Devonny Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
theDuskyGirl
theDuskyGirl
1,102 Followers

Gabriel barely registered her lips moving. He was too busy looking at the rest of her. He'd been on his way to meet Abigail in the parlor when he noticed a young woman pause in the doorway awkwardly holding a saucer of milk. All he'd seen of her was dark raven hair, and a very fine gown. He did not miss the smallness of her waist nor the way her hips flared out gently, or the delicate slope of her shoulders. It was a feminine form he had not yet been acquainted and he had been on his way to admire more closely when the girl turned right into him, the saucer of milk slipping from her fingers. She bent immediately to retrieve the saucer. Devonny.

Without thinking he bent immediately, taking her hand and raising her to stand when she would have begun cleaning up the mess. Her cheeks reddening at the touch of his hand, she quickly moved out of his grasp. He realized she was speaking to him but he didn't quite make out her words. He was stunned.

"Gabriel?" she ventured noting the quizzical look on his handsome face. He blinked at her, that slight scowl he perpetually wore returning.

"Where have you been? And dressed thus?"

Devonny blinked at him in return, taken aback by his question. "I went with Prince to call on the Madisons." A slight frown marred her brow at his tone. "They are people of quality and it is only right that I should be dressed thus."

Gabriel looked sheepish and clasped his arms behind his back. "I did not mean to sound reproachful, Devonny. It's simply that..." his voice trailed off and his lips thinned as though he were thinking carefully about his next words.

Devonny stifled a wearied sigh. It was always thought and caution with Gabriel. She dropped a small curtsy. "If you will excuse me sir." She made to skirt around him but his hand shot out catching her wrist in a gently yet unbreakable grasp.

"Devonny, please," he said, his emerald gaze fervent.

"Sir?" confusion flitted over her lovely features.

Gabriels gaze roved over her face, drinking in the vision. "You look magnificent. I apologize I was caught off guard. I thought you were someone else."

Devonny looked at him squarely. "You mean you mistook me someone you might actually speak to publicly."

Gabriel flinched inwardly at the resignation and lassitude in her tone.

Devonny averted her gaze though he still held her where she stood. "Thank you for your..." she smiled wanly, "compliment although it's mostly Elijah's doing." She knew she was baiting him but she could not help it. The day had been mentally exhausting. The last thing she wanted was another encounter with Gabriel that would tear her emotions to shreds. Her voice was cool. "If you will excuse me, sir. I should like to change into something more...suitable."

He began to protest, "Devonny I—"

"Gabriel?" A light feminine voice called to him from the direction of the parlor.

Gabriel froze and released his hold on Devonny as if he had been burned while Devonny took a swift step away from him, instantly recognizing Gabriel's constant companion, Abigail Harding.

Devonny forced her most demure expression to her face and lowered her gaze. "Why Miss Abigail," Gabriel smiled his most charming smile and quickly moved to take Abigail's arm but the young woman's gaze was fixed on Devonny, taking in the fineness of the silk gown, the elegant coif of her hair, not to mention the pearl baubles hanging from her ears.

The girl was strikingly beautiful Abigail was loath to admit. The girl was colored, yes, but she did not like the way her future fiancé had been looking at her when he thought they were unobserved.

"Gabriel," Abigail cooed smiling sweetly up at him. "I was wondering what had delayed you. Aren't you going to introduce me?"

Gabriel lifted one dark brow in consternation. "Abigail, this is Devonny Clarke."

"Charmed," Abigail smiled though the smile did not quite reach her eyes. "And you are visiting Kedleston Hall?"

Devonny opened her mouth to respond when Gabriel cleared his throat. "Devonny is a..." he seemed unsure of what to call her exactly. He frown.

Devonny smiled tightly. "I'm a servant here, Miss," she offered stiffly.

Abigail's flaxen brows lifted. "I see." The girl certainly did not look like any servant she had ever seen. Paramour perhaps. But this girl, dressed as she was, was certainly not anyone's servant. What game was Gabriel playing at?

Devonny looked at Gabriel and dipped a quick curtsy. "Sir," and then looked to Abigail. "Miss, if you would excuse me." And she all but fled the foyer without awaiting a response.

Gabriel stared after her only to be jarred from his thoughts by a tug on his sleeve. "Why Gabriel, she doesn't look like a servant at all."

Gabriel smiled down at her thinly. "It is as she said, Abigail."

"But why haven't I seen her before?"

