Finding an Editor Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
qhml1
qhml1
8,964 Followers

He leaned over me and kissed my cheek.

"Thanks, Bonnie. This means a lot to me."

My cheek felt a little warm long after he left the room. "Well", I thought to myself, "Let's see what he's got."

................................................

I smelled coffee and looked around to see Benny standing behind me.

"Time to take a break, it's been almost three hours. Stop before your eyes cross. I've sliced the cake I made for dessert, it's on the table. Get up, stretch, and join me."

The cake was great. It was a variation on the 'better than sex' cake that was so popular. Benny called it the 'no damn cake in the world is better than sex, but it's still pretty good' cake.

"I agree" I said with my mouth full.

"With what? That the cake is good but sex is better?"

How could he keep making me blush? I must be losing my touch.

"Yes" I said, trying to seem enigmatic.

"Take it home with you if you like. I usually give it to people I work with. Let me find a cake plate."

He rattled around in the pantry cabinet until he found it. I glanced at the clock on the coffeemaker and was startled to see it was 11:30.

"I'm so sorry I ignored you so long. Why didn't you get me sooner. This must be a lousy first date for you."

That slipped out before I thought. This wasn't a date, not really.

He made my night when he said, "Actually, it's the nicest 'date' I've had in a long time. And it can't be classified as ignoring me for doing what I asked."

"Truth time now. What did you think about the writing? Am I wasting my time?"

"Definitely not. I can see the progress you've made, amazing really considering what I read was produced in an eighteen month span. When can I see the novel?"

"Anytime after tonight. It's almost midnight and I'm not fond of you driving alone this late. Call me tomorrow and we'll work out when to get together next."

He put the ribs, the side dishes, and most of the cake in containers and put them into my car. As he opened my door he made me promise to call when I got home. He thanked me again and was going to kiss me on the cheek when I turned and kissed him on the mouth. Just for a few seconds, with our mouths closed, and it was still the hottest kiss I'd had in what felt like forever. He was still standing in the drive as I drove away.

I did call him and he answered on the first ring. We talked about nothing for a few minutes before he made me promise to call tomorrow to set up our next meeting. I went to bed smiling for a change.

.................................................

Sunday I went to church, and all my friends noticed my smile.

"What gives?" said Hilda after the service.

"To quote my grandpa, You're 'grinning like a mule eating briars'. Hot date last night?"

My smile got bigger.

"Well sort of. I don't think it was meant to be a date as such, but it sure felt like one at the end."

"Who was it? Where did he take you? Did you get some nooky?" Sarah was married and true blue, but she got a vicarious thrill listening to us talk about our dates.

"A lady doesn't divulge such things, especially on church steps. Suffice to say, we didn't go anywhere but his house, and I was there until midnight. If you want any more than that, stop by my house, I'll feed you a nice lunch."

Sarah had to go home to hubby, but Hilda came right over. Benny had given me enough food for five people, and I knew if it stayed I would eat it all. I would love it, but my thighs and butt wouldn't.

She came in, took a big sniff and burst out "Benny Henson!" before dissolving into laughter.

"So you're the one who finally snagged him. Was he good, did he put up much of a fight? He must really like you to cook for you, I've never heard of him doing that before. Talk, girl, talk."

I wanted to prolong the suspense as long as possible.

"Eat first, talk later."

She sighed. "All right, but remember I"m the guest here. If the ribs come out to an uneven number, I get the extra one. If I find out you held out on me I'll stab you with my fork."

We ate like pigs. I did my best to ignore the screams of my thighs, after all, it's a sin to waste food, right?

Hilda was groaning about being stuffed when I brought out the cake. She hesitated before taking a big slice, then said she didn't want to be rude to her host so she would eat it just to be polite. When she asked for a second slice, I arched an eyebrow at her.

"The first was for politeness, the second shows appreciation." So we both had another slice, promising faithfully to do our best to wear out the treadmills and do extra Zumba classes at the gym for the next two weeks.

Meal over, dishes stacked, we flopped on the couch. Hilda grinned at me.

"All right, spill. I'm too full to beat it out of you, but I will plop my fat ass on your chest and sit until you can't breathe if you don't."

