Fire Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Enithermon
Enithermon
1,049 Followers

"So it's not like that with everyone? They don't...." she trailed off not wanting to say what she was thinking.

"A few," he answered, "though not often." He frowned and looked down again. "If you were trying to pull away, then I apologize that I didn't respond until you said anything. The scent of your..."he paused and gave his little smile "well it clouded my senses, and told me to proceed. I will endeavour to be more careful."

"Ah, no, I don't think I did. "

He nodded. "Good then.' He looked up and held her gaze, this time with entirely human eyes. "I probably took more than I needed, I apologize. You should rest. I will bid you good night."

She nodded and watched him in awe as he smoothly exited the room. She was still on fire and every nerve tingled, how could he be so calm? It must have been the spell she was under.

"Alright fine," she groused to herself "partially the spell." She was honest enough to admit that encounter had had a rather startling affect on her. She fell back on the bed with a sigh and waited until her pulse slowed and skin cooled.

She was starting to rethink this whole arrangement, and this was only the beginning. That wasn't a good sign. She wasn't sure she could hold out very long if every time was like that. Then again he'd said he needed less, like just from her wrist perhaps, if he fed every day. So she could just make sure it happens regularly enough that it wouldn't be a problem. Satisfied with her decision she undressed and crawled under the covers and into the most comfortable bed she'd ever slept on. Maybe this wasn't so bad after all she thought mildly to herself as she drifted into a deep sleep.

The next morning she rose early enough to find the other three servants at breakfast. They bid her join them and introductions were made all around. May she'd met, she was Barin's wife of many years and had joined Barin here, as he was already a servant to Jairus and had been for quite a while. Timothy was a bit younger than the other two, though still much older than Thea. He was a quiet, and almost taciturn in his disposition, where the other two were jovial and friendly. They explained the general goings on of the place, and that Jairus, only May seemed to refer to him as master, left nearly every night and rested during the day, and that once every month or so he'd leave for about a week, sometimes more, sometimes less and return with money for supplies, which one or a few of them would journey out to collect by day. Where he went for this money they weren't clear about and seemed unable or at least unwilling to satisfy her curiosity on the matter.

She wondered if they didn't know, or if they didn't want to talk about that either. No one brought up the vampire issue, and acted like going out at night and having no windows was a perfectly normal. She could only assume that they knew, seeing as how he'd been so open about it with her. But she was happy to play along as there didn't seem to be any easy way of broaching the subject. Breakfast was leisurely, and afterward they all separated and went about chores. She tagged along after May helping with dishes and learning where everything was kept.

She offered to take care of the floors as part of her share of the chores, which May accepted gratefully, though guiltily. Thea only shushed her and said that May shouldn't being doing such things any more. The next few days proceeded in much the same fashion, with Barin showing her his garden, which had been where she thought it might, and showing her around. There was a small sitting room and a sort of study/ library on the bottom floor as well and four rooms upstairs. Apparently hers was the smallest, but that suited her just fine. It was certainly the nicest room she'd ever had.

Jairus would emerge about late afternoon and

remain indoors until the sun set, usually in the study, then he would leave until the small morning hours. The first night he did not approach her except to ask if she was finding everything alright, which seemed funny to her since the place was small enough that there were only so many places to look for anything.

She could see he was merely trying to be polite though, so she'd very politely answer yes. After which he'd nodded and left. To a certain extent she was glad he'd avoided her as she found it hard not to start blushing when he was around. The next night however, she found him out in the study and awkwardly offered him her wrist, hoping to implement her plan of making the process regular enough that it wouldn't be as overwhelming as the first time.

He'd studied her carefully than accepted. He took from her wrist only for a moment or two before releasing her. She'd felt the rush of heat, but for the short time she was able to control it. She repeated this several days in a row without incident, save perhaps a few rather embarrassing and occasionally explicit dreams which she decided were no doubt a product of the feeding.

A few night after her arrival she entered the study, as per usual, to offer herself up as a light snack, which she had been mentally calling it much to her own twisted amusement. He was sitting in a chair reading when she entered. He looked up and closed the book standing and bowing slightly to her. She nodded back and took a few steps forward.

"I just came to see if you were, ah, hungry." That didn't sound right she thought to herself.

He appraised her a moment before responding. "You know I don't need to feed every day."

She nodded. "Yes, I know. I just thought it would make it easier this way."

The slight change of expression on his face told her he understood her meaning and he nodded and reached for her. She complied and approached offering an upturned wrist, which he smoothly accepted and bit into without ceremony. She repressed her burgeoning excitement as best she could, gritting her teeth as the pulsing heat radiated through her. It seemed to be getting harder to control. Little voices in her head told her to stop trying, to just give in. The temptation to do so was not helped by the intimate sight of his handsome face bent over her hand, his eyes half shut in obvious pleasure. Was he feeling the same heat she wondered?

He pulled away with a little gasp and blinked once or twice, swallowing hard. He looked like she felt, she thought smiling bemusedly.

"Thank you" he muttered, releasing her hand and turning away.

"Any time." She said lightly. He paused at that and looked over his shoulder at her. She smirked at him and to her delight and surprise he laughed. It was a wondrous sight to see his eyes alight with something other than hunger, and it made her smile broadly. He had a wonderful laugh, deep and reverberating. Even when he recovered himself, his eyes sparkled and smiled at her.

