Doc Ch. 11

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
kingkey
kingkey
363 Followers

Still being stupidly belligerent, he claimed, "You shoot me, they'll hang you."

I'd about had enough of this dumbass – he was breathing air that decent people could put to much better use, and wasting my time. I'd figured it was about time to take out the trash, and was getting ready to fire when another shot rang out. A man with a US Marshal's badge stepped out of the crowd and ordered, "Hold it right there! You!" Indicating me, "Put up your weapon! And you," pointing at the drunk, "Stand away! Son, put your knife away, please. I think your mama is safe now. Now, somebody tell me what's going on here."

The dumbass who started it all, pointed drunkenly at me and declared, "This guy here is hogging all the women – said they're all his wives. 'T'ain't right! Why should he get all the women! They're just squaws anyway."

The marshal flinched and looked angry at the description of the women as 'just squaws', but he had to ask (and he looked impressed...), "Is that right? Are you married to all these women?"

Before I could answer, Grandpa spoke up. "That's right, Jack. Clay is married to those three and this one ismywife, Morning Dove. This dumbass tried to rape one of Clay's women, and when her young son tried to stop him, he beat the boy up. My boy here," he pointed at Jake, "came and fetched Clay and me. We found this idiot tryin' to make off with Dawn. Clay pulled his gun and fired at his feet to stop him. If it had been me, I think I would've just killed the jackass and asked questions later! I don't hold with rape, regardless of who the woman is, where she comes from, or who her people are, and neither do any of these decent folk. When he found out he couldn't have Dawn, the fool wanted the twins or MY wife. Clay had about enough and if you hadn't stopped it, he would have shot this fool dead like he deserves, and I'd have backed him all the way."

When the marshal heard Grandpa speak, it was obvious he recognized the voice. He looked more closely and queried, "Hank? Is that you? What are you doing in these parts? What's it been – 25 years?"

Grandpa grinned at his old friend, "Hello, Jack! Yup, it's me! I guess it must be about that long since I was a marshal. Don't seem like it, though. Heard there was a new marshal, but didn't know it was you."

The marshal interrupted, "Before we get too busy catchin' up Hank, I think I'd better finish this business first." Grandpa nodded agreement and waved as if to say, 'go ahead.' Then Jack spoke to the crowd. "Anyone here see what happened?"

A well dressed middle-aged lady spoke up, "Yes, most of us saw it from the start. Hank told it just like it happened. We all know Hank and his family and we know they are good people. That... thatmanthere," her voice filled with loathing and disgust as she pointed at the drunken miner, "started the whole thing." She huffed as only a good Victorian lady could. "It's getting so a decent lady cannot step outside her own house without being accosted by rowdies, ruffians and drunkards! They should be ashamed of themselves! This used to be a nice town before that lot came after the gold. It seems all they do is drink and make trouble, though!"

Several people in the crowd nodded and their voices could be heard agreeing and urging the Law to take tighter control of the town. The mood of the crowd was decidedly against them, so the miners, who were in a minority, wisely decided to slip quietly away, leaving the original troublemaker to face the marshal and the crowd on his own. When he saw all his so-called friends had disappeared, he became much less belligerent.

The marshal got right in his face. "You're lucky to be alive, ya damn fool! If I'd have caught you messing withmywife, I'm like Hank – I would have killed you before asking any questions at all! We don't need your kind of troublemaking in these parts! You and your raping kind have already stirred up enough trouble and there's no place for you inmytown!! Now git! I see you again, I'll lock you up and call Hank to shoot you!" Finally realizing he was in big trouble, the drunk turned and staggered away.

Jack turned to the crowd. "Thank you for your help, folks. Now, please move along about your business and let the dust settle. I'll make sure there's no more trouble."

The crowd dispersed quietly after that, and after Grandpa shook Jack's hand, he took up his tale to Jack as if there had been no interruption at all... "Good to see you after all these years, Jack. Let's see... After I quit the marshals, I joined up with my brother John and we started a ranch together about 6 miles north of here. Meet Clay – he's my brother's son. He just returned home a couple of days ago."

The marshal turned to me and as we shook hands, he observed, "You're pretty good with that pistol, but you also showed you wouldn't be suckered into shooting in cold blood. Were you ever a lawman like Hank was?"

