Feast or Famine? Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Marianna." Stephanos breathed to gather her attention from Kolya. "I have lived long and well, if lonely at times. In searching for a way to slake my thirsts, the villagers felt that their number was being sorely depleted. In an effort at concordance, I agreed to refrain from being indiscriminate in my dealings with them and they in turn agreed to provide protection to me during the daylight hours. So, I traveled further afield to satisfy my needs and they provided me with my beloved Kolya and spread the word that I was to be unharmed. This is the covenant that that dolt Ivan spoke about it. It also contained a clause saying that if my need for companionship arose again that I was free to seek out that companionship amongst the villagers if I limited it to once every hundred years. Our agreement has been beneficial to both of us."

"Why do I not know of this covenant? And why me?"

"I did not know that the villagers harbored the contents as a secret. As Ivan's family has longed held a position of authority and were the authors of the covenant, they might have kept it to avoid conflicts. As to you, you in your grief sang to my heart. It was that simple. And it was time in my estimation for a friendship such as the one you have provided."

Marianna slowly turned this over in her mind. "All right, I can accept that at face value. You actually have done me a great service in bringing me here. I don't know how much longer I would have survived on my own. Dmitri was my everything and in losing him I no longer had the will to continue." She heaved a long sigh and brushed strands of her hair away from her face.

Stephanos' heart turned over at the sight of her and her movements and her acceptance. Simple acceptance. It reinforced to him that he had indeed chosen wisely and that this was a woman to remain at his side. He smiled faintly before continuing.

"Kolya was part of my bargain with the villagers. He volunteered actually and the reason he looks somewhat familiar to you is that he is Dmitri's great great grandfather. He chose to leave, chose to enter service to me in an effort to avoid the strife and fear over someone else doing so or a lottery being held. He was a brave man indeed and I treasure him whole heartedly. He had lost his wife years earlier and his children were grown. He has been an invaluable companion to me and you will treat him as such as well. I do not mean to be harsh with you, but on this point I am firm Marianna. Is that understood?"

Marianna had inhaled sharply once again upon hearing this. She studied Kolya with renewed vigor, causing the man to blush. "How is it that he lives Stephanos? How does he stand before still a robust young man, if he is Dmitri's long ago relative?"

Kolya stepped forward to answer. "Mistress Marianna, Stephanos has made me his servant in every way possible, including using me as a surrogate donor on occasion. In doing so he has left me unmade, and I retain my youth. I have had the privilege of observing you from afar and had seen how you were with Dmitri. I was pleased that he had chosen so wisely. Your own gentleness and the love you felt for him were apparent. He would be honored to know that you have Stephanos' protection. Dmitri often wondered if he could be of service to Stephanos, but understood that that was not his path in life." Kolya gently explained to Marianna.

She was surprised yet again. "Dmitri did not share this with me. I had not known of Stephanos past these two nights hence. I am pleased to make your acquaintance, Kolya. And thank you for your kind words." Marianna continued to gaze at him with wonder, seeing some of the family resemblance to Dmitri, the parts that had passed Ivan by.

Kolya smiled lovingly at her. She was a worthy one for his Master as well. Her spirit alone was a match for his. Kolya was content with how things had turned out, having known the fate of Dmitri for some time now. However, Marianna's role was only just becoming clear to him. But in time, if not already, she would fall for the Master and he could ask for nothing else. He did hope that she would always give him a run for his money, as Stephanos easily grew bored and needed to be tweaked once in awhile. Kolya now smiled mischievously at that.

Marianna returned her gaze to Stephanos. She eyed him carefully, testing his resolve. Weighing her thoughts she ventured forth. "All right. As I said earlier I can accept what is happening. I can even accept Dmitri not sharing this with me. However I have some questions."

Stephanos cocked an eyebrow at this, wondering where her fertile imagination was running to now. He waited patiently for her to begin. "As you wish, my dear. Ask away."

"What is my role to be? I mean aside from being your lover, do I have a purpose?"

"You may be anything you desire, Marianna. You may not leave my side, but I will care for you well and I will worship you as you should be."

Little thrums of passions shot through her body at hearing this. Stephanos had found his way into her bloodstream and made her feel treasured. She sighed with longing. "Then I wish what you wish for my Lord. However, I have skills in the medicinal arts that I would wish to continue with the villagers. Despite all of the recent animosity, they still allowed those attentions. Would this be suitable?"

"Yes, you may tend the villagers. However, since it is apparent that Ivan may not rest in his quest, I would demand that Kolya attend your visits with you. This is not negotiable Marianna."

Marianna breathed expressively at his high handedness but capitulated. She had no desire to face Ivan again. "What has become of Ivan, Stephanos?"

"He is in a state of flux, that he will remain in. Neither fully in this world or my world. He has been stripped of his mortal being and yet will walk among your people once more. He will lose his status within the village of Dubrovnik and find it difficult to sustain himself. He was sentenced to this not because of his attempt to defy me, but due to his unmitigated greed in wanting to possess you himself. You may know some of the thoughts of his dark heart, but I know them all." Stephanos was loathe to reveal as much as he had, but knew that Marianna would persist in knowing the full truth.

Marianna worried her lip a bit at the news then nodded her acceptance. What choice did she have really? Judgment had been passed and even Kolya had shown his agreement. Thoughts flit through her mind at the collusion and she wondered how far the two men, vampire and servant had known of the recent future? Knowing she could not change what had been done, she shifted her thoughts once again. She picked at her food thoughtfully as she searched for the courage to ask her next question.

"Am I to become like you Stephanos?" She said it in such a rush it actually came out as "AmItobecomelikeyouStephanos?"

Stephanos stated matter-of-factly, "That remains to be seen Marianna. You will make that decision, not I. As I am of two minds of the matter myself, I will abide by your wishes. However, let me reiterate that you will always belong to me. Your release will come with your natural death or if someone defeats me in battle for you. If you remain mortal then danger abounds. I have powerful enemies who would use you to strike at me. If I take you to me completely, the risk lessens but remains. Think on the matter my love, I know that whatever decision you arrive at it will be the one for us."

Stephanos bowed courtly at her in saying this. Marianna's eyes spun at the possibilities before her. She knew that she would remain Stephanos', it seemed preordained. She wasn't quite sure how she knew this, but this violet-eyed creature mesmerized her as no other had, including Dmitri. She did not feel a disloyalty to Dmitri for this as she would always love him. However, this man before her captivated her mind, body, soul. She felt alive in ways that she never knew she could. Yes. She had much to ponder and would have more questions, but for now, she was content to sit and absorb everything that had been revealed to her.

12