Game of Life Ch. 05-06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I got the impression that Hilary had been tipped off that we'd be there. Vivian got a little flustered for a few minutes; but maybe because the children acted as if our presence was the most natural thing in the world, she seemed to settle quite quickly. I was aware of Grif giving me sideways glances for most of the evening.

Jamie and Frankie rose to the occasion very cleverly though. We hadn't been seated for more than a few seconds when they announced that their wedding date had finally been set for the following December. A rather clever move because it gave the excuse regarding Liz's and my presence; and it took the wind out of the "which parent do they tell first" argument.

I tried to play the whole evening as coolly as I could, but I did find myself appraising Grif's worth as a husband for Vivian, whether I wanted to or not. Liz had to kick me in the leg a couple of times when I asked what she considered to be too probing questions.

Look, a lot of guys have been there, when some young suitor turns up to court their daughter. Well, can I help it if I had the same fatherly instincts about the guy who was — or at least trying to — court my ex-wife?

On the whole, I think the evening went off quite well. Jamie paying the bill - although both Grif and Hilary's guy wanted to argue the toss — didn't make it look like I was lording it over everyone. Whether they ever worked out that it was my card Jamie was using, I don't know.

As Liz had predicted she would, Vivian turned up to join us for lunch on the following Monday. I know what she wanted to ask, but she didn't. Liz and I acted, as it was no concern of ours — as it wasn't - that she'd found herself a boyfriend.

In the end, I think Vivian chickened out, because Liz and I - when we mentioned him - said that he seemed like a very nice guy. I can't quite recall exactly how Liz managed to bring the subject around to Grif without making it seem too obvious.

My spare time over the next few months — when I was in the UK — seemed to be taken up with plans for Jamie and Frankie's wedding. Considering that I really had nothing to do with the actual planning - that was all down to Vivian and Frankie's warring parents, Vivian I think had been playing piggy in the middle for most of it — I was surprised at how much time I spent on it ... But I had to be kept up to date — by Frankie and Vivian — so that I could step in as the big gun when Vivian couldn't get them to come to an amicable conclusion on some innocuous detail.

Eventually - with Frankie and Vivian standing behind me - I was forced to turn up at one of the planning get togethers and announce that Frankie had had enough. If the two warring parties couldn't bury the hatchet, then Vivian would organise a wedding that I would finance completely without them; what's more they wouldn't be invited. From then on Vivian was able to control things quite successfully, so that Frankie and Jamie got the wedding that they wanted.

But along the way I picked up from Jamie, Frankie and Katie, that Vivian and Grif were going strong. I figured that it wouldn't be too long before they announced their own up-coming wedding. I think I assumed that they were waiting for the marriage in the offing to be out of the way before they told everyone; because they didn't want to steal the children's limelight.

September that year saw another company soirée down to the Palace Hotel in Torquay. It was much the same kind of junket as we'd had two years previous. The difference this time being that I - and just about everyone else - was aware that Anna was going to be there from the beginning. For appearances sake, Anna officially shared Lizzie's room again, but she spent most nights with me in mine.

For the kick, most of the time the two girls dressed identically; except for the evenings when one of them would wear something to differentiate between the two of them and we ran the "guess which is Liz" sweepstake. By the end of the week the girls had accumulated almost a thousand pounds for charity.

I diplomatically threw my money in the pot every day, but I never won because I always bet on Anna. Apparently the girls still hadn't worked out that Liz had that habit of calling me boss when we were alone - usually when we were dancing - so I always knew which was which before the evening was out. Well, that's what I thought anyway!

In the privacy of my room, Anna and I did talk a lot about Liz and my feelings towards her. You can't work together as closely as Liz and I did, without an emotional relationship of some kind developing. But Liz had always been adamant — as was Anna — that she wanted to "make it" — as both girls so succinctly put it — in her chosen profession, before she settled on a life partner and got married.

"Raising children and doing a high-powered job at the same time, can't work. Something has to give and it's inevitably home life and the children." Appeared to be both girls oft repeated maxims.

