Finding Love

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
GatorRick
GatorRick
771 Followers

The professor was sitting at his desk with his back toward the door. As he turned around in his desk chair his mouth fell open.

"Frederick", he exclaimed. "Mein Gott," lapsing into German "is it really you? It must be five, no ten, years since I've seen you."

Answering him in German, I replied. "Ja. It has been ten years since I took your class in Quantum Mathematics. But, we should speak in English, as Susan doesn't speak German."

"Ach! I am sorry Susan. It is somewhat of a shock to see Frederick again after all these years." He stood and walked around his desk to shake my hand and then engulfed me in a bear hug.

"It's good to see you again, Paul." I should have, at least, called you when I returned to Gainesville. But things have been somewhat hectic the past few days. Please don't be too upset with me for my bad manners."

"Frederick, Susan, please sit. I must hear everything of what you have been doing since you graduated. Susan, I must tell you many things about Frederick. Things I am sure he has not told you about himself."

For the next hour Professor told Susan everything about his relationship with me.

He knew me as Frederic Karl Steiger, my legal name. I preferred to be called Rick, but he couldn't change his old ways. I was an eighteen year old student enrolled in the most advance mathematics courses the university had to offer. I excelled in his classes and he did everything he could think of to test my capabilities. He told her he could never find anything I could not handle.

After a while we had become more than just student and professor, we became friends. When my parents were killed in the car accident, he became much more than just my friend. When he learned of my commitment to the Navy, he was unhappy about it, but did everything he could do to encourage me to pursue my dreams.

Susan sat spellbound listening to all he had to say.

Finally, she looked at me and asked, "So what you said about calculus being so hard wasn't exactly true? Why did you let me think you had difficulties with it too?"

"Because, if I said it was easy, you would think you were the only one to struggle with it. I didn't want you to develop a fear of higher level mathematics. I am sorry if I misled you."

It was then that Paul jumped back into the conservation explaining to Susan that one of the best things about me was my ability to teach others without making them feel uncomfortable or inadequate. He always thought I should have become a university professor and utilized my talent.

For the next half hour I caught Paul up on what I had been doing since graduation. I did not talk about any of my awards or commendations as I didn't want to him to think I was anything but the student he had come to respect and care about. I am sure he noticed the ribbon bars on my uniform but refrained from asking about what they represented.

After a quick lunch, Susan went to her only class of the day and I went over to Van Fleet Hall where the NROTC quarters were located. After reporting to the commanding officer, I went to the executive office and asked if there was anything I could do help or encourage any of the midshipmen.

"Any time you could devote would be greatly appreciated", he told me. I am sure the CO had my service record in front of him before I left that afternoon and the word would be passed around very quickly.

As Susan left her class and walked to the Reitz Student Union where we had agreed to meet, a lot of questions swirled around in her thoughts. Why did her father invite Rick into his home? . . . why was he so open about his awards and medals with her young nieces and not with adults? . . . why didn't I say anything about Professor Jaeger before they went to his office? She realized that there was a lot more to this young man who had entered her life.

After meeting up at the student union, they walked to her car and drove back home. All she could get him to talk about was his visit to Van Fleet Hall and his plans to go there to help out where ever he was needed. Try as she might she couldn't get him to answer any of the questions swirling about in her mind.

Upon arriving home they were met by her father who asked Rick if he could have a word with him in private. This request just fueled her desire to find out what was going on.

Entering the library, John closed the door behind us, leaving Susan standing in the hallway frustrated with curiosity.

"Rick, I've had a telephone call from Admiral Sanderson's office at the Pentagon this afternoon. They told me that the entire operation was to be de-classified and that the story would break in the near future, complete with the edited versions of the capture video."

"Well, you know what that will mean?," was my reply.

"Yeah." He answered. "There will be a lot of reporters and media people nosing around asking all kinds of questions. Are you up to facing them?

"What choice do I have? I feel uncomfortable being in the spotlight. Can you help minimize the interviews?"

