Duplicity Ch. 16

Story Info
Hold your breath and count to ten.
4.7k words
4.76
15.5k
9
12

Part 17 of the 19 part series

Updated 10/27/2022
Created 07/13/2012
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Hey guys-Ask and you shall receive! So after posting a comment in the last chapter, I got some help with editing (Fist pump Yeah!). Lol I want to thank TJ for all the help in editing this chapter. The next chapter is shaping up nicely and I hope to finish and post within the next 2 weeks (hopefully sooner). Don't forget to comment! Thanks for your continued support. --p2p-

*

His mind was blank.

He was on autopilot. The subconscious part of his brain told his body what to do. Willed his body to go through the motions and... Drive.

There were no thoughts running wild through his head. No words screaming inside of him.

Nothing.

He just drove.

According to his phone he was less than a mile away. The tracking device he planted on her when they were on the beach that day was still active. It was proof she was still there. There was still hope.

The red blinking light on the screen was like a beacon for his salvation. It was the only thing keeping him together. The tender fabric of his reality was stretched too thin. He'd been through too much. If he lost her, he... he... he didn't want to think about that.

Being around Rollins tempted the darkness he kept deeply tucked away to its limit. It begged to come out and now, with his mind blank, he had no control over it.

He prayed he got to her in time. Before it was too late for her. Before it was too late for him.

When he approached the designated area, it was quiet and desolate. There were no cars or trucks, nothing indicating there was life for miles. It was an abandoned construction site. There were blocks of cement scattered everywhere. It looked like it was originally intended to be a large bank. However the overgrown weeds grew over the concrete, as if stretching their limbs tightly over the manmade material.

The bright sun peeked through the trees branches. It was hot, almost uncomfortably so. What started out as the most memorable day was now one full of anxiety.

Sean got out of the car and started walking towards the ruins. He assessed the area as he walked. His gait was heavy, full of apprehension. His feet felt as if they were made of concrete.

He willed himself to keep a steady head, but his chest rose erratically. He knew what Rollins was capable of. Those horrible memories from so long ago haunted him. The ones he tried so hard to forget were suddenly coming back to him.

He knew this was a trap, but he didn't care. Layla was the only thing that mattered. There was no other option.

As Sean approached the open area his stomach clenched. He was quiet as he tried to listen for any signs of distress, but heard nothing. And yet the red light on his screen still blinked. He followed it throughout the fallen building.

He found himself at the center of what looked to be the bank's original lobby. The construction was in a semicircle. There was no roof. Roots of large trees had already started to force their way down the crumbly walls like an octopus stretching its tentacles for anything in its reach.

Sean did a sweep of the perimeter, but found nothing. He glanced at his phone again. Suddenly the red blinking light that had been his lifeline vanished.

Panic rose from within him. He shook his phone as if it would somehow bring the blinking light back. Bring her back.

Rushed sounds of agitated flying birds flooded the area. In the opening up above the squawking birds huddled together as if spectators to see the upcoming battle.

"Looking for this?" A deep voice asked.

Sean quickly turned towards it and found a stocky man holding the adhesive tracking device Sean planted on Layla. He roughly squeezed it between his fingers and flicked it away.

The man's blue eyes gleamed as he spoke. It was as if he enjoyed the predicament they were in. He was a beast of a man like a rugby player. He was fair skinned with a light blond buzz cut. His nose was severely twisted as if it had been broken one too many times. He wore cargo pants and a white shirt. His body rippled with muscles and yet his stance screamed stealth. He could move very quickly if need be. There was something familiar about him.

"Where is she?"

"Don't you wanna know who I am first?"

"My guess is you're the guy walking around disguised as Layla's friend Henry. The one who befriended her in the airport. I wasn't sure until now but you're also Rollins' go-to man to clean up loose ends."

The man chuckled. "That's right mate, Henry Forrester at your service. I was hired as the backup plan. An insurance policy if you will. If you didn't give Rollins the device, I'd get rid of her. If you gave him the device, Rollins would still get rid of you and her. Very limited options, really."

Sean looked at him impassively. "Where is she?"

"She's safe for now... I'll tell you what, I'll make a deal with you. You take me down and I'll instruct my men to let her go. I'll take you instead."

