Dreams of Love Ch. 03

Story Info
Lina heads out on her trial.
5.4k words
4.73
16.8k
5

Part 3 of the 6 part series

Updated 10/30/2022
Created 09/12/2006
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
FaeLina
FaeLina
219 Followers

Linaross looked around the room and sighed inwardly. Topain was no where to be seen. In fact he had disappeared not long after the ball started. Sipping some champagne, she glanced up in time to see her father coming towards her. He took her elbow and led her into a secluded corner. "Yes Father?" she asked.

"I want you to go to bed now. You have had a long day. Just walk out and don't stop for anything, all right my sweet daughter?" he said, brushing her hair out of her face. She looked perplexed and then nodded. "Good," Paintin said, pushing her towards the back hallway. She hurried through the door and ran quickly through the darkened hall.

Then she stopped, looked around her then closed her eyes. Darkness covered her as she opened her eyes and kept running. Her heeled shoes made no sound on the marble floor. Neither did her soft breathing. An unnatural black surrounded her as she ran past servants and ball-goers. She finally made it up to her deserted suite and tore off her gown. The material had been confining and she longed to sleep. But she had to see Topain first.

Clad only in a chemise, she padded barefoot to the door that separated her room and Topain's. Knocking on it softly, she waited a second before opening the door. The room was dark; not even a single candle lit. Topain's bed stood empty. She glanced around and noticed the door to the baths open. Silently walking over to the door, she slipped inside and peered into the steam. Topain lay slumped in a bath, his arms hanging limply over the sides. Fear filled her, choking off the short scream that rose in her throat. "Topain?" she gasped. He looked up and over at her.

"Lina?" he asked groggily. She nodded and stepped closer, relief flooding her. He had only been sleeping. "What are you doing here?" he asked her. She shrugged and sat beside the bath. "Father told me to go to bed. So I came here to talk to you. Do you mind?" she answered, running a hand over his wet face lovingly. He shook his head and sat up more.

"No, not at all Lina. I love being with you. Now, more than ever. Come on; let's go talk by the fire in my room." He hoisted himself out of the tepid bathwater and reached for at towel. Wrapping it around his middle he offered a hand to Linaross. She took it, blushing a little from the sight of his bare, glistening form.

Together, hand in hand, they walked out to his room. He settled some pillows on the floor in front of the fire and sat her down. He pulled on some breaches, and then dried his shoulder length brown curls. Stretching out beside her, he stared into the fire, watching the flames dance and leap. She pulled his head into her lap and combed his hair with her fingers. "I don't want to marry him. You know that right?" she finally said. He nodded and looked up at her. "I know. I can feel how much you hate him. But don't worry. I'll think of something. Even if takes all three years of your trial. I promise," he said, pulling her head down to his to give her a quick kiss. She sighed then closed her eyes tiredly. Topain smiled gently and laid her beside him, tucking her body into his. Then he closed his own eyes and yawned. "Go to sleep my love." Within seconds they were both asleep.

* * * * *

Linaross looked over her kingdom. She would be out there by tonight. Away from the shelter of the castle and its guards. To fend for herself. She couldn't wait. It was a dream come true. Except Topain wouldn't be with her. Instantly, her mood drooped. Paintin had yet to tell her who her escort would be. And she would be leaving soon. Sighing, she turned away from the edge of the castle wall. Walking down the spiraling staircase in the tower, she frowned prettily.

"Princess Lina. Your horse is ready. Shall I call your parents?" a servant said as he walked up. Linaross looked into his familiar face and nodded. Jenson was always there for her. Except now he wouldn't be. Suddenly Linaross's eyes filled with tears. Throwing her arms around the servant's neck she clung to him. His arms came up around her comfortingly. They had been friends for as long as anyone could remember. "I'm going to miss you Jenson. You are one of my closest friends. If I miss no one else, I'll miss you," she sobbed. He murmured soothingly and brushed her blond curls back.

