English Rose Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Gojenngo
Gojenngo
763 Followers

It was then that Douglas decided to move them all back to London. "My father wouldn't care where we grieve," he'd told her. "I know for a fact that he despised the period of mourning that left friends and family alone during the worse of it. I suspect he would have approved of us returning to London."

"Of course," Sabrina agreed and quickly made arrangements to move them back to London. They were leaving today, Mae and Douglas already out front waiting on horse and carriage. Slipping between the two of them, Sabrina locked arms with Douglas. "It's done," she said quietly.

Douglas had asked her to do the final walk through, to make sure that the house was properly prepared to be locked up for however long they were gone. All but a few servants would be returning with them to London and Arlington Park would sit until they were ready to return. Douglas suspected that Mae might never return, instead opting to live out her life in London among friends. He had already offered her a place with him and Sabrina or the use of any one of the estate's many townhomes. For now she would stay with them and had left the rest for later to decide.

"We'll take our time going back," Douglas said as the carriage was brought around for the ladies. Sabrina had offered to travel with Mae while Douglas opted to ride. "There are several small towns between here and London and I know of at least one tavern with a delicious meat pie."

Sabrina smiled up at Douglas. "It will be lovely," she said. "Especially as the weather appears to be holding." Her husband looked tired, mostly from grief, and ready to be gone from this place. His father's death had hit him harder then even she had expected. She understood that he felt cheated out of time with the man he'd only just come to know and love.

Turning to Mae, Sabrina offered her arm. "Come, I know that Cook prepared enough food to see us all the way through to London and I believe she packed a good bottle of wine."

"More then one, I hope," Mae said as she stepped up into the carriage. Sabrina followed, assisted by Douglas who gave her a quick kiss before closing the door.

Through the window he said, "We'll ride for a few hours and then stop to stretch our legs. If you need anything before then just knock on the carriage roof."

"We'll be fine," Sabrina assured him.

Douglas mounted his horse and sat quietly, watching as the carriage started to roll down the drive. Turning, he stared up at the house remembering what it had felt like to arrive for the first time an invited and welcome guest only to stay as part of the family. Arlington Park had become home to him as well as Sabrina and a part of him rebelled at leaving. Still, it was too painful for Mae and he had a responsibility to the living. He would be back. Maybe not soon but eventually this would be home once again.

****

Joan stood staring out the window. She'd been thrilled to find that her rooms faced the front of the house and overlooked a fashionable section of London. From here she could watch as lords and ladies made their way through town often time crossing through the park, a corner of which she could glimpse from her window.

If it was too early or too late to be fashionable Joan could still content herself with watching servants hurrying from place to place. Some were on their way to and from the market while others delivered messages for master or mistress. It was a busy area with plenty to occupy her mind.

By the end of the first week she had had enough. Letting the curtain fall back in place, Joan stepped away from the window and surveyed her domain. With all of her trunks unpacked the room had quickly taken on a personal feel. Her books and belonging littered just about every available surface. What space wasn't taken up by reading material held needlepoint, several different pieces in progress, or writing supplies. It was organized clutter and Shelly had come to understand it was not to be touched.

Thank heavens for Shelly. The young maid was Joan's only source of companionship often sitting with Joan while she took tea or worked on her sewing. Without that small comfort Joan surely would have gone crazy from loneliness by now.

Every morning Joan woke alone though every night Marcus joined her in bed. Together they had explored all kinds of delights of the flesh until they both fell exhausted into sleep. But every morning Joan woke to find Marcus gone and the door between their rooms locked. She had no idea where he went during the day, where he took his meals or where he slept.

At first she had wondered if there was another woman. Perhaps someone with whom he'd been involved with before his marriage and who he refused to give up. Married men and mistresses were common among the ton and Joan told herself she could accept such an arrangement. However, Marcus never smelled of another woman, never seemed to go out of his way to bathe before seeing her. If anything he only ever smelled of booze.

She'd mentioned it once.

"You've been drinking," she said as he nuzzled her neck, his movements slower and more deliberate then usual.

"To ward off the demons," he mutter, her comment catching him off guard.

