Dragon Clans Bk. 02 Pt. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Vjax
Vjax
947 Followers

In another room on the opposite side of the estate, Sin-Cho lay wrapped in Katsimoto's arms. Another nightmare had awoken her.

"Will they never end, Katsimoto? Will I always be plagued by the memories?"

Katsimoto felt the young woman's fear, and pain, and shame, as she wept against his chest. For the thousandth time Katsimoto wished he could reverse time, and save Sin from demons that he feared would forever plague her.

------

The dawn was a mere whisper on the horizon as Michael awakened. Valerie and Tera had done their level best to bring him to a point of abject exhaustion the evening before. Now, in the cool darkness, Michael lay between his two mates. Valerie was curled into the crook of his shoulder, her hair lying like tangled silk across his chest. Tera lay on the other side face down, head tilted toward him, his hand held within hers under her body.

As comfortable as Michael felt, the impending dawn beckoned him to leave his warm cocoon, and begin his day.

Pulling gently away from Tera and rolling softly from Valerie he stood. Stretching his arms up, he got the minor kinks out of his body. The kinks were more from Tera and Valerie's acrobatics the evening before, than anything to do with the bed.

With a smile Michael padded to the bathroom to take care of his morning necessities, and grab some clothes.

Sliding the traditional rice paper door closed, wearing sweat pants and shirt with his old sneakers, Michael left in search of a cup of coffee.

The compound, for all its historic significance, was not locked within the medieval era of its construction. Diffuse lighting at the floors and ceiling illuminated the hallways, sometimes reflecting off of and at other spots back lighting the finely detailed rice paper walls. It put off the aura of a cloister locked in its own separate universe, untouched by the goings on of the outside world.

'If only such a place actually existed.'

Michael's wayward thought brought an unexpected response.

"Life, the universe, time ... all of these things are dictated by each of us individually. There is no constant to them, only the ever shifting perspective of those who perceive them to be so."

'Good morning, Ryujin.'

Michael's thoughts went out to the ancient sea dragon in much the same way as they did with Aoife. With Ryujin, however, there seemed to be more of a pull to them, than with his own crimson matriarch.

"Those that are to lead have always felt this difference. You are the ones who share a common bond with all the aspects that make up the greater clan. Attuned to Aoife you are in a very distinct way, it will be different with me and the others you will commune with."

'That seems logical. However, it is difficult when dealing with Aoife ... or you, Ryujin ... always to be logical. Even with the facts that I know ... what I have seen, touched, heard, and felt ... giving proof and hard evidence to the facts ... I find that the interactions always take on a much more ethereal quality than pure fact can accommodate.'

"In the early era of your kind, Michael, when humanity was just beginning to assert itself as the next power on this planet, humans who would encounter our kind viewed us as gods. They had no frame of reference, no science, no history, no collective belief system that would give explanation to our design."

"Your perspective on interacting with our kind is born from every movie, story, myth, legend and tale about us. For you to interact, to ... have faith in your destiny ... requires you to view us as having a mystical component. This will pass, with time."

Michael pondered this as he reached first floor, the hall turning from delicate wood and rice paper constructs to the solid stone foundation that held up the fortress.

'I see your point, Ryujin. I thank you for the insight, it gives me a clearer perspective.'

"I am pleased to provide such Michael."

Michael found himself at a crossroads, left deeper into the fortress proper or right to the early predawn mountains.

Turning toward the exit, and the call of the sunrise, coffee was forgotten as Michael once again let his thoughts loose, pulled into the tide of Ryujin's consciousness.

'When will we meet, Ryujin? How does one know the proper time for such things?'

Ryujin's deep laugh ebbed and flowed through Michael's mind, as he was hit by a cool breeze upon stepping into the pale blue black of the coming day.

"As with most things, probably when you least expect it."

And with that Michael felt Ryujin recede from his consciousness, he found it not quite as abrupt as when Aoife did the same.

"Like a light switch and a dimmer switch." Michael whispered as he took in his surroundings trying to decide the best path for a run.

Cliffs and the gentle rumble of the sea called from the west. To the east, a stone path lead off on a winding course into the dark quiet forest and up the mountain.