I explained a little of my 'history', with just enough truth from my own time to make the story now plausible. "I was a deputy back east for awhile while I went to school. Then I joined the army medical corps. I just got out. Now I'm just a doctor looking to set up a practice hereabouts."

Jack had smiled almost happily when I told him I'd been a deputy once upon a time. Now, upon hearing I was a doctor, the smile faded a little as he looked thoughtful. "Hmmm... A doctor, huh? Hmmm..." Then he turned to Grandpa. "Hank, is there someplace we can all go to talk that's a little more private? I just started covering this area, and I don't know where everything is yet."

Grandpa told Jack, "Before that idiot went after our women folk and cuffed his boy around, Clay and I were just getting ready to go have a beer. I'm not sure how private we can be in a bar, but the one I was heading for is pretty good. I know the barkeep real well, and he'll make sure we're not disturbed. It sure beats standing out here on the sidewalk. If you want to join us, I'm buyin'."

Jack laughed and said, "Lead on, boys! I never turn down a free drink."

As the two old friends turned away, already catching up on the years they had missed together, I called after them, "You go on ahead. I'm going to check in with the women and make sure they're all right. I'll catch up with you. Where will you be?"

Grandpa replied, "Sounds like a plan, Clay – you look to your family. We'll be at Sam's place when you're ready. That's the second saloon down this way on the right." He shook his head and clucked his tongue in disbelieving disgust. "I can't believe how a town of less than three hundred can have 10 saloons now – there used to be only Sam's place. It's all these damn gold miners. The place is going to hell fast."

Grandpa and Jack strolled off talking together and from Grandpa's gestures I could tell he was still wound up over the number of saloons and all the problems that came with them and their drunken clientele.

Meanwhile, I turned back to my own affairs. I escorted the women back into the store and checked Standing Bear's injuries to make sure that they were no worse than bad bruises and that he was otherwise alright. To help bring the swelling down, I had Dawn place a damp cloth on his cheek and eye.

As I showed her how to treat Bear's bruises, Dawn nervously asked, "Why did you tell those men I was one of your wives and Standing Bear was your son?"

As I answered, my heart spoke for me, "This morning, the twins said I should ask you to marry me. They had some very good reasons why they thought it was a good idea, but I told them I had to think on it. When I saw you were in trouble, I didn't need to think anymore – my family was being attacked, it made me mad and I just spoke what I felt was the truth. I saw you being dragged away and it 'bout broke my heart.

"Then I saw Standing Bear all beat up, still trying to stop that ape, and I felt so proud of him, just as if he was my own son. In a flash, I realized how much I've come to care for you two, and that the twins were right! Standing Bear is a good boy but he still needs a father and you're a wonderful, beautiful woman who needs a family to support and care for her. So, seeing as how I already claimed you were in public, will you be my wife and Standing Bear my son?"

Dawn seemed dubious and unsure of herself. "But you have two wives already! I'm not as young and pretty as they are, and I still have shame for what Two Knives did to you."

As I listened to her, I was convinced even more that I was doing the right thing. "What are you talking about? I already said you were beautiful, and I don't say things like that lightly. I'll say it one more time, and then I don't want to hear any more about it. You're very pretty,beautiful, even. You don't think that dumbass grabbed you first because you were ugly, do you? He tried for the best looking one.

"Not only are you still pretty, but you have experience raising sons and running a household that you can only get by being older. You will make a good wife to me and be like an older sister to the twins, teaching all of us about life and love.

"As for Two Knives – what he did was a mistake that cost him dearly and he paid the price with his life. There is no shame in that for you. He did it because he was in love with Little Doe and he could not stand the thought of losing her. I didn't want to kill him because I understood why he was doing it, but he couldn't stand it. I'm sure when he attacked me from behind he knew that he would die before he ever got to me. He was young, headstrong and maybe foolish, but I'm sure he never intended to dishonor his family.

"Please believe me when I say both you and Bear will be welcome as full members of our family. If you're still not sure, talk to the twins. They'll tell you exactly the same thing. After all, it was them that mentioned it to me in the first place. Anyway, think about what I've said."

