Dreams Come True

Story Info
Sometimes you have to take a chance.
16.8k words
4.78
40.1k
46
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

If happiness was in the cards for Nadine Woodrow, God had misplaced the deck. She stood with her back to the wind, her leather jacket pulled tight around her frame, and her hair tossing helter-skelter around her shoulders. Shoving the dark, riotous mess away from her face, Nadine barely noticed the tears that were quickly drying on her cheeks. As she moved her hand down from her hair, the meager sunlight that randomly peeked from the clouds caught her engagement ring and made it gleam. She felt it was mocking her.

She was right.

~*~*~

Standing at the stove, her hair in a messy ponytail, Nadine stirred the chili she had made. After her trip to town, some comfort food was in order. Such a mundane task as making the meal calmed her nerves and her frazzled senses. She had known, but she had been in denial. But when the proof stared at you from the front of a seedy motel an hour away, you couldn't deny it any longer.

Nadine glanced at the clock. He was due home from work any time. Her eyes then drifted to the windowsill above the sink. On the ledge, her engagement ring again twinkled- or was that her imagination? Either way, she hadn't been able to stomach it being on her finger one moment longer.

Right on time, Don pulled into the driveway. Nadine's nerves flared up anew. She again turned to the stove, and jumped when he shut the front door behind him.

"Hi honey. Mmm, that smells wonderful. You've been slaving away on your day off, haven't you?" Don came up behind her and wrapped his arms around her waist.

"Yep. It's been a very busy day."

"The house looks great. No one cleans like you do." Don laughed and kissed her neck, then turned her loose to grab a cola from the refrigerator.

Nadine's skin crawled where his lips touched her. Just hours ago, they'd been planted on his secretary. If that wasn't a clichéd affair, she didn't know what was. He could have at least been a little more imaginative. One of the maids that cleaned the office building, or the chick that fixed the copier.

Don settled down at the bar and flipped open the newspaper. He read and took swigs from his can, just like it was any other day.

'How can he be so calm, so collected? What kind of man is he really that he can bold-face lie to me, then sit there like all is well in the world?' Nadine shuddered. How long had it been going on? Long enough he was good at lying? Long enough he was good at pretending? Evidentially so.

"How was your day?" Nadine tightened her grip on the ladle as she spooned it into a bowl.

"Not bad. We got the Barrington account, which is great. Then we had a late lunch meeting with some of the bigwigs. Nothing major. Just a great day. A day to celebrate. I thought we could go out later on. Spend some time together."

Nadine turned and set the bowl in front of him. She waited until he got the first spoonful to his lips, waiting for it to cool, and she waited until he was taking a hesitant taste before she spoke.

"Why? You already celebrated with your secretary. What do you need me for?"

Don jumped as the spoon tilted too far and he poured the scalding liquid into his mouth. Dribbles of chili dripped down his chin.

"Nadine! For God's sake. That's ridiculous! I think I have third degree burns." He frantically wiped off his mouth and shirt, and took a drink of his pop.

"Pity for her. You might be out of commission for a few days."

"Nadine, sweetheart, what are you talking about? Don't be ridiculous." Don sat on the edge of anger. He'd burnt himself, he'd been caught, and he was trying to keep his cool.

"I took the liberty of packing your bags while your chili simmered. They're upstairs. I didn't feel like carrying them down. So knock yourself out." Suddenly, Nadine snapped out of numb mode and into anger. She stomped to the sink.

"And take your goddamn ring, you worthless son of a bitch." She pitched it at him, striking him right below his eye. Don howled.

"Nadine, let's talk this through. I don't know what gave you the idea I am having an affair, but-"

"Spare me. What gave me the idea? I stood outside the Rodeside Inn not five hours ago and saw your car! I stood there, shocked, then had the presence of mind to hide, and I waited for you to come out! And you did. With Amy. And ya know what? I saw her laughingly wipe lipstick off your cheek, and then I watched you kiss her again. And still I stood there. I've had a feeling for a while now, and I decided to investigate. How long, Don?"

"Nadine, I don't know-"

"I asked you a fucking question. How. Long." Nadine was shaking.

Don sighed and wiped his hand over his face. To his credit he looked her in the eye.

"About four months."

Nadine nodded jerkily, then froze.

"I know."