"Oh, my fair and kind princess, I will miss you too. The palace won't be the same without you," Jenson said, grief darkening his words even more. His handsome face was also wet as he tilted her face up and kissed her lightly. She sighed and dropped her head back onto his shoulder. Once there had been something between them, but no more. Jenson's shoulders slumped a little in disappointment, but he understood. He knew the way that she looked at Topain was no infatuation. There was love there, strong and evident. "Come, let us go now Lina. I will visit you on my days off. Just let me know where you will be," he said, leading her down the rest of the way down the stairs. Neither of them saw the tall lanky figure that darted out of the shadows and towards a hidden door in the tower.

"My darling daughter, you will never believe how much we will miss you. I wish you didn't have to do this. I really do. But you must, so I give you one of my most trusted advisors to protect you." Paintin and Shelakay were at the entrance of the palace. With them was a cloaked and hooded figure. He sat on top of Lightening, a white mare. Linaross shot him a confused look and then turned to her parents. Her father held out his arms. Biting her lip, she hesitated before flinging herself into them. They clung to each other for a second before she pulled away. Fighting back tears, she turned to her mother. Shelakay's eyes were disapproving like always, but she smiled softly. "My little foster daughter is all grown up, looking just like her mother. Come back safe Lina. Please," the queen said before turning and walking back to the palace. Linaross swallowed the lump in her throat and looked around. Topain wasn't anywhere in sight. They had made love the night before, saying their goodbyes, but she still wanted to see him one last time.

Jenson gently touched her shoulder to get her attention and then led Milky over to her. Surprised, Linaross looked at her father. "He is useless without you here. So you go ahead and take him with you," the graying king said before wiping his eyes. Linaross nodded wordlessly, knowing if she spoke, she would burst out in tears. She mounted with Jenson's help then glanced down at her father one last time.

"I love you Father. I will be back. I promise you that," she said before wheeling Milky around, her saddlebags full of her necessities, towards the main gate. The hooded figure followed her, silent. The gates opened and they rode out slowly. The whole city was outside, waving goodbye to her as she rode away from her home and safety. Not long later they were on the open road, the last tower of the place slowly sinking out of sight over the horizon. The two horses walked slowly, taking their time, allowing their riders to relax.

Linaross glanced over at her silent companion and wondered who he was. But then her thoughts strayed to Topain. What was he doing right then? Was he missing her already? The way she was missing him? She hoped so as she suddenly wished the three years were up and she was going the other way, back to him. "This is my dream, I must live it as best as I can before I must marry that horrible Adarin," she murmured under her breath. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw the hood swing her way for a second before facing front again. "Maybe we should get off the main road?" she said, louder this time. Once again the hood swung to face her and she strained to see who it was, but to no avail. She was half tempted to probe his thoughts, but quickly scolded herself. He had a right to privacy. He shrugged and maneuvered Lightening off the main road and into the forest. She followed him, reaching up to slip her tiara off and place it in one of her saddle bags.

"Stop," she called out. "I want to change." Another shrug and the mare stopped. She stopped Milky then slipped off his back. Digging in her saddlebag she searched for a pair of breeches. But felt with only folds of silk and satin. Cursing she stepped away and closed her eyes and concentrated. When she opened them, she was clad in some deerskin breeches and a loose shirt. Her blond hair was pulled back into a tail at the nape of her neck. Then she concentrated on her saddle, turning it from a side saddle to a regular riding saddle. Vaulting back onto Milky she nodded to the cloaked figure in front of her.

"We can go now. But first tell me who you are," she ordered, her voice commanding. But the hood only shook in negation. She frowned and wondered if maybe she should order him to. But she discarded that idea quickly. It wouldn't help her any. Only cause frigidness between her and her protector.

Many hours later, when night was coming, he stopped again and dismounted. She followed his example then stretched. Her muscles were sore as she took Milky's reins and followed her escort into a cave. Without thinking, she conjured a light to lead them even deeper into the cave. Then, he stopped and tied his mare's reins to a natural cutting of rock that resembled a bar. She followed suit then took Milky's care things out of one of her saddlebags. After brushing him down quickly, yet thoroughly, she prepared his dinner.