As I wound down, Dawn looked quite relieved. I think I had soothed most of her concerns. She smiled wanly then said. "I accept if the other wives tell me it is OK." I grinned because I knew what the twins thought already. As far as I was concerned, it was a done deal.

The boys had all been watching and listening quietly while I talked to Dawn. When I finished, I turned to them and praised them. "You boys did real well protecting the family and coming to get me when you did. I'm proud of you all. Now let's try to relax a bit after all the fuss. Here's a dime to buy some candy. Brad, you're the oldest, so you look after the money. Remember, it's for all of you so I expect you to share it evenly." Brad took the coin and assured me he'd do like I said.

Then I addressed Standing Bear directly, "I told you earlier, and you heard what I told your mama just now: Two Knives was not a coward. He just made a mistake and let his heart rule his head. You made meveryproud, the way you protected your mother and the other ladies against someone so much bigger than you! Even though you were hurt, you still stood your ground. If you will have me, I'd be very proud to be your father." I could see his young body swell with pride at my praise. He finally understood that his brother was not a coward and that he and his mother had been accepted. I knew he would be alright now.

I left the family happily shopping and walked down to meet Grandpa and the marshal in the saloon. I ordered a beer at the bar and then carried it over to join them. As I sat at the table where he and Jack were sipping their mugs of beer and quietly talking, I heard him telling his friend about us finding the dead prospectors. "Jack, they were killed to make itlooklike Indians did it, but the arrows were Crow, not Sioux, and they were robbed! Now, Indians would have taken their weapons, horses and some of their gear, but they would have little use for their money or gold. These men were all fully dressed and still had their guns, but their valuables were gone. Even more importantly, all the tracks were made by boots. Do you know very many war parties that all wear boots? It's obvious, to me and Clay anyway, that someone is trying to stir up the Indians or make them look bad so the government takes away their land."

Jack had listened patiently, sipping his beer and looking troubled. "I can see that Hank, and you, Clay and me, ain't the only ones who think so. That's why I'm here. I was sent from Fort Laramie to try to stop the trouble brewing in the Black Hills and try to keep another Indian War from starting. Are you aware of what happened to Custer?"

I answered, "I was one of the doctors at Fort Laramie until a few weeks ago. The news broke just before I left."

Jack sat up. "I thought I recognized you. But... I was told you were dead..."

I shrugged as if it was no big deal. "I was out of the fort treating a case of typhoid. By the time I got it under control, we had lost four men. When it took so long and they hadn't heard from me, but heard we'd lost that many, they just thought I was one of the casualties. By the time I got back, they thought I was dead and since my enlistment was up anyway, I just processed out and returned home. I guess they just didn't get the paper work right, 'cause all my belongings and back pay were shipped home to Uncle Hank as my last kin."

"Damn government types never could get anything right!" Jack grunted; then said very seriously, "Clay, you could be a big help to me. I have a lot of area to cover – and no help. You know the people here, and from what Hank tells me, you're on good terms with Red Cloud too. As a doctor, you're going to be in all the different towns around here and getting to know more of the people. Folks will talk to you easier than they would to me.

"What I'm sayin' is, I would like you to be one of my deputies. Hank tells me you need some money coming in. The pay is $50 a month, which gives you a regular income you can count on. You might make more doctoring, but there ain't no guarantee it will be very regular, and lots of folks won't be able to pay much, if anything."

I was getting uncomfortable. I wouldn't mind being a deputy, but I had my heart set on the doctoring. Jack saw the conflict in my face and hurried to reassure me. "Don't misunderstand me, Clay – you can keep up your doctoring as well. Either job has you moving around the country, and while you're doing one, you can be doing the other. You can help a lot of people and at the same time help to keep the peace.

"We don't need this to be another war zone. Custer was a fool, but what happened to him is going to be held against the Indians. Regardless of how it happened, the fact he was massacred has put fear into Washington. I really like this lease idea for the settlers already here that your uncle has been telling me about and especially the inspiration of leasing the gold claims. If Hank can pull it off, that should really help Washington understand how to deal with the greed of the miners. I agree with you fellers, they will enforce a written contract a lot better than they ever would a treaty. In theory, they're very similar concepts, but in practice, I guess there's a difference between dealing with a business rather than a people. Don't make sense, but that's how it is."

