Eye of the Beholder Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The first week home, he was distant and would barely look at her. She confronted him about it. His way of telling her he didn't want to talk about it left her wounded, inside and out. Anytime she suggested therapy or couple's counseling, it would get him even more riled up. She couldn't understand what had transpired that had turned her husband-to-be into a complete monster.

She heard a knock at the door and quickly wiped away her tears, grabbed her sunglasses from the night stand and took a deep breath. The receptionist came back to chat her ear off some more. She'd kindly tried to let her know she was tired but the woman acted like she didn't want to listen. She opened the door.

The man from Lana's.

He handed her one of several library cards she owned.

"You dropped it when you left."

She stared at him and cautiously took the card.

"Thanks," she whispered and attempted to close the door. He slipped his arm between the space and blocked her.

"Funny. Didn't peg you for a brawler," he said, hands resting in his leather coat.

Renee turned her back and closed her eyes tight, wanting to crawl up under the bed and never come out again. He had seen.

She deflated. "I'm fine. Thanks for bringing my card back. Goodnight."

"Look, it isn't my business, I know. I'm not going to agitate you and ask you how, why, and when. I just wanted to say... if you needed someone to show you around Quentin, tell you where to find things, let me know. I live up the road on a farm, you can't miss it."

She turned around to look at him with her arms folded, silent.

"Well," he said, clearly uncomfortable as he rubbed the back of his head. "I'm headin' out. Have a good night." He walked off.

"Do you know who's hiring?" Renee blurted out. Seconds later he was back in front of the door.

"Um," he sighed, stared at the ceiling. "Not much. Quentin's pretty bad when it comes to jobs. A lot of folks around here are self-employed. It's a small town. Might want to try Houston, they're doing pretty well."

Renee had searched the distance between Quentin and Houston. There was no way she'd make it with what little money she had left. She nodded and shrugged her shoulders.

"Thanks, anyway."

"Well... I mean, I am looking for someone to help me out," he added. "Like I said, most of us are self-employed here in Quentin. I own a farm and a small construction business, havin' a hard time jugglin' both. What do you do?"

"Nothing that could help you," she shook her head. "Management."

He chuckled. "Darlin', I did say I was havin' trouble with both things. Seems to me someone with management experience would be perfect."

Renee smiled back at him. "I don't know anything about farms. I'm from Detroit."

"I noticed," he nodded. "It'll be fun to see a woman from the city get acquainted with rural livin'. Besides, you wouldn't be out there on the farm, unless you wanted to, of course. Just make sure we'd have everything we needed. A lot of buyin' things and keepin' inventory, you know? Same with the construction; it's slow right now 'cause we're new, but when you run out of things to do for the farm, you can be..." he snapped his fingers. "You can be our human resource manager, make sure no one gets outta hand. You'd only be managin' five guys, though," he chuckled. "So what do you say?"

"Is there some kind of... interview I need to -- "

"Nah," he waved his hand. "It's yours if you want it. I don't have a pen and paper on me, but if you drive ten minutes south of here, my farm is right on the corner. I'll be there in the morning; we'll talk about it then." He reached out to shake her hand. She offered him her palm and he shook it hard, made her crack a smile.

"That's a Texas handshake," he grinned. "And our contract."

"What's your name?"

"Barrett Tsosie."

"I'm --"

"Renee Thomas," he finished. "The card, remember?"

"Oh. Right."

"See you tomorrow, Renee."

Renee closed the door behind him, a little confused but very grateful. She didn't know what to think about it, so she wouldn't. She'd show up tomorrow and if things went well, she'd have a temporary job and make enough money to get to Houston. If it didn't... she'd think of something.

It was barely nine o'clock but she felt the same exhaustion from the night before creeping up on her. She crawled into bed, turned off the nightstand lamp and prayed that she'd forego another nightmare and enjoy a night of sound sleep.

*

What the HELL had he just done?

That was all Barrett could think as he drove back to the farm in pitch-black night, his mind reeling from the proposition he'd made to Renee. True enough, he needed extra help -- and as much as he loved Sarah, Lord knows she wasn't good at helping him with anything -- but he didn't have the money to pay anyone else. His small crew of men and the materials he spent for his business AND items for the farm burned a hole in his pocket every month. He hadn't even discussed money with her and didn't know what she was expecting.

He pulled into the back of the house and parked his motorcycle. Shit. He couldn't go back on his word, nor did he want to. Not after seeing her that second time.

He hadn't seen the scars on her face at Lana's. She must have had them covered up. And even though she'd clearly bathed, wearing a robe and a towel on her head, she wore those sunglasses to hide her eye. Wouldn't be surprised if she slept in the damn things. It was too reminiscent to his mother's trials and tribulations. He went out of his way to help people, especially women. It was just in his nature. God help him, even if it wasn't his place to try, he was going to help Renee in any way he could.

He entered the kitchen and saw Sarah sitting at the table, frowning.

"I'm sorry, baby. Hope the food's not too cold. Got your drinks," he said, putting them on the table.

The petite strawberry blonde reached for a soda. "Got caught up chatting with Pete again?"

"Uh... not exactly," he shook his head. "I'll tell you about it when I get out of the shower. Or," he said, pulling her to her feet, "Perhaps you'd like to join me?"

"Ooh," she cooed, putting her arms around his waist. "I'd like that."

He carried her up the stairs and left his troubled thoughts behind. They, and Renee, would be waiting for him in the morning.

12