Tightening his laces he set off at a gentle pace toward the winding path. The quiet seemed to be the order of the day.

From a high rampart Onji watched as Michael ran down the path and into the forest.

"Interesting that he did not choose the cliffs."

His words were both spoken and thought with purpose. Ryujin's response almost immediate.

"Had he chosen the cliffs, the same statement would be true."

Onji nodded his head before turning back into his office. Nicholas has landed in Singapore and he needed to meet with Nigel and Katsimoto to get their take on this development.

-------

Tera's muscles burned with the exertion her opponent had forced her to put forth in the simple sparing match.

Awakening to find Michael gone and Valerie still at least an hour from waking, she had slipped quietly from the bed her mind on a workout.

The open-air dojo was deserted when she entered. On the west side of the compound it was cooled by the ever-present ocean winds. The sound of waves continuously beating upon the cliff side far below provided a unique background cadence as Tera began her katas.

The low light and her intense concentration on the forms found her for an instant startled by the gentle "good morning Tera-San." that Katsimoto offered.

Breaking from her kata, Tera slowly turned to regard the young man.

Late twenties, dressed only in traditional gi pants, his dark hair tied in a long ponytail that draped over his left shoulder stood out in relief against his pale skin. He gave her a medium bow as her eyes found his.

"Good morning Katsimoto-San, I hope I am not intruding by using this space, it is a very focusing place to work."

"You are not intruding at all Tera, and please just Katsimoto is fine when we are alone, I am not quite as formal as the honorable Onji-San. Yes this is a special place, it has been used for martial training, meditative training and healing for many centuries, it has a special energy that I quite enjoy. Would you mind if I joined you for my own morning exercise.?"

Tera regarded him for a moment before answering. He had slowly walked closer to her as he spoke. Now with closer proximity she saw that his upper body was well defined and muscular, not bulky but lithe and hard, the body of one who takes particular care of their instrument.

"I would be honored to share the space with you."

Her answer was noted with a short nod and small smile and Katsimoto moved off a few yards and closing his eyes began running through his own katas.

With a final glance at her companion Tera fell back into the focus of the movements and soon became lost in them.

The sun made itself known by illuminating the dojo pavilion, casting a pale orange light over well worn wheat colored mats and fire red columns that held up the arched tiled roof. Tera drank half of her water, before pouring the other half over her head. Completing what she felt had been one of her most rigorous and finely performed workouts, she wondered at the reason why this place would bring out such a clarity of focus in something she had done hundreds of times.

As if reading her thoughts, Katsimoto, just finished his own forms, spoke.

"This place has a unique effect on ones chi. It allows us to be far more balanced, more ... focused, than normal. One of the things I miss most when traveling are my mornings started here, where water meets rock, wind meets sky."

"It is most amazing, I haven't ever been so consumed by the forms, truly felt that as I moved from one to the next that each was a fluid part of a completed whole motion."

Katsimoto was surprised by Tera's insight considering this was her first interaction with the dojo. It had taken many months before he himself had come to the same realization.

"It is even more profound when sparring, when the opposing chi's move and flow in response to another's. Would you honor me with a brief match?"

Katsimoto's request was given while bowing deeply at the waist, revealing that the request was one asked from a place of honor and equality.

Matching Katsimoto's bow Tera's responded.

"The honor, Katsimoto-San, would be mine."

They had started slowly. Circling one another, getting a feeling for the others motion and timing.

Tera was not surprised when Katsimoto made the first move.

The low sweeping kick aimed at her shins was perfectly executed with a speed and agility that Tera had never witnessed.

Nevertheless, as Tera's focus intensified the motion seemed to slow to a crawl.

Jumping up and spinning at the same time, Katsimoto's kick met only air as it moved through the space where Tera had been but a moment before. Seemingly hanging in the air for a moment Tera watched as Katsimoto completed the 360' arc of his kick before almost instantaneously striking up and out with his right arm, hand extended for a strike to where he anticipated she would now be. Tera watched the muscles and tendons of his arm flex, the compression of his abdominals as they prepared to release their core strength into the strike.

