Eye Opening Trip Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Vicky and Jim sat at the table with George and Ann. Ann blushed deeply when Vicky chirped, "Well, you two look all nice and relaxed this morning. Did you have a good night?"

Jim and George looked shocked then they both broke out laughing. Vicky blushed a little then laughed with them. Ann was staring daggers at the three then she allowed a small smile to break through. She said, "Yes, I seem to have got up this morning more relaxed than I have been since the divorce."

George and Ann had a standing date for the dances by now. Most of the time when you saw one of them in town you saw them both. It was no secret they were a couple and the gossips were wondering just where it was going. In a small town everyone knows all the important things about everyone else so it was no secret they spent most nights together at one place or the other.

On the Friday night before thanksgiving George drove over to Ann's house to pick her up for the dance. Ann noticed he seemed nervous for some reason and asked, "George you seem nervous for some reason. Is anything wrong?"

George had a light blush but responded noncommittally, "Naw, just thinking about the night I guess. I was wondering about thanksgiving too. I hope your family doesn't get upset at you having me to dinner with them."

Ann laughed and said, "Now honey we've been over that several times. You know Jim and Vicky won't mind and the boys and their wives know I am seeing you. I'm sure they want to meet you and this is a perfect time for that. Now quit worrying. You ready to go?"

George smiled and put his hand in the middle of her back to guide her out of the house ant to his truck. As soon as she was in Ann scooted into the center of the vehicle so she could sit next to George. She didn't care if that was the way young people did it. She wanted to be next to her man and damn anyone who thought it was strange for a woman of 53 to act that way.

George and Ann ate supper at the Senior Center that night because it was the big thanksgiving feast. They laughed and talked with all their friends as they caught up on the news from the last two weeks. The meal was special of course and cost a little more but was very enjoyable. They had even splurged on a better than normal band so there were more people dancing too.

Ann noticed George still seemed a little different during the dances. Finally during the last dance she once again asked him what was wrong. George finally stopped dancing with her and stepped back a half step. He looked her in the eyes and said, "Annie I've just been thinking about some things and wanted to talk to you about them. I guess I'm worrying about somthin' I really just oughtta come out and say. You ready to go home?"

Ann just nodded her head yes and they returned to their table for her purse and their jackets. George was still quiet on the drive home but Ann finally gave up and ignored it.

The Wednesday night before thanksgiving George went to Ann's house to help her with the early preparations. After they got the work done and had a small meal they were sitting on her couch sipping port and cuddling. George finally turned to Ann and said, "Ann you remember the night of the dance when I was acting so funny and you were upset I wouldn't tell you what was wrong?"

Ann tensed up and turned to look at George. "Yes honey I do. Are you ready to talk about it now?"

George said "Yeah I am. Ann I was upset because I wanted to ask you something and I couldn't come up with the right way to do it. I been worrying about it all weekend and finally just decided I had to jump right in."

George reached into his pocket and came out with a small box. He opened it and took Ann's hand. He said, "Ann I know we talked a lot about your and my past. I know you worry about how good a wife you would be but I think that's something I should worry about not you. I have decided not to worry about it. I think you would make a good wife and I want you to marry me. Annie will you marry me?"

Ann sat still. Her mouth dropped open in shock then she started crying. George was looking worried about the way she was acting. Finally Ann leaned toward him, wrapped her arms around him and gave him a big kiss. Her tongue delved deeply into his mouth. Her eyes were glistening when she leaned back from him. She took the ring from his hand. As she placed it on her left ring finger she said, "Yes George. I'll marry you if that's what you want."

Both of Jim and Ann's sons managed to get leave and be home for thanksgiving. There was some discussion of the logistics but finally Jim, Ann and Vicky had agreed that since Jim and Vicky's house was larger the boys and their families would stay with them. Ann was to prepare and serve the thanksgiving meal. Everyone was surprised when they arrived at Ann's home to find George there. It appeared he had been there for some time because there was a dry space under his truck where the rain from the night before had not fallen.

Ann looked especially happy and George looked sheepish as they welcomed the rest of the family into her house. Everyone noticed they were standing close together and twice they had seen them give each other a quick kiss.

Ann started talking as they were filing through the door. She said, "We're so happy you could all get home this year for thanksgiving. Give me your coats and I'll put them in the front bedroom while you all find a chair."

She had already taken Jim and Vicky's coat and was reaching for Jennifer's when Jennifer screamed and grabbed Ann's hand. She said "Oh my God. Look everyone. Ann's got a ring!"

