Everything Looks Better Ch. 02

Story Info
Fanfiction of Final Fantasy 10: Raine learns Summoning.
7.5k words
4.53
8.9k
2

Part 2 of the 12 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 08/04/2014
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Clunkety
Clunkety
102 Followers

Room 4, Rin's Travel Agency, Macalania

The water tasted swampy, Raine realized, smacking on the tap's aftertaste as she peered into the glass. Swallowing with a grimace, she dumped the rest down the drain and set the cup on the aqua tiled counter next to the bathroom's rust-stained stone basin. Zanarkand's water tasted clean and sweet, surely the product of a higher grade filtration system, and Raine felt a stitch of guilt. She wasn't in Zanarkand anymore and the Travel Agency in the middle of Rural, Nowhere was only doing the best it could. Refusing to be a water snob, she made another attempt, filling the glass with a few swallows and downed them hastily, overlooking the faint sewer tang.

Combing her fingers through her bangs, she twisted her lips reproachfully at her reflection. Her hair had gotten shorter and straighter over the years and this morning it had been so pretty, fun, with loose curls and a lavender moon flower in her ear, but now it was flat and separated and needed a brushing. Unfortunately, she hadn't the luxury of packing a bag before Auron pitched her into the portal, but she did have one thing that would help.

She shuffled over to the toilet and set the lid down, bracing a bare foot on the top as she gathered up the material of her wedding dress to her thigh. She pried the lace and ribbon garter down her leg. Raine thought her husband would be taking it off her, now it was her new cute hair tie. By design, her hair was just long enough to collect in a tiny thatch at the base of her head, like a blonde shoe-shine brush. That was her only stipulation to her hair dresser in Zanarkand: she had to be able to pull it back.

"Raine?"

Auron.

"In here," Raine called. After a final inspection in the etched mirror over the sink, Raine swung the bathroom door wider.

Auron was standing by the wood-carved table in the center of the room, sifting through an open suitcase. Raine could see it was full of mostly clothes, arbitrarily folded.

She roamed around the room uneasily, her arms folded together for lack of anywhere else to put them, pausing here and there to inspect some quaint detail. The profile of a yellow lion was weaved into the fabric of a crimson banner hanging over the bed's headboard. There were handmade glass vases on the dresser and the antique lamp on the stand by the bed had been rewired with machina. She was looking through water, the strange weightlessness of déjà vu overwhelming her until she realized she'd been staring unthinkingly at a framed notice on the wall, written in another language. Was it the same language on the signs outside? Probably, but chances are it didn't say anything extraordinary. Likely just fire drill instructions or the house rules, like no loud noises after 10 o'clock or how pets were not allowed. Could Auron read it? Could he speak it? Gosh, she'd known him almost all her life and she didn't know if he spoke another language.

Floating over to the window, where gold tasseled pull-backs draped away emerald velvet curtains to let in pale blue winter light, Raine observed as a trio of men approached the Travel Agency from the opposite way she and Auron had come, walking along the snow shoveled path in waterproof boots with fur trim. They were more suitably dressed than Raine and Auron had been on their arrival. One was wearing long green robes with flowy sleeves, holding a staff with a strange gold pinwheel at one end. The other two wore heavier, sturdier garments, belts, gauntlets and swords at their sides. One had a shield shaped like a star attached to his forearm.

"Raine?"

Coming back inside, Raine blinked at Auron. She'd been aware he'd been busily moving around the room, but she hadn't been paying attention to what he was doing. Now, he was sitting barefoot on a stool at the table, leaning an ankle on his knee, unfolding a pair of dry socks. His feet were blindingly white, the nails clear and closely cropped.

"You're all right?" he asked sternly.

Numbly, she nodded, and meandered off to another part of the room she found interesting. She had always believed Auron when he talked about Spira, his home, but bizarrely believed it less now that she was here.

Had the man outside been a Summoner, too? If so, he had two Guardians. Did that mean two Guardians were better than one? Raine understood Yuna had several Guardians. Was her chance of beating Sin less, since she only had Auron? If she did manage to beat Sin with only one Guardian, would she be treated differently? It was unlikely she would be in Spira long enough for that kind of popularity, since she planned on returning to Zanarkand as soon as she could.