I was to learn later that their mother had been a businesswoman who took over the reins of their father's company when he died at an early age. They had first hand knowledge of the repercussions that had caused in their own family and upbringing; Liz and Anna had no intentions of neglecting their own children, as they believed they had been. I'll add that neither of them blamed their mother, they knew she had done what had to be done at the time.

Where was I? Oh yeah Anna and I in my room. Yeah well, we won't go there, suffice to say Anna tried to kill me most nights. Still it was fun; I was lucky to have a friend with benefits such as Anna. I was really sorry to see her board that plane to fly back to Canada.

"Ask her nicely, and I'm sure Liz will keep you warm at night!" Anna had whispered in my ear as I kissed her good-bye at Heathrow.

"You've got to be joking Anna. Liz is far too important to me to risk doing anything like that with."

"Silly boy!" She replied, then she turned away and walked through the departure gate.

After that seminar I spent some time in Sweden, flying backwards and forwards several times during the month. I managed to nip over to Denmark to see Semine and her son Jahn a couple of times. But by that time Semine was hooked up with a really nice local guy. I did wonder if he realised just how close friends Semine and I had been at one time; but if he did he showed no sign of the knowledge. He didn't even blink an eyelid when Semine enthusiastically kissed me at the ferry terminal. I tended to use the ferry when I could because I always enjoy a boat trip.

We'd arranged for Semine's daughter Edla — Ed or Eddie to most people when she was in the UK - to do a one-year internship at my company, lodging with Vivian whilst she was in the country. Oh yeah, Vivian had always known all about Semine, she'd met her and both of her children as well.

Of course I'd been making a point; it seemed the most sensible thing to do at the time. Maybe a little hard on Vivian, but it had helped to drive home the point.

Katie was home most weekends and she and Eddie went out together a lot; the girls always had seemed to get on well with each other. But, although she had never actually said anything, her body language - when he was around — had told me that Katie would have preferred it if Edla's brother Jahn had been doing the internship. It was pretty obvious that Jahn had the hot's for Katie as well, what with all the excuses he found to visit his sister. Semine told me that they'd never been that close when they were younger.

Eddie — who was of course assigned to our department, seemed to be both fascinated and perplexed by Liz. As I've said before there always has this air of chaos around Liz, she still liked to play the dizzy blond all the time. But at the same time she'd amply demonstrated to everyone that she was not the fool she acted and she had her finger very firmly on everything that happened in the department. I think Eddie couldn't get her head around Liz at all, but she'd try to spend every spare minute she could in her company.

I'm not sure what happened when I was away, but every lunchtime - when I was at the office - Eddie joined Liz for lunch. At first I'd put this down to Liz keeping a friendly eye on Eddie. But, you could say that Vivian was doing the same because she and Grif took to meeting us in the café we used for lunch as well. From what Eddie and Katie told me, it was unusual to find Vivian without Grif being around somewhere by then.

It was Eddie who told me that something needed doing about Vivian and Grif; well I think that's what she was surreptitiously trying to tell me. Why else would Eddie tell me that Grif was carrying an engagement ring around in his pocket all the time, and that she'd overheard Grif asking Vivian, but she'd never given him a straight answer.

"I think that if Katie's mother doesn't make up her mind, Grif might give up eventually." Eddie informed Liz and I over coffee one afternoon.

"Well?" Liz eventually asked, after looking at me for a few seconds.

"What the hell can I do about it?" I replied.

"Jim if she's prevaricating, then you know why she is more than anyone else; or at least you should do!"

"Bleeding hell Liz, what more can I do?"

"I don't know; you're the one with all the ideas around here. But I think you'd better come up with something pretty sharp-ish." Liz insisted.

"The wedding's in a couple of weeks, we'll see what happens after that. It could be Vivian is too wrapped up in that that to think about anything else at the moment." I suggested, hopefully.

Neither Liz nor Eddie looked convinced, but they let the subject drop after that.

Jamie and Frankie's wedding day dawned sunny, but cold. It was the extravagant affair that I'd predicted; what with Frankie's warring parents trying to out do each other.

