Forbidden Lovers: A Second Chance

Story Info
MaryBeth and Christopher get a second chance at happiness.
11.2k words
4.53
19.2k
3
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This is a fictional story and is the last one in my "Forbidden Lovers" series.

I wanted to thank all of the people who read this series and wrote reviews which inspired me to write another chapter and give my characters what I hope you will see as a proper ending.

*

Well it felt to Christopher like it was his last breath, but what he didn't know was that he would get that second chance that he so rightfully deserved. Call it karma or fate or what you will, but someone was looking out for Christopher that day. The EMT team arrived at the scene shortly after the man in the other car called them. They were able to remove the piece of glass from Christopher's neck. One of them pulled out a gauze pad and held it to the wound applying as much pressure as possible. Another one wrapped his neck with a bandage keeping the gauze in place and freeing their hands to start CPR. One of the EMT members checked Christopher for signs of life. What he noticed was that Christopher was in fact breathing but very weak and his heart rate was dangerously low. He was unconscious and not far from death so they hooked him up to a respirator to help him get the oxygen his body so desperately needed. The man also noticed that both of Christopher's legs appeared to be broken and he had several small and medium lesions on his body that were bleeding slightly. Then they loaded him into the ambulance and headed for the hospital. During this time a third member checked out the other man who only had a few minor cuts and bruises and was soon on his way home.

At the hospital Christopher was rushed into the ER for emergency surgery. The doctors cleaned out the wound in his neck and with several stitches were able to sew it back together. They were careful to be sure that there were no remaining shards of glass in his neck. Next they examined his other cuts, removing glass, cleaning them off and sewing some of the deeper ones and simply bandaging the more superficial ones. The doctors found that his legs were shattered in several places and they had to set the bones and graft some bone from his hips and knees to repair the damage. Then they had to place both legs in long casts to keep them immobilized so the bone could heal correctly. While in the ICU the doctors and nurses kept a close eye on Christopher waiting for him to wake up. His breathing and heart rate had been steadily increasing now that his body was experiencing less trauma. Plus the pain medication was helping to relax him and this was a good thing. The doctors were optimistic that he would wake up, but they knew he would have a long recovery ahead of him.

Upon his arrival to the hospital the EMT members had given his information to one of the nurses and she had managed to identify and contact his parents. They jumped into their car and started the 2 hr drive to the hospital near their son's school. They were worried sick about him. All they knew was that had been in a bad auto accident and had arrived at the hospital in critical condition. They loved their son and wanted to be there for him and were praying that he would make it through this ordeal and come out alive and well. When they arrived at the hospital a nurse led them back to the ICU so they could see Christopher and talk to one of the doctors who had performed the surgery. They had not been prepared to see their son in such a rough condition. They were shocked by the big stitches in his neck, the numerous wounds on his body, and the casts on his legs. In addition to those more obvious wounds Christopher was black and blue on most of his body. The doctor came to talk to them and he explained the extent of the injuries. "Mr. and Mrs. Miller I am doctor Smith. I was one of the doctors who operated on your son."

"How is he doctor? Mr. and Mrs. Miller asked almost simultaneously."

"The accident was pretty bad and your son was thrown through the windshield. He had a piece of glass cut his throat, slightly sever an artery and puncture a lung. We were able to repair the artery and stop the bleeding. The lung only contained a small hole, which we stitched and expect to heal soon enough. The other cuts and bruises have all been sterilized and will heal in time. "

"And what about his legs?" Mrs. Miller asked.

"His legs have been shattered in several places," the doctor explained. "We set them and grafted bone from other places to repair the damage. He will need to wear those casts for several weeks. Then after a month or two of physical therapy I expect he will be walking again."