But something slimy and cold hit her behind the breastbone when she realized Sin had been a part of the portal. No Sin, no portal. Auron didn't mention she would have to leave her loved ones behind, not that there were many she would miss: Great Aunt Naya, Colton from work...Jory. Most of the ties she made were loosely bound, a simple, shoelace knot that could be easily unraveled with a single tug when it was time to move on.

Still, she gave Auron a sour look just for the principle of it, but he was too busy slipping on fresh socks to see it. Auron had an iceberg of knowledge, but he only chose to show her the tip.

Time slid away from her and for a few minutes she was a figurine, wearing a bedraggled wedding dress in the middle of an otherworldly motel, absently watching Auron. Not much time went by, she realized, just enough for Auron to put on both boots, tuck in the legs of his pants and have one tied up, but by the time she was aware of herself again, he had stopped in the middle of lacing the other.

"You're sure you're okay?" he asked again.

She stared at him a few beats, uncomprehending, and when she spoke, the words coming out seemed not her own. "I—I've never seen your feet before."

Nimbly, he finished lacing up his boots, without taking his eye off her, tilting his head, bemused. "And?"

Gently sinking onto the beaded coverlet adorning the bed, she gave his boots a humorless expression. "They're veiny."

"Hmph."

By now, she had learned what his grunts and mumbles meant. This one in particular meant: Interesting.

"I can't believe you walked across the snow fields wearing just your socks. You'll get frostbite."

"I've had frost bite. This isn't it."

She nodded vaguely, mind afloat again, thinking of other things, snapping back suddenly when something occurred to her. Auron had approached the dresser, transferring the clothes from the suitcase to a drawer, but she didn't remember him even getting up.

"Rin called you Sir Auron," she remarked.

"Hm," he said affirmatively.

"Why?"

"Complimentary title."

"For beating Sin?"

"Hm."

Twice. Auron beat Sin twice. Maybe that was why the Summoner in the green robes outside had two Guardians. They were less experienced. "Should I be calling you Sir?"

Auron scowled. "Please don't."

Stifling a smile, she knew already she'd be calling him Sir, just to aggravate him.

"Will I get a title for beating Sin?"

Hands buried in the suitcase, Auron hesitated for a nanosecond, so quick it was barely noticeable. "They will call you High Summoner Raine."

"Nice ring."

Auron replied with a slam of dresser drawer and the colored vases tinkled together as they wobbled. To her, he tossed some clothes from the suitcase. "You'll have to change."

The tunic was short-sleeved, bright blue with beads embroidered at the neckline and the trousers were tan, straight-legged and made of thin linen. She looked at them with mild interest, checking the sizes first and nodding her approval. At least they were clean and smelled freshly laundered, which was how Raine knew they were used, but it wasn't the first thing she'd claimed second-hand and it wouldn't be the last. "Auron, it's 20 degrees out there. These pants have less protection than my dress."

His eyebrows knit together over his sunglasses, two lines forming readily between his eyes. "Trust me."

"Who bought them?"

Auron raised his chin, loosely offended. "I did."

She tried to picture Auron at a clothing store, picking through the stock, guessing at sizes, coordinating colors...the image simply wouldn't coalesce in her brain. "With your vision, I'm surprised they don't all clash," she said dryly.

He straightened his posture at her, raising an eyebrow, but she didn't apologize. The skin around his sunglasses crinkled and she knew he was smiling under his belted collar.

"Are you back?"

She grinned, bewildered. "Back?"

"Sin's toxin has a muddling reputation."

"So does switching worlds," she muttered.

"Good point."

He bent to pick up his cloak from the bed, sliding his arms into the sleeves. It was made of tightly woven cotton and silk and dyed red with navy satin trim and gold stitching. He reached for something on the table, something she hadn't noticed before, and clipped it to his belt with a beaded rope. When he turned, a bone-white, stoneware jug swayed weightily on his hip and she could read the single word painted in a dark glaze on the side: "Nog." Whatever that meant.

As he clasped the belt on his great coat, his sunglasses rested on her. "We don't have all day."

"I know." She glanced reticently down at her dress. "But I can't reach the back."

Approaching her dutifully, he turned his palm up and bent his fingers twice to get her to stand up. She did, showing him her back.

"It's a zipper," she said, hoping to relieve the swell of tension as Auron assessed her garment.

"I see that," he mumbled and added, "Nice hair band."