It was who was whose escort that I found interesting. Jahn and Eddie had been invited because they had got to know Jamie and Frankie well over the years. Jahn arrived with a guy in tow who spent nearly the whole time drooling over Eddie. I learnt later that he had been Eddie's boyfriend of sorts for donkey's years; I'd seen the bugger with Jahn on my visits to Denmark, but I'd never spotted that he'd been sweet on Eddie. Although Eddie was no relation to me, I think I looked at the guy with a father's quizzical eye.

Anyway Jahn was never more than a few feet from Katie all the time he was in the country, except at night; he and Eddie's guy were camping out at my place. But anyway I realised I had been correct in spotting that little romance before it had even got off the ground. By the way, Jahn and Katie are married now but only after a lot of discussion on where they were going to live. I suppose that Brugge is about as half way between, as you can get.

Vivian of course had a very smart looking Grif in tow. Christ, really we all looked like complete wanker's dressed up in those top hats and tails; but that's what Frankie - and I suppose Jamie - had wanted. I kind-a got the feeling the lad just stood back and watched things happen a little.

Where was I? Oh yeah, my escort for the day. Well it had to be Liz; she was like a surrogate mother to my kids in a way. And well ... she out-did herself. Okay the dress wasn't white, but it was as near as damn it to that famous white dress of Marilyn Monroe's, although Liz kept a cardigan or wrap around her shoulders for most of the day. Only divesting herself of it and displaying her bare shoulders and cleavage, later in the evening.

I was to learn much later that Frankie had been a little embarrassed about the rather revealing wedding dress she'd chosen. Apparently it had looked great on the model in the bridle shop, and parts of it could be removed. The train, the attachment of which also covered her shoulders, and even the outer long skirt part, so as to convert the dress into a rather swish-looking little cocktail type number; albeit flared out some, to make it more comfortable to dance in. The whole ensemble removing the need for Frankie to disappear later and change into something comfy to dance in. But the dress did display rather a lot of bare skin and cleavage.

Apparently once Frankie got the several thousand pounds worth of wedding dress home, she'd begun to chicken out of wearing it, because she thought it revealed a little too much bare skin and cleavage. Liz and Katie had come to her assistance and promised they'd wear something just as revealing. Hence the Marilyn Monroe number on Liz and a few dirty looks from her father to Katie - who smiled back at me sweetly - over her choice of evening attire.

I suppose I'd better add that Jahn beamed from ear to ear most of the time as well. The only times he wasn't beaming were when some other guy asked Katie to dance, and that included her father when he chastised for her revealing attire. I also had a go at Vivian and Liz because I was fairly sure that they'd both supposedly vetted Katie's dress for the occasion. Both quietly informed me, that I could be an old fuddy-duddy on occasions.

The day had gone off pretty well, all things taken into consideration. Frankie's parents had even had a few nice things to say about each other during their speeches; a worrying time for poor Frankie. I said my bit, telling everyone that Frankie had often seemed like she was my own daughter, she being the focus of Jamie's affections for so many years.

It was pleasant dancing with Frankie and feeling so proud that my son had captured her eventually; it hadn't always been plain sailing between them. But whilst I was dancing with her, Frankie asked me a question that I wasn't expecting.

"So dad!" The emphasis really being placed on the word dad. "When are you going to make an honest woman out of Elizabeth?"

"Sorry daughter" Frankie asked for it, she was going to learn I gave as good as I received. "I have no idea what you are talking about."

"Oh come on, Jim. There's no way in the world that Vivian is going to marry Griffith until you're married off. Have some pity on the poor guy, can't you?"

"Frankie before I can marry anyone they have to want to marry me. Liz is set on joining me on the board of directors; maybe even becoming chairman, or should that be chairwoman one day."

"Chairperson I think, dad. I'm not so sure she wouldn't jump at the chance if she had it."

"Well I think she's going to get her chance sooner than she expects. We were only talking about offering her the sales director's job last month. But for god sake don't say anything to her about it.

"No silly, not the directors job; we're all pretty sure she wants the job of being your wife."

"Now you're being silly, Frances, Liz and I have never even so much as kissed each other. We're just good friends with a brilliant working relationship."

"You think?"

"I know, Frankie. Look both Liz and her sister know where they're going and no matter what I think or would like, they are going to get there. Now let's not talk about me, how's it feel being a married woman?"

"I'll let you know when we get back from honeymoon."

