Doing The Right Thing

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
DG Hear
DG Hear
5,689 Followers

"Why are you doing this? Don't you have family you can help out instead of a stranger?"

"Listen, my wife passed away two years ago. She was killed in a car accident."

"God, I'm so sorry for you."

"It's okay, Carmen. Anyway, my holidays have been pretty lousy and I wanted to try helping someone else be happy this year. I have three grown children. My son's in his thirties and a daughter is twenty-nine, I think. They are both married and have families of their own. I have a younger daughter who is a senior in college who is going to England over Christmas. None of them has a financial hardship. So, what do you say? Are we friends for the holidays?"

"You have a kind face, Dan; I'm going to say yes for my kids' sake. Please, no tricks, my family and I have been through a lot this past year. So, what do you need from me?"

"A coffee refill would be a nice start and an idea of some of your needs."

She poured the coffee and told me she needed to get back to work. Joe was nice but she needed to do her job. We agreed to talk after she got off of work the next day. I invited her out for dinner but she told me she had to be there for her kids but that I could come to her place and talk with her there. I could even have dinner with them if I liked macaroni and cheese.

"Tell you what Carmen, I'll stop by and pick up a pizza and we can have that. Is pepperoni and cheese alright?"

She smiled, "That would be great but you better bring two pizzas. My eight year old can eat a half of one himself."

I stopped by her place that evening. I didn't realize it was in the projects. For those who don't know about such places, they are publicly assisted by welfare or children services. These organizations help with the rent, food and such. The bad part is that it's not a good place to live. Lots of drugs and undesirables usually live there. Now I knew I wanted to help Carmen and her kids out more than anything.

I was greeted at the door by her eight-year-old son. He was a good-looking boy and asked me what I wanted. I explained to him that I was the pizza delivery guy and his mom invited me over.

He had a big grin on his face and said, "Mom said a friend of hers was bringing us pizza tonight. We don't get store bought pizza very often."

As I was walking in, two other kids came up to me yelling, "Pizza, pizza, mom, the pizza guy's here," yelled the six year old.

Carmen came in from the other room. I could tell she went to straighten up the place a little. "Kids, where are your manners? I thought I taught you to act nice around company."

"Sorry, Mom, we were just kind of excited." Her oldest son looked over at me. "We don't get a lot of company. Can we have the pizza now?"

"Kids, this is Dan, a friend of mine. You can call him, Uncle Dan or Mr. Dan..."

I interrupted Carmen, "Or just call me Dan. What are your names?"

The oldest spoke first. "I'm Mike and I'm eight years old."

Then the second one said, "I'm Mark and I'm six. That's my little sister Molly..."

"Let me talk," said Molly. "I know who I am. I'm Molly and I'm four going on five. I go to pre-school and I'm pretty smart." She was the sweetest little girl and looked like her mother.

Everyone dug in and started eating pizza. I glanced around the room and could tell that they were a struggling family. The furniture was old and they didn't seem to have a lot of things. Of course I had only seen the kitchen and the living room. The TV was on but the picture didn't look the greatest.

While the kids were eating their pizza and watching cartoons on the TV, I asked Carmen what she would like help with.

"Oh, God, I wasn't prepared for this. Look, the kids and I are doing pretty good. We eat pretty good but they like what other kids have and I just can't afford to get it for them. You saw our stupid TV, with its lousy picture. I got basic cable so they would have something to watch. We buy our clothes at second hand stores but they are happy with whatever they get. They are really terrific kids. I'm afraid to buy bikes or anything that we have to leave outside. I know it will get stolen. So, Dan, take it from there. My kids will be happy with anything they get."

"Okay, I'll see what I can help with. Your kids really seem to be pretty good."

"Mike, since you're the oldest do you think everyone would like to go to the movies Saturday. I hear there's a new Harry Potter movie out."

"Wow, that would be great. Mom, can we go? Can we?"

"I guess so, but only if you kids are good the rest of the week."

"Carmen, you know that includes you too. Maybe we can eat at McDonald's while we're at it."

Molly looked up at me. "I like McDonald's. They have a happy meal and a playground and everything."

"Okay, Molly, you be good for mommy and we'll go there Saturday."

The kids were happy and Carmen was smiling. I decided this idea of mine was going pretty good. Making them happy sure made me happy.