"You started this... this... fling, with her, a month after you proposed to me?"

"I know, Nadine. I'm sorry."

"Fuck you and your apology. Get out."

"Nadine, I think we should talk about-"

"I swear to you, if you stay here one more minute, they only thing we'll be discussing is which casket you would like. Get. Out." Nadine spoke through clenched teeth.

Don shook his head sadly, then turned and left the kitchen.

Nadine served herself a bowl of chili and sat down. She began to eat, because that's how you do it in the real world. The earth keeps spinning, and life goes on. She didn't even blink as she heard Don make several trips to his car. She didn't look when he spoke her name from the doorway. She didn't falter when she heard his car start and him pull out of the drive.

It was many minutes later, when the house was quiet that she moved. She shoved the bowl out of her way, laid her head down on her arms, and cried.

~*~

The light rain drizzled down out of the charcoal sky, dampening the yellowed leaves on the trees, along with everything else. The temperatures had plunged into the forties for a high, and it was only mid-October.

Inside Nadine's house, the furnace was running and candles were lit. She sat in jeans and a sweatshirt, bundled in a blanket in front of her computer. She was ready. If Kain would just hurry up and sign on, she'd be set.

After Nadine's failed relationship with Don, she went into hiding. Well, not really. She still worked, still spent time with her family, and still socialized with her friends. But the romance department was lacking. She couldn't trust herself. She had spent three years with a man she figured out she didn't know, and it scared her.

Her friends constantly proclaimed that they had the 'perfect' man for her, and tried to set her up. After the fourth date, she put her foot down. No more. She was done.

However, she thought that fate might be working for her for once. Three months into her celibacy, she met Kain online. For a while they just chatted in passing, whenever they happened to catch each other. Then they started looking for one another, and the chats got more and more personal. He knew everything about her. She felt like there was nothing left to tell. In turn, she knew everything about him. Nadine truly liked him, but part of her held back. The part that had been broken and jaded with Don's betrayal. She didn't really know Kain... not really. She was scared.

Kain was understanding, since he had been through basically the same thing. When he was young and dumb he had cheated on his first wife and she left him. He didn't understand until years later when his second wife cheated on him. He finally 'got' how deep the hurt can do, and how damaging it can be to your self-worth. Five years later he started looking for someone, and after several failed attempts, he met Nadine.

She was pretty sure she was in love with him, and she was also pretty sure he felt the same. If she could only work up the nerve to meet him, she could grant them both the possibility of happiness. But that part of her, the hurt, wasn't easily convinced. It had been just about a year, but there was still some damage.

Nadine had been lost in thought and when her screen blooped at her, she jumped. It was him. Finally. And it was a rather long message.

'Hey sweetie. I had kind of a long day. I am so glad to finally be home and to get to talk to you. I just wanted to make sure you know how much you mean to me. I look forward to getting home, like you're really here waiting for me. I know what you've been through and I know you're scared... but I want to meet you so badly, that I ache. Can I call you?'

Nadine leaned away from the screen with wide eyes. They had talked on the phone before, but with respect for her skittishness he always asked before he called. But he'd never come on so strong. For a moment she hesitated, then typed back.

'I'm glad you're home too. You mean a lot to me also. I kind of wish I was really waiting for you... yes, call me.'

After what seemed like only two seconds, her phone rang.

They exchanged pleasantries for a few minutes, and finally he paused.

"Ya still there?" Nadine laughed breathlessly.

"I am. Sorry. I am working up my nerve." He exhaled.

"For what?"

"I want to meet you Nadine. If you're as sweet and precious in real life as you are on here and on the phone, I'm going to die a happy man. I haven't pushed for anything, but I am miserable. I want to hold you. I want to love you. Please Nadine, meet me tonight. Anywhere you want. We'll do anything you want. Just please say yes."

For the rest of her days, Nadine probably won't ever be able to explain why she said what she did, but before she knew what happened, her mouth opened and she said, "Come here."

Silence.

"Are you sure?" Kain's voice was husky.

"I am." She gave him directions, and he said he'd be there in about an hour, give or take if he got lost.

They hung up and Nadine threw off her blanket, stumbled and ran for the bathroom. After the world's quickest shower, she hurriedly shaved her legs, put on lotion and deodorant and threw some gel in her hair. A quick look in her closet revealed nothing sexy, so her favorite jeans and a yellow sweater would have to do. Make up was next, and after the flurry of panic wore off, she stopped and really looked at herself in the mirror, like she hadn't in a year.

