Everything Looks Better Ch. 08

Story Info
Fanfiction of Final Fantasy 10: Raine has a revelation.
8.3k words
4.75
6.6k
1
0

Part 8 of the 12 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 08/04/2014
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Clunkety
Clunkety
102 Followers

Room 4, Rin's Travel Agency, Macalania

The shower ended up lukewarm. It had to be; too much hot water was scalding to Auron, too much cold made Raine's teeth chatter.

"I'll get out," Auron said and started to pull back the bleach-white shower curtain, propping a foot on the edge of the tub. The hair on his legs looked like inky streaks.

She tugged his elbow. "No, please."

Wet hair lying flat on his forehead, Auron arched an eyebrow. "I'm ruining your shower."

"Just let me turn up the hot a little." She turned and leaned over to fiddle with the faucet controls, the bite of cool spray on her lower back fading to a bearable tepid. Over her shoulder, she asked, "How's that?"

The rhythm of water beating on porcelain changed as he approached her. His hand pressed gently on her back, fingers splayed, his other hand slid around her hip. Then there was the velvety poke between her thighs.

"May I?" he rasped, kissing her back.

She grinned. "Again?"

Chuckling, Auron rubbed his scratchy stubble on her shoulder blades. "Can't keep up with an old man?"

Her jaw dropped playfully over her shoulder, resenting the implication her stamina was below average, even though she was feeling a little tender between her legs. Mostly the soreness felt good, but it was still an ache, suggesting some superficial vaginal tearing and chafing from their rough undertakings. But she wasn't about to be shown up and nudged backward against him.

"Hold onto something," Auron warned.

Shower over, Raine wrapped herself in a towel and secured it in place with a strategic tuck, noticing with a faint smile how red and raw her neck and breasts were from Auron's whiskers. Auron stood naked in front of the sink, running his towel under his arms and his amber eye met hers in the mirror, creasing when he smiled. As she walked by, gingerly on account of the recent ramming she'd received, Auron snatched her from behind and nestled his face in the crook of her shoulder. His curling body language suggested a fourth round.

"You're insatiable," she laughed.

"Would you like me to get you a potion?"

"What for?"

"What do you think?"

Raine slowly smiled in vague wonder. "...Really? I thought those were just for fiend injuries."

She could feel him smile on her neck as he murmured, "Potions cure all types of battle wounds."

She giggled. "I think I can handle it. Besides, my body knows how to heal itself."

"Not fast enough," he said and peppered the side of her throat with kisses.

She could get used to this Auron. But before she did, there were other matters pressing on her conscience, ever since Auron mentioned the promiscuities from his early life. She couldn't respect herself if she didn't at least bring it up. "I've been meaning to ask you something."

"I'll consider answering," he said, nuzzling behind her ear.

"Consider seriously if you expect to see what's under this towel again."

He chuckled. "What is it?"

She took in a big breath to brace herself. "I might be a little late on this, but...are you safe?"

Auron pulled back.

Oops. Too serious.

Raine craned her neck back to see his expression, to get a sense of what he was thinking, but she could only see the underside of his jaw. Carefully, she said, "I've never lapsed on my yearly physicals. Have you?"

Behind her, he laughed. Hard. Her whole body shook with his deep chortle and she grinned uncertainly, unsure if he was laughing with or at her. His elbow came up to her throat as if to choke her, but the embrace was loose and affectionate. As he began to control his amusement, she felt the smack of a firm kiss on the back of her head. "I'm safe."

Realizing she had stiffened her posture, she relaxed against him. She was not looking forward to a follow up conversation had he answered anything different.

His whiskers prickled her cheek as he rested his face on hers. "From everything."

Before she could interpret that last part, Auron reached down and patted the towel where her belly was. She smiled dryly at her stomach. She hadn't even thought of that. Anxious to start her family, she had let her birth control run out shortly before her wedding at the Drake's house.

"That's a relief," she said, but it was perfunctory and sounded dreadfully hollow. She couldn't decide if it was because Auron was infertile or because she would be leaving the world childless. It was hardly fair to start new life when hers would be ending soon.

Auron's face shifted to look at her, no doubt sensing a change in her, and Raine rushed to change the subject.

"Did you happen to pack me anything slightly less suffocating to sleep in?"

