Eva

Story Info
A college dropout becomes a co-lead in a top TV show.
13.8k words
4.56
22.1k
10
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

CHAPTER 1

Eva Everett was dropping out of college because she thought the systems sucked and she'd stupidly chosen to study biology instead of drama only to find her interest waning faster than her staccato sexual interest in any guy. Now her interest in drama was returning.

What a fucking mess, she'd fumed, coming to the 'I'm quitting' decision.

Her counselor had summed it up neatly. 'Eva dear, consider pulling the plug before you become dead in the water'. Clichés for sure but in Eva's position they motivated her. At twenty-one who wants to be dead in the water?

The natural impulse of the scrawny natural blonde with big boobs was to run, ignoring Harry her father's warning if she pulled out she'd be on her own with no financial support from the family and he'd pounce if her mother ferreted money to her. He'd always been an asshole over money but dad was dad and she had to admit he remained okay despite being so hard-assed over this.

But she chose to delay her exit because that would let the cast down. Eva had a role in the Student Theater Club's production of 'Bang, Bang & You're Pregnant', written collectively by the third-year drama class and designed to draw the attention of young women to the perils of unprotected sex. Because it was a serious attempt to draw attention to a real social issue it had attracted funding from the city's Arts Society and that had been used to upgrade costumes and engage a professional director.

Eva was Phoebe, a pregnant eighteen-year old who raised money for an abortion by using her body, intercepting men emerging from bars.

On opening night the pathos generated by Eva and the standard of her untutored acting compared with the bulk of the troupe who mainly were drama students was apparent to the audience. She received a standing ovation when she was called to the line-up at first curtain call, overshadowing the enthusiastic clapping and whistles received by the principals.

A parent in the audience with his family to see the performance of his daughter, the second lead female actress, had returned the final night purely to once again see Eva play Phoebe. Darren Bryce gate-crashed the production party and was immediately recognized by Kate Smith, the director.

"You're out of your league here," she laughed, kissing Darren. "I saw you here last night with some of your family. Are you here to take Sylvia home?"

"No, James is looking after her. I want to know about the chick who played Phoebe."

"God you noticed her. She's a freak. She's never been taught drama at school or college and filed in for an understudy who became ill and then the original Phoebe fell off her mountain bike and severely lacerated her leg. So I pulled in Eva and almost wet my pants. She just flowed into the part and had already committed her lines to memory. She required only light direction."

"Take me to her please Kate."

"Oooh, lucky Eva. Find something for her Darren. She's a biology student and has become bored and is dropping out. She'll need work."

"We don't run a benefit for penniless drop-outs."

"Ah yes, but you haven't a mean bone in your body Darren and you already see something in our Eva."

"You can never tell."

"You mimic your profession Darren. You're acting a reluctant stooge."

He grinned and followed Kate. Eva was drinking beer from a bottle.

"Eva, it is my pleasure to introduce you to Darren Bryce who..."

"Oh the director of Skipjack TV Productions. My mom has big bucks invested in your outfit."

"Oh really? Who is she?"

"Mrs Harry Everett but she appears on your stockholder's list as Amelia Casey."

"Christ, you're Amelia's daughter?"

"One of three actually. I'm the baby of the family -- mom's mistake. She ended her illustrious career because I gave her a diabolical pregnancy."

"I remember that -- she just disappeared. I was just starting out and she was something of a legend."

"Well if you are sucking up for an introduction I'll take you to her."

"No, not. It's you I want."

"Oh really? In college life I don't have the reputation of being a babe big into debauchery."

"No good heavens. I want you screen tested for 'Boston Babes'.

Conversations around them ceased. Eva found it difficult to breathe. She squeaked, "Me?"

"Ohmigod," Kate said, clutching her bosom.

"Claire Brampton is not available for the new season because she's won a contract for a Hollywood film. Our search for just the right replacement has not been going well. All the tests have been of make-me-a-star young women who wouldn't know how to drag a lame leg or spell humility or wouldn't have a hope of acting unfeminine or under-act the feeling of pain or rejection."

"And you think I do?"

"Now that you've mentioned it yes."

"All right, I finish here at college tonight. So take me off on one condition."

"What's that?"

"I'm not made to play a sweet girl. My older sisters bullied me so playing the under-dog comes naturally to me."