"Please don't. Remember when he came into the bar the other night? He needed advice he felt I was qualified to give, and no, it wasn't romantic. I kind of forced him into making me dinner in exchange. We started out as the friends we were, but he did hold my hand for awhile, and I got a couple of nice kisses. It made me feel like a teenager again. I loved it."

She sat up, interest perked.

"So, you going after him? If not, can I have a shot? I've always thought he was handsome, and he's so polite. I'm telling you, he practically has 'husband material' stamped on his forehead."

For about ten seconds I forgot she was my best friend and we were women in our fifties. Well, me anyway, she had just turned forty seven. Damn, high school all over again.

"Yes, I'm going after him, at least romantically. Husband material may enter down the road at some point. And you're not, not until I get my shot, understand?"

Laughing she said, "Okay, I get it. You're falling hard girl, admit it. But if you throw him back, I'll be there trying to catch him on the rebound."

Looking me in the eye, she started singing.

"Bonnie and Benny sitting in a tree, k i s s i n g, first comes love, then come marriage, here comes Bonnie with a baby carr--"

I shoved the piece of cake she had on the coffee table to take home with her in her mouth, spreading it all over her face. Her eyes got huge, then we collapsed into each other, hugging and giggling. She kissed me, making sure she spread the remains of the cake all over my face. We WERE teenage girls again, just for a little while.

...............................................

Not wanting to seem anxious, I waited until five before calling. When the answering machine picked up I was disappointed. Leaving a message that I would be home the rest of the evening, I tried to occupy myself with dishes and lesson planning. For the next two weeks I was a teacher again, covering for a girl on the last of her maternity leave.

An hour later he called back.

"Sorry I missed your call, I was in the vegetable garden. Why didn't you call my cell? You have the number don't you?"

Damn, I had forgot to put it into my phone. I couldn't use reverse directory because we made our date in person.

"I do now, forgot to put it in the other day. When can we get together? I'm really anxious to read it."

I could have had him send it to my computer, but then I wouldn't have a chance to see him face to face.

"I'm home most every day by six. Come whenever you want, as long as I know you're coming I'll be there."

I pushed it just a bit.

"I can come over now if it's not any trouble. I just finished my lesson plan for the week, I'm subbing this week and next. You need to get this to them while they're still interested. Don't want to have other projects come up and get put on a back burner. I could get three good hours in."

"If you're sure it's not an imposition, come on out. I'll make you some supper, but after last night it will be something light."

"Benny, be careful. Feed me too many times and I'll be like a stray dog, you won't be able to run me off."

There was a little silence on the other end. "Please," I thought, "don't frighten off now."

"That doesn't sound like a bad thing. Come on out, I'll start cooking now."

I almost did cartwheels to the car.

Something light was a whole chicken done on his gas grill, with sprigs of fresh rosemary pushed into the meat at regular intervals, covered with tarragon, chopped chives, and a few fresh sage leaves. Just a light sprinkling of seasonings, salt and coarse ground black pepper. A local wine, white with an infusion of raspberry. A nice side salad and sorbet for dessert. We ate on his deck. I could definitely get used to this.

"Please tell me you don't always eat like this," I said as I finished the last of the sorbet.

"No, I often just have a sandwich. But I love to cook, I used to do it all the time before Mariam left. Doesn't feel right, cooking for one."

He suddenly went silent, remembering.

I rubbed his arm.

"As I said before, more for me. Her loss, I bet she misses it. I don't see Bob whipping up a little something. Bet he doesn't even know how to turn the oven on."

He had a small smile on his face when inspiration struck me.

"You know, we haven't finalized my fee yet. I'm going to put into the contract that every time I come over you have to feed me. A sandwich will be fine occasionally, and I may want to eat out once in awhile, but meals like this will be the norm. Deal?"

I stuck out my hand. He looked at it for a second before taking it. Instead of shaking it he took it to his lips and kissed it gently.

"Deal." He said quietly.

I didn't know what to say, just let the moment linger. Pulling myself together, I told him if I didn't get to work soon I wouldn't get anything done.

He turned into a writer again, not my Benny[ My Benny? Where did that come from?] and sent me into his office.