"Sure. We'll decide after we see what will be facing you after the story breaks.," he promised.

Chapter Five

It was the following Monday night and Susan had a date with her boyfriend, Tyler. I happened to be in the main house talking with Scott and Patricia when he showed up. While waiting for Susan to finish getting ready, he walked into the library and interrupted our conversation. The whole thrust of his conversation was to make us aware of just how important he was in his position as a teaching assistant to one of the English professor at Santa Fe Community College. He just went on and on, never giving us a chance to talk.

After a few minutes Susan appeared and they left. She looked absolutely beautiful and Patricia immediately picked up the look on my face.

"I don't know what she sees in that pompous asshole. He's so full of himself I don't think he even noticed how pretty she looked tonight. But you did, didn't you?," directing her comment to me.

"Scott, why don't you and Rick go out and have a few beers. I'll stay here with the kids as mom and dad left for New York earlier today," talking to her husband giving him a slight wink and knowing look.

"Great idea, hon. Come on Rick you need to get out and have a little fun," he said to me adding, "you better get a jacket as it is a little nippy out tonight."

I agreed and went to grab a jacket from my room. While I was gone Patricia gave Scott his instructions of what to do for the evening.

Settling back in the front seat of Scott's Ford F-150 extended cab pickup we took off for downtown Gainesville. "The first place we're going to is called 'Stubbies and Steins'. They have over 400 different beers. If you can't find one there that you like, it doesn't exist." Scott explained. "And it is a different sort of crowd there. Mostly older and professionals. It's not really a student hangout."

He was right. The place was relatively quiet with the patrons enjoying a quality drink in a German beer hall atmosphere. I had two beers and Scott only one as he was driving.

Two hours later we were headed to a place right across the street from the campus called 'The Swamp'. This was definitely a student hang-out, but not very noisy or crowded tonight as it was a Monday night after a big football weekend. We found a couple of seats at the bar and ordered drinks; bourbon for me and club soda for Scott. Turning around to survey the sparse crowd, Scott nudged me and pointed to a table on the other side of the room.

"Well, will you look who's here. It's the asshole.," Scott said.

I looked over and sure enough, there sat Susan and Tyler along with another couple and two other guys. From what I could see it appeared that Tyler was monopolizing the entire conversation at the table.

I turned away and said. "Maybe we should just finish our drinks and find someplace else to go."

"Too late for that." Scott said. "She's seen us and is headed our way."

As I turned back around Susan said. "Scott...Rick... what are you two doing here?"

Before she could say anything else, Tyler walked up with a decidedly unhappy and angry look on his face. "Hey guys. What's the reason for your being here? You were just leaving, right?"

I had just about as much as I could stomach from this jerk but before I could reply Scott spoke up.

"I don't think that is any of your business. What? Do we need your permission to drink here now? So why don't you just take your ass back to your friends and sit down. Maybe they are impressed with you, but we're not," he said with a good deal of venom in his voice.

Susan then directed a tirade at me. "You have no business here. You are embarrassing me no end. Just leave! Get out of my life! I don't want to see you ever again! Tyler is more of a man than you could ever be! Just disappear!"

Before Scott could reply to her outburst, I grabbed him and said. "Come on Scott. No need to create any more of a scene. She's made her choice."

All of a sudden the t.v. sets that had been tuned to a replay of the previous Saturday's football game were interrupted by an announcement.

"We interrupt this programming for a message from the President of the United States."

The picture then shifted to the President standing behind a podium displaying the Presidential Seal. He was flanked by members of his staff as well as several men in uniform.

He began speaking . . . "At three AM this morning a task force of agents from Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs and the F.B.I., acting on reliable intelligence, began raiding houses and warehouse storage facilities in New York City, Washington D.C., Chicago, Los Angles and San Francisco. In these raids across the country, fifty-nine members from the Al Qeada terrorist organization were arrested and taken into custody. Also, five low level nuclear weapons were seized. These bombs were to have been detonated in the days preceding the Christmas Holidays to maximize casualties among the throngs of holiday shoppers."