Just then I spotted Jake peeking in the saloon doors. I drew Grandpa's attention to it, and he called out, "Come here, Jake. What is it?"

Hearing his father call him in, Jake lost his shyness and raced in. "There's a whole bunch of people over at store looking for Clay. Mama sent me over to get him."

My first thought was more trouble from dumbasses, and demanded, "Are they causing more trouble? Are the women OK?"

Jake didn't seem very upset and I breathed a sigh of relief at his reply. "I think so. The people are just asking to see the Doctor."

I thought the women hadn't wasted any time in putting out the word there was now a doctor in town. I started to get up to leave and said, "Seems the word is out. Looks like I need to go to work."

Jack held up his hand to stop me and said, "Just a minute, Clay. We ain't finished yet. You never said for sure about being a deputy. Will You? Sorry to rush you, but I won't be in town for long, and you're going to be busy, looks like."

I had already decided when Jack told me I could do both at the same time, and even a dummy like me understood the good I could do for folks. "I'm sorry, Jack, I thought you understood it was OK with me. Yes, I'll be glad to be your deputy."

Jack became the official Marshall as be directed me, "Hold up your right hand. Do you swear to uphold the constitution of the United States and the laws of the territories, so help you God?"

I did as he said, and with my right hand up, I solemnly declared, "I do."

Reaching into his pocket, Jack handed me a badge. He said, "Congratulations! You're now a Deputy US Marshal."

"So what do I do now?"

Jack's instructions were simple. "You've been a lawman before, so I don't have to tell you all the fine details of how to do your job. Keep your ears open. Try to defuse any trouble, and uphold the law to the best of your ability. If you need me, you can contact me at Fort Laramie, but basically you're on your own. From what I saw of you in action today, I'm sure I can trust your good judgment."

"Should I wear the badge all the time?"

Jack couldn't resist a little gallows humor, "Might give them something to aim at. Seriously, though, I'd say just put it on when you need it. Those that want or need to know that you're the Law will find out soon enough."

With nothing else holding me there, I left Sam's place and walked back to the store. When I got there, I found several people waiting. It seemed that just like any other small town, the store was the place to gather and discuss business, trade goods or just to socialize with their neighbors. There were four people there to actually see me as the doctor.

Before I saw any patients, though, I first went to see Mr. Miller the storekeeper and asked if there was any place I could examine the patients privately. He told me he had a few cabins around back. He said each cabin had a small kitchen area and a separate bedroom.

I asked how much to rent two of them, as it looked like some days I would be staying in town. He told me he would rent them to me for $5 a month. I figured they probably needed a good cleaning before I used them, and Mr. Miller agreed to let me use the back room of the store for today.

Next, I asked to see what he had on hand for medicine. When he showed me, I was surprised at the amount of patent medicine on his shelf. Upon looking through them, I saw that while most was just junk, there were some powders, ointments, salves, liniments and clean linen bandages – all extremely useful. I realized that this store was probably typical, and I would be able to get most of my everyday supplies easily, allowing me to keep my personal kit stocked up, and making the use of some of my specialized supplies for mundane tasks unnecessary, thus keeping them for their intended use.

I fetched my bag in from the wagon and got set up to see my first patients. My wives would help me with the patients while Grandma watched the boys.

The first man I saw what appeared to be an insect bite on his hand. When I asked how long ago it had happened, he said he had been stung by a bee three days before. It was quite swollen and he said it was very painful. He was right to seek help. Usually a simple bee sting stops hurting and the swelling goes away after a few hours. For it to last this long indicated another problem.

Using a small scalpel, I opened the swollen sting, and once I had wiped off the pus, I found the stinger still stuck in the wound. I removed it with a pair of tweezers. I gave Little Doe some money and had her buy me some straight grain alcohol and bandages from the storekeeper. I used the alcohol to wash out and disinfect the wound and wrapped with a linen bandage. I told him to keep it clean and wrapped for a few days. It should be fine after that, but if it got worse to send for me. I charged him two dollars.

kingkey
kingkey
363 Followers