"All my passwords are on the desk. It's 7:30 now. work for an hour, then take a break. Don't want you to lose focus. Coffee when you break? All right, see you in an hour."

He practically shoved me in and shut the door.

I started reading and immediately became engrossed. The hour went by very quickly. He knocked lightly, calling out to tell me the coffee was ready. He had the cup waiting on the table when I came out. After I had a few sips I looked over the cup at him.

"Bodice Ripper?"

He looked down, reddening. Then he grinned.

"Everybody has a pen name. I chose that because it's the description used for cheap romance novels. Plus it's sexually indeterminate, I didn't give out any personal information except my age and geographic location. You know, most of my readers think I'm a woman."

"After reading the first three chapters, I've come to the same conclusion. I take it back, you're not a closet Yankee. You're really a closet Yankee woman. I bet you're a liberal too. Do you shave your pussy? I've always wanted to, I bet it feels great when a tongue runs across it. Tell me-"

He was beyond red, more a medium purple. With a strangled grunt he left the room. It took me five minutes to stop laughing.

I found him on the swing out front. I sat down and rested my head on his shoulder.

"Honey, don't be mad. It's just me doing what I've done to you our whole life. I would never say anything like that in public."

He sighed and I snuggled deeper, not about to miss this opportunity. His arm went around me. I closed my eyes, enjoying it.

"Forgive me?" I said in a little girl voice.

The small half smile I loved to see on him was back.

"You know I could never stay mad at you."

"Good. Make up kiss?"

I know, I know, I was pushing a little. But, to my astonishment he bent down and gave me a sweet, slow kiss that seemed to last forever, even though it was more likely just a second.

We women know when to push and when to back off, and this was the time to move back a little and let him digest what was happening. I moved back upright on the bench.

Did I see a little disappointment? I hope, I hope.

Back to business.

"The first three chapters are really good. Some small continuity and dialog issues, but very, very good so far. I need to print it out so I can read and make notes. Problem with that?"

"Just make sure you're the only one seeing it. Oh, and keep a record of your hours so I can pay you. This is mostly a business relationship after all."

Mostly? I liked the sound of that.

"Good, I need to go, I have school to teach in the morning, and if I don't get enough rest it's hard to stay focused. Shaping young minds, yadayadayada."

I'll be back Wednesday afternoon to go over what I've accomplished, all right?"

He agreed and walked me to the car after we were done printing out his work. Naturally I was loaded down with leftovers, and just before I got into my car he handed me a set of keys.

"Here, it's the spare set of keys to the house. Sometimes I run a little late on Wednesdays. This way whether I'm here or not you can work. See you then."

I got another nice kiss and a good hug. Progress.

As I drove away I knew. I wanted Benny Henson, and by golly, I was going to have him. Being alone so much for the last few years, I had developed a habit of talking to myself out loud.

"You don't know it yet, Benny boy, but you're mine now. I'm like quicksand and you won't even know you're standing in it until it's too late. You're already in up to your knees. I'm gonna swallow you up and you're gonna love it."

A car came up behind me and I saw myself in the rear view mirror for just a moment, and my smile was down right feral. I liked it.

.........................................

So began our semi business, semi romantic relationship. I would come over on Wednesday afternoons, Most Saturdays and Sunday evenings. While he was home I would have to fight the urge to just go out and be with him. It seemed to take him forever to call me to dinner.

And the dinners, wow. He must have felt obligated to making them all special. Cuban pulled pork sandwiches with fruit salsa on the side. Steaks grilled to perfection, with roasted tomatoes and eggplant topped with mozzarella cheese and garnished with basil leaves rubbed with olive oil. Fried chicken with green beans and corn on the cob. Spicy meatloaf with mashed potatoes. Boned Boston butts with garlic cloves, rosemary and basil wrapped inside and oven roasted.

Desserts, coconut cake made with freshly grated coconut. Pecan, apple, and chocolate pies. Banana pudding. Strawberry, blackberry, and blueberry fool. When he found out I was a chocoholic he nearly killed me.

"Chocolate overdose." His own recipe. Made from scratch chocolate pound cake, baked in a bundt pan. Chocolate pudding, cooked not instant, timed to be done when the cake was turned out onto the plate, hot pudding poured over and into the middle of the hot cake so it would absorb and meld together, topped with chocolate chips after it cooled a bit. I gained six pounds in three weeks.