Scared hazel eyes stared out at her reflection. She looked terrified. Trying to smooth her features, she gave herself a couple squirts of perfume. Her hair was still damp, but the gel was keeping it from frizzing. It was so dark it was almost black, and looking now, she was in dire need of a haircut. How long had it been? Five months, eight? It didn't matter. She'd do that tomorrow. All in all, she was still beautiful. At twenty nine, she had a few fine lines at the corners of her eyes, and laugh lines bracketing her mouth. She used to smile so much. It's a wonder the past year hadn't smoothed those suckers out.

"That's as good as it's getting." Nadine looked at the clock. About five more minutes. Give or take. She smiled. Nervous laughter bubbled and she hoped to God she wasn't leading a crazed lunatic to her sanctuary.

The doorbell rang and she nearly jumped out of her skin. He must've driven like a bat out of hell.

Taking a deep breath at the door, she opened it just as he pushed the button again. The bell chimed its three tones as they stared at each other. Nadine swallowed and stepped to the side, gesturing with her hand for him to come in.

Kain was gorgeous. He had thick dark hair that grazed his collar and the tops of his ears. A lock fell forward and he nervously pushed it back. His eyes were green... the pure green of grass. Proportioned nose, full lips, and a hard jaw line that begged for attention. Nadine stepped to the side as he came forward.

They stood in limbo; neither one knowing quite how to act. Kain was pleasantly surprised. She was even more beautiful in person. The pictures he had seen hadn't done her justice. At forty-two, he knew a good woman when he saw her, and Nadine's heart was shining from her eyes. Before he knew what he was about, he stepped forward, fully intending on passing her on his way into the house, but he stopped. Cupping her cheek with one hand, he brushed his lips across hers.

Nadine jolted. She hadn't expected that at all. And she really didn't expect the electric charge that shot through her at that brief contact. She didn't have time to shut her eyes, or to think about anything. When his lips lifted, they stayed that way, staring into each other's eyes or a moment. Finally, Kain spoke,

"It's very, very nice to finally meet you."

Nadine's eyes drifted shut. His voice was honeyed velvet over steel. Was there such a thing? Could a man's voice be as sexy as the rest of him?

"I'm glad I gave in. It's nice to meet you too. My god, you're actually flesh and bone." Nadine's nervous laughter betrayed the calm façade she was going for.

She turned and led the way into the living room. Kain noticed the computer.

"So this is where it happens, huh?" He smiled.

"Yep. Now you have all the mental picture ya need." She smiled back.

Kain was doing his best to keep her from bolting. Her eyes darted, and she was as nervous as a wild horse. He made small talk, asked her a few light questions, and finally silence fell. That didn't usually happen to them.

"Listen, Nadine, I'm not an ax murderer. I'm not going to harm you in any way. I know that's got to be part of why you're so nervous. I know the other part is from your history. But please, sweetie, calm down. I bet your heart's pounding a mile a minute." Kain stepped in front of her and rested his hands on her shoulders. His thumbs rubbed small tight circles, trying to rid her of the tension.

"You're right. I had that thought after we hung up. I don't think you'd kill me, not really. But you can never be too careful. And I don't think you'd hurt me.... Either in the physical sense, or the mental one. You aren't him, Kain, and I know that." Nadine let her head drop forward, and gave herself over to his skillful fingers.

Again they were quiet, but it wasn't an uncomfortable silence this time. Nadine finally lifted her head, gave him a smile, and offered him something to drink. Once she stepped away and retrieved their beverages, they headed for the couch.

Conversation started, and it was like the floodgates were opened. Neither one could shut up. They shared, they joked, they laughed... just when you think you can't know any more about a person, that all changes. Afternoon turned to evening, the sky darkened even more, and the rain kept a steady pace on the roof. The outside world was dark and cold, but inside that house it was all warmth and light and love.

They ended up ordering a pizza and having it delivered, joking about how romantic their first date was. Nadine was fine with it. She had no desire to leave their cocoon and go out to a nice restaurant. It was perfect how it was. Kain had no desire to change a thing either. She was beautiful, finally at ease in her own home. She lounged on the couch, leaning back into the arm with her legs curled underneath her. The glow from the candles lent an auburn hue to her thick, dark hair, and an inner light shone from her eyes. She wasn't scared anymore, and she was perfect.