Sean was already removing his black tux jacket and threw it to the side. His once crisp white shirt was now wrinkled and had specks of Rollin's blood and dirt on it. He might as well get this over with.

"And I'm supposed to just trust that you'll let her go?"

Henry smiled displaying a full row of somewhat crooked teeth. "Of course."

"You're full of shit."

Henry let out a chuckle. "No weapons, just your fists. I'll let her go in your place."

"No weapons? And you'll let her go unharmed."

"That's right. See?" Henry withdrew the semi-automatic pistol from his jacket, raised it up and slowly lowered it to the ground. He kicked it to the side, far away from both of them.

Sean withdrew his gun, lowered it and kicked to the side as well.

They squared off, fists in position. Impulsively Sean threw the first two punches, one right after the other. Henry's head involuntarily snapped to the side. He let out smile. "Not bad."

Then in succinct order, Henry threw blow after blow of hard rapid punches. He socked Sean in the ribs, face, ribs and face again.

Sean let out a grunt but skipped back away from him. He spit to the side and a little bit blood streamed out. With his hands up he was ready for the next round. Sean could tell this man was an expert bare knuckle boxer. His fists felt like bricks of solid mass. He was fast too. He didn't even realize he'd been hit until he was done with the fourth blow.

Henry cracked his neck and cleared his throat. He was going to enjoy this.

Sean wanted to wipe that smirk off of his face. Badly. Then the motherfucker spoke...

"You know that girl of yours sure is pretty. Mm-hmm. Skin like Nutella, I just want to lick her up and down."

Sean saw red.

Sean charged him like a bull. But Henry easily dodged him. Instead Henry landed another punch to Sean's already tender ribs, catching him off guard. Henry took advantage and yanked him into his knee and continued kneeing him in the stomach over and over again. As Sean hovered, Henry slammed his elbow on Sean's back. Right above his lung. Sean doubled over in agony and wheezed. He was short of breath. It felt like he was choking.

Henry crouched down and whispered. "Now, I didn't get a chance to touch her yet, but..." he deeply inhaled "she smells so good. Like flowers."

Sean's pained eyes pinned his with the deepest hatred. Die. This man was going to die today.

Sean screamed at his body but it wouldn't cooperate. He could barely take in air. He just needed a minute, but he was cornered.

Then Henry attacked again. He roundhouse kicked him across the face. He held him by his collar and punched him repeatedly in the face. Sean couldn't do anything but take it. He felt so weak.

He was too emotionally invested. He kept making careless mistakes. He wasn't thinking logically or strategically. No doubt that was Henry's goal as he taunted him.

As he felt the violent blows, Sean cleared his mind. Just as he trained.

He made himself hollow.

Like a steel drum in the middle of a lush forest.

The smell of the sweet morning dew lulled him and numbed him from the pain.

There was nothing around him. Nothing could hurt him. Nothing could break him.

Soon Henry's punches slowed. His fists felt heavy and his shoulders drooped. In that moment Sean's head turned towards Henry with his eyes closed. His gaze was serene. As if he was sleeping. Henry was caught off guard. He didn't know what was happening.

Suddenly Sean opened his eyes and head butted him with all his strength. He heard a sickening crunch. Henry stumbled and let out a shrill cry of pain.

"Fuck, not again!" Henry growled through clenched teeth. This would be the ninth time his nose was broken.

Sean didn't let up, he was like a machine. Blow after blow. Something from deep inside of him was unleashed. He swiftly administered it to Henry's face and torso. Then, in one fell swoop, Sean kicked Henry's legs out from under him. The large man landed on his back with a loud thud. He remained unconscious on the floor.

Sean quickly raised his fists in a fighting stance again but when he saw his opponent was finally down; he cautiously watched his every move. Sean dragged Henry's heavy body to the wall and tied him up with some rope he found.

Sean quickly grabbed the guns they discarded and smacked Henry awake. "Hey. Hey! Make the call."

Henry's eyes filtered open and struggled to get out when saw he was tied up. Henry clenched his teeth.

Sean mashed his foot over the rib he knew was broken. Henry let out a roar as he gurgled from the searing pain.

"Do it." Sean hissed.

Henry gestured towards his phone in his pocket. Sean retrieved it and Henry instructed him to dial the last call. As soon as the other line picked up, he barked out orders to bring her out.