"I'm not sure that's a good idea, well not the details anyway." I grinned at her.

Suddenly Frankie took me by surprise she pulled me close and kissed me full on the lips. She'd often given me a peck on the cheek over the years, but that was the first time she'd kissed me on the mouth.

"You're a married woman now Frankie, you shouldn't go kissing dirty old men like that anymore."

"Shame on the Romans." She said nonchalantly.

"What the hell have the Roman's got to do with anything?" I replied, confused some by the girl's statement.

"Didn't you know that before the Romans came along, the British guys were supposed to have shared their wives with their fathers."

"Where to hell did you hear a story like that?" I asked in disbelief.

"I can't remember now, some Roman historian wrote about it, I think. I can remember reading it when I was at school and being jealous of them. I had a real crush on you back then, you know."

"You flatter me Frankie."

"It's true, I'm sure Jamie and I wouldn't have lasted if you hadn't been there. I always thought that Jamie and Katie had the most perfect father. Mind I thought Vivian was the perfect mother as well, even if she did ... Well what I mean is even after ... you know; you didn't fight with each other all the time. My mum and dad can't say a civil word to each other most of the time."

"They did today Frankie."

"Only because I threatened to publicly disown them in front of everyone if they said a cross word to each other. I even insisted that I wasn't coming unless they promised to have one dance together, which they did. What surprised me was that they were smiling as well."

"Yeah, I noticed that. Vivian and I had been ready to step in and run interference."

"See what I mean, you and Vivian planning what you intended to do if my parents kicked off at each other again? But you're both divorced as well."

"What can I say, Frankie, some people can't get over the hate. It's a very short path between love and hate. The trouble is some people let the hate eat away at them instead of getting over it and getting on with their lives. Life's much too short to waste hating anyone. Except for maybe Billy Banks, I make an exception for him. I'm pretty sure I'd deck that bugger if I ever ran into him somewhere."

"Billy who?"

"Don't ask Frankie, I haven't been there in years."

"Oh him. I'd give him a kick or two myself, if I got the chance."

The number we'd been dancing to ended, and Jamie joined us on the floor to reclaim his bride at the same time. And he stood there grinning like a bleeding dummy, as his new wife gave me another kiss before releasing me from her arms.

A little later after dancing with Liz, I slipped out into the hotels conservatory for a quiet cigar, only to find a rather depressed looking Grif sitting out there all on his own.

"What's up mate, Vivian worn you out; she loves dancing doesn't she?" I said, trying to make it sound as if it's normal to talk about your ex-wife with her suitor.

"Tell me, Jim, did you have this trouble with her when you asked her to marry you?" Grif asked.

"Sorry mate, not quite with you." I replied.

"Look, Jim, I've asked Vivian to marry me god knows how many times, but she just won't give me a straight answer."

"She hasn't said no, has she?"

"And she hasn't said yes either. She just sort of changes the subject; I can't pin the woman down."

"Ah now, she always was pretty good at that little trick. Try asking her what she wants for her birthday or Christmas. I found it was easier to ask Katie once she was old enough."

"That's fine, but I can't really go asking your daughter if her mother will marry me can I?" Grif replied with an even more dejected tone to his voice.

I had to agree with the poor bugger.

"Yeah you got a good point there, perhaps we'd better pin her down." I suggested.

"Oh and how do I do that? I've asked her until I'm blue in the face and I never get a straight answer out of her."

"You got that ring I've heard so much about in your pocket?" I asked.

"Yeah I've always ... how did you know?" He asked, obviously taken by surprise that I knew about the ring.

"Not very much about Vivian doesn't reach my ears eventually, even if I didn't want to know. And some that I'd rather not have known as well!" I mused. "Anyway, you stay sat-sitting there and we'll see what we can do to get a straight answer for you."

Yeah well, as the father of the groom I had imbibed a little that day. Possibly the reason Frankie had been so forward; she knew she could get away with it. I'm one of those people who get merry when I've had a few.

It didn't take me long to track down Katie, I asked her to find her brother and mother and bring them both out into the conservatory. Katie arrived very shortly with not only Jamie and Vivian, but Frankie, Liz and Jahn as well.