Falling Home

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Thinking back to the comments about my home I asked, "Is that really the way that we're perceived over here?"

"Only by people that have a vague knowledge of the history of the different regions of America," she said, "Most people know New York and California and little else."

"And you've read up on America?"

"Enough to know the basic stereotypes. But it's not a big deal, I'm sure you think we're all tea drinking antique collectors," she smiled and sipped her drink.

"Hmmm, youdohave a lot of BBC antique shows."

"Doesn't matter; I'd rather take each person individually. I think that's the safest route," she said.

"So, Natalie," I began. I realized that I knew nothing about her beyond her first name and age. "What's your last name?"

"Kind of an odd question."

"It's a starting place."

"Brayton," she said.

"Natalie Brayton." I repeated and paused to sip my steaming coffee. It was good, strong stuff. "This is good," I motioned to the coffee. She smiled thoughtfully but said nothing.

"What do you do? Besides meeting people at bars and taking them out for coffee?" I asked.

"I'm a graphic designer. I work for a design firm over on Kensington. We mainly do layouts for magazines that don't have enough circulation to employ in house designers."

"Interesting."

"What?"

"You just don't look like any of the graphic designers I know."

"Why's that?" she asked, tilting her head and smiling.

"You're too well dressed for starters. The designers I know are grown up emo kids who kept the piercings and the attitude."

"How'd you know that's not me?" she teased.

"You're more polished than that." I allowed my eyes to glance over what I could see of her frame.

"And, do you like polished? Because I have a friend that can loan me some checkered Converse shoes..."

I laughed. "No, don't bother with the shoes. I think you look good, besides, heels are hot."

"I'll keep that in mind," she set her coffee cup on the table and continued, "So Adrianne, what's your last name, your reason for coming to England-- don't say school-- and what's your favorite food?"

"Strum; I needed to get out of the states, and anything Italian."

"Good to know."

"Why's that?"

"Future reference."

The conversation lulled into a comfortable silence as we sipped our coffees.

"Look," I said holding out my hand.

"What?"

"I'm not shaking." I looked down at my hand and silently thanked the girl from the bathroom for her advice.

"Why were you shaking?"

"Because every time you and I ran into each other, which I'm beginning to believe was not random at all, you left before I could figure out what happened. And, every time we touched I became a nervous wreck," I admitted quickly, and moved my hand to my lap.

Natalie regarded me for a moment and let out a breath, "Truth is, you did the same to me. I'm usually witty and charming and flirt with the best of them, but you didn't seem to go for any of that so I had to figure out another way to get your attention."

"How'd you know that I wanted your attention at all?"

"I didn't," she admitted. "I was telling you how you confuse the butches, but you also confused me. I was trying to figure out what to say to you when I saw you in the room with the orange haired girl pulling on your arm." She shrugged.

"But you didn't have to come over to me."

"Oh, but I did," she laughed, "You had that 'dear in headlights' look."

"Well, thank you again. You said I confused you, but you could obviously see right through me. You're right about my clothes and why I was there, you know."

"Every once in a while I get lucky," she smiled and wiggled her eyebrows suggestively.

I laughed and told her, "I wasn't lying when I said I wasn't there to get laid."

"And you should know that I respect that, but we're notthereanymore."

"Good, we can both agree that I'm confusing and not layable anywhere."

We both laughed for a moment before she said, "You know, I really am enjoying myself."
"Me too."

"I'd love to take you out sometime," she began to fidget in her seat, just enough that I noticed. I was making her nervous again.

"Why do I always do that?" I asked out loud, although mostly to myself.

"Do what?"

"I'm making you nervous."

She blushed and looked away from me. "Is it that obvious?"

"To me it is, but that's only because it tends to be the reaction people have to me," I shrugged; "I don't know why."

"Because I want you to say yes."

"You know I don't live in London," I said quietly, looking down into my cup.

"I know, but I'm willing to travel."

"I do come to London occasionally to spend a day in the library."

She smiled and said, "Then you must let me know when you'll be back."

"If you give me your number I'll give you a ring."

I pulled out my phone and we exchanged numbers.

"So," Natalie began to trace patterns on the table top with her fingers, "What do you do in your free time, Adrianne?"

"Call me Adi."

"Okay Adi," she started again, "I don't think you're the 'let's go out and get pissed' type, so what do you do for fun?"

I shrugged, "I do a lot of nothing. I read. I write. I go to the theatre, I travel, I play tennis. I shop. I'm not very exciting, really."

"Get a few drinks in you and get you up on a table top and you'll be exciting enough," she joked.

"Oh no," I said, "table dancing, stripping, and singing in the rain are rare occasions for me, and you're right again; bars aren't really my scene." I looked around at the cozy shop. "I feel more comfortable here than at any bar I've been to."

"That's fine with me; I don't want you stripping, for anyone else anyway."
"Getting possessive aren't we?"

"No, just letting you know where I stand."

"I think I knew when you first asked me why I ordered water."

"Well, you could've made it a bit easier on me. Then I wouldn't have had to keep running into you as I figured out my next move."
"Come now," I joked, "the chase is part of the fun."
"No, the chase is only a warm up."

She was about to say something else, when the cashier came up to our table and said, "Sorry ladies, we're closing in a few."
Natalie and I looked at each other and got up. We tossed our empty cups in the bin on the way out. Once we were outside I wrapped my jacket tighter around me and asked, "What time is it anyway?"

Natalie pulled out her cell and said, "2:25."
"Hmm," I mumbled.

"What?" She asked.

"Time flies. So, now what?"

"We could go back to my place," she suggested as she blew out a heavy breath into her hands and turned away from me; I'm sure she didn't want to see my reaction.

I realized that she wasn't wearing a jacket and I hurriedly removed mine and stepped up to her, placing it over her shoulders. She instinctively reached up and put both her hands on the collar and spun to face me before I had the chance to drop my hands again.

"I'm not going to let you freeze to death," she said, trying to shrug off the jacket.

I kept my hands on her shoulders to keep it in place. "If you drop my new jacket in the street because you're being stubborn, you're going to pay."

"Oh really?" she smiled, and made a move to remove the coat.

I slid my hands down to cover hers and said, "Yes, really."

I let my hands slide the rest of the way off.

"If you won't let me freeze, then how am I going to get back to my flat,andget your jacket back to you?" she asked innocently.

"Did you plan this entire evening?" I asked, arching one eyebrow and crossing my arms.

"No, but it couldn't have turned out better if I had."

I looked up the street. I wasn't ready to go home with anyone that night, or any other. While I was considering the virtues of letting her keep my jacket and picking it up on my return to London, Natalie said, "If it makes you feel better, I have a rather large sofa."

I had to smile at her thoughtfulness. "No, it's not that," I began. I was lying. "Okay, it is that," I admitted. I felt that suddenly I needed to explain myself and started again, "I, Uh..."

"Don't worry about it; you could always come pick the jacket up later if you're really that uncomfortable."

She looked so sincere standing on the street blowing puffs of cold air; in my jacket. I summoned all the courage I had and said, "No, I'll go with you."

"I was hoping you would," she said and I fell into step beside her.

"Besides," I said, "My mom would be really disappointed if she didn't get to see the expensive jacket she just bought me."

Natalie bumped into me playfully and I grabbed her arm and linked it with my own. She stuffed her hands down in the pockets and we walked in silence till the end of the street.

12