Distractions Ch. 10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
HotSprings22
HotSprings22
1,169 Followers

"In a few weeks actually." Ben came around his desk and handed me a stack of papers. "Of course, financial aid is available if you need it. Housing is provided. There's a list of books you will need, and the classes you will have to take.

I looked at him dumbfounded. I'd rushed here tonight just looking to hand in my application, and I was about to leave here, a medical school student.

"The program in California will only last for one semester and then you can come back here or stay in Cali if you like."

Ben folded his arms over his chest and smiled warmly. "You can close your mouth now."

I clamped my mouth shut and blushed. Holy shit. California?! Then my face fell. California? That was so far away. What about Brenden? I mentally rolled my eyes. Brenden would be fine. But what about Gavin? If I was gone for four months, or possibly longer, there was no way Gavin and I would work out. I could barely contain our situation when I was in the same town with him, how was I supposed to maintain things from across the country?

"Is everything all right? I thought you'd be happy." Ben stepped closer to me and I got a whiff of his expensive smelling cologne.

"Yea, everything is fine. I was just thinking."

"Thank you so much Dr. – Ben." I stuck my hand out, and he brought it to his lips. My eyes widened in surprise then narrowed.

"You are very welcome. Don't look at me like that. I didn't let you into medical school just so I could get your number."

I pulled my hand away. "Not cool."

"What? What's wrong with wanting to have dinner with a beautiful woman?"

I glared at him. There was no need to try and butter me up now. "Conflict of interest here? I'm sure you could see how one could misconstrue your intentions."

"If it makes you feel any better, I made my decision before I chose to ask you out to dinner. And not to mention, there's no more room in this school, only in Cali, which means that you getting into school there really doesn't affect anything I ask of you personally. Besides, I've seen you around the hospital. You work with several of my colleagues. Some of them have made remarks about a female that works in the OR, but they called her Red when they spoke of her."

My forehead knitted in confusion. "Then how did you –?"

Ben cut me off again. "You listed the hospital in your application as work experience. You also wrote down a few of my colleagues as references. Those were the same colleagues that spoke of you."

"Oh." I had no idea the surgeons I worked with even paid me attention.

I stood with my hands on my hips. "Is this semesters class really full, or are you just covering your ass so you can get my number?" There was no need to tone down the attitude now; I didn't want him to think I was trying to kiss his ass.

"I really like your frankness, Isabelle, and yes, this class if full. So either way I would still be offering you a seat in California – and I still will even if you decline my offer."

Ben was turning on his charm and it was working. When one door closes, another opens, right? But my door with Gavin wasn't closed, and I wasn't ready to open this one.

"I'm sorry Ben, but I have a boyfriend." That was the first time I'd said that word aloud, and it felt strange.

"Well lucky him." Ben reached into his pocket and pulled out a business card. He handed it to me and winked. "If you need anything, personal or professional, give me a call. In the mean time," he said switching back into his professional mode. "It's getting late and you have a big decision to make."

I thanked him again as he ushered me from his office. We walked down the hall and parted ways. Suddenly, remembering where my car was parked, I rushed outside.

_(*(*(-)*)*)_

I shuffled into the kitchen trying to stretch the kink out of my neck. I'd been sitting in front of the television for an ungodly amount of time trying to decide if I wanted to call Gavin. It was Friday, and I had yet to talk to him. I wanted to tell him Wilson was an asshole, and I wanted to tell him about my California offer. I wanted to be happy about getting into school, but without Gavin in on it, it just didn't feel right.

I sat back down at the table and stared at the paperwork for California. I needed to make a decision. I picked up the phone.

"Yea?" Gavin sounded like he didn't want to talk, but I was just happy he'd finally answered the phone.

"Hey," I said tentatively. "What are you doing tonight?"

"Guys night out." I could tell Gavin was clenching his teeth. I could practically hear them grinding over the phone.

"Oh, okay, well, call me later, okay?"

Click.

Obviously he was still bitter.

I sighed and tossed the phone on the table. I lifted up the next form and began filling it out. I don't know how long I sat at the table filling at forms and loan applications, but when my brother came through the door I finally looked up.

"Guys night out over already?" I asked after I glanced at the clock. "Its early."

"What are you talking about, I was at the gym." As proof, Brenden dropped his gym bag on the floor.

My heart sank.

"So I'm guessing you haven't been with Gavin?"

Bren shook his head and grabbed a bottle of water out of the refrigerator.

I jumped up from the table and snatched my keys off the counter. I was going to confront him – sweat pants, messy hair and all. This was ridiculous. I let him brood for long enough. My brother said noting as I brushed past him and left.

_(*(*(-)*)*)_

Gavin's car was outside and so was his bike. If he's here, he can't avoid me now. I shoved through the doors and headed for the stairs. I was almost to Gavin's floor when a pair of black pointy boots came into view.

I didn't want to look, but I had to.

Cassie looked just as startled to see me, as I was to see her. Her shock was first to wear off. Her surprised gasp was then replaced by a sly smile. Cassie slid a manicured hand to her face and dabbed at the corners of her mouth with her fingertips.

"Told ya so."

I stood there, in the stairwell of Gavin's apartment building, not thirty feet from his apartment door stunned. I couldn't even move as Cassie laughed and shoved past me. She kept walking down the stairs like nothing happened, but I still couldn't move. I could feel tears starting to sting my eyes and I fought to control my breathing.

Betrayal was ripping my insides and I couldn't push my feet any further. Tears clouded my vision and I couldn't even see where I was going as I rushed down the stairs.

If that's how Gavin felt about me, then fuck him. I tried controlling my sobs as I rushed down the stairs faster and faster, not caring if I fell at this point, I just wanted to get as far away from apartment 3C as I could; I was going to California.

_(*(*(-)*)*)_

I hope you enjoyed it, and as always, votes, feedback and comments are always welcome!!! Feel free to check my profile for updates.

Bianca

HotSprings22
HotSprings22
1,169 Followers