Kain checked his watch. It was almost midnight. He sighed.

"What is it?"

"It's late. I should be going, as much as I hate to. I don't work tomorrow, but I should let you get some sleep." He smiled at her and stood, taking the pizza box into the kitchen. Nadine followed with their empty pop cans.

She was so lost in thought she almost ran into him when he stopped at the stove.

"Stay."

"Pardon me?" Kain was sure he hadn't heard her correctly.

"I'd like it if you stayed. I'll take a vacation day tomorrow, and we can go do something. It's just that its late, and its dark, and you don't know exactly where you're going, and I'd hate for you to get lost..."

Kain turned to face her as she spoke, and she fiddled with the pop cans nervously.

"Nadine, I don't want you to feel like I have to. You don't owe me anything."

"I'm not- well, I... I'd just like for you to stay."

He smiled at her and took the cans from her grip that had slightly dented them. He tossed them in the trash, then wrapped his arms around her waist, hugging her tightly. Nadine's arms draped his shoulders, and one hand slid up into his hair. It was as soft as it looked. She shut her eyes and rested her forehead on his shoulder. He was a good head taller than her, and it was nice. She felt enveloped; she felt safe.

"Well, then, Miss Woodrow, let us retire for the night."

They stepped away from each other and blew out the candles and turned off the lights. She locked the front door, then led the way to her bedroom. The whole time she asked herself what in the world she was doing, and she really didn't know. All she knew was that her happiness rested in the hands of this man, and she didn't want to let him go quite yet.

Nadine pointed out the master bathroom, and he went to use the facilities. She changed quickly into a pair of pajama pants and a tank top, then realized she didn't know what he was supposed to wear. In indecision, she stood at her dresser, and was staring into a drawer when Kain came out of the bathroom.

"I don't expect you want to sleep in your clothes, do you?"

"It's no problem. They are khakis, so they aren't as bad as jeans." Kain smiled.

"This is going to be awkward, and if you don't find it too sacrilegious, I kept a pair of Don's sweatpants because they were so comfortable. You can wear them if you'd like." Nadine laughed nervously.

"How would you feel about that?"

"I.. it's fine. I consider them mine anyway." Again, that tight laugh. "In effect, you'd be getting into my pants."

Kain chuckled, and took the sweatpants from her. "In that case, I'm okay with that."

"I'll go to the bathroom, so you can just change in here." Nadine scurried away. Her easy going attitude had vanished. Back to wild horse mode.

Kain stripped off his sweater, then his pants, and pulled the sweatpants on. She had tied the string to fit her waist, so he had to fumble with that before he could get them all the way on. Once up, they were too short, but it was better than sleeping in his dress pants. They were also tight- Kain was considerably taller, and more muscular than Don had been. Glancing down, he groaned. The evidence of his liking for Nadine was plainly visible. He figured he better get sat down before she came back in.

Unsure of which side was 'hers', he hesitated. Just long enough for her to come out. Her eyes flew wide, and he watched her throat as she swallowed hard. That didn't improve his issue any.

"They're a little snug, but better than my own pants." Kain raked a hand through his hair.

"You fill them out a hell of a lot better than he did, or than I do for that matter." Nadine laughed, her face flushed.

She headed for the bed on the side closest to her, so Kain quickly moved to the opposite. He had been about three seconds away from scaring her to death. The lamp on her nightstand was on, and she grabbed the remote, flipping on the TV. She basically just wanted it for background noise. She was uncomfortable again.

"Kind of awkward, isn't it?" Kain understood her fears and her nervousness.

"Yeah." Another breathy laugh.

Kain scooted so he was sitting up against the headboard. He held out his arm. Nadine glanced over, saw he intended for her to snuggle against his side, and hesitated.

"Nadine, don't be scared. I won't bite. I just figured you'd be a little more comfortable this way."

She nodded, and moved to him, settling in the curve of his arm. It was nice. He was so solid, so warm. She felt secure all of a sudden, as if his skin could have conveyed the feeling. Nadine relaxed into his hold, and Kain lightly ran his fingertips back and forth across her arm.