The doctor explained that Christopher's bones would be very week when he came out of the casts, from those weeks of being immobilized and unused and the therapy would help strengthen them again. Mr. and Miller said they understood and took the doctor's referral for a therapy center near the school and agreed to have Christopher check back in with the doctor every few weeks to see how he was progressing. Once left alone Mr. and Mrs. Miller went and sat at their son's bedside talking softly to him and willing him to hold on and fight to wake up soon. Mr. Miller held his wife's hand and reminded her that their son was strong and he would pull through this. As Christopher slept he dreamed of MaryBeth and of them having a happier life. He wasn't quite sure if he was experiencing the after life or a dream of what they could have been or still be in this life. All he knew was that it was sweet and he wanted more than anything to get there.

Meanwhile, a few states away MaryBeth had already arrived at her old friend Stacy's house and was settling in. Stacy welcomed MaryBeth and her daughter with open arms and allowed them to stay as long as they liked. She had already discussed it with her husband and daughter who was about the same age as Erin. The two girls were introduced and went off to play. MaryBeth sat with Stacy and they talked over a glass of wine. She told her friend of all that had happened these past months and how torn up she felt about the whole ordeal. She explained how she was ready to leave Alejandro and how Christopher had come into her life and how she had loved him, gotten fired and now found herself here. Stacy was very supportive of her friend and her desire for a divorce. She had only met Alejandro once briefly, but had not liked the fact that MaryBeth had come home from Peru with this strange man. Stacy tried to understand what her friend was going through, but she didn't quite comprehend it all.

"Can I ask you something?" Stacy asked.

"Of course you can," answered MaryBeth

"Well, I see why you wanted to get away from Alejandro, and the school, but if you love this young man so much why did you just leave him there?"

"Well, it's complicated," MaryBeth answered.

"Does it have to be?" Stacy replied.

MaryBeth thought about her friend's comment. On the one hand there was a lot to digest with her firing and her divorce and the fact that now everyone knew of her relationship with Christopher. However, on the other hand she could not hide from all of these issues forever. She could file for divorce, and then of course after spring break was over Erin would have to go back to school and MaryBeth knew she needed a job. She would have to find a place to live as she wanted no part of that house she had shared with her husband. MaryBeth thought about Christopher and the reality of what might have been possible. Stacy could see that her friend was lost in thought and she encouraged her to consider all the options. She told her friend that if she loved this Christopher then why shouldn't she be with him? MaryBeth had wondered if her decision for a clean break had been a bit rash and if maybe she hadn't taken the time to assess the situation. It was decided that she would take a few days to think over her choices. After all it was break time from Erin's school and MaryBeth was out of work so she had nowhere to be.

That night as MaryBeth slept she tossed and turned feeling so conflicted about the way she left things with Christopher. She knew in the back of her mind that she still loved him very much. After all none of this was Christopher's fault. It wasn't his fault that her husband was a prick, or that the truth had come out about their affair, or her firing. All Christopher had done was fall in love with her and make her feel better than she ever imagined. She also knew that she was guilty of that same crime for she had fallen just as hard for him and she knew the way he was when they were together and how he felt for her.

Back at the college Christopher's friend Brad was wondering why he hadn't seen his friend recently. They had adjoining singles and it seemed as if Christopher had not been back to his room all day and night. The next morning Brad was watching the local morning news as he prepared to head off to breakfast and his morning class. It was then that he heard the news. Brad was shocked to hear of the gruesome accident his good friend had experienced and decided to go see him at the hospital. He called a classmate and asked him to relay a message to the professor that he would be missing class to go and see a friend in the hospital. Brad arrived at the hospital and found Christopher's parents semi dozing in the waiting room. Christopher and Brad had been friends since they had met in class freshman year and Brad had met Mr. and Mrs. Smith on several occasions. Brad placed a hand gently on Mrs. Smith's shoulder and she opened her eyes. She gave Brad a hug and cried in his shoulder. Mr. Miller heard his wife's tears and woke up and noticed his son's good friend there. They shook hands and then talked. Brad told them he had come as soon as he heard of the accident on the news. Mr. Miller told him of Christopher's condition and how they were waiting for him to wake up. They found a nurse, who said that Christopher had been taken to his own room in the night, was very stable and expected to wake up sometime today. They all made their way to his room to await his awakening.

