Dreams of Love Ch. 04

Story Info
Lina is attacked by an unseen foe.
1.6k words
4.67
13.8k
5

Part 4 of the 6 part series

Updated 10/30/2022
Created 09/12/2006
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
FaeLina
FaeLina
220 Followers

Linaross stretched, adjusting in the saddle while she did so. They had been traveling for two weeks now, looking for work for both of them. After deciding that the town they had first stopped in was too obvious a place for her to take her trial, they had reluctantly left the next day, amid heartfelt farewells for Topain from the villagers. They hadn't been lucky in finding another village with work so far, but there was time. Also, this time alone was proving to bring a change to Topain. She glanced over at Topain and smiled to herself. He had started off the trip with a smug, domineering attitude. He hadn't intended it, but it had been there. In the way he treated her like a child at school, and he was the schoolteacher. True, she hadn't known many things, like how to start a fire without magic, or to construct a shelter at night. But there were some things he didn't know she knew. That even he hadn't known. For instance, two days ago, he was in charge of making supper and had decided to use some herbs and mushrooms in the rabbit stew. The things he had collected had either been poisonous or too bitter to eat. She had snatched them from his hands, scolding him for his ignorance. He knew nothing about plants or animals other then how to kill him. He would watch her for hours, watching the way the wild animals around them would come to her and suddenly become tame for her. Or the way she would collect edible and delicious plants to eat when he couldn't catch supper or when it was her night for supper. Slowly, his arrogance disappeared, replaced by an awe of her skills. She had much to teach him, just as he had much to teach her. Now, two weeks after leaving that first town, he was more comfortable with her, no longer trying to show off. They had once again reached that level of partnership they used to share years before.

Linaross sighed happily at this revelation and patted Milky between his ears. "How much farther do you think we need to go?" she asked.

"Not sure, but I'd like to go as far as we can go. The farther away from the palace, the less people will look for the princess. News doesn't really travel far without embellishing a bit. The last town we were in, the locals believed the princess was a small soft thing dark of coloring and spoiled. And her consort was old, short and ugly, a veteran from the border. Which we know isn't true. But the farther we go, the more untrue it becomes. Soon you will be a child with big innocent eyes and I will be the devil himself that has been paid to protect you." Topain laughed at the image.

"Why would you be evil? Why can you not be an angel, beautiful and loving?" Linaross asked. Topain shrugged and nudged his mare closer.

"I don't know love, but I know that is what you are. Maybe our loyal countrymen think I should be the opposite," he whispered, leaning in to kiss her. She returned his kiss eagerly, and then leaned her head on his shoulder, yawning a little. "Tired?" he asked

"A little bit. When are we stopping for the night?" she asked, confused by the waves of fatigue washing over her.

"We'll stop in a bit. Can you hold on a little longer?" he asked.

"I would do anything if only you asked me too," she murmured. He flushed crimson, causing her to laugh.

"By the way Lina, I want to congratulate you on not using your magic today to find food. I know that it would have been easier, but you didn't. I am really proud of you for that," he said, changing the subject. She grinned at him, toying with the idea of making him blush again, finding it adorable, but had mercy on him.

"Thank you Topain. I thought I should probably learn to stop using my magic. That will set me apart from people. I know that." Linaross grew silent, wondering what he was really thinking. Because every time she had done magic in the past few weeks, he had grown dark, almost angry. So she had cut down on her magic use, which had seemed to pacify him, bringing him back to the Topain she loved so much.

"Yes, that is true. People will begin to believe that you aren't a regular person," Topain said.

"What do you mean, not a regular person. Of course I am. I just know how to use my magic. Marikay said everyone has it. Just a few people can use it," Linaross said, her blue eyes flashing in anger.

"I know love. Just that the peasants believe mages aren't normal. And since you have as much power if not more then a mage, you will be considered the same," Topain explained.

"Do you think I'm not normal?" she ventured to ask. He looked at her incredulously.

"Of course I don't Lina. You are too dear to me to be considered normal. But if I were to meet you on the streets, I would think you were exceptionally beautiful, but shockingly normal," he said. She smiled, flushing lightly.

"Really?" she asked. He nodded.

"Of course my love."

"Then why don't you like me using my magic even when we are alone?" she asked.

"Because...no reason. Just thought you should be more cautious. Never know who could be watching." He looked away from her, clearing his throat nervously.

"Then why didn't you tell me this earlier?" she asked.

"I don't know Lina. Can we not talk about this?" he cried.

Linaross cringed mentally and nodded. "Whatever you say Topain, I'm sorry for pressing. When are we going to get to the next town?" she asked.

"We should get there by nightfall with this good weather. I've been there before. The inn is comfortable and the food is good. Also Milky and Lightening will be housed in the inn's adjoining stables," he explained. She giggled. "Will we be greeted by the whole town like we did the first night?" she asked.

"No. We won't. I guess maybe I should have warned you about that. I'm sorry Lina," he said, looking ashamed.

"I understand Topain. You wanted to surprise me and show me that not everyone thought of you as a selfish prick. Which I am very glad of!" she said, her soft musical voice filled with understanding. Then, without warning, her eyes fluttered closed as her body went limp, sliding off to the side and almost off Milky's back. The horse sidestepped at feeling his mistress's confusing signals, trying to keep her on. "Lina!" Topain cried, managing somehow to catch her in his arms before she fell to the ground. He stopped Lightening and managed to catch Milky's reins before the stallion could wander to far off. Not that he had to worry about that. The great white stallion hovered next to him, nosing Lina insistently. This allowed Topain to get a better grip on her limp form. "Lina, wake up! Please," he pleaded as he dismounted awkwardly. He laid her down on a bed of soft moss and tethered the horses to a sapling. As soon as he was sure they wouldn't run, he turned his attention back to Linaross.

She lay there, in a deep sleep. When his mind touched hers, he felt nothing. There weren't any thoughts or ideas. Her mind slept with her body. He wondered what could have caused this. Because though she should have been tired of their day of traveling, she shouldn't have been so tired as to slip into a coma like state. "Lina," he whispered again, almost desperate. But he received no response. He lifted her slight weight into his arms and settled on the ground, holding her close.

His head bent, he hunched protectively over her body. He knew he had to get to the village, but he didn't want to risk moving her. He didn't know what was wrong. Maybe she had been hit by a branch. Or a stray rock from the path had been flung up from the horses' hooves and hit her, knocking her out. He dismissed those thoughts automatically. A hit to the head wouldn't explain her mind's unresponsive behavior. Then it hit him, his heart going cold. A mage was at work. Only a mage, and a powerful one at that, could put a person into a trance so deep even their mind didn't respond. Fear swept over him. If a mage was after Linaross, they could be close by. He had to get Linaross to a safe place. A place where no one could touch her. And then he had to send word to the capital that they were being followed; and he had to work quickly.

Standing up, casting a fearful glance around him, he slipped Linaross's prone form over Milky's back. Untying the reins, he secured Lightning's to Milky's saddle and then swung up into it. Milky was the only one strong enough to carry them both. He urged the white stallion back onto the road, apprehension and fear thick in his throat.

As he rode away, a cloaked figure on a black horse stepped out of the woods. The Princess had been easy to control. She had had her shields down and been unprepared for the attack on her mind. His master would be pleased. Now all he had to do was finish off the Prince for his master and then he would be paid handsomely. He had been promised that. And he would get it.

FaeLina
FaeLina
220 Followers