"You most likely simply didn't recognize her. She's of the household staff back in London. She has the summer months off."

Abigail looked shocked at this. "And she resides here? I've never heard of such a thing."

A slight frown marred Gabriel's brow as he steered her back towards the parlor. "Would you like some tea, Abigail?"

It was obvious that he would speak no more on the matter and Abigail allowed him to lead her into the salon though she cast one last glance in the direction the girl had disappeared. When she and Gabriel were finally engaged, getting rid of that girl would be the first thing she did.

Devonny fled to her room closing the door behind her and quickly pulled the heavy damask curtains closed. Her face felt hot and her eyes burned at holding back tears. She angrily wrenched the pins from her coif, allowing her dark locks so fall past her shoulders. She buried her face in her hands, struggling to regain her composure.

She almost screamed aloud at the knock on her door. She wanted to ignore it but the knocking only persisted. Swallowing thickly, she hesitated, her fingertips lingering on the door handle. She could not, would not, endure another heart wrenching encounter with Gabriel.

"Devonny?" came the masculine voice on the other side of the door. The anxiety drained out of her immediately. Eli.

Taking a deep breath and fixing her face into a pleasant expression she opened the door.

Eli was leaning on the doorframe and he flashed her a roguish grin before allowing his gaze to roam leisurely over her form. "My, my," he drawled straightening and stepped around her to enter the room, "You look good enough to eat." He stepped close to her and brushed her hair back from her face to get a better look at the pearls hanging from her ears. His smile broadened. "I have exquisite taste."

Devonny returned his smile and deftly moved out of his reach to seat herself gracefully on the settee. "Don't you have guests to attend to, Eli?"

Eli rolled his azure gaze upwards and slumped into the armchair opposite her. "God save me from witless chits. If I have to go back down there I might be tempted to gauge my eyes out with flaming hot pokers."

Devonny laughed, "And yet your home is constantly filled with such charming young things."

Elie grimaced. "Yes, charming...all waiting to bleed my coffers dry and have a dozen rugrats running around."

Devonny lifted one ebony brow in amusement. "You don't wish to marry?"

Eli sighed and slumped lower into his seat. "Of course...one day. Maybe. Perhaps."

Devonny's lips twisted in a wry smile at his response. "Glad to see you're not in any sort of hurry."

Eli shrugged. "When I finally marry I want her to be..." he paused, contemplating his future wife. "I want her to be beautiful, and smart. I don't want to feel like ending my life after an hour of conversation with her. And I don't want some simpering doll. I want a woman with spirit."

Devonny couldn't help but laugh at his maligned expression.

Eli slumped even lower in his seat. "At least I shall have a few more glorious years of bachelorhood once Gabriel marries," he grumbled.

Devonny's smile faltered at the mention of Gabriel's impending marriage. She held no illusions whatsoever regarding their relationship. She was a servant, and the best she could ever hope for would be some sort of tryst, no more meaningful than that of any wealthy man and his serving girl. No, Gabriel Davenport was not for her but she'd be damned if she watched him marry and have children as if it meant nothing to her. Once again she reminded herself that her time in the Davenport household must come to an end before her heart was trampled any further.

Elijah noted the dimming of Devonny's smile and the faraway look in her gaze. "Blast it, Devonny," he grimaced, causing her to lift her gaze to his once more. "I'm sorry. I wasn't thinking when I spoke of Gabriel. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings and ruin your good disposition. Forgive me."

She gave him a reassuring smile. "To be honest my disposition was not ideal before you came, and it's no fault of yours."

Elijah shook his head and watched her carefully, gauging her reaction at his next words. "Gabriel has more patience for feminine whiles than I.

Devonny crossed her arms and returned Eli's stare, not allowing a single flicker of emotion to cross her face. "So it would seem."

Elijah's flaxen brows lifted. "It bothers you not?"

Devonny mimicked one of Eli's nonchalant shrugs. "No. Why should it?'

Eli leaned forward, elbows on knees, his hands clasped. "Perhaps because you're in love with each other."

Devonny blinked at him. "Don't be absurd. Gabriel is not in love with me—in lust—that perhaps is true. But certainly not in love."

Eli cocked his head, his clear sapphire eyes roaming over her face. "He has acted on his lusts then."

Devonny's golden brown skin warmed, taking on a decidedly flushed look as she scowled and threw a decorative pillow from the settee at him. "Of course not!" she ground out and then her mind drifted back to the morning she had woken in Gabriel's arms and the wonderful sensations that his hands and lips had awakened.