"No problem. If you screen test successfully we start you on a clean sheet as a newcomer to the group of four, taking Claire's place. We can't use the words under-dog or downtrodden in pre-launch promos but we'll come up with something."

"Well if you are that interested come and see us tomorrow. Here's mom's card. She's not going to believe this. She tried first with Robyn and then with Dinah to get them into TV but they bombed. I'm virtually an outcast within my family so you'd best go carefully with mom. She doesn't have red hair just to be nice to people."

"God who's been auditioned?" Darren muttered and caught Eva's stunning smile he'd not seen before.

When Kate took Darren off some of the cast gathered around Eva.

"Oooh you're so incredibly lucky."

"Nah, someone else will come up who captures everyone's heart."

"But Darren has decided he doesn't want another bimbo."

"Yeah, well you know how guys change their minds. Anyway I've gone off the show; it's become rather predictable."

"Well you should give it your support Eva. It's the most popular drama of women aged eighteen to twenty-four. Those four young women are big stars."

"Well I'd rather become an aging great actress than a star. The lights go out for stars. My mom was one of the finest female drama actresses of her generation and could have gone on forever had I not come along and fucked her up by giving her a difficult pregnancy."

"Oh Eva, come on. It wasn't your fault."

* * *

Eva had no idea what was involved. The tickets arrived and they were for New York, not Boston. Her mom said, "Darling they shoot most of the show in New York because that's where heaps of facilities are located. You'll only go to Boston occasionally for shooting live locations to convince viewers it's all shot in Boston."

"And for authenticity."

"Yes dear. And that too."

To Eva's surprise her mom was treating her royally. Amelia had been knocked sideways when Darren had explained the reason for his visit. Eva had simply said a Mr Bryce was coming to see her about Eva's future direction. Amelia assumed Mr Bryce was a job placement guy coming to check out Eva's background to bolster her lackluster formal credentials.

After Darren had left Amelia had taken Eva into her arms and cried and rocked her and finally said what she'd be thinking. "I'd always thought one of you would have inherited my theatrical genes."

"But you never thought it would be me?"

"No and you have a right to think unkindly of me for that."

"No, it's okay mother. I'll try to make you proud of me but it will be tough; I believe I've convinced Darren I need to play the anti-heroine but others working making the tapes might want to dispute that, even the writer."

"Few people can play that convincingly without appearing all bitch."

"If that so? Well mom, start talking. I need to know everything about playing such a role."

For the next three days Amelia lectured and rehearsed Eva.

"You are a near-natural darling. God I can't believe I didn't see it in you. I have been very careful not to steer you away from acting your natural self. What we have done is to give you technique and our hard work especially on facial expresses and posing has been most successful, I believe. Your posture is unbelievably good. I think I should come to New York with you."

"No mom. I'll be fine. I'll handle the cast and the directors and coaching staff my way."

"I'm pleased you insisted on going to that expensive college, winning me over and then getting me to work on your father. This great opportunity would not have risen had you not gone to that college."

"Whatever mom. Let's see what I can make of it."

CHAPTER 2

Manhattan was only 150 miles away by train so since her late teens Eva had been a frequent traveler to Manhattan. The hotel she was booked into was marginal but she decided to stay otherwise she'd have to pay for her three night's accommodation. At least it was near the production house.

Eva met her contact, Mrs Sims, at 2:00.

"Oh my you may have set a new record for arriving ahead of time."

"It's polite to be on time."

"Most of the young women we deal with are ego-driven."

"What's that?"

Mrs Sims smiled and said, "I'm going to like you Eva. Please call me Betty.

They toured the four former warehouses.

"Is it what you expected?"

"I had no preconceived ideas and knew it wouldn't be like Hollywood."

"No dear. That's where dreams are made. Here we deal in reality."

"Will I meet the scriptwriters and lead actors?"

"No dear. The scriptwriters rarely come here and the cast is all on leave. You'll not meet them, um unless you test successfully. What is it about you? You don't look glamorous if I may say so. All we have been given is your name and our instructions."

"You think I'm Mr Bryce's toy girl don't you."

Betty colored. "The thought has been discussed. We don't like mysteries."

"It's nothing like that. He saw me in a college play and invited me to screen test."

"What as the lead out of a college play?"

"Oh no. I only had a bit part, well third female lead."

"Ohmigod, was Mr Bryce drunk?"

