Eva Ch. 06

Story Info
Eva goes to college.
1.2k words
3.87
12.7k
3

Part 5 of the 5 part series

Updated 10/02/2022
Created 09/04/2011
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
sobstory
sobstory
23 Followers

The street is lined with stately old maple trees, with strong branches casting a fresh, green, protective glow over the street.

Two states and four hours after leaving the diner, I pull into the administrative office's parking lot. The temporary confidence awarded my by the kindly waitress and the classic soul marathon on the radio had vanished. I had no idea if I could show up unannounced and hope for a dormitory room, or if I'd have to stay at a motel and search for a job right away. 200 dollars doesn't really go very far and I want to save all of the money in my bank account for tuition and housing.

I turn off the engine and pull my wallet and acceptance packet, which I did have the forethought to bring when I fled, out of my bag laying on the passenger seat. I open the car door and lock it, then walk towards the small brick building. I walk across the bright parking lot, squinting my eyes at the sunshine reflecting off of the cars and building windows.

The first thing I see is a small, mousy woman sitting at the desk, clacking away diligently at the computer. When she hears my footsteps on the linoleum, her head snaps up and I see a sweet, heart shaped face surrounded by short mouse brown hair

Her surprise soon gone, she stands at the desk, smiles and says, “May I help you?”

“Yes,” I say nervously, “I was supposed to be enrolled here in the fall but there was an emergency and I had to come up now.”

“Is everything all right?”

“I don't know,” I say.

“I'll see what I can do,” she says, “We might be able to put you up with one of the off-campus students until the fall. Is it so very important that you stay here so soon?”

With my eyes beginning to sting once again, I say, “I have nowhere else to go.”

Concern is growing on the woman's face. I have never been good at hiding my emotions, it is one of my weaknesses.

“Do you have any family, friends, that you could stay with?”

“None, ma’am,” I say, my face now burning. When will the roller coaster of emotions stop?

The woman spins around abruptly in her chair and begins rummaging around in a desk drawer. Before long, she pulls out a thin stack of papers.

“We keep lists of students looking for roommates and also lists of jobs in the area, if you're interested,” she says as the pushes the sheets across the desk towards me.

“Thank you so much,” I say.

She gives me a warm smile and says, “take the lists, I have more copies. There are phone numbers on all of them.”

I thank her again and leave the building. I sit in my car for a half an hour, looking through the lists. All of the names on the housing list had a phone number and a short description of what they were looking for. The list of jobs was basically then same. I circled some of the people I could conceivably live with and some waitressing jobs. I'd waitressed in high school, something I thought could work to my advantage.

I folded up the lists and put them in my bag, immediately starting the car and heading towards what looked like the main street of town. It had been almost a year since I looked at this school with my parents, so, while it was vaguely familiar, I still felt lost and foreign in the small college town.

There were droves of tan, smiling girls with their boyfriends. I felt, probably imagined, there eyes on my as I rambled slowly in my beat up Volvo, face drawn, exhausted, pale, too thin. I quickly pull into a parking lot next to a deli with the sign “Payphone Inside” in the window.

Purse in hand, I stalk into the deli. Lately, it seems that I never simply walk, either stalk or slink or scurry or curl up in a corner and hope no one notices me while I do my business. The payphone is directly inside the deli, which is very busy. I pull out the list of potential roommates and push a few quarters into the slot, starting with the first name on the list, Winifred E. Payne. Her description of her apartment says “two bedroom, one bathroom, small but well-lit, looking for a female roommate, must be quiet and reliable.”

As the phone rang, I start imagining what kind of girl she could be. I had always loved people, as introverted as I could be at times, I just loved meeting people, getting to know them, and just being around another person.

“Hello?”

Her voice is faint and crackly over the old payphone but I am immediately charmed by its melody.

“Um, hello,” I say, “er, my name's Julie Cass and the woman at the administrative office said you're looking for a roommate?”

“Oh, yeah,” she says, “I'm Winnie. Are you going to be a freshman this year or what?”

“Yeah, a freshman.”

“Well, I'm a sophomore so I guess I know the town better than you. Wanna come down and look at the place?”

“Sure,” I say. My mom always said to never go in the house of a stranger but Winnie doesn't sound like a serial killer. On the contrary, she sounds rather nice.

“Here's the address,” she says, “one oh five Pershing...”

“Wait wait wait! I need a pen,” I say, smiling a little. I grab the greasy pen from next to the phone book and begin writing on the back of the list.

“Okay,” I say, “ready.”

“One oh five Pershing Avenue, apartment four.”

“Thanks! When do you want me to come over?” I ask.

“Anytime. I have class at five though.”

I look down at my watch, three 'o clock.

“I can be there soon. I'm at the deli on Main Street, how do I get to your place from here?”

She gives me quick instructions and I thank her and hang up. I walk out of the deli and back into my car. After looking both ways like a good girl, I start driving.

Only getting lost once, I manage to pull into the driveway of a large, white house. I park next to a large red pickup truck and a worn-down blue van. I get out of the car and when I walk up the stairs to the front porch I see a small glass case housing the directory next to the door.

W. E. Payne, Appt 5

The door opens for me onto a small hallway with three doors and a stairwell. I make my way up the stairwell. The building is slient. Right up the stairs I see apartment 5 on my left. I can hear faint music coming from inside, too faint to know what it is. Since there is no doorbell, I knock, quietly at first, then louder when no one answers.

I am not kept waiting long. Soon, the door swings open and I am greeted by a pair of smiling gray eyes.

sobstory
sobstory
23 Followers