"Nope," he said and sounded smug in spite of himself. "Go ahead and take the bed tonight."

Raine spun around. "You're not sleeping with me?"

"I'll be fine in the chair. You need your rest and I can't guarantee you'll get it if I'm in bed with you."

"We shared a bed once before and just slept," Raine reminded.

Auron started to slant his head in question, but the recollection of it hit him first and his lips quirked. "You slept," he said. "I was in my own private hell."

Little more than a year before her ocean-side wedding, Uncle Cetan died of a stroke. For the first time ever, Raine had to ask Colton from work to cover post-game interviews so she could be with her aunt at the hospital. Although Aunt Naya knew it was possible, she wasn't prepared to outlive her husband and took Uncle Cetan's death with difficulty. Raine was afraid to leave her alone until after the funeral. Raine spent so much time taking care of her aunt in those few days—the least she could do after Aunt Naya had taken her in—that she had little time to grieve by herself.

The first night back in the houseboat, Raine was prepared to cry herself to sleep, but even after she was cried out, sleep wouldn't come. She was physically and mentally exhausted from the last few days of funeral arrangements and meeting her uncle's family for the first time. It was a great relief to be home and she looked forward to going back to work and jumping back into her normal routine, but she couldn't seem to stop staring at the clock on her bedside table. Eventually she got up to make herself some tea, but found herself bypassing the kitchen and heading into Auron's room.

It had not been easy to get Auron to accept the room and she had to give most of the credit to the unusually severe monsoon season, but the room had formally become his only after they discussed the parameters of their living arrangement. On his first official night at the houseboat, Raine was going to make his bed for him, but Auron had assured her if his 21 years at the monastery had taught him anything, it was how to make a bed. Since then, Raine had only been inside the room a few times to collect his sheets for washing.

Auron was a private man, but he always left his door wide open. Better to detect noises, she guessed. Like the rest of the rooms at the time, the hard pink insulation and studs were exposed, but the brace remained for his sword and there was a hook on the back of the door for his cloak and she knew he kept the sword sharpening kit under the bed, but Auron was accustomed to living austerely and had few personal items. On the unfinished floor was a narrow slant of artificial light, which came in through the gaps in the privacy curtains. Although she had tried to be quiet, Auron rolled over in his bed when she came in. He was lying on top of the covers and still had on his leather cuirass, but his glasses were on the nightstand. It was too dark to see his expression.

She had no real idea why she was there. Probably, she would have asked Auron if he wanted tea because she was going to make some anyway, if he hadn't already grabbed the edge of the blankets and lifted them as a silent invite.

Jory had made an appearance at the funeral, held her hand during the service, but there was more to death than just the funeral. It was Auron who stood with her at the hospital, helped her select a tasteful coffin, and stayed within reach during the repast meal after the funeral. Of course, it was his job to watch her, this was not lost on Raine, but when he offered his bed to her, she knew he would have been there even if he didn't have to be.

As she crawled into his tiny bed, he scooted over to give her room and wrapped the blankets around her. His bed was warm and so was he as his comfortable weight behind her put her at ease. If she hadn't been so tired, she might have spent half the night fretting about her next move, but she was tired and fell asleep almost instantly. He remained above the covers through the night and was still there in the afternoon when she finally woke up. However, he hadn't been there the entire time. He had left briefly to call the network and inform her boss she was taking one more day off and then went to buy fresh bagels for breakfast. He had managed to sneak back into the bed without her waking, which couldn't have been easy since his side was against the wall.

"I have a faint memory of waking before it was light," Raine said, situating the towel around her body. "Were you stroking my hair, or did I dream that?"

"To be honest," Auron said, gravelly and serious, "I thought that whole night had been a dream."

Raine's laugh was nervous, sounding more like a maniacal cackle as she tried to downplay what was probably the most romantic thing anyone had ever said to her. In a million years she never thought Auron would say something like that and she distrusted its authenticity. "You finish up in here. I'm going to see what I can find to sleep in."

"Wait," he said and picked up the garter still sitting next to the sink. He slipped it into her hand. "Put this on."

She ran a hand through her wet hair to gather it for a ponytail.

"Not there," he smiled. "Put it on where it's supposed to go."