The cloaked man had already taken care of Lightening and had started a fire. He sat crouched before it, his head still covered by the dark hood. Clenching her jaw, she strode toward him until she stood directly in front of him. His head jerked up but then back down. "Tell me who you are right now. I will not travel with an anonymous person. For all I know you are an imposter," she demanded for the second time that day. When he didn't answer right away, she felt the sick fingers of defeat creeping up her spine. She started to turn away to go make her bed by Milky when she heard the rustling of think heavy cloth. Slowly she turned around, and then gasped in shock. Topain stood in front of her, his green eyes bright with mischief. She took one step towards him, then stopped. "Are you real?" she asked breathlessly. "Come find out my love," was all he said. She made her way towards him, until she was right there in front of him. Reaching out a trembling hand, she placed it on his chest. Then she collapsed in his arms. Relief filled her as she closed her eyes, thanking the Gods with every breath and molecule in her body. Then she lifted her lips for his kiss.

Later, when they lay on conjured blankets, naked, and wrapped in each other's arms before the fire, she closed her eyes and drifted to sleep. Topain brushed her hair back, for it had fallen out of its confinement during their lovemaking. He remembered how sad she had been all day. He didn't think she'd let her sorrow at leaving him overcome her joy to see the kingdom. But she had, and that amazed him beyond belief. Her joy at having both her dreams comes true on the same day made her response to his lovemaking more fierce and satisfying. He was glad Paintin had come up with this idea. He yawned and held her closer as he drifted into sleep.

:Wake up my love. It's a beautiful day and we are together: Topain opened his eyes when Linaross teasingly touched his mind with hers. She was leaning over him, her blue eyes filling his whole world. Instantly, his heart started beating wildly with joy and love. She was his. He never could get over that. He pulled her down on top of him and brushed her long hair back. Kissing her lightly, he smiled. "I love you Lina," he whispered, making her smile widely.

"I love you too Topain. I don't know how I could have made it three years without you," she said. Snuggling against him, she closed her eyes. This was the life she had always dreamed of. This was how it should be. Milky neighed, and tugged at his reins, knocking the lovers out of their reverie. Topain jerked a little in surprise before nudging Linaross. "I think your horse wants out," he said. She blushed and got up off him. Instantly, he missed her warm weight.

She untied Milky and led him out of the cave, outside. He sat up and reached for his clothes and dressed quickly. When she came back in, her face was flushed from the bright sun and her eyes were bright. "I still can't believe that we are here together. It's a dream come true. Who would have guessed that Father would have let both his children go?" she asked, walking over to help him up. He stood and went to take care of Lightening. As soon as they had fed the horses and watered them, they turned to each other. He conjured a small brush, not wanting to tax his strength and turned her around so he could brush her long golden curls. When they fell over his hands in a soft cascade of living gold, she pulled her hair back and secured it. Then she turned and dropped a kiss on his cheek. "Thank you."

"Shall we go? It's getting late and we need to find a town where we can masquerade as wandering peasants and find work. Or we will never pass this test," he said regretfully. She nodded and went to saddle Milky. Mounting she rotated her neck, working the kinks out. Then she waited for Topain to mount his mare. He stood there, watching her.

"You go on ahead. If we come in together, people will begin to suspect that you are the princess. Everyone knows that she is traveling with someone. And lots of people want part of the castle's treasury. They will do just about anything to get it too," he said, coming over to stand beside Milky. He slid one arm around her waist and tugged her down for a quick kiss. "Be careful," he said when the kiss was over. Not giving her time to object, he hit Milky's rump, startling the large horse, sending it out of the cave at a gallop. Linaross could only hang on until the shock was over, and when it was, she was already long gone. Sighing in resignation, she slowed Milky to a walk and found the road. Not long afterwards, she came across a small town. Hesitating before she rode in, she searched mentally for Topain.

:That's fine Lina. In fact I was going to suggest it: was the reply when she wondered if she should stop here. She sighed and wondered where he was. :No my love, you just go on in and get a room for the night. Try the Lonely Friends. It's kind of pressed for space tonight. This way we can get a room together: he said laughingly, reading her thoughts. She perked up at that and sent him a mental picture of them sleeping in each other's arms. Then she turned her attention back to the town.

