Enter the Cat

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Mygypsy
Mygypsy
1,329 Followers

"Either she's associating with a stray ...... or possibly she's about to turn?" Steven suggests.

"Dibbs," I say and both Steven and Pete look my way in astonishment. A slow grin spreads across Steven's face and he leans against the door jam casually.

"As far as we know she's human," Steven tells me.

"I don't care. She's the one," I say evenly as I stake my claim. I don't know what it is about her but I feel as if I should know her.

* * * * *

It is a long night even though we take turns watching for the return of Pete's neighbour, it is not until after we have eaten breakfast that her ute turns into her driveway. Anxious to find out if she spent time with a stray all three of us hurry to get into the passenger van Steven and I arrived in. By the time we reach the neighbouring house the woman is standing beside her ute with her forehead resting against the edge of the roof. She looks up as Pete gets out and approaches her. She lets him take her by the arm and walk her towards the house. It is obvious she is exhausted by the way she holds herself and the way she drags her feet as she walks beside him.

"Everything alright Pete? We can wait for you if your neighbour needs a hand," I say raising my voice slightly. It is impossible to miss the way the woman beside him jerks nervously and glances back over her shoulder before they disappear into the house. Pete returns to the doorway after a minute or so and motions us inside.

"I'm going to cook Tawny something to eat while she showers. You two can come into the kitchen but that's it. If you go into any of the other rooms or upstairs it'll freak her out," Pete warns.

I can hear her at the top of the stairs; her tread is slow and laboured as if it is all she can do to put one foot in front of the other. I watch as Pete sets about cooking scrambled eggs and bacon.

"Well?" I ask when I hear the sound of running water.

"She stinks of strays and cattle blood. Definitely three separate strays, probaly a fourth ... possibly female, the scent isn't right somehow ..." I barely listen to the rest of what Pete has to say as the ramifications of Pete's comment hit me. If there is a female stray around it means big trouble. The stray toms will try to establish a home of some kind for her even if it is just a cave and a secure hunting ground. But this isn't good enough; even a stray female needs much more than that. She needs plenty of toms around to protect her and her kitts when she starts a family - toms that will spoil and pamper her treating her like the delicate and special cat she is.

"We might need to call in reinforcements," I mention to Steven.

"See what we can find first today and tonight?" Steven suggests, I hesitate a moment before nodding agreement.

"Why will our going into rooms other than the kitchen freak her out?" I ask Pete suddenly as I hear the shower start running.

"Tawny is just very strange. No touching, she doesn't have anything to do with men and she definitely likes to keep her own personal space clear," Pete says turning to look at me enquiringly.

"Just like a were who doesn't trust the others?" Steven suggests.

"Or just like a woman who has been severely abused by a man at some stage in her life and distrusts all men because of it," Pete says firmly. I regard Pete thoughtfully for a few moments; he's what we call an outlier. He lives in the human world, a part of normal life yet set apart from it because of what he is.

"You wouldn't be thinking you have prior claim to her would you?" I ask in a soft voice that belies the possessiveness growing in me.

"If Tawny isn't interested in you I'll back her decision all the way, even against you Micah," Pete says uneasily as he breaks eggs into a bowl and begins to whisk them.

"Easy on Pete," Steven says soothingly as he tries to deflect his brother's attention. I walk around the small kitchen and foyers as I listen to the two brothers argue between themselves. Pete might not be warrior material but he is certainly protective of his female neighbour in true tom fashion. I frown as I realise I can't detect any scent in either room other than a light floral perfume and an underlying scent of citronella.

I study the few possessions in the rooms. The main item catching my eye is an enlarged picture of Tawny as a child standing beside a man dressed in hiking gear, and both of them wear solemn expressions on their faces. I study the angles of her face in the picture and again I get the sensation I should know her, but I shake it off as a part of the pull I feel towards her.

Overhead the sound of running water has stopped and I can hear her moving around. The soft buzz of a hair dryer starts and I make my way back to where Steven and Pete are arguing over something from their childhood while Pete chews on a piece of crisp bacon. A quick glance at my watch tells me over thirty minutes has passed since Tawny turned on the shower and I clear my throat making both toms look at me. I motion towards the stairs and Steven looks at his brother as Pete pulls a biscuit from a container. Clearly he knows his way around the kitchen real well.