He went on to say that the threat had been adverted and there was no longer any danger to American lives or property. The weapons were in the process of being disarmed and those responsible for building these weapons had been discovered and were also taken into custody by authorities overseas.

The President then answered several questions from the assembled press and media. Finally, one reporter asked. "Mr. President. Can you tell us where this 'intelligence' came from?"

"To answer that question I will defer to Admiral Sanderson, Head of the Joint Chiefs of Staff."

Stepping aside he allowed Admiral Sanderson to replace him at the podium.

The admiral explained about a rescue of an American citizen held captive in Afghanistan and the capture of two of his terrorist guards. . . . "and as it turned out one of them had been a close confidant of Osama Bin Laden and was privy to details of this plot which was, in part, to avenge his death a year earlier under a different president's administration."

The President than regained the podium and said. "I have authorized the Pentagon in making some portions of a captured video made during this raid available to the media." And with that the press conference was over.

The picture then returned back to the studio and a commentator announced that, while some of the footage had been edited, it still contained scenes of graphic violence and would not be suitable for viewing by children.

The video showed my killing and wounding of two of the three guards and the captured of the third one. In this video, John O'Hara was clearly identifiable as the victim about to be executed.

The video then showed a clip I had not seen before. In it, John and the two captured men, as well as the rest of the SEAL team, are shown on board the rescue helicopter. My unconscious and bloody body is being held my one of my team mates who could be heard yelling. "Stay with us lieutenant . . . stay with us." Then a voice shouted. "Turn that damn camera off."

At that point I grasped Scott's arm and asked him to get me out of here.

As we were leaving the suddenly quiet bar we heard a scream and I saw Susan lying on the floor and Tyler and his buddies beating a hasty retreat out a back exit.

Scott and I pushed our way through the encircling crowd and I knelt down by Susan. Feeling for a pulse and finding none I began CPR. Someone thrust a portable defibrillator into Scott's hands and he quickly passed it on to me and I attached the leads to her chest. The machine determined she was in cardiac arrest and authorized treatment. I removed my hands from her chest and activated the defibrillator to deliver an appropriate shock re-starting her heart.

At that moment paramedics arrived and began checking her vitals in preparation for transport to the emergency room at Shands Medical Center. As Scott drove to the emergency room I called Patricia on Scott's cell phone, quickly telling her what had happened and where we were going.

"I'll call mom and dad right now. Please call me as soon as you find out anything more," she said, obviously very worried about her sister.

Upon arriving Scott and I walked up to the admitting desk. Scott showed his badge and I.D. telling the nurse that Susan was his sister-in-law and wanted entrance back into the treatment areas.

"And just who are you?" she asked of me.

Before I could reply Scott answered. "He's her fiance."

With that we were granted access. Sitting in a small waiting area just outside the examination room we waited. Scott called Patricia and, speaking softly, brought her up to date.

"Patricia got a hold of mom and dad. They are leaving New York as soon as possible and expect to be here early tomorrow morning," he informed me. "I guess all we can do now is sit and wait."

About forty-five minutes later a nurse emerged and told us the doctor would be out momentarily to speak with us. Five minutes later he walked out from the examination room and ushered us into a small office.

"She is stable right now. But if someone hadn't started CPR immediately and then used the defibrillator she quite possibly could have died. Her condition was exacerbated by two drugs we found in her system." He went on to inform us.

"We found ecstasy and another newer designer date rape drug in her blood screening. There are additional side effects of this second drug that we really don't much about," he explained.

He continued. . . "We pumped her stomach and administered some medication to counter-act the effects of these drugs. Whoever gave her the overdose damn neared killed her. She is being moved to recovery and you will be able to see her shortly. But I warn you she will be unconscious for several hours or longer."

Breathing a big sigh of relief we both thanked him for everything he was able to do for Susan.

Scott immediately called his wife and gave her the good news about her sister and looking at me, said . . . . "Why don't you go back and see her while I finish telling Patricia everything the doctor told us."