"Why?"

He darkened. "You'll see."

Raine turned to leave but was stopped in her tracks by a loud crack! as Auron swatted her ass. Smiling incredulously over her shoulder, Raine was speechless as Auron grinned at her, triumphant, and went to the sink to turn on the faucet. She definitely liked this Auron.

Dropping her towel by the dresser, Raine sifted through the top drawer, which was full of socks and underwear. Raine realized most of it was clearly meant for her, since of course Auron didn't wear underwear, and even if the brief style was practical and lacked frills, they were new and came in a multitude of colors. Coming across a bra, Raine held it up for inspection, noting it was just as plain as the other articles, but had an underwire and was curiously just her size. Raine suspected Auron had gone through her drawers back at the houseboat while she was at work. The second drawer was filled with more hastily folded pants and tunics, an abundance of wardrobe options.

"We're not taking all these clothes with us, are we?"

"We'll take only what we need. In Besaid, after you've completed your first trial, you'll be fitted for Summoner's habiliments," Auron called from the bathroom.

Raine cringed at the word "fitted," having some very bad memories involving a snug wedding dress and a particularly frazzled seamstress in Zanarkand. "One's like Dona's?" she grinned.

In the bathroom, there was only the hiss of water in the sink. Raine wasn't sure if Auron had heard her and she stopped, waiting for an answer. Was there a "hmph" she didn't hear?

Finally he replied, "Your brother would use my head for Jecht Shot practice."

Raine giggled. "What about my wedding dress?"

Another pause. "What about it?"

Surely it wasn't necessary to take, but she felt funny leaving it. It was her wedding dress. Maybe she could ask Rin if he would store it for her, but what was the sense in that? She had a Guardian who never failed a pilgrimage, so she probably wouldn't be back for it.

"Do you think Rin would buy it?" she asked.

"I don't think white is his color."

"I mean to sell in his store!"

He chuckled. "I'll bring it to him in the morning and see what he says."

"Be careful with it this time," she said, remembering how Auron had kicked it into the closet this morning. "If you feel the need to treat my dress roughly, first make sure I'm in it."

"That can be arranged," he laughed.

In case she didn't make it far enough for Summoner's robes, Raine made a point to bring versatile clothes with her. It had occurred to her plenty of times tonight she might not have the ability to claim an Aeon. What happened then? Auron would leave her and find a Summoner worthy of his time.

But she had to fight Sin. She was supposed to. Sin was her brother and it wouldn't be right for anyone else to defeat him.

If she couldn't summon an Aeon, then she would ask Auron to teach her other skills. Maybe she could learn to use a sword and become a Guardian herself. Certainly he knew of a Summoner who could use their help. Hopefully someone besides Dona, although how could Raine not support anyone who was willing to risk their life to end her brother's suffering? Of course, there was still the matter of the Final Summoning. If Raine and Auron joined someone else's pilgrimage, there was the possibility the Summoner would choose neither of them to become the next Sin and even if it happened, Yunalesca could veto it if there was a stronger bond present, like with Yuna and Tidus. Raine couldn't let another cycle slip by. How many pilgrimages did Auron have left in him?

And if somehow Auron was chosen as Sin and accepted... Raine had learned the hard way no man was worth suicide, but she would not want to live if Auron was dead.

Finding nothing suitable for sleeping in, Raine swiftly slammed the dresser drawer, and the little vases sitting on top chimed together, the same as this morning, and Raine remembered their conversation.

Will I get a title for beating Sin?

They will call you High Summoner Raine.

Nice ring.

And then Auron had slammed the drawer so hard, the vases wobbled. He didn't want to talk about it then, either, she realized.

No more thinking. There would be plenty of time for that later. Tonight, she would only focus on sleeping with Auron. Just sleeping. She had a feeling it would take a lot of effort.

Still naked, she rotated around to pick up her towel, her eyes catching on Auron's cloak, draped over a stool by the table. With a devious grin, she shook it open and slipped into it, the fabric smooth and sheeny on her bare skin, and she worked at clasping the straps on the loose sleeve before fastening the double buckles to the sash at her waist. It was still big on her and the front did not close all the way, leaving an indecent amount of cleavage, clear down to her belly button, but hiding her nipples at least. As a final touch, she widened the garter and stepped into it, hiking it up to her thigh. She would not earnestly try to pass it off as Summoner's robe or even leave the room dressed this way, but she thought Auron might enjoy seeing her in it. She was primed for a fourth round, if Auron discovered he couldn't help himself; it was difficult to resist him when he asked so politely.