"I don't think so. He said I appeared to be a natural. When we were talking he asked were any actors in the family and I said only my mother."

"Who is she dear?"

"Amelia Everett."

"Sorry, don't recall her."

"Well try her maiden and stage name. I held back hoping to surprise you. Mr Bryce thought it was significant. Mom was Amelia Casey."

"Ohmigod, Ohmigod. That's it. Darren believes you have your mother's acting genes."

Eva giggled and said, "Please don't say anything about this Betty. Just let it run as Mr Bryce apparently wants it to run with no one doing anything special or saying anything special. Allow the mystery to prevail."

"Very well dear. He'd kick my ass anyway if I messed up his mission."

"Which is?"

"To have you play a bit part in one of our productions."

"Which one?"

"I have no idea but perhaps a walk on in '5th Avenue'."

Eva offered no comment. Betty passed her on to Sheryl, a hair stylist.

"I have no instructions for you Mystery Girl."

"Then I'll tell you how I want my hair for the test."

"Then go ahead."

"I need to see the script first. I was told it would be written for me."

"Well that's fine. Just allow me to examine your hair and get the feel of it. This afternoon is for you to get the feel of our establishment."

Sheryl passed Eva on to Leslie in wardrobe.

"Ah the Mystery Woman. I have no instructions on how to dress you; just to dress you."

"Then I'll decide tomorrow when I've read my script."

"Very well. Make sure you give me plenty of time to do it. We'll be dressing other people -- we have five productions going at the moment. Let my take your measurements now. God you have great boobs for someone so thin."

"It's me. Please don't flatten me out tomorrow."

A guy Daniel took Eva to a small studio. "I'm to run tapes of film tests and the making of film tests to give you understanding of what's involved."

"Okay, could I have a drink?"

"What kind of drink?"

"A beer would be great."

"Oh good. You don't sound like a stuck up bitch. Do you mind if I sit with you once everything is running. Some of it will be tedious so we can talk."

"Yeah that's fine."

Betty asked Eva to arrive at 9:30 in the morning when the script would be ready.

She dined alone, went back to her room and watched TV and went to bed early.

Next morning Betty rushed out of her office to greet Eva. "Hi, did you have a good night on the town?"

"I ate alone, I watched TV alone and went to bed alone and had breakfast alone."

"Well this is New York baby. It's a city of lonely people. Come and I'll introduced you to Charles Drake. He'd a bit actor and is being paid to read with you. He'll be off camera so you'll need to rehearse until you two are in tune and get it right. You'll have no direction. When you are satisfied Charles will take you out to lunch. On your return get your hair styled and go to costume to be dressed."

Charles was a thin, shifty-eyed guy who said he played an assistant professor at a show called 'College Girls Live it Up'.

Charles opened:

"Good afternoon Miss Mayo. I understand you are new to our unit?"

"Yes, there was a vacancy and I grabbed it. Wow this is so exciting."

"It can be very tedious."

"You're kidding."

"You'll find out Miss Mayo."

"Call me Darlene."

"That's a horrible name."

"Thank you Mr Slimeball. You can fuck off."

Eva was horrified. "Charles is this all I have to read?"

"Yes, and you'll be asked to read it deadpan, no acting or showing emotions but use voice inflections of course. That's for the audio test. And then you will be filmed responding to me. It's dialogue. You have to deliver without any prompt or looking as if you are searching your memory for the next line. You will be test for credibility involving naturalness, smoothness and telling the story of those words by what you say, how you say it and how you react. Your images on film will be carefully assessed."

"But the dialogue is drivel."

"Is that so? Let me explain. It allows you to first express excitement to unleash any vitality you can display and then as I talk about the reality you can perhaps show hesitation and then doubt and concern and then you show anger and convey it visually as well as by foul language."

"Oh god, I see it now. I've memorized my lines. Let it rip. First the straight dialogue and then packing in the emotions."

"Are you sure you've memorized the scrip word perfect?"

"Of course. I can do two A-4 pages doubled spaced from memory after one read if its simplified dialogue plus instructions. Two or perhaps three reads if it's really complicated."

"Jesus."

They went to early lunch after the impressed Charles had said, "I can see why you are been screen tested. You have it in a big way."

"What's that?"

"On screen charisma."

"Oooh Charles. You make me feel sexy."

Charles frowned and said he was gay and in a relationship.