At this same time Ana another Hispanic Studies professor at the college was at home preparing to leave for work when she heard about the accident on the news. She recognized the name as Christopher had been in a couple of her classes and she remembered him as a good hardworking student. She hoped that he would make a full recovery. Ana was also a good friend of MaryBeth's and she wondered if she knew about the accident. Ana didn't really know all of the details of MaryBeth's situation, but she knew her friend was no longer working at the college and some how Christopher was involved. She suspected that the boundaries of the student-teacher relationship had been crossed. Ana felt it wasn't her place to judge her friend, but she thought MaryBeth deserved a phone call so she could know what was happening.

At Stacy's house MaryBeth and Stacy were outside sitting on the porch talking while the girls played. MaryBeth was saying that she had at the very least decided to go ahead with the divorce and had called her lawyer to schedule an appointment for later this week to sign the papers. It was then that her cell phone rang. MaryBeth noticed Ana was calling and she wondered what she could have wanted.

"Ana what's going on?" MaryBeth asked.

"Are you home now?" Ana asked.

"Now I am out of town for several days why?" MaryBeth answered.

"I just thought you deserved to know that there was an accident."

"An accident? What do you mean?" MaryBeth questioned.

"Christopher Miller was in a bad auto wreck and he is in the hospital. He was critical last night and that is all the news reporter said."

"Thank you Ana, I appreciate the call."

MaryBeth felt sick at the feeling that Christopher was in a hospital bed fighting for his life. She couldn't help but feel somewhat responsible for his situation. She didn't know the circumstances surrounding the accident, but she did know that he had not been in his right state of mind when she left him in her office yesterday. MaryBeth told Stacy she had to go and could she watch Erin awhile. Stacy agreed to watch the girls and take them to the park to play with others. MaryBeth said goodbye to her daughter, got in her car and made her way to the hospital. She wasn't sure what she was going to do when she got there. She was sure his parents would be there and maybe some friends and she would be unwelcome to say the least. However, she had to see him even if from afar so she could know how he was.

A few hours later MaryBeth pulled into the hospital parking lot and made her way inside. She asked about Christopher at the front desk, but the nurse said that she wasn't able to give out that information to anyone who wasn't family. MaryBeth wandered around thinking of what to do when she heard some nurses talking about this young man in room 212 and how his vital signs were good and the doctors expected him to wake up any time now. Based on what they said MaryBeth decided there was a good chance they were talking about Christopher so she made her way to room 212. She stood back a bit and looked into the room. She saw a man and woman who she assumed were Mr. and Mrs. Miller. Mrs. Miller was holding her son's hand. Then she noticed Brad and while she didn't know his name at first she knew she had seen him before walking on campus with Christopher. She knew Christopher had talked a lot about one good friend in particular, but the name escaped her. Brad happened to glance at the window and noticed a woman standing outside looking in. MaryBeth turned and started to walk away. Brad told the Millers he would be right back and he left the room. He knew the woman looked familiar as he followed her down the hall. Brad caught up with MaryBeth before she was able to catch the elevator and he put a hand on her arm. MaryBeth turned around and it was then that he recognized her as a professor. He wondered what she was doing here, looking in at them all in Christopher's room.

"You're a professor at the college?" Brad asked.

"Yes, well I was up until recently I taught Spanish," MaryBeth replied.

"What are you doing here?"

"I came to see how Christopher was."

"Well, obviously, but why?" Brad questioned.

MaryBeth was thinking of how she should go about answering Brad's question when Brad had a revelation of sorts. Before MaryBeth could say anything he started to speak.

"It was you, you're the one," Brad exclaimed.

"What?" MaryBeth said.

"I knew something was up with Christopher these past several months. I knew he was seeing someone, but he would never talk much about it. He just kept saying it had to be kept on the down low. Then there were those pictures around campus. I didn't recognize the face, but it all makes sense. You got fired and now my good friend is fighting for life."

"Allow me a chance to explain myself," MaryBeth stated. "I could really use your help," she added.