After weighing, I told him to ease off on the food.

"Stop feeding me so much. I'll end up looking like one of those porkers you barbeque."

He cut back, nice salads, grilled chicken, salmon, smaller portions. We made it a habit to walk about for a bit after dining, and I made sure at one time or another I snagged his hand and held on to it. He never offered to let go.

I got a week without interruption, and unknown to Benny I spent most of my time on the book. It was quite good, a happy, not quite tear jerker, just the thing romance readers would love.

He got a little overlong in some passages, and I didn't like the direction about two thirds through, but it worked out. He listened to most of my suggestions, but on some he wouldn't budge. I did get it down from 165,000 words to 120,000, mostly be removing redundancies and cleaning up dialog. It wasn't the work of a seasoned editor, but it was a good effort.

We had a little celebration when we sent it off, a couple of glasses of wine. I hated it, now I had no excuse to be at his house.

"Thanks, Benny. I enjoyed this. Too bad it had to end. hope it gets accepted and does well."

He made my day when he said, "End, what makes you think it's going to end? If they publish this and it's as well received as they think it might be, they're going to want another as soon as I can get it to them. I'm about two thirds through, you need to start editing now so we can stay ahead. Come on, let's go print what I've got so far."

...............................................

His next was geared towards a more mature audience, and I actually blushed at a couple of passages. Wonder if he could really do some of the things he'd written about? I had to change panties.

He was only two thirds through and I couldn't wait to see what direction he would take. I had a few ways I would like it to end, and he listened intently, then questioned me relentlessly on my reasons. He actually wrote two different endings, scrapped them both, and ended up with something totally different that worked much better.

It took four months for him to finish and me to edit. In my opinion, it was far better than his first. He sent it off to his publisher.

They responded by offering him a contract for three more books over the next eighteen months. He was over the moon.

................................................

You couldn't find his books in libraries, it was next to impossible to get a print contract without a good agent and a boatload of luck and talent. He wrote ebooks, available as downloads. Generally quick easy reads available for a very modest price. His first book, after seven months, had only made about seven thousand, and he had to pay taxes on that. I urged him not to get discouraged, and he laughed.

"If I was in it for the money, I would have quit before I even started. This is as much for me as the readers. If I happen to make a few bucks off it, good for me. And if I end up making a lot of bucks, better for us."

Us? What us? I could only hope.

I took his hand.

"Great! We're having too much fun to stop now. That being said, all work and so forth. Time to take a break, Benny. We're going down to the pub tomorrow, share a few drinks with my friends. They're thinking I'm making up the time we spend together. And Saturday, you're taking me to see the latest Nickolas Sparks movie. You can call it research if you makes you feel better, but I'm going to call it fun. And you have to buy me popcorn and candy. I plan to sugar up and get giggly."

I watched him closely while I made my little speech I had practiced for a week, hoping for a positive reaction. He looked startled at first, but soon had a tight little smile, trying not to grin, I suspected.

"You're right. Time to stop hiding out like criminals. Let's do it right. Wear a nice dress, and I'll get my best suit cleaned.

He was suitably impressed when he picked me up, and I just threw my ensemble together, if you count agonizing over every dress I owned for six hours, trying to decide which one to wear just tossing it together.

I settled on one I loved but never wore, because I thought it too daring for a woman my age. I bought it on impulse and had never worn it publicly.

It had a plunging neckline, and while I wasn't overly endowed I still had a nice chest. I was wearing a bra I had never worn in public either, an uplift number that basically just put my girls on a shelf for inspection. It had a matching thong, the first one ever to touch my fanny. It felt...odd, but pleasant. Thigh highs and three inch heels, something that hardly ever graced my feet, completed my outfit.

I wore a single strand of pearls and matching earrings, my natural[bottled] auburn hair worn down instead of my usual bun.

He stood for just a second when I opened the door. Then he grinned.

"Young lady, is your mother home? We have a date tonight, and I want to see if she needs to take her walker with us."

qhml1
qhml1
8,964 Followers