"She's nearly here. You sure you smelt traces from four roving strays on her?" Steven asks seriously in a quiet voice as light steps brush against the top of the stairs. I turn my head to watch the stairs and I am rewarded when Tawny moves cautiously into sight. She pauses in the doorway and glances around.

"I found your secret stash," Pete says trying his charm on her but she seems unmoved as she flicks a quick glance at Steven and me.

"Tawny I haven't introduced you to my brother Steven yet have I? Remember you met Micah briefly last night?" Pete asks around a mouthful of cookie, Prince Charming he isn't.

I watch as she sits down to eat keeping plenty of room between her and us even Pete is kept at a distance as she begins eating and quickly notices the absence of bacon despite the aroma of freshly cooked bacon hanging in the air. I watch as her and Pete exchange words and feel remorse as she pushes her plate away from her even though the food is only half eaten. Her face is pale and her nostrils flare briefly as she closes her eyes, clearly she is exhausted and here we are keeping her out of her bedroom!

"We should leave and let Tawny get some sleep," I say quietly and she gives a slight start as she opens her eyes and glances my way. I feel as if she is looking past my large build and seeing the tom beneath the big gruff exterior as she gives me a small smile that reaches her unusual violet coloured eyes. I miss what the others are saying as I watch her lips move as she talks to Pete and then she is looking my way as Steven and Pete make a move to leave. The faintest of blushes colours her cheeks as I give a polite nod and return her smile. She quickly averts her gaze then glances back at me hurriedly causing pleasure to build in me at her obvious interest. She hides behind the long white blonde curtain of her hair as I turn away and follow Steven and Pete from the house.

"You didn't tell us your neighbour is such a dish," Steven says with a playful shove for his brother. Pete growls soft and low in his throat as they turn to face each other but I walk up between them without hesitation and slap Steven hard across the back of the head making him duck away from me.

"What was that for?" Steven demands in a soft hiss.

"Work it out for yourself or do you want me to hit you again?" I demand in a no-nonsense tone.

"All right, all right," Steven mutters and gets in the rear of the vehicle we came over in. "I'll keep all comments to myself."

Pete hesitates a moment as he eyes the front seat where Steven had sat on our way here then clearly deciding to risk it he climbs into the passenger seat and slams the door shut. The ride back to Pete's place is silent and I am regretting loosing my cool with Steven when we pull up in the driveway.

"Are we going out to where those cows were killed?" Steven asks when I hesitate at the rear of the van instead of heading inside.

"We'll take the bikes and go check out the kill site, look around to see what we can find," I decide. We head to where our motorbikes sit on a specially built trailer in a shed out of the weather. It only takes us a few moments to unload the sturdy trail bikes and wheel them out to stand them by the van.

"I didn't mean any disrespect back there at the other house mate. That Tawny is a beautiful woman and from what Pete has told me of his neighbour, she's quite someone special as well. If you're serious about her - considering as far as we know she's not a werecat, then good luck to you. I hope things work out the way you want," Steven says quietly in a serious tone, which is unusual for him so I know he really means it.

"Yeah well thanks. Maybe I should enlist your help if I have to persuade Jazzy not to kick up a stink because Tawny is human." I say wryly with a half smile as I think about my younger sister. "I'm just going to grab a print out of that report that was done and take it with us to see how well it tallies with what we can tell," I say and head for Pete's front door. I can hear Steven following me as I step up onto the veranda and Pete is working at his computer in the corner of the lounge room. I walk over to stand behind him and watch as he double checks long columns of numbers.

"Yeah?" Pete asks when he turns away from the computer to look at me.

"Can I get a print out of that report so I can take it with us when we go out to where the cattle were killed?" I ask.

"I figured you might need a copy," Pete says as he picks up a large envelope and turns to hand it to me. I take it and pull the loose leaves of paper from it pleased to find Pete has stapled then together in one corner.

"So what's the story on your neighbour? She's single isn't she? Doesn't have a boyfriend or whatever." I ask firmly.