Sean's aim remained steady on Henry, but his head turned towards the sound of shuffling.

"Easy. Easy." Sean instructed the two armed men he saw walk in by Layla's side. There she was. She was wild eyed and looked completely petrified.

"Lower your weapons and let her go."

When the men didn't immediately comply, Sean eyed Henry and dug his heel into his side even harder. Henry squirmed and yelled for them to listen to him. They slowly removed their weapons and slid them to the side. Then they promptly released Layla from her restraints and took the gags off.

When Sean and Layla's eyes met Sean let out a small smile and she whimpered as tears fell from her cheeks. Her heart beat loudly in her chest. Her heart broke at seeing Sean. He looked badly bruised. His face was full of purples and blues and his eye was swollen. He came for her. Just like he said he would. God, how she wanted to run to him and hug him! She wanted to tell him how sorry she was.

Layla looked at the men and slowly walked towards Sean. She was only a few feet away. Just a little closer...

She rushed over to and ran into his arms. He held her tight and deeply inhaled. Before he uttered a word, his gaze shifted and in that millisecond he realized Henry was gone.

He quickly turned around, but it was too late.

Suddenly without warning Henry stabbed Sean in his mid-back with a large blade.

"No!" Layla screamed. Sean's eyes widened in surprise as the excruciating pain traveled through him. He almost passed out from the piercing vibration that echoed throughout his back. Layla tried to attack Henry, but the men were already there and restrained her. She kicked and scratched and screamed but she couldn't get out from under them. Her world collapsed.

Henry let go of him and Sean had no choice but to fall to his knees. He tried to reach behind but any movement made him cry out in pain.

Henry let out a hearty chuckle. "That was for breaking my nose again." Then he roughly grabbed the gun out of Sean's hand.

Sean's breath was labored and he furrowed his brow in confusion and despair. "Just let her go." He managed to say.

When Layla caught hold of Henry's smirk, she screamed and yelled obscenities at him. She couldn't believe this vile man was Henry. Someone she thought of as a friend.

Earlier that day when she first realized this man was the Henry she befriended on the trip there, bile rose from deep within her gut.

Three men approached her and Ron. He was the guard Jason sent to accompany her. Initially she was surprised to see Jason send a guard to accompany her, but even more surprised to see they were being approached by these men. At first she thought they were also there as additional security.

They didn't know what was going on, but knew something was terribly wrong when they became hostile. Even though Ron had a gun, he was no match for these men. Henry barreled over towards Ron and swiftly snapped his neck and continued on his way.

Layla's eyes widened in horror as shock overtook her. It wasn't until she was dragged away that she realized they were actually there for her.

Layla found out Henry had been wearing a disguise this whole time similar to Merle's. He was completely different in real life. He was no longer jovial, sweet and well-mannered; he was a merciless killer. His sole purpose was to get close to her to cause her and her friends harm. Desperately she tried to scream but was quickly bound and gagged. She didn't know what the fuck was going on, but she remained silent when she saw the crazed look in his eye.

When they arrived at the location they were at now, the unscrupulous armed men grabbed her and shoved her to the hard concrete floor.

They told her to shut the fuck up and stop squirming around. They looked to be in an abandoned building. As the time passed, one of them remarked they were bored. The other suggested they have some fun while looking suggestively towards Layla.

Layla tried to shuffle away, but one of the men quickly smacked her and pulled her hair while the other taunted her. They told her the disgusting things they wanted to do to her. They said they liked to hear her scream and how much they wanted to her scream louder.

In response, the bile she managed to hold down all this time, came up. She threw up all over one of the men's shoes. The man was completely enraged. He barreled towards her, reaching for her neck to choke her with his bare hands.

Suddenly they heard a noise. The man immediately stopped dead in his tracks as they looked on towards the door in curiosity.

Layla thought it might be Henry, but it wasn't. It was a man who came in. This one was more intimidating than all of them. He didn't speak and looked almost bored to be there. His eyes lifted towards the men and one of his eyebrows rose at the unfolding scene. That was the extent of expression he showed. His gaze was almost apathetic.

He was tall, had a dark tan, aristocratic nose and full lips peeked from under his well groomed beard. His jet black hair was slicked back and he looked as if he was of Arabic ancestry.

