Edward Lane's Argosy Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"If it gets built," Tayanita finished, sourly.

"What?" Edward asked in surprise. "I thought you came back from America loaded with gold and jewels."

"Not as such -- but I did come back a wealthy man. And wealth I earned in my own hand, by the by, not taken from my father's," her brother said, proudly. "Yet I have this yard to pay for, my crew to pay, plus the cost of this ship," he sighed, concern haunting his eyes. "I have not spoken openly about it, but . . . well, my funds will run out in months -- and it will be at least two years before the Argo is skyworthy."

"It's true," Tayanita confirmed. "I've had to reduce some of my expenditures . . . and we are making progress on the envelope structure, and the gondola is mostly framed in, but . . ."

"Bah! We took plenty from that Moriscan corsair," Gideon reminded her. "Enough for a few additional months, at least. And I can always sell off a precious tank of Helium to keep us afloat."

"Don't you dare!" she almost shouted. "That noble element is the key to our whole enterprise!"

"I know, I know," Gideon agreed, clearly frustrated with the prospect, "but if it's the only way forward . . ."

"We can go raiding in the Victrix if we need more funds," she countered, shaking her head. "Air piracy isn't my natural calling, but if it keeps the creditors at bay . . ." This was not a discussion she wanted to be having now, especially in front of this . . . surprisingly handsome stranger.

"See, Edward? I'm a thief as well," Gideon chuckled. "I just steal to a larger scale. But if I don't, then all the money I've spent thus far will have been wasted."

"Actually," Edward said, mildly, "I think I may have a solution . . . for all of our problems."