This went on for a few weekends. We would take the kids places where they could just have fun. I would stop by Joe's for lunch and always sit in Carmen's area. I started to leave her large tips of ten dollars or so.

"Dan, you don't need to do that. Just making my kids happy is all I need."

"So, you don't need the money?" I smiled.

"That's not fair, Dan. Of course I can use the money. It's just that... just that I feel awkward for the lack of a better word. I feel I owe you for all you're doing for my kids. Can I make Thanksgiving dinner for you or something? I need to do something for you too."

"Let me talk with my kids and see what's on the agenda and I'll get back to you. Carmen, I'm doing this for you because it makes me happy. I like helping people who try to help themselves. Please don't feel you owe me. Just seeing the look on the kids' faces is more than enough payback. Besides, seeing you smile is a delight in itself"

I could see it embarrassed her slightly as she looked away.

Mandy came home one weekend and asked me what was new. I told her about Carmen and how I was trying to help her out.

"Dad, do you think it's a good idea? You don't really know this woman."

"Honey, it's giving me a new meaning in life to help someone out and to watch the faces on these little kids. I honestly feel better because of what I'm doing. I initiated the conversation with Carmen. I want you to meet Carmen and you tell me what you think."

"I don't know, Dad, I feel kind of funny about this. You say they live in the projects? Isn't that a pretty bad area for a single woman and her kids?"

"Exactly, which is why I'm trying to help them. Maybe, just maybe, it will help them get on their feet. Mandy, you've always been my little girl and now you've grown up into a beautiful woman. You don't really need my help as much anymore so I guess I feel I need to help someone. I'll tell you what. I'll ask Carmen to come over so you can meet her and the kids and you give me your opinion."

"Okay, Dad, but no promises. I'll be as honest as I can with you. I won't sugarcoat it."

I knew Mandy was a little worried. She was my rock and always looked after me. I know she would tell me the truth. She was a lot like me. Lying wasn't in her character.

On Saturday, I invited Carmen and the kids to my house. It was a bit chilly out but I decided to cook on the grill anyway. I figured while I was grilling outside Mandy would be doing her own grilling of another kind on the inside.

Carmen showed up in kind of a wreck of a car. She had all the kids buckled in and was undoing the seat belts when Mandy looked over at me.

"Nice car, Dad," she said, meaning the opposite of course.

"Why do you think I'm helping them? What would you have said if she drove up in a new car?"

"Good point, Dad. That's one for you," she smiled.

Mike and Mark ran up to me. "Hi, Uncle Dan. Wow! Do you live here? Wow! What a big house."

I introduced the boys to Mandy while Carmen was getting Molly out of the car. "Mike, Mark, this is my little girl, Mandy."

"Hi boys, glad to meet you," replied Mandy.

"Hi, I'm Mike and I'm eight and Mark is six. That's Molly getting out of the car. She's our little sister. She's four."

Molly came up to me and I picked her up. Mandy was watching me closely.

"Molly's my little friend. She pretty much holds her own against her brothers, kind of like you use to do," I laughed.

"Carmen, this is Mandy, my pride and joy as well as my youngest daughter."

As they said their hellos to each other, I could almost feel both of their brains at work. Finally Carmen smiled at Mandy and said, "Look, I know this is different. I know you have a boatload of questions about who I am and what I'm doing here. I've been asking myself some of the same questions. Let's just enjoy the day and I'll try to answer some of those questions. I think your dad is one of the nicest people I have ever met. So show me the kitchen and we can cook together. Men think that because they cook the meat that the grilling is a whole dinner. We women know better."

Mandy looked over at me. "I like her already, Dad." They smiled at each other and we headed into the house.

The kids wanted to explore the house. I told them it was alright but to stay out of drawers and no running. They went from room to room and came back and told their mom everything they saw. They asked if they could watch my big screen TV, so I asked them if they wanted to go to the store with me and pick out a couple of DVD's to watch. Of course they said, "Yes," and Molly asked if she could come too.

Carmen interjected, "Molly, why don't you stay here with me and Mandy and help us cook. We girls should hang together."

She must have said the right thing to Molly because Molly looked at me and said, "Uncle Dan, you take the boys and go ahead. I have to help the girls cook." It was so funny hearing that from a four year old.