Eli easily caught the pillow and tossed it aside. But he did not miss the traitorous flush of her cheeks. "Ha!" he exclaimed, jarring her from her sensuous thoughts. "So he has acted!"

Devonny's scowl deepened as she rose regally to her feet with a swish of silk. She moved to the tall windows and drew back the curtains. "Your brother would not lose control like that, Eli. You should know that."

Eli stood and came to stand behind her where she stood gazing out the window. He gently trailed his fingers over her hair. The sweet delicate scent of her washed over him. His voice was low. "I also know that he's never struck me before with the intent to do me grievous bodily harm,—not until he thought that I had bedded you. That doesn't impress upon me that he is a man in control. I haven't seen him so tortured over a woman since..." his voice trailed off. His fingers continued to lightly comb through her dark locks.

She turned to him, her arms wrapped around herself.

Gazing down at her, Eli thought she looked decidedly small and sad. He took her chin between his thumb and forefinger to better look at her face. He sighed. "I dislike it immensely when you look so lost and forlorn. It distresses me."

She merely smiled weakly at his words.

Eli then bent and kissed her softly upon her full pink lips, his handsome face breaking into a wide grin at her shocked expression. "That's much better. Come," he said cheerily. "I want to take you riding." He flung open her armoire and quickly scanned its contents before pulling forth a dark navy riding habit and laying it on the bed. "I'll meet you in the stables in a half an hour." He tossed her a cheeky grin before he breezed from the room.

Shaking her head, Devonny crossed the room and closed the door behind him before she began the arduous taking of and undressing herself and then dressing herself once more.

She met Elijah in the stables. Orion was already saddled with a lady's saddle. He brought Maddox up beside her mount.

Eli grinned when he saw her, taking her in from her veiled topper hat to the tips hem of her gown. "My God," he said, coming towards her. "You look every inch the lady."

She laughed, "Well I suppose I should, considering the absurd and completely inappropriate wardrobe you purchased for me...which I completely adore." She shook her head as Eli took her hand and turned her in a slow circle so that he could take in the full view.

Eli chuckled at her mildly self-conscious expression and lifted her swiftly into the saddle before she could protest. Devonny hooked her knees around the pommels and arranged her long full skirts.

Eli gracefully mounted Maddox and glanced over at her. "You sit a horse well," he praised.

Devonny merely returned his look and threw him a cheeky smile before nudging Orion into a trot after him as he started off. He urged Maddox into a gallop when they were past the house and gardens.

Shaking her head at Elijah's obvious challenge to keep up with him, Devonny spurred Orion into a gallop and followed Elijah as they flew over the grounds.

Laughter bubbled up from her throat. It was a thrilling feeling the wind whip by her as the scenery sped by them and the left Kedleston Hall in the distance. She felt elated at the sense of freedom.

Eli glanced over his shoulder at the sound of her laughter and grinned at the blissful expression on her lovely face. It was exactly what he had been hoping for.

Looking forward once more, he noticed three riders in the distance coming towards them. He slowed Maddox to a trot.

When Eli slowed Maddox to a complete halt, Devonny reined Orion in next to him as she caught her breath. But Eli wasn't looking at her. He was frowning and watching the approach of three riders, two male and one female.

Devonny glanced at Eli, taking in his expression that was very near a scowl. Her gaze darted between him and the approaching group. "I can go if you like," she offered. "If you don't want to be seen—"

"No," Eli's gaze flickered to her and immediately softened and he shook his head at her misunderstanding. "It's not that. It's merely someone I do not wish to see."

The riders were elegantly dresses, and sat atop magnificent mounts. The woman was striking. Her skin was pale ivory and contrasted with the dark raven curls that were pulled back from her face to fall artfully over one shoulder. Her face was exquisite, delicate though with full pink lips and wide thickly lashed eyes.

The young man riding next to her was undoubtedly her brother. He had the same ivory skin and raven hair complimented by the same yet more masculine features of his sister.

Yet it was the third rider of the group that caused her to stiffen in her saddle, her heart plummeting into her stomach. Andre Rochard sat haughtily astride his mount, a wide smile spreading over his face when his gaze slid from Elijah Davenport to her personage. The coldly handsome man's pale blue eyes roved brazenly over her form, smiling when she shifted in obvious discomfort at his perusal.