"No, Tawny is a loner. No boyfriend and my guess about the woman who was staying with her was just that, a guess. I'd take it real personal if anyone was to hurt her," Pete warns me with a dark look and I raise an eyebrow as I look at him coolly.

"In all the years you've known me have you ever known me to hurt a female regardless of the species?" I ask Pete evenly.

"No," Pete says slowly and hesitates a moment, "but Tawny is different."

"The closest thing you've got to a Queen or a she-kitt to protect hey?" Steven asks as he halts beside me.

"She's the closest thing to a close friend a tom can have in human society," Pete says focusing on his brother. "Hell she even cooks those caramel cookies especially for me that we had with coffee earlier."

"Enjoy it while it lasts 'cause she won't be doing it much longer," I tell him tightly as something akin to jealousy curls in my stomach.

"Come on, let's get going. Those cow carcases aren't getting any fresher," Steven announces and I glance his way. He motions towards the door and I head out reluctantly, I can't help the feeling Pete was challenging me over my interest in his neighbour.

* * * * *

The examination of the area where the cows had been killed yields a lot of interesting clues. Even after over twenty-four hours the ground holds tracks, both around some of the dead beasts and in the surrounding long grass and scattering of trees. Stray toms have attempted to mark their territory spraying urine on trees and scratching dirt and twigs near faeces but the slight dew of the night before has already taken the sharp edge off the scent markings.

We identify three distinct scents of toms and hidden back in the thickest grass near the trees is the unmistakeable scent of a she-kitt. In and around the yards is the fresh scent of a tom that has marked over where there are boot prints as well as along the crush where dried blood and matted hair are smeared on the rails. Most intriguing is the way the carcass in the yard has been torn up around the gaping cut in the side and heavily marked with sprayed urine on the upper side. We catch the faintest whiff of a faint but elusive scent around the yard in three places on the rails and even when we take turns changing into cat form we can't learn any more from the strange unknown scent.

We return to Pete's with the plan to eat a large supper and head out again after dark, taking food along as we plan to change and try to follow the scent trail left behind by the strays.

Steven takes the first shower when we get back to his brother's place while I fire up the wood fuelled bbq and start cooking large amounts of meat to take with us later. As soon as Pete gets back from work he grabs a couple of cold beers and comes out to the patio.

"That's a lot of meat," Pete comments as he eyes the bbq grill.

"We're going out again once it's dark. You want to come and earn your right to live around here?" I ask with a grin that is meant to tell Pete no censure is meant. Pete might not be a warrior but like all his brothers he is a darn good cat to have with you in a fight.

"I'll look forward to it," Pete says with a grin.

"Look forward to what?" Steven asks as he walks out onto the patio wearing only his jeans.

"Pete's coming with us later," I tell Steven as I hand over the bbq tongs. "Don't burn the meat. Any charred cold meat goes to you," I warn him before heading off for a shower. Steven might be great at cooking roasts but put him in charge of a bbq and we are lucky if we don't end up eating charcoal.

I don't take long in the shower but take the time to get a fresh crisp clean shirt out of my duffel bag and pull it on before heading back out to the patio. Surprisingly Steven has a shirt on and has taken the time to run a comb through his hair and I raise an eyebrow at him as I step back into my previous place at the bbq.

"Pete I want to swing by your neighbour's place when we head out," I announce.

"Going to invite her for a moonlight skinny dip are you?" Steven asks with a wide grin.

"No need to stop by Tawny's on the way out; she's agreed to come over here for tea." Pete says and pauses before adding cautiously, "I know you're a damned decent tom but ... can you just be careful to give Tawny plenty of space. She's not like most human women or even most she-kitts."

"He promised her he'd make you back off if you became too friendly," Steven says with glee clearly enjoying his brother's nervousness.

"Do you seriously believe I need to be told how to treat a female?" I ask slightly insulted. I get a lot of attention from she-kitts because of my large size. Many of them have told my sister that I make them feel very dainty and feminine. Or so she has relayed to me frequently.

"Tawny's a very good friend and I type of feel responsible for her," Pete says uneasily.

I shrug and turn my attention to the bbq grill flipping cooked meat onto a flat tray and hand it to Steven before beginning to toss a variety of meat onto the grill.