"What demons?" Joan asked.

Marcus lifted his head. "The demons that will devour us both." Blinking he tried to clear his head and grasp onto the thread of conversation. "Nevermind," Marcus said.

Joan had wanted to ask him more but he'd pointedly ignored her quary until he'd found new and exciting ways to distract her. Still, days later his comments haunted Joan and left her wondering just what kind of demons her husband was fighting.

Her own thoughts were interrupted by a soft knock on the door. "Enter."

"You rang, my lady?" Mary entered and dipped a quick curtsy.

"Yes, from now on I will take my breakfast in the morning room," Joan said. She'd given it some thought and decided that she was done spending her days and nights alone in her room. From what she could tell the townhouse was large with several rooms. The fact that her husband chose not to inhabit them did not mean she could not.

"The morning room?" Mary asked, her trepidation evident.

"Yes, the small room on the south side of the house. It's well suited to act as a breakfast room." Joan started towards the door. "As of today that is where I will take my morning meal."

"My lady, his lordship doesn't like the rooms opened except for cleaning," Mary objected as she followed her young mistress out of the room and down the stairs.

"Well, his lordship isn't here and I am," Joan said, infusing her voice with a confidence she didn't feel. Quickly, she walked towards the back of the house to the small morning room she had spied during her first morning in the house. It was small, south facing and had plenty of windows. A tabletop to seat four meant that she could breakfast alone without feeling at sea like she would in the formal dining room with its table to seat twenty.

Like every room in the house the drapes were drawn but the furniture in perfect condition and not a speck of dust in sight. Choosing a chair, Joan sat herself and the looked pointedly at Mary. "I understand Lord Edington has given his orders, however, he's not here and I am." Joan felt her face heat at having to state the obvious. "I doubt his lordship will have anything to say over my use of the room. If he does then he may take the matter up with me."

Joan was pleased to see her hand didn't shake as she laid her napkin in her lap. "Now, if you please, have the drapes opened and my breakfast brought it. I would also like to see this morning's edition while I break my fast."

Mary stood indecisive for a moment before bowing her head slightly and hurrying from the room.

Joan did her best to enjoy breakfast while reading the paper. She was out of touch with the going-ons and it felt good to catch up. She told herself that she wasn't the least bit jealous at the long list of entertainments that she had missed.

"Thank you," she said as one of the footman cleared her plate. Please ask Mary to join me."

"Yes, my lady," the footman said and exited the room.

A moment later Mary appeared looking decidedly nervous. "Yes, my lady?"

Joan put aside the paper and stood. "I would like a tour of the rest of the house as well as an introduction to the entire staff." She was embarrassed at having to order such a thing. Her husband should have seen her properly introduced to both house and staff upon her arrival. However, the only thing her husband seemed inclined to do was drink and makelove to her. The latter she didn't mind so much, quite enjoyed it actually, but she was tired of feeling like a guest in what was supposed to be her own home.

Mary gripped her fingers tightly before once again bowing. She was quickly coming to recognize that look upon Lady Edington's face as well as the stiff set of her shoulders. Mary gave word that the staff was to gather in the foyer in one half hour's time before leading her mistress through the entire house.

As Joan suspected, the townhouse was large with two upper floors, the main floor and a lower floor. The top floor housed the guest quarters, the second floor the family quarters and the lower floor the servants' quarters, kitchen and washroom. Every room they passed was closed up tight, drapes drawn and in some cases the furniture covered.

"It's a lovely home," Joan said.

Mary nodded but didn't say anything.

"What's in there?" Joan asked and pointed to a closed door at the end of the back hall.

"I beg your pardon, my lady," Mary said and went to open the door. "I forgot about the small sitting room."

Joan stepped into the room and immediately fell in love. It was indeed small, barely big enough to hold a chaise lounge, two sitting chairs and a couple of tables. But what gave it its charm was the small, private garden. Opening the doors, Joan stepped out onto the porch and found herself enchanted by a small fountain. The water was running despite the cold weather and the fact that no one appeared to be using the room. "It's beautiful," she sighed.

