Flambeaux & Staug Ch. 03

Story Info
Nick's head really really hurt.
1.5k words
4.31
11.7k
00

Part 3 of the 11 part series

Updated 10/17/2022
Created 11/25/2002
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Nick gleefully approached the vehicle with a bit of a jump in his step. He bent forward toward the driver's window as it rolled down and a male police officer turned his head to him.

Nick excitedly addressed him. "Hello, officer," he beamed.

The cop cut him off with his hand in a somewhat impatient manner. "What the hell is going on in this town?"

Nick's smile flickered. "I...I haven't the slightest clue. I thought that you-"

"I'm up here because we lost contact with a car in this area about an hour ago; I was sent to investigate alone, because my damned partner has to be at her daughter's piano recital or some shit."

Nick didn't bother trying to calm him, fully understanding how he felt. "What are you doing here?" the officer asked sharply, his brown eyes scanning Nick for anything suspicious. "I've been driving around for a good ten minutes and you're the only person I've found... what's going on?"

Nick shrugged and offered a weak smile. "Believe me, if I knew, I'd tell you."

The cop looked hard at Nick and pulled out his radio mike. "I-"

He looked at it and hit it a few times. He then hit the radio a few times, of course to no avail. "Goddamnit!" he cursed. He threw the mike back at the dashboard angrily and opened the door. He pulled a pack of cigarettes out of his pocket, retrieved one and lit it. He took a long drag and leaned against the car. "You want one?"

Nick shook his head. "No thanks, I don't smoke," he replied. To this the officer shrugged and put the pack away. "My name's Matt," he offered, extending his hand to Nick. Nick shook it nervously, his uncertainty and fear came back, realizing the situation was no closer to being solved than it was before. At least he could get out.

"Nick."

"How did you get here, Nick?"

Nick almost laughed. "I woke up in an abandoned house with a dead body next to me. I left and decided to try and find my way out of this place, but so far, no dice."

Matt ran his hand through his short blond hair and brought the cigarette to his lips once again. "If that's the case, lead me to the house."

Nick knew his story was not the most believable thing, so he agreed. Once Matt threw his cigarette butt onto the ground, Nick grabbed the back door handle. Matt laughed. "I haven't arrested you yet," he grinned. "You can sit up front."

A small smile crawled over Nick's face as he walked over to the passenger's side. He got in and Matt drove down the street. "So where are we going?" Matt asked. "Turn left at the liquor store, and go straight until you get there," Nick answered. "I'll remember it."

Matt drove until Nick told him to stop at a white two story house. The house was in terrible condition, the paint cracked and torn all over, windows boarded, and a front door that was not fully closed. Matt saw it and finally believed Nick's story.

Matt parked in the driveway and they got out somewhat tensely. Matt had his hand just over his holster, but Nick wasn't the least bit worried. He had just been here, and murderous people weren't exactly tripping over each other to kill him. Then again, there was a possibility that he wasn't meant to wake up. A chill ran down his spine and he immediately became as alert as he was when he was in the house the first time.

Matt pushed the door opened and drew his gun, and Nick cursed himself for not making sure it had been closed. He could swear he'd heard a click, but it was a bit thunderous and a light sound like that might've been hard to detect. "Up the stairs, there's a bedroom with an old man's body with a bullet in his head, and that's what I woke up."

Nick slowly followed Matt, who had his gun pointed out in front of him, his hands trembling. Nick stopped at the base of the stairs and looked at the room he'd been in no more than half an hour ago, still hoping that he'd wake up in his bed at his home.

"Uh, Nick?"

Nick turned his head up the stairs and responded. "Huh?"

"Hey Nick, there's no body in here."

"Are you in the right room?"

"I'm in the only room."

Frustrated, Nick walked up the stairs and entered the room and looked at the mirror in front of the bed. His heart nearly stopped at what he saw.

"Before you die, you will see my face" was scrawled across the cracked glass in blood. Matt had assumed that was there before, but it obviously wasn't. Nick's throat immediately went dry and he couldn't speak, or even utter a sound. His white shirt clung to him like a shroud, and he suddenly felt the need to remove his coat. Matt turned to him and saw his paling face. "What's up?"

"Th-th-that mirror..."

A pang of fear stabbed Matt deep in the chest. "That wasn't on the mirror?"

Nick shook his head weakly. "L-let's get out of here," he managed hoarsely. Matt nodded enthusiastically and they headed down the stairs, not really paying any attention to anything. Matt kept his gun drawn as he and Nick ran out the door and to the car. That was when Matt abruptly stopped. "Wait," he told Nick. Nick stopped and looked at him as though he was crazy. "What the hell are we stopping for?" he asked heatedly. "We've got to get out of her, end of fucking story."

"That's not my car, Nick," Matt said shakily. Nick squinted at him. "What do you mean?"

Matt pointed at the wheels, and sure enough they were not what Nick had seen when Matt's car first pulled up to him. "And that's not all," Matt said. He pointed to the back of the car and directed Nick over to the back window. Nick saw what he was pointing at and almost vomited on his shoes. There were two charred corpses sitting in the backseat.

* * *

The man drove down the street until he remembered the police officer's bodies. The plan was to let the bodies turn to ash, but he had a new idea. He stopped the car and turned around, grinning slyly. This was good. Maynard liked to fuck with people's heads, and if the guy in that house was still alive, he was going to have some fun.

Maynard drove until he reached the still flaming bodies. He stopped by them and looked for anything that may put the already calming fire out. Spotting a black blanket in the back, he got out and opened the back door. Grabbing it, he laid it over the bodies and walked over it, careful not to crush any bones. After a couple of minutes of this, Maynard was satisfied and wrapped the blanket around his hands. He carefully placed the bodies in the back seat and placed the blanket tastefully over their laps. Laughing, Maynard closed the door and sat inside the driver's seat. Rather pleased, Maynard drove back to the house. The only problem had been the old man, but the other was just kind of there for fun. Maynard loved this sort of thing, and he'd hoped the tranquilizer he'd shot the man with wasn't enough to kill him. Actually, he'd probably wake up once he was there, so Maynard wasn't too worried.

The driver's license identified the man as Nick Harvey, a resident of Crikside, a town on the other side of Hillton. Maynard had accidentally killed people before with his methods, some people that were needed, which never failed to anger his boss. Maynard learned his lesson though. Whomever the assignment involves would receive minimal force. Instead, he'd grab someone on his way to his assignment and use them. It was still to fail him, and he quite liked it. Maynard scratched his goatee as he neared the house. He parked erratically in the street and headed inside. He walked up the stairs and saw that Nick was gone.

"Fuck!" he exclaimed. He was in deep shit now. Nick had never even been a factor in this job, if he got Maynard caught, then his boss was most certainly not going to offer any help. He'd pissed him off too many times. Fear ran through Maynard when he suddenly remembered the town entrance. It was the only way in and out of the town by vehicle, and on foot any other way was rather difficult. In fact, it had been the sole reason that Aftersun was selected for this job. He had to secure that point. He could not afford to botch another assignment. Maynard furiously drove his fist into the mirror and wrote an angry message to Nick in blood for the rare case that he'd come back. Licking the wound on his knuckles, Maynard grabbed the old man's body and hoisted it over his shoulder. Once outside, he placed it in the trunk and literally jumped into the driver's seat. Filled with determination, Maynard rushed to the town entrance.