind and bowed minutely to Ezra before he turned to me. "It takes a brave soul to live with the devil and not kill it or be turned into one," he said in a perfect American accent. He walked into the bar without another word.

I blinked, speechless. I didn't know if he was talking about me or himself, because, as far as I was concerned, he lived with devils too.

CHAPTER 46

Ezra directed a small pressure on my back to get us walking. "We have done all that we can in this direction. Would you look for him now through magic?"

I eyed him from the side. He was taking this fairly well. No mention of what just transgressed. As we passed Taurin I specifically kept my gaze from him. "I suppose I could do that. Find his secret hole or maybe do some research on him at the Affairs' Office."

"Search him out," Ezra directed. "Verify that he is close by."

"Ohh kay Ez," I looked at him in speculation. "What's on your mind?"

"I want to know his power range and how it pertains to his influence on you."

'If Oldavai is influencing you, I like it. I hope it stays after we're done with him,' Taurin said smugly in my mind.

I stumbled over my feet at Taurin's words. Ezra caught me by my elbow before I face planted myself in the pavement. I knew he liked it. It was obvious. I just didn't expect him to actually say those words to me. How could he be with someone not knowing if it was magic propelling them or not? Must be demon mentality.

"Taurin, I have no idea or inclination to know what you just said to Dove, but enough. She needs to focus."

I looked up at Ezra and was amazed at the intense fury he showed me belying his calm tone. My awareness pivoted solely on him, Taurin's words forgotten. His loose hair moved from the heat wafting off him. He moved, snake like, closer to my face.

"I will be intensely exhilarated when this is over, Dove."

My breath stuttered as I stared into those flickering eyes. His rage had so noticeably intensified since Taurin came into our lives. It smothered the air around us. I breathed in heat through my nose and cupped the side of his face. I hoped he could see the concern and love reflected in my eyes as I moved in to kiss him. He closed his eyes and placed a finger on my lips, effectively stopping me.

"I cannot look at you when you open yourself to me. Not now. You strip me bare. The stare of your dawn eyes would drown me and I am so very... very... angry." He opened his eyes and I finally saw the flames that I only glimpsed reflections of. "And I do not want to be calm," his voice was harsh and adamant to my ears.

"Ezra," I whispered. "Don't lose me because of your anger."

He grabbed me so quick I felt the air displacement as it happened. He hugged me close and spoke into my hair. "I will never be able to lose you." I felt his lips curl into a smile, "You would never let me."

akbunny
akbunny
191 Followers
12