Mary nodded but didn't say anything.

"I'll take it," Joan said and smiled. For the first time she felt real pleasure at being in the house. "After breakfast I'd like to retire here to go over whatever business needs tending for the day."

"Yes, my lady," Mary said. "If you'll follow me the staff should have gathered by now."

Joan turned to go back inside, reaching out she lightly laid her fingers on the housekeepers arm. "Thank you, Mary, for showing me the house."

Mary colored slightly at the gratitude. "Of course, my lady. I'm just sorry one of us didn't think of it sooner."

They both knew that it was no servant's place to suggest such a thing. Still, it was kind of Mary to say.

Together the walked through to the front of the house. Joan was surprised by the number of servants that had gathered. There were several footman, upstairs maids, downstairs maids, two wash women, Cook, Cook's three assistants and an errand boy. It was a rather large staff for a household serving a lone man. More so when you considered the fact that Marcus appeared rarely at home and never entertained.

"It's a pleasure to meet you all," Joan said after the introductions had been made. "I look forward to getting to know you all better. Cook, Mary and Shelly will you follow me, please?" Joan didn't wait for an answer, just turned and made her way to her new sitting room at the back of the house.

Joan turned and waited as the three other women followed her into the sitting room. "Shelly, take a couple of the other maids and a footman with you to retreive my needlepoint and writing desk."

"Which of the needlepoint will you be wanting?" Shelly asked.

"All of them," Joan said. "I want to move all of my sewing projects down here."

"Yes, my lady." Shelly curtsied before hurrying from the room.

"Cook," Joan turned to the older woman with a smile. "I was hoping you might be willing to add one or two of these dishes to your current rotation of meals." Joan pulled a list she'd prepared earlier from her pocket and handed it to a surprised Cook. "They're just your basic description of a couple of my favorite meals that were prepared in my house growing up. I'm sure you probably already have something similar and if so I would love to try it. If not then perhaps you might try and come up with something. Whatever it is I'm sure it would be wonderful - as all your meals have been. I'll leave to you to decide when and how to work them into the menu."

Cook took the list and gave it a quick once over - there was nothing particularly difficult and the young mistress was correct, she already had several similar dishes that would do nicely. Still, she bristled a bit at the direction.

"Oh!" Joan said, her smile growing even brighter. "I didn't write it down but if you would be so good as to prepare that fig and honey dessert again some time soon. That was quiet possibily the best thing I've ever had."

"My lady?" Cook looked up from the list.

"The night before last," Joan clarified. "I don't know what you did with it but it was warm and sticky and absolutely amazing."

Cook's stiff shoulders relaxed slightly at the compliment. "Of course, my lady. I'll be sure to add it into this week's menu."

"Thank you," Joan said, knowing full well how prickly senior staff could be. "I must admit that figs are one of my favorite - well, that and chocolate. Really, anything sweet. I have a rather incureable sweettooth," she admitted with a slight blush. "I've really enjoyed your tea service, the scones are the best I've ever had though if you tell my mother's cook I'll deny it to my last breath!"

Cook gave a genuine smile of pleasure. "It pleases me to hear that you enjoy them so much. I make 'em fresh every morning."

"Well, they're wonderful," Joan said.

"If I may, my lady, perhaps you would like to review the menu?" Cook suggested.

Mary couldn't stop her start of surprise. Cook was notoriously protective of what she considered her domain. She rarely allowed anyone in her kitchen and had never been known to consult even his lordship on the menu.

"I would like that," Joan said. "Perhaps you could put together a menu and we can review it later this afternoon and then once a week thereafter."

"Aye, my lady, that sounds like a fine plan," Cook said.

Mary watched Cook hurry from the room before turning back to Lady Edington. She was quickly coming to re-evaluate her initial impressions of the young woman. At first Lady Edington seemed content to stay in her rooms hiding from the rest of the house and quite possibly the world. Servants talked and it was no secret that Lady Edington had been forced into marriage with his lordship.