It was about midday and the main street was bustling as she rode in, looking around her. It was just as she imagined a small town to look like. Down to the last detail. Grinning, she dismounted and led Milky through the streets, looking for the Lonely Friends Inn. She saw it and looked it over. No not yet; later, when they were seriously pressed for space. Turning, she saw a small food stand on the other side of the street. Her stomach reminded her she hadn't eaten that morning. The delicious aroma of the baking rolls made her mouth water, but she knew better then to go with roadside vendors. Their food was usually made up of mostly unappetizing things she would never eat otherwise.

Making sure her purse of money was still strapped between her breasts, she wandered back towards the bustling area of the town, where she had seen some fruit stalls. Spotting an old lady selling various fruits, she stopped in front of her. "How much for a fortnight's worth of food?" she asked, trying to quiet her stomach. The old lady peered up at her, noting her young face, and slender body. "You look like you haven't eaten in days, you poor thing," she said, clucking her tongue. Packing a few apples and oranges into a cloth bag, she handed it to Linaross. "Here, on me. And when you need more tomorrow, you just come to old Jiss here. Or a job; I'll help you with whatever you need," Jiss said, smiling kindly. Linaross nodded thankfully, a bit shocked.

"Thank you! But I can pay you, I really can!" she protested. But Jiss shook her head.

"Don't you worry your pretty little head about it. You remind me so much of my daughter when she was your age. Such a shame she died in childbirth." Jiss's voice got soft and sorrowful as she drifted off into the past.

"Hey Jiss, can I get some food here." A customer shoved Linaross aside and Jiss perked up and smiled brightly.

"Of course son. Just let me tell this young thing where to take her horse for a good price," she said. Then she turned back to Linaross. "Take that beauty there to the stables on Southern Grove. Tell them I sent you. They won't charge you much. And he will be well taken care of there, I promise you that!"

"T-t-thank you," Linaross stuttered. Jiss shrugged in response and turned back to the young man. Linaross stored the bag of food in her saddlebags and started to look for Southern Grove and the stables. She found it after awhile and had Milky settled, promising to come see him later that night. Walking back towards the marketplace she heard a loud shout.

"Topain is back! He's come back!" A little towheaded girl ran down the street, shouting loudly. Linaross's heartbeat quickened as she followed the throng of people towards the marketplace. There, seated on his mare, was Topain, looking as handsome as ever. Surrounding him was almost every person in the town. Girls stared up at him in awe and adoration, each hoping to catch his eye.

Topain's gaze traveled over everyone, looking for one slender golden haired beauty. He knew she was there, he could feel her. Suddenly he spotted her, near the back of the crowd. His grin got wider and he slid of his mount.

Instantly, the reins where taken from his hands and the mare was led towards the stable. Walking through the crowd, he smiled and talked to a few townspeople, greeting them, but keeping his eyes on her. He finally reached her and took one of her hands in his. Kissing the back of her hand he smiled and bowed low.

:So much for trying to stay discreet. What are you? The town hero?: she laughed mentally. He shrugged and met her blue eyes with his own.

:The town hero, I saved two girls from drowning when I was last here. It's helpful to be known in some places: Then he said aloud, "Well who is this young beauty. She wasn't here when I last came. And that was just a few weeks ago." Jiss stepped up and embraced Topain like he was a lost son. "She just arrived this morning Topain. No one knows her name," she said, her curiosity getting the better of her.

"Forgive me. I'm Lana. I'm just stopping for the night," Linaross said hastily. Topain's eyebrows shot up in surprise and amusement.

"Well, where are you staying? I might stay there tonight," Topain said. Linaross blushed and shrugged a little.

"I'm not sure. But I'll be sure to let you know as soon as I decide," she promised, then turned and walked away. :The inn you told me to check out. Is that ok?: she said gently in his mind as she turned the corner.

:That's fine Lina. I'll see you there in about a candlemark: His response was fleeting and made her wonder what he was going to do during that candlemark. Then she shrugged. It was his business. She fought the temptation to watch him in this new environment, and instead went to the stables to be with Milky. She groomed him carefully, thinking about how handsome and peaceful he had looked when he had ridden into the town. Milky leaned into each stroke she made with the currycomb, making her laugh. He looked at her, his brown eyes gentle and trusting as she leaned her forehead against his neck, her laughter turning to tears. This was a new side of Topain she had never seen before and it hurt knowing she wasn't a total part of his life.

FaeLina
FaeLina
219 Followers
12