"But I still feel what I feel from those words. I wasn't coming on to you Charles."

"Oh, that's okay then."

* * *

At 5:00 Betty walked Eva to a studio.

"I still cannot believe you chose to look like a social misfit rather than a glamorous stage queen."

"Because the part I'll have involves a powerful and long transition."

"What part?"

"I'm not at liberty to tell you."

"Oh god, you are Darren's pick as Claire's replacement."

Eva told Betty to keep her mouth shut or she'd have more than her ass kicked by the boss.

"You're right. Thank you darling. Would you come for dinner this evening? I don't want you being lonely in New York."

"Oh Betty, you darling. Thank you. I accept."

"Well here we are. Gawd looked at everyone who's turned up to watch. Your reputation as the Mystery Woman has spread. Everyone could be excused for thinking we are filming a nude scene."

"We're not are we?"

"No, and that's gospel. Just be yourself and keep relaxed and remember you are here to become a real actress."

"You are so comforting Betty."

Eva appeared in front of a single camera against a textured blue background. Betty introduced her to the director Muriel Shanks. "Just relax and be as expressive as you wish. Try to avoid over-acting darling. I'll instruct you through the sound system."

Eva was shown exactly where to stand and was told at no time to move from that spot. She looked across and smiled at Charles who was seated just to the right of the camera. He smiled and gave the thumbs up.

"Right Eva and Charles, here we go. When you are ready Charles."

Eva remembered to remain dead-panned and remain still and that was the audio test over and then followed the full-on audition.

She frowned and presented side profiles left and right and repeated them and snarled the final lines, hands on hips.

"Cut," Muriel called. "That's good enough for our purpose. Lower the big screen Jerry."

There was a wait while the test was assessed and then Darren Bryce entered.

"Hi everyone and a special hi for you Eva. Okay Muriel, let's see what we've got."

Charles held his hands on Eva's shoulders. "Don't panic, it was good. Perhaps great. But very few people look good both live and on screen. My pick is you've made it."

"Thanks for that Charles. I'm only a little shaky."

The reading was fine, Eva being word perfect, clear and her timing was excellent. She was amazed how good she looked on tape.

"You have met my expectations Eva," Darren said as the enthusiastic applause died.

"Everyone, tomorrow Eva will be offered a contract to replace Claire in 'Boston Babes'. As you all know Claire has gone to Hollywood."

There was a moment of silence and then applause.

Darren held up a hand. "For those of you longer in the tooth this will be self explanatory. Eva is not a trained actress. Eva has acted in only one dramatic stage production that by chance I saw because my daughter was also in that college play. Eva as the third female lead stood out for me like a beacon. This is a miracle I thought. And so it was because acting for her appears hereditary if you can believe in such a thing. Eve is the youngest daughter of the great Amelia Casey."

There were gasps from people in the know and younger people were asking who was Amelia Casey.

"Let's have a brief look at Amelia Casey in 'The President's Passionate Daughter' released in 1989, Amelia's final film. No film is everyone's film but the scene of Amelia as Lydia trying desperately to induce a CIA bodyguard into seducing her ought to be compelling to anyone capable of appreciating highly dramatic and full-on acting."

The clip ended to applause and Darren said, "When I first saw that scene as a young guy steam practically blew out of my ears. We hope we haven't embarrassed you Eva?"

"No it's fine; it's one of mom's favorite clips. She has a film room at home and copies of everything she ever filmed once she began gaining a reputation as a good actress. I began watching them with her from a very early age. Within a couple of years I suppose it was she had me repeating her lines. Se pushed me into saying her lines with the sound volume turned right down. I guess in a way she was making me the young Amelia Casey."

People listened spellbound as Darren coaxed Eva along to reveal Eva had never been formally coached in acting or acted in anything until her recent college play.

"I guess until I turned fourteen and became unruly I was simply my mother's plaything -- she using me in a charade to regain her youth. She was fifteen in her first film."

Darren smiled hugely. "Everyone you have been introduced to Claire's replacement. Eva will be left as her natural self and this will cut across the grain of everything viewers and all of us have become accustomed to in 'Boston Babes'. It's time our babes began to show a bit of maturity in their growing up and to stop living out life like clones. Eva will have a role that will rip them apart so our existing babes will be a fiery little coven until they adjust. With that happening and if we manage to capture it on tape, ratings for this third series are likely to soar."