Katsimoto had missed the forward momentum in Tera's jump, reading it as being straight up, his strike intended for her kidneys as she twisted in mid air.

Tera landed deep inside his defenses, extended as he was, left arm tucked behind his body for balance he could only smile as he felt her fingertips gently close over his throat.

They stood for a moment before parting, a small bow as they readied themselves again, before each unleashed their personal storms of fists and feet and knee to test the other.

After a half an hour of give and take sparing, neither gaining or losing ground, it was Katsimoto who finally bowed deeply and stepped off the mat.

"It has been an honor Tera-San, Nigel had told me that your skill was keen, I had no idea what an understatement that was."

Taking deep gulping breaths, Tera could only smile and nod for a few moments as she toweled the sweat from her body. Once she regained herself, she sat next to Katsimoto.

"It was a pleasure Katsimoto-San, that is probably the best workout I have ever had, I have never met or seen your equal."

"As you know, it takes a lifetime to become proficient, and the process never stops, you have an innate ability to focus that I sorely lack."

The two sat in companionable silence as the sun rose behind them, the ethereal gray of the dawn giving way to the light of the new day just born.

Both noticed Nigel coming from the fortress toward them, both knew that the look on his face did not bode well for the chance of another easy dawn anytime soon.

"Nicholas is on the move! We need to get briefed."

Tera & Katsimoto rose and followed Nigel back to the fortress, each giving the other a brief bow as they left the confines of the dojo, understanding that such practice, while good for body, mind and spirit came with the price of violence, when necessary.

-----

Michael set an even pace as he wound his way through the barely clear path up the gentle slope of the mountain. The elevation was much higher than he was use to and he found the slower modulated pace helped him to compensate.

A low mist hung just above his head as the Japanese Beech trees towered above him, their tops lost to its gray haze. It gave the impression of running through a low tunnel with no sense of time or destination.

Rounding a group of large stone outcroppings about thirty minutes into his run he found a quiet stone lined pool within a break in the trees. A shear granite wall blocked his way further up as it rose into the mist and out of site. Steam rose from the placid surface as Michael sat at its edge to catch his breath before starting back to the fortress.

The moments stretched, time seemed to pause. Michael dipped his hand into the water of the pond, surprised to find it almost uncomfortably warm.

"A hot spring." Michael said into the heavy baffled silence that surrounded this spot. A good measure of glee communicated with the statement.

Standing he stripped down quickly and gingerly waded into the warm water. Sitting on a smooth stone near the middle of the pool, Michael closed his eyes, letting the warmth envelope him in it's silky cocoon. His senses became more focused, he smelled the sulfur and other minerals that laced the vapors rising from the natural bath. He could feel the gentle current from below as the water was forced up from the earth, heated by her warmth. Dipping his head below the water he could taste the primal elements that joined to make this spot a haven of warmth.

His peaceful introspections were interrupted by a light musical voice from very close by.

"I thank you for treading gently within what is mine stranger. Perhaps you could tell me how you came to this sacred spot without direction."

Michael looked around the small clearing, only seeing the closely knit perimeter formed by the trees.

Body tensing, his senses now focusing on what friend, or foe may have been placed in his path this day, Michael measured his words as he answered.

"I happened upon it quite by accident, it is not my intention to trespass, I will be glad to move along. My time comes anyway."

Michael moved to rise but found his motion stopped by a light hand placed on his shoulder.

Turning slowly, Michael was shocked to find an ancient woman of at least 90 standing in the pool behind him. While age had left its mark, her body still held the wistful signs of deep beauty now a mere whisper laid over the truth of time.

Her short black hair was wet, slicked back over her head, small breasts hung low on her chest, nipples almost touching the water where it met her rib cage. While her skin was wrinkled, it did not have the weathered look so often prevalent in those of her years.

With a gentle bow Michael took a step back from her, wishing to have a bit of distance between him and his new bathing companion. He could still feel the chill tendrils on his shoulder where her fingers had softly lain.

Her chin dropped slightly as he moved away from her, dark almond eyes regarded him for some time before she spoke again.

"This place is unique, it draws those to it who would be tested in some way. The waters have a way of calming the nerves, releasing tensions, making those within it's waters desire to be truthful."