His face held no warmth as he disgustedly looked at the men. The two men looked as if they were about to piss themselves in the presence of this stranger. Layla heard one of them utter his name. Haseem...

One of the men whispered that Haseem was one of the Rollins's most feared and most respected lieutenants. A natural born killer, he said loud enough so only Layla could hear. He smiled wickedly at her as if relaying a promise.

Haseem's gaze briefly landed on Layla before he continued to walk into the room. It was then that Layla saw it. She noticed a long sword strapped to his hip. Her whole body immediately shook. A horrible foreboding feeling came over her. She closed her eyes tightly and bent over as several tears managed to escape her eyes.

How did this happen to her? Layla thought back to how different her life had been just a few hours before. She could've been on her way to her home or even back at the house enjoying the wedding. How she wished to be back in her bed sipping some hot tea.

She felt a gentle tap on her shoulder and looked up to see Haseem. He didn't say anything and didn't look concerned for her welfare, but surprisingly offered her bottle of water. She was thirsty, but she wouldn't dare drink it. She didn't know if it was poisoned or drugged. Haseem seemed to understand her trepidation. He grabbed an empty cup and poured some of the water in it and drank its contents. As if to assure her it was safe. Finally with great hesitation Layla took the bottle and gulped the water down. She let out a contended sound as it quenched her thirst.

The two men looked on in irritation, but didn't dare utter a word.

Then she heard some commotion outside. Henry came in and looked mad as hell. He muttered something about there being an ambush. Something about that little motherfucker Sean had it all planned out. Layla's heart leapt when she heard Sean's name. There may still be hope for her.

However Henry assured the men they would get paid, they just had to follow through on the plan. Apparently someone named Rollins still had people who would ensure the money reached their bank accounts as soon as the job was done. The men agreed. Henry then looked towards Haseem who remained silent during the exchange.

"And I don't give a fuck who you are, you follow my lead. Alright?"

Haseem's looked at him unfazed. He looked uninterested in acknowledging Henry and instead let out a sigh. Obviously used to this man's antics, Henry took it as a confirmation and left the room.

Now as Layla looked at Sean, he looked to be in so much pain. All she wanted to do was be in his arms one more time. Guilt struck her. He was there for her. He gambled his life for her. There was so much she needed to tell him.

One of the men pushed Layla to the ground and forced her to kneel across from Sean.

Sean stared into her eyes even as the numbing unimaginable pain spiked through him. God she was beautiful. Maybe he never deserved her. This is what happened to the women he fell in love with. Suddenly a ball of regret and self-hatred threatened to consume him.

He was defeated. His shoulders sagged and he could only whisper, "I'm so sorry."

Layla shook her head and cried. She recognized the look of defeat in his eye. No, they had to have hope, even if there was none to be had.

"Now, the boss was very specific on how he wanted this to go. He said, put him and the girl on their knees facing each other... and to use a sword. Just like old times he said." Henry let out a chuckle.

"I don't really use swords, but I'm damn good with a blade. So I'm going to need that back."

Henry grabbed the blade still imbedded in Sean's back and, with one swift motion, pulled it out. Sean let out a torturous sound. He gurgled and felt his consciousness start to go in and out. The pain he felt was beyond physical. At that moment he was transported to years before.

It was happening again.

He was powerless to stop it.

Again.

His vision went blurry. All he smelled was the sweet smell of the Khan farm's poppies. It made him sick to his stomach. He inhaled deeply as though he couldn't get enough oxygen to his lungs. His chest rose erratically and he was disoriented.

Sean could hear Layla's hysterical cries as they blended with Khatira's. Khatira, the pretty local girl he was completely infatuated with. The girl who lay her trust in him only to be let down. He blinked several times and saw Layla.

Blood. All Sean could smell was the sickening iron-filled scent everywhere. There were bodies everywhere. His friends, his captain... all good soldiers dead at the hands of pure evil.

Sean realized the sickening iron-filled scent of blood he smelled was his own.

Hassem finally appeared behind Layla and the guards. He'd been on the phone for a couple of minutes prior. Henry wondered who he spoke to. He'd better have been talking to whoever was going to get him his money. He had a plane to catch.

12