"Eli," Devonny murmured, distress causing her voice the waver.

Eli glanced at her, hearing her softly speak his name and hearing the obvious angst in her tone. He frowned. "Devonny?"

"Well, Elijah Davenport," the woman said in a lovely lilting voice. "Imagine running into you like this. It's been too long."

Wrenching her gaze from Rochard, Devonny watched a muscle tick in Elijah's jaw. "Isabella," he acknowledged. "Marcus," he nodded to her brother. He looked Rochard, waiting for an introduction but Isabella went on, her gaze switching to Devonny.

"Why Elijah," she cooed, "Are you going to introduce us to your friend?" Her tone was cajoling and mirth danced in her eyes though Devonny detected a hint of malice in her demeanor.

Rochard urged his mount forward, bringing himself alongside Devonny. Eli frowned at the man's obvious and forward interest in Devonny. "This is Miss Devony Clarke," Eli said darkly. Devonny gave no inclination that she had heard Elijah speak at all. Her gaze was fixed on the man at her side.

"Miss Clarke," Rochard nearly purred, taking her gloved hand and bringing it to his lips while keeping his icy gaze on her face.

Devonny wrenched her hand away, the sudden movement causing Orion to toss his head and prance sideways skidishly, sensing his rider's discomfort.

Eli was surprised at Devonny's abrupt dismissal of the man. Always the picture of politeness and decorum, the coldness was unlike her. His gaze narrowed on the man who stared transfixed at Devonny who looked as though she'd like nothing better than to bolt.

"And your name sir?" Eli nearly growled.

The man's gaze flickered to him dismissively. He seemed irritated that anyone had dared divert his attention. "Andre Rochard."

Eli frowned at the name as it sparked recognition. Glancing between Devonny and Rochard he suddenly recalled the name. Fury coursed rapidly through his veins as he instantly moved to rein Maddox around and come between Rochard and Devonny. Rochard's mount snorted and pranced anxiously as Rochard moved away.

Eli was practically vibrating with rage as he gripped the reins so hard his hands ached. His voice though, was deadly calm when he spoke. "You shall remove yourself from my presence, sir."

Rochard's face turned angry, suffused with red.

Eli's face was hard. "Come near her again and I will not be responsible for my actions." Rochard did not respond and the two men merely glared their hatred at one another.

"My word, Elijah," Isabella intervened. "I had heard that you were quite fond of your new...friend, but really the jealousy is uncalled for."

Eli threw her a scathing look. "As usual Isabella, you miss the mark." His livid cobalt gaze swept the three riders to settle on Rochard once again. "Stay off our land."

Rochard looked as though her were going to explode as Elijah nodded to Isabella and her brother, "If you will excuse us."

Devonny couldn't wheel Orion around fast enough, urging him into a gallop and not slowing until Kedleston came into sight. She was breathing hard when she led Orion into towards the stables with Eli close behind. He pulled Maddox to a halt, dismounted, and moved quickly to lift her down from her horse. He did not release her immediately, scrutinizing her face. "Are you alright?"

She nodded stiffly, mumbled, "I'm fine," and pulled out of his grasp before striding towards the house.

"Bernardo!" he called and the groomsman came out of the stables. Elijah tossed him the reins and went after Devonny who was already disappearing into the house.

Devonny walked swiftly, cursing under her breath. Lifting her skirts, she took the back stairs two at a time. She nearly ran down the hallway and turned the corner only to see Gabriel Davenport standing at her door. She swore softly and stopped short before quickly retreating back around the corner.

"Devonny!" Eli shouted, coming from the direction of the stairs. Devonny halted abruptly, caught. Surely Gabriel had heard him. She sighed, shoulders slumping as she waited for them to reach her.

Eli strode towards her looking piqued.

"Devonny?" Gabriel's voice sounded behind her, bewilderment evident in his tone.

Eli met his brother's gaze over Devonny's head, his face wearing an expression of gravity that was unusual on his generally amiable face.

Gabriel's brows drew together at the solemnity of Eli's countenance. "What is it?"

Eli glanced at Devonny who looked as though she wanted nothing more than to sink into the floor. She gave an almost imperceptible shake of her head.

Eli sighed and looked at Gabriel whose gaze was fixed on Devonny who was giving the floor her most devout attention.

Eli cleared his throat. "We were out riding when we encountered Isabella and her brother."

theDuskyGirl
theDuskyGirl
1,102 Followers