"This better be good," Brad said.

MaryBeth told Brad of how when she got fired she got angry and she just up and left. She thought that she needed to get away from everything in her life that was causing her conflict and just start over. Then she told him that the news of the accident changed everything. That she had realized the error of her ways and that she wanted to set things right. She wanted to make amends with Christopher and start their relationship over and make it last this time. Brad could see that MaryBeth seemed genuine in her concern and feelings for Christopher. He explained to her Christopher's condition and how he had a long recovery ahead of him. He told her Christopher would be busy with doctors, physical therapy and trying to finish up school. Brad said he felt that Christopher had enough issues, without having to deal with MaryBeth's return and all the drama that was sure to follow.

MaryBeth said that she completely understood where Brad was coming from and she agreed with him. She said she wanted Brad to watch out for Christopher and to help him to stay on track with his recovery and to finish school. She explained she also had issues to resolve before she felt she could give herself fully to Christopher. It was agreed that Brad would do what he could to look out for his friend and to keep MaryBeth informed about the progress he was making. MaryBeth agreed to keep her distance for the time being and to tie up all the loose ends in her life. Then when things had settled down for the both of them she would come to him and ask for his forgiveness. As she got on the elevator MaryBeth found it very hard to leave the hospital. She felt more than anything that she should be in that room with the rest of them. She loved him and maybe if he knew that he would find reason to wake up. She reminded herself of what Brad had said and she focused her mind on getting her life in order. With that she called her lawyer to see if he could see her today and he said he had some time free now if she wanted to come to the office. MaryBeth headed over to see the lawyer and discuss the particulars of her divorce.

Back in room 212 Mrs. Miller felt Christopher's hand squeeze hers and she jumped at the sensation. "He just squeezed my hand!" she exclaimed. "I think he is waking up!" she added. Mr. and Mrs. Miller started to talk to their son asking if he could hear them and open his eyes. Brad went out to look for a nurse and have her contact the doctor. Christopher started to feel a pain throughout most of his body. It wasn't a sharp pain but more of a dull throbbing pain. He noticed that his vision was somewhat blurred, but he thought he saw the figures of his mother and father. He blinked his eyes a few times and things started to become clearer. By this time the doctor had come into the room and Brad followed behind him. Christopher wasn't sure who that strange man was, but he sure recognized his good friend. He turned his attention to his parents who were obviously trying to speak to him.

"Christopher can you hear us?" they both said.

"Yes mom and dad, I can. What's going on?" Christopher asked.

"You had an accident dear." His mom said.

"You are in the hospital son." His dad added.

Christopher was still trying to get his bearings and remembered what had happened and just why he was in the hospital. It was then that Dr. Smith stepped forward and introduced himself. He explained about the car accident and the injuries that had been sustained. Christopher looked at himself and could see he was in bad shape and it wasn't a pretty site. Then he thought of MaryBeth and remembered what had transpired and he wondered how much time had past since then. He also wondered where she had gone and if he would ever see her again. However, he knew that this was not the time and place to bring up such questions.

The doctor gave Christopher a full check up and it seemed as though he was stable aside from the broken bones and bruises. The doctor explained that Christopher's body had experienced severe trauma and how would be very tired for a few days. He suggested that Christopher stay in the hospital a few more days for observation and rest. Brad shook his friend's hand and told him it was great to have him back. Brad agreed to update all of Christopher's professors and friends of his condition and to let them know he would be returning soon and do his best to catch up on the work he had missed.

Brad said he had to get back to the college and left the family alone. Mr. and Mrs. Miller talked with their son about his condition and the therapy he would be doing. Mrs. Miller insisted on staying around for the first few days after Christopher went back to the college. She would get a hotel room and help him adjust back into the dorms and classes.

Brad, she said had already agreed to do all he could to help after she went back home. He had agreed to drive his friend to therapy and make sure that everything didn't become more than Christopher could handle. Later that night Mr. Miller had to return home as he had important business to attend to at work. Mrs. Miller stayed with her son comforting him and caring for him.