I told her okay and that I would rent a movie just for her. I did end up renting, 'The Little Mermaid' for her and she really smiled when she watched it. She asked Mandy and her mommy to watch it with her. She told the boys they could watch it too but they had to be quiet. It was so funny to hear her trying to act like a grownup.

It was decided between the girls that we would have Thanksgiving at our house. Carmen and Mandy would make the dinner and I had to keep the kids occupied, which wasn't very hard to do.

I had a pool but it was closed for the winter; however I also own a hot tub. The kids were going to bring their swimsuits over and go in it. After that, they would watch movies on the big TV set.

We had over a month to plan Thanksgiving dinner so Mandy said she would contact Brad and Janice and let them know about dinner at our house. She would tell them about Carmen and the kids too. Also, for anyone who wanted to go in the hot tub to bring swimwear.

I had a nice talk with Mandy after Carmen and the kids went home.

"Dad, Carmen is really a nice person. She is extremely helpful and not afraid of work. She told me about her past and husband being killed. It was terrible, everything she has been put through. I can see why you want to help her out, especially with the kids. She doesn't make excuses for her life and you can tell she's really trying to keep it together. I have to tell you, Dad, that I think she really cares for you."

"Of course she would. I'm helping her and her family out. I would hope she is grateful, at least a little."

"No, Dad, I mean care as in 'like a lot', maybe even love."

"She didn't say that, did she?"

"Dad, she didn't have to. We women can sense these things. I think you're falling for her too, Dad. All I ask is that you be very careful and aware."

"Come on, Mandy, I'm just happy for her."

"This is the happiest I've seen you since mom passed away over two years ago, Dad. I'm glad to see you happy; I just want you to be more aware of your situation."

I knew Mandy was right. I was having feelings - strong feelings - toward Carmen and the kids. I didn't know where they were going to lead but I was aware of it. I just didn't know anyone else was as observant.

I got separate calls from Brad and Janet. I did my best to explain how I was helping out Carmen during the holidays and that I got the family's name from the tree at church. I guess I sugarcoated it pretty good. I explained to them that Carmen wanted to say 'Thank you' by helping cook Thanksgiving dinner. I knew they were a little leery of the situation but agreed to come for dinner.

For the next couple of weeks Carmen and Mandy helped set up all the arrangements. They were almost acting like sisters, Carmen being the older one doing most of the planning. Of course, Mandy was going to school most of the week and coming home on Fridays. I would stop almost daily for lunch at the restaurant and mainly to see Carmen. I stopped by her apartment at least twice a week to say hi to the kids and bring them some kind of a treat. Carmen told me I was spoiling them.

I should tell you that it did bother me a little when I watched Carmen at her job. She was always so friendly and nice to everyone. I could see men hitting on her but she always smiled and refused any advances or dates. I guess it was just a natural thing with me. I had no right to be jealous of her even dating let alone just being friendly with other people.

Chapter 3 – Making a Difference

On Thanksgiving Day, Carmen and the kids showed up early. She looked so pretty. She wasn't dressed really special but even in a skirt and blouse she was a very attractive woman. She and Mandy were already getting started on the cooking. Mandy had told us she invited her boyfriend over for dinner also. I had met him a few times; he was a paramedic and still taking classes part time at the college where he met Mandy who was taking nurses training. They were both part of the group going to England to help out in a hospital during the holiday season. They would be leaving a week before Christmas and coming home on January 8th of next year. It was less than a month but it would be sad not having her here during that time.

Brad and his wife Gail and two of my grandchildren came in. I hugged them all and the kids asked when they could go in the hot tub? I told them later, I wanted them to meet some other kids. I introduced them to Mike, Mark and Molly. All the kids seem to get along fine. We walked into the kitchen and Mandy hugged her brother and proceeded to introduce Carmen.

"Brad, Gail, this is Carmen. A good friend of dad's and mine." I felt good when she said that.

Brad said hello but I knew the gears in his head were turning.

Gail said, "Hello," and asked the girls if they needed help. Before anyone got back to cooking, in came Janice and her husband Rob. We started through all the introductions again and Jan's kids ran down to the basement to play with the rest of the kids. We kept a number of games and coloring books and the like for the kids to play with in the basement. It was completely redecorated and had a TV and DVD player so the kids would have plenty to do.