She'd forgotten all about it and automatically touched the lace at the back of her head. "It's all I had."

"Hmph."

Suspiciously, her eyes darted back and forth across the bed, unable to interpret his grunt accurately. Did he mean Interesting again, or was he saying it disapprovingly?

Pinching the fabric at her neckline, he unzipped her charily. She was sucking in, holding her breath, the teeth of the zipper splitting, and she waited to see how far down he would go. She never had to ask him to do this before; any dresses she owned at home fastened at the waist. Of course, she expected to take her wedding dress off at some point, but under amatory circumstances.

"Can you reach it from there?"

Raine wrenched her arm behind her, the tips of her fingers touching the metal closure, which was centered between her shoulder blades. Inexplicably embarrassed, Raine's face flooded with heat. "Thanks," she said tersely and felt the need to quickly dart into the bathroom and close the door. Unfastening the dress the rest of the way, she jumped out of it, but was greeted with more discomfiture: the underwear she had on was new and white and pretty. Again, not how she expected her wedding day to end.

Handling her dress delicately, she swung it over the shower rod to keep it off the floor as she dressed, even though she'd just spent half the morning stomping through wet snow fields, constantly tripping on the hem in Auron's dirty, oversized boots.

When she was done, she carried her wedding dress into the main room like a lover. Auron was still emptying the suitcase, filling up a second drawer. In the closet to her right, Raine looked for a hanger, but the rod was placed too low for the length of her dress, so she hooked the hanger over the top of the door instead. Arranged at the foot of the bed where she would see it was a long, warm coat, stitched from the tanned hide of some animal, and on the floor next to it, a pair of small boots.

"Are we going somewhere?" Raine asked.

Auron was unpacking the last few articles from the suitcase, just wads of fabric in his hands as he chucked them into the drawer. "Macalania Woods."

"What's there?"

"Fiends."

"Oh, right. My preparation," she said. She meant it as a jibe to his earlier choice of words, but it came out bitter. She sat on the bed and inspected the boots before inserting her feet into them. They had high arches to better support the shape of her feet and they showed signs of light wear on the soles; also used.

"We have a lot of work to do before you're up to speed."

"With the other Summoners?" Raine remembered the threesome from the window.

"If they're new. Some will be giving the pilgrimage a second try. Some even a third."

"How can I compete with that kind of experience?"

"Experienced Summoners are not necessarily the bravest," he murmured, securing the front clasps on the suitcase. "The last two Calms were prompted by brand new Summoners. Remember that."

She nodded with resolve and felt like she should be taking notes.

Auron carried the suitcase to the closet, where he gave the wedding dress a perturbed look before swinging open the door and stuffing the luggage somewhere in the back. Without hesitation, he also snatched the dress and shoved it into the closet, kicking the overlong hem inside so he could close the door without catching the material in the hinges. Raine's face fell, offended, wounded, like he'd just struck her puppy, but she lowered her head and fixated on lacing her boots, pretending she hadn't witnessed him handling her dress so gruffly.

Downstairs, Rin was unpacking a new box of flasks for display on a rotating wooden rack, quickly dispensing the last couple when he saw Raine and Auron descending the stairs.

Auron advanced to the counter and Raine hovered inconspicuously behind him to discourage Rin's small talk. Auron told her never to disclose she was from Zanarkand.

Disposing of the empty flask box, Rin hurried to his workstation, snatching a folded sheet of paper from a small wooden crate Raine only now noticed was waiting on the counter. Unfolding the invoice, Rin slipped on his bifocals.

"Let's see...7 potions, 2 antidotes, 1 phoenix down, 1 Enchanted Rod, 1 Nultide Ring and 1 Seeker's Bracer. Sound right?"

"There should be one more item," Auron said, absently touching the straps on the front of his collar with his gauntlet.

"Oh, yes, here. One book: The Teachings of Yevon. It's here," Rin said, leaning back slightly to peer behind the counter. He found it, slammed it down. It was as thick as a club sandwich. "Volume 4. The sending works," he said with an emphasis Raine didn't understand at first, as he gave Auron a significant glance over the tops of his glasses. Of course, Auron didn't respond and Raine was secretly glad. Auron often left lingering holes in place of replies, where uncomfortable silences stewed, allowing conversation to simmer when he should be helping to stir. He seemed better at it now, at least with her.