She moved a half a step closer to him, her breasts gently swaying from the motion. Now that his mind had cleared from the shock of her arrival he reached out with his senses to get a better idea of who or what he was confronted with.

Her gentle laugh echoed around the glade as he reached out and found nothing.

"An interesting one you are, none who have found their way here before have had blood-born gifts. Only the gifts imparted by their benefactors. Neither type hold sway in this circle, here only the heart matters, and what truth lies within it."

As her words faded she moved with a fluid grace at a speed that was impossible yet brought her up against Michael in less than the blink of an eye with no turbulence marring the surface of the water at her passing.

Her hand laid itself gently in the center of his chest, her eyes focused on his.

She felt his heartbeats climb at her touch and then almost immediately fall back into a gentle cadence.

"I am no judge, I am no jury, and I am surly no executioner young man. I am simply a truth-seeker, one who can define the true intentions of a person's heart. I can hinder or help as I am moved to, I am the neutral constant, the fulcrum on which some balances are maintained."

They stood that way for many moments, her hand held gently on his chest her eyes searching his for whatever truths she may find of interest.

Michael stood stoically, he had briefly reached out for Aoife but knew that it was pointless in this place. Before him was something older than even the ancient race he now championed. This was something primordial that had seen ages un-counted pass.

With a gentle sigh her hand finally fell from him to her side, fingers now traced chaotic patterns languidly along the surface of the water.

"Truth is never black and white, it is a consistent gray that changes hue and form when our individual perspective is overlaid upon it. Your truth is, like so many, a balance of joy and pain."

Sinking into the water she moved away from him to the other edge of the pond. She kept her body submerged, only her head above the vaporous plane where water met air.

"The perspective that will define your truth lays at the end of a long journey my friend. Along the way you will pick up pieces that when joined as one at the end of this journey will make you who you will finally be. The journey, as all such do, has a price. No one travels the road of truth, free. Don't fight the payment of what is due. Even if the price seems high, in the end it will all balance out."

She slipped below the water, causing not a ripple.

As Michael stood to leave the pond, perplexed more than anything at this strange encounter, he was startled when she rose next to him. Her ancient bony hands curled around his.

"Go to the cliffs, tomorrow morning, Michael ... at low tide. The path is becoming more twisted with every beat of your heart. You have no time to linger."

With that she disappeared once again, the steam seeming to rise in great clouds for a moment. Then it cleared, leaving nothing but the placid surface of the pond in its wake.

Shaking his head to clear it, he was surprised by a weight around his wrist. Looking down he found a black leather band around it with a simple opalescent shell threaded through it. Turning it over, it had no tie. The tightness of it left little but cutting, as the way to remove it. The thought of removing it never crossed his mind, though, as he got dressed. With a last glance at the pool, he started a brisk jog back the way he had come.

He thought he heard a musical laugh echo through the trees as he ran.

He found great comfort in that thought.

------

"Nicholas landed in Singapore about three hours ago."

The room was quiet, waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Nigel, Tera and Katsimoto sat at the end of the medium sized conference table. One of Onji's planning rooms had been pressed into service for the impromptu tactical briefing.

Noting that he had everyone's attention, Onji continued.

"He was met at the airport by Bin-Fong, Lo-Chan's second in command. They entered a waiting limousine together with Nicholas' personal valet following in another car. They went to the Four Seasons where Nicholas got a suite of rooms. Bin-Fong returned to Lo-Chan's mountain estate."

"Over the past two days, Lo-Chan has moved as many as fifty of his people from his personal stronghold in the Hebei province, to the area in and around Singapore."

"With the amount of men, Nicholas' arrival and Michael being here, I don't believe any of this is coincidence. I believe that Lo-Chan is planning to attack this fortress within the next forty-eight hours. His goal is to reclaim something which he believes to be his. Nicholas' goal is to disrupt Michael's ascension and possibly to kill him. If history can teach us anything, Nicholas is undoubtedly using Bin-Fong to gain information on Lo-Chan with the eventual hope of toppling him, taking the Feilong power and clan for himself."

Vjax
Vjax
947 Followers