The whole family gathered around Ann as she blushed and George started stammering. The coats were forgotten as everyone hugged Ann and the men shook George's hand. Of course the daughters in law had to hug George instead of shake his hand.

As the meal was served Jim stood. He looked at Ann, then George. He said, "Ann and you too George, I know this is your house but if I may I want to make a toast before we begin our meal."

Jim raised his wine glass and said, "To George, a very lucky man. He has corralled a fine woman. A kind, gentle caring woman who will make him a great wife. Also to Ann, A woman who has gone through hell and suffered much. Someone I have loved for years and still like a lot. May the rest of your years be filled with the happiness you deserve."

Ann sat quietly staring at Jim. Her silent tears streamed down her cheeks. Finally she stood from her place at the foot of the table and walked up to her ex husband. She hugged him and placed a gentle kiss on his cheek as she said, "Thank you Jim Thank you so much."

Naturally the table conversation centered around the wedding plans. Everyone wanted to know when the date would be. Ann looked at George and said, "We were thinking about the 21st of December. That is the Monday before Christmas and we could have another family time together then George and I can take a short trip after Christmas and over the New Year."

George and Ann beat Jim and Vicky to the coffee shop the Monday after thanksgiving. In fact Jim hadn't been down since before thanksgiving because the boys were staying with them. When he walked into the café one of the louder patrons shouted, "Hey Jim. Old George just set himself up for another ball and chain. Ann's agreed to marry him! Hey Jimbo. What do you think about the wedding?"

Jim stood long enough to take off his jacket then said, "Well, it's not any of my business but I think it's just fine. George is a good man and Ann deserves to be happy. If he makes her happy I'm all for it." He then turned away and sat at a table across the room from his questioner.

Later that morning just before he was getting ready to leave George came into the café. He sat at Jim's table and looked him in the eyes a short while. He then said, "Jim I want to thank you for what you said Thanksgiving Day. I've always known you were a good man but what you said to the family made me realize you may be a better man than I am. I'm not sure I could have wished my ex wife happiness like you did. I'm still not sure I want Sophie to be happy at all after what she did to me."

He reached out his hand and told Jim, "Jim I want to shake your hand."

While they were shaking George tightened his grip and said, "Jim Ann and I talked about the wedding this weekend and we want you to be our best man. Will you do that for me?"

Jim was shocked. He sat back in his chair and stared at George. Finally he said, "George I'm not sure I'm the best man for that job. I'm honored that you would want me to do that for you but what about some of your other friends. Considering Ann's and my history wouldn't one of them be better?"

George said, "Maybe so but I respect you and know you're a good man. You're my choice if you'll do it. We're not going to have a great big ceremony. We're going to rent the VFW hall and get married there with just a few family members then have a small reception. We'd be honored if you would do it for us."

Jim thought a while longer then sighed. "OK," he said. "If you're sure that's what you want I'll do it."

The day of the wedding was bright and warm. The town was so excited and the gossipers were going lickety split. They just couldn't believe Jim was actually going to participate in Ann's wedding and not make a scene. The wedding went off without a hitch and the small reception was going fine when there was a commotion outside.

The large double doors were thrown open and the whole town descended on the affair. Everyone was carrying something to eat or drink. The mayor grabbed the microphone and said, "We know you all wanted a small quiet wedding and that was OK with us because it was your wedding but there is no way we're going to let you get by without letting all of us congratulate you and party with you while we wet down your new marriage. We brought a lot more food and drinks so you just settle down and let us get with it."

Ann and George stood in shock as the rest of their acquaintances filed by shaking George's hand, kissing Ann and leaving them with some gifts and a lot of congratulations. Finally the evening ended and everyone made his or her way home. Just before George and Ann left Vicky walked up to Ann. She said, "Ann about 18 months ago you walked up to me after my reception and told me to take good care of Jim and we wouldn't have any trouble. I've been doing my best to take good care of Jim and I want to tell you the same thing. You have a good man there and you need to take good care of him too. Congratulations."

The months rolled by and it became common to see Jim and Vicky, George and Ann at the same table in the café. It was commonly known that they visited back and forth. The town decided it was a good thing they had become so close and it was almost forgotten that Jim and Ann had once been married to each other. The four seemed to fit so much better together as they were now.

Life for the two couples settled into a happy pattern. They visited with each other and their friends in town. They shared the children and grandchildren. Jim and Ann's prior problems faded into ancient history and they began building a friendship and respect for each other again. As another writer would say, life goes on.