Raine rotated the book to better see the cover. She couldn't read the title and when she opened it to a random page, she shook her head. "What is this? Summoning for Dummies?"

Rin let loose a surprised laugh, immediately choking it with a clear of his throat when he glanced at Auron, and then busied himself with something behind the counter.

Auron hardened, pursing his lips and Raine imagined he was rolling his eyes behind those cryptic glasses as he collected the ampoules in the bottom of the crate and stuffed them in various small pockets in his cloak.

Producing a staff from a shelf behind his counter, Rin handed it to Raine and she started to take it with both hands, but Auron grabbed it first. It was almost like the one the Summoner in the green robes outside had been carrying, except this one had three teardrops angled in a circle, like peacock feathers, for its top symbol. The long handle was blue and red, faded at the places where it was held the most and dangling at the end was a tiny spherical charm. While Auron scrutinized it from all angles, apparently checking to see if the handle was straight and testing the weight, he didn't notice Rin sliding the Nultide Ring across his workstation and wink at Raine conspiratorially.

Set in the prongs was an elaborate emblem that glowed bluish and seemed to pulse in her fingers when she picked it up. She held out her left hand to put it on, froze momentarily when she saw her wedding ring and started to slide it on her middle finger instead. Rin reached over to stop her, indicating to her right hand.

"It will work better on the other hand," Rin said and added in a whisper, "Less interference from the wedding band."

Raine grinned covertly and slipped the ring on her right ring-finger. It seemed a little big and the only thing keeping it from sliding off her finger was her knuckle.

Seemingly satisfied with the craftsmanship, Auron nodded at her and she gripped the Enchanted Rod awkwardly. Despite the magical nature of its name, it was actually quite cumbrous and the top symbol made it extremely heavy. Auron was clamping the bracer on his forearm as Raine experimented with the staff's balance, when the bell over the door rang. Auron peered back over his shoulder and it shocked Raine when he cursed under his breath.

"Sir Auron," said a woman with a superior inflection.

An attractively exotic woman in her early thirties blocked the door, hand on her bare waist, her eyes flaring across the store at Auron. She wore a beautifully gleaming grey fur cape over an ensemble that was not nearly enough for the climate: little more than a bikini with strips of cloth at her hips, laced together with string and purple sleeves without shoulders. Even Raine had a hard time keeping her eyes up. Her dark hair was pulled up in a loose bun, a tendril of curled hair tumbling down her neck. Closing the door, a large man wearing a brown winter coat buttoned to his thick neck stood at attention behind her. He had a flat face, except for a protruding shelf of forehead, dim eyes and a permanent scowl, but he was still handsome in a jock sort of way.

"Macalania Temple already?" she asked Auron skeptically and her heeled boots clacked formidably across the floor. The man shadowed dutifully.

Raine found herself drifting over to the display shelves before they could take notice of her.

"I didn't even know you had joined a pilgrimage," she said.

"Just passing through," Auron said coolly, nodding politely to the large man, extending his gauntlet hand to give him a firm, even shake, the mutually reverent greeting of two Guardians. "Barthello."

"Sir Auron," Barthello said, his nod dipping further, almost bowing to Auron, and the woman glanced snidely around the store during the exchange.

Raine ducked further behind the rack, her eyes glazing over the inventory: corked ampoules, arranged by color, labeled with prices. She recognized the green tinted ones; Auron had given it to her to drink once, glossing over its contents with a sardonic comment about how she consumed it without asking what was in it first. According to the shelf tag, it was vaguely called "potion." How scientific.

"I believe this is the first time I've seen you without a Summoner during Sin season," the woman said.

"Oh, she's around here somewhere," Rin sang.

Oh, Rin, shut-up! Raine thought intensely.

"So you are on a pilgrimage," the woman said mordaciously.

Prickling, Raine stayed hidden behind the shelves, feigning interest in something generically called "remedy," as she heard the sandy grate of a boot on the tiled floor. She didn't want to meet Auron's friends. Too much pressure. Meeting Rin was already enough for one day.

As the woman's boots clicked dauntingly across the floor again, Raine panicked, picked up a container of something purple to blend in, to make it seem like she belonged there and that she wasn't eavesdropping, just as the barely clad woman rounded the display. Up close, a diamond gem centered on her forehead glinted in the light.

Clunkety
Clunkety
102 Followers