She could see now why he didn't smile very often. When he did so fully the sharp points of his teeth were clearly visible, making his grin appear wolfish in more ways than one. He would not be able to hide his secret long it he went about smiling at every one.

"I have something for you" he said after a moment, sobering.

"Oh?"

"I returned to the village."

"Oh." She wasn't sure she wanted what he was about to give her.

"Unfortunately your house had been pretty well stripped, and much of what remained was ruined in some way."

She frowned. "How did you find my house?"

He looked askance at her as her turned to pull something from a chest in the corner.

"I guessed it was the one with 'sorceress 'misspelled across the front door and the trampled garden."

She felt like she'd been slammed in the gut. How dare they. That had been her grandparents' home, the place where she'd grown up. It wasn't much, but it was all she had, it had been her life, and the garden her life's work. Paltry though it may have been, and barely able to keep her alive, it had done so. How could they have been so low, so cruel? But then, was that worse than sending her to her death?

She blinked in surprise at the hand on her arm.

"Here, sit. I'm sorry I shouldn't have been so flippant."

She sat and covered his hand with her own. "No, it's fine, it's not you. It's them. It was my home." She added softly, resisting the burning of tears in her eyes, and the tightening in her chest.

He placed a bundle it in her lap. She looked down and recognized the bright patchwork instantly and her heart skipped a beat.

"Oh my" she exclaimed and ran her hand over it. It was a little patchwork quilt her grandmother had made for her as a baby. It was worn, and a little tattered on the edges from years of being dragged around by a small child. She'd kept it tucked away at the very back of her storage closet on a top shelf, and sometimes when she was very lonely she'd bring it out to feel her grandmothers presence surround her. No doubt it had been tucked so far back, they hadn't found it to destroy it.

She did cry then, she couldn't help herself. Just a few silent tears, she could allow herself that at least. Then she felt a hand on her back, stroking her with a comforting sympathy. It was human contact of a sort she could barely remember. She fell forward then, overcome and desperate for the comfort that she'd longed for these many years. She clung to him, wrapping her arms around his neck and sobbing into his shoulder. He knelt and caught her in his arms as she moved for him, holding her tightly, his hand still soothing her as she exhausted herself of her pain. They remained like that a long time before she pulled away and she managed to gain control over her emotions. She shied away; embarrassed at her display and at the way she'd thrown herself at him.

"Sorry, I sort of lost it there" she gave him a sheepish smile. He didn't smile back but gripped her arms, turning her and making her face him. He looked into her eyes, his face serious and eyes whirling with unspoken thoughts. Words he would never speak.

She knew what they were, she had those same words, those same thoughts locked inside of her. She knew that face. It was the face of loneliness. But right now, for her, it was also the face of understanding. A face that told her she needn't be alone. She felt calm suddenly, the sorrow of only a moment before having melted completely in the intensity of his gaze. She smiled more sincerely, though tiredly. He seemed to relax as well slowly dropping his hands from her shoulders and standing.

"There's more." His voice sounded thicker than normal. He cleared his throat and gave her the blanket that had slipped from her lap. She wiped her eyes with the backs of her hands and opened it. Inside was a little box. It had been under a floorboard under her bed.

"How did you find it?"

"

Not human." he reminded her, returning her surprised look with his more standard spectre smile.

She looked down and opened it. It was where she kept everything of any real worth. What little money she had, her grandparents' wedding rings, a necklace her mother had owned...all that was left of her, a tiny carving of a horse in soap stone her grandfather had made her, and a tiny black pearl. It was a strange thing to have. She'd never seen a real pearl, never mind a black one. When she found it her grandmother had convinced her it had been left by faye in the woods. She'd been charmed by the thought and returned to the spot often as a child looking for more fairy treasure.

She held the oddity in her palm and smiled down at it.

"What is that?"

"A black pearl."

"Those are rare. Where did you get it?"

"I found it, near the very stream you took me too actually. In that same glade." She blinked at that remembrance, what a strange coincidence.

He was frowning at her. She frowned up at him in return. He turned away and pulled something else from the chest that had produced her blanket.

She could see it was a short blade of some sort. The blade shone in the candle light, and had a sinister curve to it. The handle was wrapped in what looked like red silk and as he approached she noticed the hilt was studded with black rounds...which it dawned on her must also be black pearls.

"I wonder" he muttered absently and turned the handle towards her allowing her to inspect the design. The pearls ran in a twisting pattern, running from smallest to largest, except there was a single pearl missing. She looked at the little pearl in her hand and placed it into the little gap. It fit perfectly, its size and shape matching the narrowing curve of the design. She smiled and grinned up at him.

"I guess it was vampires then...and not fairies." He cocked his head at her.

"My grandmother told me fairies had left it." She explained. He returned her smile and chuckled. He pulled the pearl out and put it back in her hand.

"What's this?"

He shrugged. "I think I like the idea that it was you who had it all this time. I could never figure out where it went. Keep it." He looked at her a minute then moved away, and re-shelved the book he had left on his chair. "I better go, it's getting late already." She nodded.

"Thank you." She called after him as he walked to the door. "For everything." He stopped and looked over his shoulder.

"Anytime.'" He turned and she didn't see his warm smile as the sound of her laughter followed him out into the evening.

Enithermon
Enithermon
1,049 Followers