The women got back to cooking and we guys tried to stay out of their way. I knew the guys wanted to know more about Carmen. I tried to explain her story to them without showing my feelings. I don't think I was doing a very good job of it.

"She's a good looking girl, Dad. How old is she, about my age?" asked Brad.

"She's thirty-one, Brad. She's a great person and deserves a little help."

Rob inserted, "Dad," he always called me dad. "Aren't you a little afraid that she might fall for you or you for her?"

"Look, I'm a widower and she is a widow. Granted she is a lot younger but if something happens so be it."

"Dad, you haven't had... been with her, have you?"

"That's kind of uncalled for and definitely personal, Brad. Since you're my son, I'll tell you. No, believe it or not, I haven't even tried to kiss her. I'll tell you right now that she's a great lady and I do care for her."

"Sorry, Dad, I know it's none of my business and you probably miss mom. After all it's been two years."

"This has nothing to do with your mother. In case you haven't noticed, I'm very much alive and if I find someone attractive, then it's my business. I suggest we change the subject. In fact, we better go check on all the kids. Your wives are doing the cooking and you two better do some baby sitting."

We did go downstairs and watched the kids. Carmen's kids seemed like they were getting along fine. Every few minutes Molly came to me to talk. I knew it bothered Brad but Rob thought she was the cutest little girl.

Mandy came downstairs and brought her boyfriend Ross down to meet everyone. I'd met him a number of times and I think he had met Brad before. After the introductions, Mandy went back upstairs and Ross joined in the conversation.

"I just met Mandy's friend Carmen. She sure is a nice looking woman. Mandy told me her husband was killed. Sure is a bummer."

I called over Carmen's kids and introduced them to Ross.

"Nice kids. Too bad their dad was killed. I think it's great you helping them out, Mr. Weller."

"Thanks, Ross. I picked a name off the tree at church and actually found a family really in need." I didn't want anyone to know that I asked Pastor Jim for a specific type family.

"Well, Ross, what's the latest with you? School and work must take a lot of your time."

"Yes, it does, but we are taking that trip in a couple weeks even though it's work related; I'll have a chance to get away for awhile and be with Mandy."

"How's it going with you and Mandy?" asked Brad.

Ross looked over at me and then back over at Brad. "I love her and was thinking about asking her to marry me when we are in England, in front of Big Ben - you know, the big clock. Mr. Weller, do I have your permission to ask her?"

"Ross, you don't need my permission. Mandy is a strong willed woman and is very capable of making her own decisions. If it's my blessing that you want, you have it. Is this a for sure thing? This asking her?"

"I think so, but please, none of you mention it just in case. I'm going to try and find out if she's ready to get married before popping the question. I love her but want to get a 'yes' answer," he replied.

"Our lips are sealed, Ross, and good luck to you." I knew what he was feeling. The truth be known I felt similar to him but knew better then to talk about it right now.

The day went great. The dinner was fantastic and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves. The kids all took turns in the hot tub. I couldn't get any of the adults to go in it.

Carmen told me, "Maybe another time." I knew I was going to hold her to it.

As the evening wore on, Mandy and Ross left to be alone for a while. I was helping Carmen clean up some of the mess. Janice and Gail came in and helped. After we finished, Brad and his family were getting ready to leave. Brad told Carmen it was nice meeting her and good luck to her. He hoped everything worked out for her.

Janice pulled me aside before she left. "Dad, Carmen is a nice person but she's too young for you."

"Where did that come from? I'm helping her out."

"Dad, she loves you, any fool can see that. We asked her if she's dating and she told us she had a boyfriend. Dad, you're that boyfriend. Otherwise she wouldn't have come here today. Just be careful, Dad."

After everyone had left, Carmen gathered up the kids and told me that she had a wonderful time. She liked my family and thought they were all nice. I don't know why I did it but I leaned forward and kissed her. It was a long soft kiss. When we pulled away, she had a tear in her eye.

"You shouldn't have done that, Dan. I have to go." She took the kids who quickly said goodbye to me and got in the car.

I walked up to the car window and told Carmen, "I'm so very sorry. I crossed the line. Please forgive me."

DG Hear
DG Hear
5,689 Followers