"Auron, can you come here for a sec?" she called, unable to stifle the smile on her face.

"Just a minute," he said. Auron grooming in the bathroom: so weird.

Stepping over to the full length mirror on the closet door, she blushed at her reflection even though she was wearing three times as much material as Summoner Dona. She wasn't even sure she could manage the first few steps in a simple sending dance without something popping out and to make sure, she made a grand sweeping motion with her arms, miming the staff in her hands. It was easier without the staff, but she felt utterly ridiculous in the mirror and promptly stopped.

Auron's strangled cry from the bathroom chilled her blood.

Behind her, Auron collided with the frame of the bathroom door. His black linen trousers were on, but not tied. "Raine, stop," he husked.

Her feet tangled with the hem of the cloak as she crossed the room. When she was close, Auron fell against her, flinging an arm around her shoulder. His other hand was on the knob of the bathroom door, struggling to close it quickly, but not before she glimpsed a small swarm of pink and green Pyreflies dancing delicately on the ceiling, moments before the fan sucked them into the ventilation ducts.

"Was there a fiend in there?" she asked. Something small, she pictured, like a wasp or an iguion lounging behind the toilet where it was moist, but a fiend wouldn't make Auron scream like that. She began checking his body for injuries.

Clutching a wad of red cloak, he tugged her down to the floor with him as he sunk to his shaking knees. He was looking down to her empty hands, mystified. "Where's your staff?"

Raine's stomach made a sudden dive as she remembered the rules of the sending dance. "Oh, Auron. You said never indoors and never with your back turned...but I thought that was if I was holding the staff—"

His eye darted to the corner of their room where their weapons were leaned. "You did that without your staff?"

"Did what? The sending dance?" she asked, tears obscuring her vision. "Just the first couple steps."

As his blenched face contorted in pain, the heel of his hand flew up to his head, pushing firmly on his temple. Raine's hands flailed helplessly for a moment before she sought out the pockets in his cloak, hunting for spare potions. Auron seemed to read her mind, swaying his head no. "They won't help."

"Then what do I do?"

Lowering his eyes to hers, his almost drunken gaze lacked center. "Distract them."

"Wha—"

He interrupted her with a hard kiss, lips crushing lips, and she squeaked in protest. How could he think of sex now, when a fiend had been in the room? How did it get in? And what if there were more?

She jerked her head back. "Auron—"

"Quiet," he murmured and moved in to press his mouth on her again.

Insulted, she recoiled. "Excuse me?"

Scowling down at his cloak on her, he fumbled with the belt. "Why are you wearing this?"

"Wait, slow down—"

He opened the cloak to expose her and pushed his trousers down to free himself, "I need you. Now."

"Not until you talk to me," she said, straining with her last line of defense as Auron fought to unpin her knees. "Show me."

"Show you what?" he grumbled.

"Your card."

He looked vaguely annoyed. "What card?"

"The one up your sleeve," she said through her teeth. "The one you don't even want me to know you have."

Emoting silent agony, his fists pounded the sides of his head as some internal madness tormented him. Raine was able to sit up a little, but the spike of terror as she witnessed his anguish rendered her mute. The man had done so much for her in Zanarkand and she would do anything to ease his pain, but she could hardly see how sex—

"Fuck the cards!" he suddenly screamed and Raine flinched as if he'd struck her. "I'm coming apart, Raine, now open your legs!"

In slow amazement, Raine's chin dropped in a soundless gasp, bright orbs reflecting off the tears standing idle in her wide eyes. Propping up on her hands, she positioned herself to better see the Pyreflies as they spiraled up from behind Auron in all directions. In a state of utter shock, her body loosened, became malleable, and she was only vacantly aware as Auron shoved her legs apart. The battle waging inside him had apparently subsided and he was catching his breath, his amber eye pleading with her for consent.

With minimal comprehension of what was happening, she dumbly nodded.

Clunkety
Clunkety
102 Followers