"What meat does she like?" I ask.

"Either burgers or the thick steaks," Pete answers and glances out over darkening surrounds. "I'll go put these in the oven for now."

I hear him head inside. The distant hum of a motor reaches me and I glance at Steven who immediately walks around to the corner of the house to look out along the driveway. He returns quickly and gives a slight nod as I glance at him enquiringly.

"Her ute has just turned into off the main road. Are those burgers just about done? My stomach thinks my throat has been cut I tell you," Steven says with feeling as he takes a plate and begins putting salad makings on a large bun. I squash the mince patties down with an egg flip, checking they are cooked before turning them over once again.

"A minute more," I tell him and Steven scowls but waits for the burgers to cook. I have just put the cooked burgers on a plate when I hear the soft feminine voice and Pete's reply; I listen to them move through the house and then I can hear her heart racing and nervous breathing as she stops somewhere behind me.

"Tawny has decided to join us," Pete announces.

"How do you like your meat?" I ask without looking her way. There is a slight hitch in her breathing and she seems to hesitate for a second before answering.

"Medium rare and slightly charred," she answers quietly.

"Steak, burger patty or sausage?" I wonder at her preference.

"A nice thick steak if there's any, or just regular steak." The tension is starting to leave her voice and I chuck on several thick steaks for myself.

"There's a regular one here just about ready. Want fried onions with it?" I ask as I arrange the steaks to seer quickly over the hottest area. Pete whines about the steak belonging to him and I give a low growl warning him of his place. She steps closer oblivious of the tension between Pete and I.

"Looks too cooked for me. I can wait for one of the others," she says in that silky voice and I glance her way catching her very nervous smile.

"You're looking much brighter this evening," I tell her softly.

"Getting the chance to sleep can do that for me." Her voice is steadier and I feel anger that she should have to work over night because of outlaw strays. She drops her gaze quickly and I curse myself silently as I rope in my anger.

I can't stop myself from watching her as the tip of her tongue traces her full bottom lip before her teeth worry it and she reaches for a plate. She is watching the meat cook with a kind of deep hunger as she piles cooked onion on the plate but her attention isn't solely on the food as she keeps darting quick glances my way as well.

"See something you like?" I can't help myself as I pitch my voice low and intimate. I hear the slight catch in her breath and the rise in her heart rate.

"That thick piece of steak nearest me," she says in a breathy whisper and I smile faintly as I get the impression she is trying to project a sophistication she doesn't have. Her pupils enlarge in her startling violet eyes signalling her interest as I place the piece of steak on her plate then she hurries away as I dish up my own food, scurrying as if frightened by her own daring.

I move to stand to one side behind her, resting my plate on a waist high planter box as I use a knife and fork to cut a chunk off the large steak. Tawny moves slightly as she turns her head and I realise she is nervously checking the distance between her and everyone. I watch as she turns back to her food cutting it up in tiny pieces before putting a piece in her mouth. The breathy little sigh of pleasure that comes from her tightens my loins and I grit my teeth as I glance at Steven who is watching her with delight. He glances my way and motions towards her with one hand and winks at me signalling his approval.

I eat even though it is another appetite that wants appeasing and I wait until Tawny's plate is clean before stepping forward and reaching over her shoulder to reach for her plate. She starts slightly and glances back over her shoulder but there is none of her earlier fear and caution in her exquisite eyes only a strange kind of startled pleasure. I head inside and hear Pete asking if she'd like a drink that she declines mentioning the work she had been out on.

"I'm putting a movie on. Who wants to watch it?" Steven asks.

"What are you putting on?" I ask even as I look out where Tawny is relaxing in the solitude she now has. I grab myself a beer and a can of coke before heading back outside to move a chair over near her and sit down. I watch as she turns her head towards me as she opens her eyes; she seems curiously relaxed and I offer her the can of coke which she takes with a shy smile. She relaxes once again and I take the chance to study the lines of her face from half closed eyes as she turns her face back towards the glow of the nearly full moon.

"Looks like it's going to be a full moon tonight," I say softly.

Mygypsy
Mygypsy
1,329 Followers