Walking back through the corridor to Recovery, I found her room and, moving a chair over by her bed, sat down and grasped her hand. "It's Rick," I said with tears in my eyes. "I'm here for you."

I may have imagined it but I thought I felt her fingers tighten around my hand.

I had heard from someone at one time that people who are unconscious can still hear what is spoken to them. So I continued to tell her how much she was loved by everyone and she would recover from this ordeal.

Unbeknownst to me, Scott had entered the room and stood behind me while I was telling her how much I loved her. He smiled and backed slowly from the room leaving me alone with her.

I must have dozed off for a while and was awakened by a nurse who came to check up on her. I still was holding her hand and when I tried to release it she gripped my fingers tightly, refusing to let go. When I turned to the nurse for help she returned my gaze and mouthed . . "stay with her."

I began speaking softly to her, repeating what I had previously told her.

A small smile creased her face as she gripped by hand tighter. Around five o'clock John, Carol and Scott entered the room and I was able to release her hand and leave.

"Before going, I whispered in her ear. "I love you. I hope you find someone else to love you and make you happy."

As I left I reflected back on the events of the previous evening and what Susan had screamed at me. I decided it would be in her best interest to leave her father's home. Finding a cab outside the hospital I had it take me back to the house and had it wait for me as I packed my few belongings. I was able to avoid Patricia as she had fallen asleep on the sofa in the living room next to the phone. I had the cab take me to one of the many hotels located out by the interstate highway and checked into the Cabot Lodge.

Chapter Six

Back at the hospital, Susan was gradually recovering consciousness. As she did her mother and father explained to her what had befallen her the night before. Looking around her room she saw her mother and father as well as Scott standing around her bed.

Looking at Scott she asked . . ."Was Rick here?"

He was with you all night. I'll go look for him." He replied.

When he returned he told her. "I couldn't find him so I called Patricia at the house where she is with the girls. She went out to his room to look for him. Honey, he's gone and all his things are gone as well. I guess he's just doing what you told him to do last night."

"And what was that?" she asked.

Scott repeated everything she had screamed at Rick the night before.

"Oh no! I heard him talking to me last night. He said he loved me. Oh, daddy! I know why you had him staying with us. It was on the news. What have I done . . . what have I done? Please, please find him for me, Scott. Please!" She sobbed.

Looking at his sister-in-law he promised to do what he could to find Rick. Actually, Scott could do quite a lot. Knowing that Rick couldn't drive and the approximate time that he disappeared, he checked with the cab companies to see if any had picked up a fare from John's address. He got lucky when one driver reported a fare from that address, a ten minute wait and then a drop off at the Cabot Lodge on Archer Road and I-75.

Returning about an hour later. Scott told the family what he had discovered and, speaking to Susan, he said, "What do you want me to do, Susan? I'm not going out there and bring him back in handcuffs and it is not my place to tell him what you want."

"I know. I know. Can you keep tabs on him until I get out of here and tell him myself how much he means to me," she answered, starting to cry.

"Sweetheart. You're not getting out of here anytime soon. It will be at least the day after tomorrow before you will be released. There are a lot of tests the doctors have to run before they can determine the extent of your recovery and you 'WILL' stay here and have them done," John stated forcefully to his daughter. His comments were echoed by her mother.

"While you're in here we'll figure out something to get him back, honey," her mom offered.

Chapter Seven

After checking into the hotel, I found my room, took a quick shower and crashed. I slept for the next sixteen hours. Waking up around ten-thirty that night I realized how hungry I was. One of the good things about a college town there is are a lot of restaurants and they stay open late. After dressing and quickly shaving and brushing my teeth, it was a short walk over to the Gainesville Ale House in Butler Plaza.

After eating and having a beer I called the the Captain of the NROTC Unit at his home. I apologized for the lateness of the hour and explained that I was no longer staying at the O'Hara residence but could be reached at the hotel and gave him my room number.

GatorRick
GatorRick
771 Followers