Still, the staff had taken to serving her ladyship in her room knowing that an uninterested mistress was better then an overbearing and controlling one. Mary had come to think that the new Lady Edington didn't have it in her to run a house as a lady should. Perhaps she'd been wrong. The past few hours had shown her young mistress to have a vein of strength beneath her delicate exterier. "My lady, is there anything I can get you?"

"Please, have seat," Joan sat on the chaise and indicated the chair across from her. Mary would be considered a senior level servant - one that had run Lord Edington's home prior to his marriage. "I know that my marriage to his lordship was...unexpected. It is my hope that the news wasn't entirely unwelcome and that you and I can find a way to work together. You have done a fabulous job running the house and I have no desire to disrupt what you have here. However, I was raised for one thing and one thing only and that is to be mistress of my own home. I find myself at odds with little to do throughout the day and I'm hoping that you can help me find my place here."

Mary sat up a little straighter, her hands clasped in her lap. "I've worked for the Edingtons for well over twenty years, first as a downstairs maid, then an upstairs maid and finally taking over as housekeeper when old Maggie passed away. The Edingtons have always been good to me, to all of the servants which is why we stay. His lordship is a good master if a bit absent and distracted but he doesn't take advantage of the maids and doesn't tolerate anyone that does. Having said that," and here Mary paused to gather her thoughts, "it would be a welcome relief to have a mistress of the house that was willing and able to oversee the servants and make decisions. As it stands, there is plenty of work that doesn't get done for want of his lordship's permission."

Joan felt her heart clench at what was obviously a loving but neglected household. What had happened to drive her husband away from his own home? Leaving that thought for another day, Joan gave Mary what she hoped was a warm smile. "I would be delighted to do what I can. Hence forth we will meet each day to review the needs of the household. We can start with the accounts and servants' schedules and duties and go from there. Once I'm familiar with how the house runs we can start to divide tasks between us. Maybe two hours each afternoon to start with."

Mary was nodding her head vigourously. "I think that is a marvolous idea, my lady."

"Excellent!" Joan sat back feeling inordinately pleased with herself and with the progress she'd made so far.

"My lady?" Mary asked.

"Yes?"

"I wonder if we might start with the correspondence?" Mary said.

"What about it?" Joan asked.

"His lordship has us leave it on his desk only he rarely has time to read through everything. I'm not so worried about the social invitiations and announcements that arrive. However, there are several of the house accounts that get billed to his lordship only they go unpaid. Eventually, the shopkeepers stop delivering until the accounts are brought current. It's not for lack of funds," Mary quickly reassurred Lady Edington. "It's just that his lordship doesn't have the time..."

"...or inclination," Joan muttered.

"...until the situation is brought to his attention." Mary didn't bother to describe what that usually involved as it was an unpleasant experience for everyone concerned.

"No worries," Joan reassured the housekeeper. "First thing after breakfast bring any correspondence that have been delivered up until now to me here. I'll sort through the missives and anything business related can be placed back on his lordship's desk. I'll speak with Lord Edington and ensure that he has a separate household account set up that we can work from." She didn't mention that she had no idea when she might next see her husband.

"Thank you, my lady!" Mary stood. "If I may suggest, you've had a busy morning, why don't I bring you your tea early and you can enjoy it while revewing the correspondence?"

"That would be lovely," Joan said, a little surprised at the ease with which the housekeeper had turned to her.

Mary turned and started from the room.

"Oh, and Mary, some of Cook's scones?" Joan called as Mary started down the hall. She would have sworn the housekeeper was laughing as she went.

****

Sabrina arrived in London bone weary and in desperate need of a bath. Four days on the road ridding in a carriage had left layers of grime on her skin that she thought might never come off. The only good thing was that the wet weather helped to keep the dust down.

Mae had made for a quiet traveling companion, the older woman staring out at the passing countryside stirring only to stretch her legs or join Sabrina and Douglas in a meal. Sabrina was familiar with grief, if in a different form, and knew that sometimes the best thing a person could do was leave you to it.

"We're here," Douglas said opening the carriage door and offering his hand. Sabrina was surprised when Mae insisted that she go first.

Gojenngo
Gojenngo
763 Followers